Didn't Yoda say that once a Jedi strayed down the path of the Dark Side, they could never escape it, or something to that effect. ( I know that Vader kinda proved Yoda and Ben wrong by killing the Emperor) But still, Luke certainly dabbled with the Dark Side in his final confrontation with Vader. Maybe Luke should become the villain in the third trilogy.

The Jedi, to include Yoda as their Grand Master of the Jedi Order, were wrong on a whole lot of other things. Yoda and Obi-Wan completely believe that there was no coming back from the Dark Side. Their time with Luke and throughout his training, and up to the time Luke became strongheaded and left Degobah for Cloud City, they insisted there was no redemption. Or rather, it wasn't even brought up, that was the extent of their beliefs.

But that same stubborness, belief that Anakin had carried over into Luke. And that stubbornness, and belief in someone was what kept Luke in trying to redeem his father. Cold logic and Jedi Order doctrine would have a Jedi cut ties with and kill immediately someone that has turned. There is no room in the galaxy for these 2 polar opposites. But that Jedi Order got themselves killed from their overconfidence and arrogance in running the galaxy / Republic with the Sith being supposedly destroyed. That their once longtime, implacable foes could never, ever recover. That their enemy was sitting near them, taking with them, smiling at them the entire time at the capital of Coruscant.

Anyways, it was Luke's belief in someone, despite everybody and surrounding events telling him the opposite, that we got Anakin Skywalker to return in the end. Even when Luke was in the presence of the Emperor himself, alongside Darth Vader, aboard a gigantic battlestation staffed full of Imperial troops and personnel, with no friends nearby, that he stayed with his course of action to redeem his father.

Thanks Duke that was a great read!

Loved the bit about the over use of CG.

CG has been overused a lot. To the point where I cherish those that work hard not to have it or keep it so minimal that you hardly notice it.

CG has been overused a lot. To the point where I cherish those that work hard not to have it or keep it so minimal that you hardly notice it.

Those X-Wing, TIE, Star Destroyers, and various spacecraft models still look good.

And Duke, thanks for that post.

Those X-Wing, TIE, Star Destroyers, and various spacecraft models still look good.

And there's the catch-22 of it. They look impressive, but it's been used so much that it's hard not to have it.

Real, quality ship models will ALWAYS look good, because they physically exist in 3 dimensions, and have basically "infinite resolution". CG will always have a polygon/pixel limit, and even the best lighting/shaders are not perfect. But again--real models with real light, will always have "perfect" texture/shadows/highlights.

Real, quality ship models will ALWAYS look good, because they physically exist in 3 dimensions, and have basically "infinite resolution". CG will always have a polygon/pixel limit, and even the best lighting/shaders are not perfect. But again--real models with real light, will always have "perfect" texture/shadows/highlights.

Not really, computer models could show an infinite amount of detail - rendering it would take forever, but it could be done. The same exact constraints exist for both physical and 3D models, time and money.

Exactly. Even physical models built for films have a given "resolution" in their size/level of details and the quality of the surface finish. BTW you'll be amazed how many physical models were used in the prequels. The modelers put even more work into the perfection of these to keep up with the image quality of the CG surroundings and the requirement of digital shooting.

I really want special extended editions with the Hoth Wampa scenes edited back in. I've always been disappointed with the resolution of the Yoda/Sidious fight in the Senate (love it up the part where he falls). The original animatic is perfect with the clones coming in and shooting at him, etc.

The Jedi, to include Yoda as their Grand Master of the Jedi Order, were wrong on a whole lot of other things. Yoda and Obi-Wan completely believe that there was no coming back from the Dark Side. Their time with Luke and throughout his training, and up to the time Luke became strongheaded and left Degobah for Cloud City, they insisted there was no redemption. Or rather, it wasn't even brought up, that was the extent of their beliefs.

But that same stubborness, belief that Anakin had carried over into Luke. And that stubbornness, and belief in someone was what kept Luke in trying to redeem his father. Cold logic and Jedi Order doctrine would have a Jedi cut ties with and kill immediately someone that has turned. There is no room in the galaxy for these 2 polar opposites. But that Jedi Order got themselves killed from their overconfidence and arrogance in running the galaxy / Republic with the Sith being supposedly destroyed. That their once longtime, implacable foes could never, ever recover. That their enemy was sitting near them, taking with them, smiling at them the entire time at the capital of Coruscant.

Anyways, it was Luke's belief in someone, despite everybody and surrounding events telling him the opposite, that we got Anakin Skywalker to return in the end. Even when Luke was in the presence of the Emperor himself, alongside Darth Vader, aboard a gigantic battlestation staffed full of Imperial troops and personnel, with no friends nearby, that he stayed with his course of action to redeem his father.

Nice analysis, thanks man.

What the Jedi and Sith both don't realize is in the end they are both wrong in that they both deal in absolutes, it's all light and dark, good and evil with no middle ground with both groups. What would have been awesome, if they had made the movies in order 1->6, is for at the end of Jedi for Luke not to call himself a Jedi but some new name, let's go with Ranger here, imagine this exchange between Luke and the Emperor:

E: Yes, strike him down and take your father's place at my side.

Luke shuts off his light saber.

L: No your highness you'll never turn me.

E: Still clinging to your Jedi Ways?

Luke looks at Vader, realizes something.

L: No, I am not a Jedi, nor am I a Sith, like my father before me I am a Ranger, standing between the darkness and the light, and while he fell I am will bring him back, bringing balance to the force.

Emperor snarls at Luke.

E: So be it, Ranger!

Force lightning, and we go on from there as normal, a small but subtle change with huge implications, especially given how many people Luke has killed in the name of justice and the Jedi. I mean how many people were aboard the Death Stars, and not all were troops, there still had to be a lot of construction workers on both at their destruction.

What the Jedi and Sith both don't realize is in the end they are both wrong in that they both deal in absolutes, (...)

Interesting idea. The dialogue change doesn't quite work, simply because in the context of the movie, its something new that hasn't previously been introduced in the movie/series.

Though, come to think of it, you've essentially "reset" the concept of the jedi back to how they were depicted in the original trilogy, before been mucked up by the prequels*. :lol:

* in the sense of Jedi not ever really being defined, and Obi and Yoda dealing in absolutes as a means to train Luke, not a lifestyle choice.

• 2 weeks later...

From The Latino Review: Exclusive: Tudors Star In Talks To Join ‘Star Wars: Episode VII

Disney is working to produce a film that will continue the story of where 1983′s Episode VI: Return of the Jedi left off. Production on the seventh film in the series will start next year in the UK. Episode VII is expected to hit theaters in 2015.

Aside from the return (in an unknown capacity) of stars: Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher (WE first broke Harrison Ford coming back), not much else is known.

My right hand man El Mayimbe recently heard that a young man who has only been in one major franchise movie (in a co-starring role) was in talks to star in the new Star Wars film.

Now, my source has told me more information…

This is a name that has been thrown around a lot, especially since he has a relationship with J.J. Abrams. He appeared in Mission Impossible: III, directed by Abrams.

Sounds like he already has it.

He’s none other than…

The Tudors (2007-2010) star Jonathan Rhys Meyers.

I hope Abrams uses Rhys Meyers to better effect than in MI:3, where you almost don't notice him. He was OK as Henry VIII, but really awesome in Velvet Goldmine.

I'd wager you and I are the only two here who have seen Velvet Goldmine, Electric.

The question is, would it be Rhys Meyers with accent, or without (AKA Imperial or Republic).

• 4 weeks later...

TheForce.net: Authentic Star Wars Episode VII Casting Details Leak Online

Entertainment website Bleeding Cool today posted a leaked casting call for Star Wars Episode VII which includes vague descriptions of several roles that Disney is looking to fill in the movie. Bleeding Cool's Brendon Connelly writes, "We've verified that these are lead characters."

This was circulating earlier today, but we didn't know if it was real or another hoax. So I reached out to Lucasfilm. Company spokesman Miles Perkins has confirmed to me that the listing is genuine. He wrote, "Yes, it is correct."

Here is the casting call from the leaked document:

• Late-teen female, independent, good sense of humour, fit.
  • Young twenty-something male, witty and smart, fit but not traditionally good looking.
  • A late twentysomething male, fit, handsome and confident.
  • Seventy-something male, with strong opinions and tough demeanour. Also doesn't need to be particularly fit.
  • A second young female, also late teens, tough, smart and fit.
  • Forty something male, fit, military type.
  • Thirtysomething male, intellectual. Apparently doesn’t need to be fit.

Once again, Lucasfilm has confirmed that this casting call is real. That means that casting is now underway. Episode VII will be an original story and probably won't draw any specifics from the EU, so the characters who match these descriptions are still a complete mystery. Stay tuned as TFN brings you the latest Star Wars Episode VII news!

I think we've seen pretty much what JJ does as far as filming style. I'm more worried about story content. I've watched a lot of JJ shows and movies, they all pretty much fall apart at the end.

JJ's crew aren't writing this.

I know he has his critics....but I'm a JJ fan (more or less) and I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt here. I think it will be, if nothing else, a new and a fresh take on Star Wars. Which I believe the franchise really needs after the freakin prequels.

• 4 weeks later...

Bad Robot tweeted a picture of what everyone assumes is the new Star Wars script: http://t.co/VFvoxedpqC

In other news, Harrison Ford is having a lot of fun not confirming he is back for Episode VII at SDCC. Lots of winks, smiles, and praise for JJ being on the project, though.

Oh, there was a rumor about a month or so back that Lucasfilm had assigned personal trainers to Hamil and Fisher to get them in shape for the new movie.

Edited by Duke Togo

Rumor going around (from one source) that JJ is dropping out of directing Episode VII because it's being filmed in England and he doesn't want to film there and be away from his family.

Except his wife's support is why he took the job, and it's already been publicized that they're moving to London for the duration of the shoot. And--oh, hey--Bad Robot tweeted a picture of the script a few days ago.