CF18

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Robin-11 said:

"Macross Frontier " Sheryl Nome -Tsukuyomi Ver.- 1/7 Complete Figure

What do you think would be the best site to buy this beautiful statue? it seems to be a limited release so i don't see it available for pre-order on the usual websites i buy from.

I am seeing it at some of the other usual sites besides Ami-ami:

HLJ: https://www.hlj.com/1-7-scale-macross-f-sheryl-nome-tsukuyomi-ver-shibuya-scramble-figure-erm94121

Hobby Search: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/11022390

Hobby Genki: https://hobby-genki.com/en/estream/23420-shibuya-scramble-sheryl-nome-tsukuyomi-ver-macross-frontier-17-scale-figure-limited-edition-4580769940244.html

BBTS: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/254272?o=4

1 hour ago, Robin-11 said:

Thanks, except Big bad toy store i never bought anything from any of these stores. Hobby Genki seems the cheapest one. Would you suggest it?

IIRC the Hobby Genki price doesn't include international shipping (same as all the links above except BBTS), potentially making it the most expensive option. Of those Japanese stores, HLJ has the cheapest price on the item itself, but again, international shipping might make up the difference in cost.

BBTS has a fixed $4 shipping cost for the item, so the final price should come out to $354 + tax.

I took a gander at Kappa Hobby, and they have the item on preorder for $338.88 + tax and free US shipping: https://kappahobby.com/products/macross-frontier-sheryl-nome-tsukuyomi-ver-1-7-scale-figure-shibuya-scramble-figure

The rough USD prices, from lowest known cost to highest:

HLJ = $235 + international shipping

Hobby Search, Amiami = $255 + international shipping

Hobby Genki = $275 + international shipping

Kappa Hobby = $339 + tax

BBTS = $354 + tax

Thank you for your reply, but i have to say i am seeing different prices compared to the ones you listed...it's weird, for example, HLJ price for me shows up at € 263 which should be around 280 USD. Slight differences in the other stores too. Anyway, i think i will probably go with Hobby search since i think i already bought from them several years ago and they seem a very reliable website. I am still open to suggestions though.

1 hour ago, Robin-11 said:

Thank you for your reply, but i have to say i am seeing different prices compared to the ones you listed...it's weird, for example, HLJ price for me shows up at € 263 which should be around 280 USD. Slight differences in the other stores too. Anyway, i think i will probably go with Hobby search since i think i already bought from them several years ago and they seem a very reliable website. I am still open to suggestions though.

Ah, yes, I suspected you might be in a different market. Those are all JPY prices converted to USD; you being in the Euro zone(?) would change the prices somewhat. Hobby Search is pretty reliable; Amiami and HLJ are both solid choices, too. I don't know much about Hobby Genki, I think the reviews around here have been generally pretty positive as well. (Note that all of those are Japanese-native stores.)

BBTS and Kappa Hobby would probably not be ideal sources as they're located in the US. I'm unfortunately not well-versed on European hobby stores.

7 hours ago, Robin-11 said:

Always pay in JPY and let your card convert the exchange for you. The currency rates the store use are usually pretty high & some borders on cutthroat, and if you are using Paypal, don't use Paypal exchange rates as well.

That said, Hobby Search is a good choice. :good:

Thank you for all your suggestions. I sent an email to Hobby Genki but they never got back to me. Not a good sign in my experience so i will definitely go with Hobby search. Also, how do i pay directly in yen letting the CC do the exchange rate(i usually pay with paypal)? Thank you for your help. 

6 hours ago, Robin-11 said:

Thank you for all your suggestions. I sent an email to Hobby Genki but they never got back to me. Not a good sign in my experience so i will definitely go with Hobby search. Also, how do i pay directly in yen letting the CC do the exchange rate(i usually pay with paypal)? Thank you for your help. 

Firstly, if the web store has options to change displayed currency, then always set it to Yen. Hobby Search though, seems to deal in Yen only so that would be the default currency.

When paying via Paypal, it usually first shows the transaction amount in your local currency (Euro?). This is the marked-up Paypal exchange rate that is above the bank’s CC rate. There will be an option on that screen, to change  the amount back to Yen, which if I remember read along the lines of ‘let bank handle currency exchange’.

Paypal is pretty sneaky about this though; there isn’t really a default option to do this, so you have to manually change this setting for each transaction as and when they come up that involves logging into Paypal.

The complication is when certain web stores (like HLJ) asks you to sign billing agreements instead when you pay for the first time; so any future payments after that will be automated. Billing agreements will always be in your local currency (Paypal exchange rates) by default; so there’s a different procedure to change that agreement to letting your bank handle the exchange. 

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

They were a labor of love from DarrinG back in the day....

He also made a set of Zentrans...

large.20231105_165201.jpg.21282adce128c5

large.20231105_164429.jpg.b69bca6e98ef38

large.20231105_164551.jpg.570df8756401bd

I also bought a prototype Zentran figure fron him...but dang if I know where I stored it

Dang! Congrats to the select few who own them! Did each one come with a sketch like that Milia? If so, even more sweet!

For Darrin's Zentraedi figures, I believe I have the set as well. At least I know for certain I have the Zentran figure. They are really good figures, and while not in a particular scale associated with any other releases, they are nice to look at at times. I have mine in my collection room closet somewhere, and I should take them out since I have a lot of Zentraedi figures bought and made.

So I found my Z-Pilot prototype...this one was made with "revoltech" joints...I do not have any revoltech figures, so no idea of what makes them good or not so good...this figure is much more delicate than the "regular" Z-Pilot figures, which are delicate to begin with....anyway...some pics of this "1 of 1" custom figure....

large.20231122_124112.jpg.b466a97277e1a9

large.20231122_124817.jpg.0d4f940bc49311

large.20231122_124940.jpg.953a3fb0b357b9

large.20231122_125453.jpg.e8dab0a3c6c071

Size compared to 1/72 KC VF-1....

large.20231122_130304.jpg.2637c207c63c4e

Size compared to HMR VF-1....

large.20231122_130512.jpg.83a907743d9dac

Size compared to 1/12 KC Hikaru....

large.20231122_131101.jpg.10815023dd35a4

large.20231122_131704.jpg.5df57672b3fd9f

Edited by jvmacross

Nice Zentradi figure.  I think I'll ask Ramen Toy if he can make some figures. The KC Hikaru is 1/12 scale.  Do you have a side by side pic of it and the Zentradi figure standing upright?

Edited by sh9000

38 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

Nice Zentradi figure.  I think I'll ask Ranen Toy if he can make some figures. The KC Hikaru is 1/12 scale.  Do you have a side by side pic of it and the Zentradi figure standing upright?

Never heard of Ranen Toy, but if he could, he'd have several customers

Oops, yeah...1/12....

No more pics, but it is no where close to the same height...still...there is no "standard" Zentran height per the show or the lineart...I personally prefer the Zentran to be at most shoulder height to a VF-1...it looks good at that height to me

sizechart-tia11.png

So these DarrinG customs imo work best for HMR VF's...

large.20231122_130527.jpg.8a5373b662191c

...although the lineart above would suggest KC's 1/72 VF-1 would work better....

large.20231122_130407.jpg.a43db86cbbb66e

Ultimately, it's whatever works for you...or, better yet, whatever happens to be available....:rolleyes:

I noticed they're up for pre-order on Amazon US.  I wonder if they'll have any kind of price reduction at some point?  Ranka's listing has the release year as "2025"  I assume it's a typo.

Good Smile Macross Frontier: Sheryl Nome (Anniversary Stage Ver.)

$271.99

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C5X9M7GV/?coliid=I1W9F9TP0TUIZG&colid=WVHRR913Z8LA&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

61VpvsjdakL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Good Smile Company Macross Frontier: Ranka Lee (Annivesary Stage Ver.)

$261.99

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CF5H3BVG/?coliid=IFKM8PLHRFEBC&colid=WVHRR913Z8LA&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

61f5OtGLh9L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Edited by sharky