I still wonder if the intro is going to contain the old 20th century fox bit, or if they're going to work up something new and disney themed. I mean.. I just hope they don't replace it with the latest 3D disney CGI intro they have.. that would look too weird.

Now.. if they pull some bit of fanfare from the existing music, and do a spot-lit flyover of the castle, it could work well. I just wonder if they'd bother to get that creative with it. :p

and that means that JJ's role & ego will go as far as putting a green JJFilmLdt at the beginning? scraping the outline? well should be a good thing (it worked for STID, didnt it? :/ )

Probably means we're gonna get some rehash-variation of Episode 4, no matter how much they try to deny it. The Sith baddie will be using some pseudo-identity and the actor will deny he/she is a Sith Lord. The mentor-Jedi sacrifice him/herself in front of the pupil just like in Episode 4. We'll have some smuggler/rebel-without-a-cause anti-hero who will shoot first. Jawas. A giant space station. Oh, and lens flare. Lots of lens flare.

and that means that JJ's role & ego will go as far as putting a green JJFilmLdt at the beginning? scraping the outline? well should be a good thing (it worked for STID, didnt it? :/ )

J.J. didn't write Into Darkness. And again, we have the conflict between public statements and insider information: we don't know how much was actually scrapped. They're still casting, location scouting, and doing a ton of design work--you don't do this if you don't know what you are shooting. Despite the "leaks," I'd wager this isn't any bigger than what happened with Empire.

Wasn't quite fond of all the things JJ Abrams was doing with rehashing Star Trek (the TOS crew of all things). However, I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt with Star Wars. With how the Prequels were handled (badly, IMO), Star Wars films can't possibly get any worse.

I will say this though: Lucas and his boys knew how to promote the movies. I'm curious to see how well these sequels are promoted, esp. with the money of Disney backing it.

Edited by Warmaker

I still wonder if the intro is going to contain the old 20th century fox bit, or if they're going to work up something new and disney themed. I mean.. I just hope they don't replace it with the latest 3D disney CGI intro they have.. that would look too weird.

Now.. if they pull some bit of fanfare from the existing music, and do a spot-lit flyover of the castle, it could work well. I just wonder if they'd bother to get that creative with it. :p

I can't remember which movie it was but I thought Disney did do a modified opening shot of the Castle once.

Fret not, I'm sure Disney will do as good a promotional job as they brought to bare with John Carter. :ph34r:

John Carter was actually a decent film, it was the marketing that was totally screwed up along with the whole boondoggle with the word "Mars". If Disney messes up the marketing for Star Wars 7 then they really ought to stop making movies entirely...

Fret not, I'm sure Disney will do as good a promotional job as they brought to bare with John Carter. :ph34r:

Yeah, promotion of SW is done really well. I present to you, Jabba the Hutt, the Christmas Tree decoration. Everybody should have one.......

581740_10202254822721880_38328708_n.jpg

And then you've got other wonderful stuff like this........

1378479_10202254826641978_2138504597_n.j

JediNews.co.uk: Star Wars Episode VII: Rumour Alert: Harrison Ford Is Back

Han Solo, Harrison Ford, is back and onboard for Episode Seven, but that's not all. As part of the deal, steps have been made which raise the possibility of Ford donning the famed Fedora hat of Indiana Jones once more.

A verbal agreement with Ford to play Han Solo once more has been in principle place since before the Disney deal. Over the course of this summer financial settlements were reached. The outstanding points that had dragged on but are now resolved are:

• Ford wanted to see the synopsis for his character's development over more than just Episode 7. He saw this in August and is happy with the story arc.
  • Ford wanted a commitment to Indy 5. He did not get this as there is no plot line or script in place. What did happen was an agreement was made wherein an outline would be developed by the end of calendar year 2014, and if all parties can agree to it moving forward, efforts would be made to move on Indy 5 for release before the end of 2016.
  • Disney wanted a multi film deal with Ford which transcends Episode 7. This has now been agreed.

TheForce.net is running with this story, so I decided to post it. I kinda had the feeling Ford was dragging his feet over some issue or another.

Wasn't quite fond of all the things JJ Abrams was doing with rehashing Star Trek (the TOS crew of all things). However, I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt with Star Wars. With how the Prequels were handled (badly, IMO), Star Wars films can't possibly get any worse.

Yes the Star Wars films can get worse. I didn't like the Prequels that much either. But I got what George Lucas was trying to do and say. Even if it messed with the Original Trilogy.

With Abrams on Star Wars, going from the stuff I've been reading, even though he points out a lot of fandom stuff like this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_joDNOpeWWo

There is still the chance of Red Orbs powering the new Death Star (or whatever big weapon), the Bad Robot droids being around, homage shots just to have them without meaning, and other dumb stuff. And don't forget just like people thinking that Star Trek needed the original crew. People think Star Wars needs the original cast. It doesn't. It just needs cool Space Western characters. Not kids, cartoon rabbits, and all the other bad stuff from the Prequels.

Relax. The usual suspects who write for Abrams aren't involved, and we know that Arndt, Abrams, and Kasdan have all spent a lot of time talking to George about the SW universe and it's rules.

Bleeding Cool is also now reporting that they did not dump Arndt's script, and that "Abrams and Kasdan appear to be reworking the flow a little, but the building blocks of story are staying pretty much untouched." Essentially, it's the same thing that happened on Empire.

An interesting attempt to "rationalise" the problems with SW and condense them into a list of just four points, but at the end of the day it's really just a big attack on the prequel trilogy:

"Point 1: SW is not set in cities" If Lucas had the budget to build believable big futuristic cities in the orignal trilogy he would have. Oh wait, he did, Bespin.....

"Point 2: The future is old". Well, the prequel trilogy was set in the past, before the decay and stagnation of the Galactic Empire set in. I think that was a good justification for the difference in the look of the two films......

"Point 3: The Force is mysterious" Possibly the most defendable point of the lot, I have to agree with this one......

Point 4" SW is NOT CUTE". Yeah, because all the cute stuff came from the prequel trilogy. THERE (EWOKS) WAS (EWOKS) NOTHING (EWOKS) CUTE (EWOKS) ABOUT (EWOKS) THE (EWOKS) ORIGINAL (EWOKS) TRILOGY. (DID I MENTION EWOKS?)

Personally, my only suggestion to JJ and the production team would be, focus more on creativity and imagination and if you do have a problem, use the creativity and imagination to work through it, don't just try to pour money on the problem.

As long as the makers are able to strike a nice compromise between producing films that draw in a new audience (i.e. kids) and keep adult sensibilities so that old-timers like Duke are happy then I'll be glad to support the new films.

But if they venture too far into Ewok/Jar-Jar land or too far into Lost/Alias-ville then I'll pass.

Fingers crossed as I'd like to see some really good Star Wars movies come out of the sale to Disney and the passing of directorial duties to persons other than Sir George.

-b.

Stolen script! SW opening scene!!!

Screen wipes from black star title crawl to Tatooine exterior. The camera focuses on one building. Cut to:

INT. TORTURE CHAMBER

WHISKETT, Wicket's youngest son, now the same age as Wicket was in ROTJ is tied to a chair. In walks in a GUNGAN. He pulls out a syringe.

TORTURER

Misa want the truth! Misa think you will tell me the truth!

Before he can stick him with the serum Whiskett flips the chair over and lands on the the torture's artists head, knocking him out...

An interesting attempt to "rationalise" the problems with SW and condense them into a list of just four points, but at the end of the day it's really just a big attack on the prequel trilogy

I see that as fanboy-rationalization.

"Point 1: SW is not set in cities" If Lucas had the budget to build believable big futuristic cities in the orignal trilogy he would have. Oh wait, he did, Bespin.....

Agreed. Amazing that people forget Lucas didn't have much money back then to do the film he wanted.

"Point 2: The future is old". Well, the prequel trilogy was set in the past, before the decay and stagnation of the Galactic Empire set in. I think that was a good justification for the difference in the look of the two films......

Agreed. Additionally, not all cultures have the same design aesthetics. And yes, it is the PAST. It should look different. The look of the past should gradually go toward the original trilogy. And Episode 3 did that. They use that word "gritty". That look fit the period of the Empire because that's how things were. Look at cars going from decade to decade. They went went from curves to boxes and then back to curved boxes. And I think the next series should follow that trend. From glamor to industrial to a glamorous industrial. Star Wars should evolve, not dwell on the fanboy past.

"Point 3: The Force is mysterious" Possibly the most defendable point of the lot, I have to agree with this one......

This is something I could argue both ways. The Prequels showed and the Original trilogy made a point of saying they start learning about the Force young. The Prequels had time to explore things and they did. The Original trilogy had to cram decades of training in a few weeks. I think they were allowed to skip a few grades and lessons.

Point 4" SW is NOT CUTE". Yeah, because all the cute stuff came from the prequel trilogy. THERE (EWOKS) WAS (EWOKS) NOTHING (EWOKS) CUTE (EWOKS) ABOUT (EWOKS) THE (EWOKS) ORIGINAL (EWOKS) TRILOGY. (DID I MENTION EWOKS?)

Like I said, it's fanboy dreaming.

Personally, my only suggestion to JJ and the production team would be, focus more on creativity and imagination and if you do have a problem, use the creativity and imagination to work through it, don't just try to pour money on the problem.

I hope they don't listen to the fanboys. If I see another Star Trek Into Darkness in Star Wars, then the fanboys will have already won. JJ, you were our only hope.

What Abrams and CO should really focus on is what the core of star wars always was. The original trilogy, and less so the prequels were all about the Skywalker family.

Watch the OT and find all the scenes that did not have a Skywalker in them, revealed or not, and yes I count the droids as members of the Skywalker family. In the OT they belonged to Leia, then went to Luke so they are part of the family.

There are not many scenes without a Skywalker in them, it keeps the story close and tight to viewer. If it jumped around throughout the war it would lose viewers.

Now jump to the prequels, look how few scenes, have a Skywalker in them. Now some will argue that Obi-Wan should count, but no, he was never a part of the family. Others may argue that the prequels should have revolved around Obi-Wan, wrong again, the focus of the prequels should have been the fall of Anakin and the rise of Vader . The OT was the redemption of Anakin/Vader through his children.

The next trilogy needs to go back to the core of following the Skywalkers and their descendants, whether they be in city's the frontier, whatever.

The OT was the redemption of Anakin/Vader through his children.

I thought that was ultimately the point of the entire SW saga?

But now that we have a new set of movies coming out...I guess that was not the case.....or is it?

I think the plot for this new trilogy is the return of Palpatine and the rise of the sith.......again.....what else can it be? Star Wars without some new Sith menace is not Star Wars......Throw in some more Skywalker family disfunction and you have a whole new 6-part series based on redeeming a whole new generation of Skywalkers....like grandpa, like grandson...... ;)

That was purely the dumbest thing I have read in awhile.

Funny how he didn't mention leia being a sex slave (or any slave + sexism here)

But I'd hate to give him more ideas to write more garbage about

Things that don't represent things he wants them too.

Personally I hope Abrams does his own thing. The best part of Star Wars is that the OT is what it is.

If they screw up 7,8 and 9. I can just leave them behind. I'd be nice to have some more aggressive

Camera following and roll with the space battles.

Edited by skullmilitia

An interesting attempt to "rationalise" the problems with SW and condense them into a list of just four points, but at the end of the day it's really just a big attack on the prequel trilogy:

JJ has seen the video, and has said he and the rest of the production team are pretty much in agreement with it.

I probably shouldn't have posted that video. I did it as a more Abrams says he's listening to the fanboys sort of thing. When there is more to what was wrong with the Prequels than that video. And it's wrong in ways too as taksraven points out. I think fans have a lot to be concerned about going by both Star Trek movies and the design choices, characters, and story. The director has final say on this stuff and Abrams said ok to all of it.

I probably shouldn't have posted that video. I did it as a more Abrams says he's listening to the fanboys sort of thing. When there is more to what was wrong with the Prequels than that video. And it's wrong in ways too as taksraven points out. I think fans have a lot to be concerned about going by both Star Trek movies and the design choices, characters, and story. The director has final say on this stuff and Abrams said ok to all of it.

Nah, I think it was really good that you posted that video. It was certainly interesting to watch. It clearly tries to go a long way to perpetuate the myth that *everything* in the original trilogy was good and that *everything* in the prequel trilogy was bad. Both have their strengths and weaknesses of course and it is silly to say otherswise.

What annoys me more than the prequel trilogy is a lot of the tinkering Lucas has done with the re-releases of the original trilogy on DVD and then blu-ray. Of course some stuff is genuine improvement (ie, the final space battle over the skies of the original Death Star) but other stuff is truly questionable (ie, Vaders new "Nooooooooo" as he kills the Emperor.

Of course, even this discussion would be pointless if Lucas made all versions of the films, including the original cinema cuts available, but he doesn't want to do that, which is really stupid when you looke at the seamless branching tech of Blu-ray.

I think fans have a lot to be concerned about going by both Star Trek movies and the design choices, characters, and story. The director has final say on this stuff and Abrams said ok to all of it.

We're back to this discussion again?

First off, Kathleen Kennedy has the final say on all this stuff. She could fire Abrams tomorrow if she so desired. Also, her reputation as an executive producer is stellar. Secondly, for all intents and purposes, the Bad Robot crew isn't working on this film, and neither is Abrams usual writing team. You KNOW who the writers are, and you know their reputation. Lastly, Abrams loves Star Wars, and it had a huge impact on his childhood. He absolutely does not want to muck this up.

I suppose this post will hold us over until we're on the next page of the thread and this is brought up all over again. Until then, feel free to return to the usual Jar Jar, Ewok, and Disney jokes.

Of course, even this discussion would be pointless if Lucas made all versions of the films, including the original cinema cuts available, but he doesn't want to do that, which is really stupid when you looke at the seamless branching tech of Blu-ray.

It's not up to him anymore; it's up to Kathleen Kennedy and 20th Century Fox (who retain the distribution rights to the OT). Edited by Duke Togo