Macross Zero Valks - any chance for 30th re-releases?

lechuck

I would like a VF-0B too, the "Space Proving Wing" box art from Hasegawa looked bad ass.

Now your talking!! VF-0D's in both colors & a VF-0B would be amazing especially in the SPW color scheme.

I would like the thigh swivels to have greater range of motion. When the knees are bent back more than 45 degrees, the thighs cannot swivel all the way.

I keep drooling over the thought of a new 1/60 VF-0 with diecast in the right places, like the Yamato VF-17S. That would definitely be worth the $250 or whatever equivalent asking price in yen.

I wonder if Zero is popular enough to ever warrant an actual V2. I think Ultimately it has my favorite designs and I'd love to see it. Hell I'd buy a strait re-issue and some replacement arm parts from Veef if the price was right from Yamato.

I would definitely like to see an updated VF-0 in the future, its one of my favorite designs. I only bought one of them (vf-0a) back in the day. Though in hindsight I wish I had bought the VF-0s and supported the line a bit more. But the QC problems always seemed to scare me off buying one.

It didn't help Yamato that they never made the VF-0D or armor for the VF-0s.

Leaving some of that out in the first line would make a nice reason for a new line of 0 toys. I'm all for that, so long as they make a VA-3 and put that somewhere in all that.

Please tell me that's a hint, Renato!

No, it's not. What I mean is that it was a conscious business decision to exclude the 0D out of the line, the same as it was for the two-seater valks in the 1/48 line. Namely, they most likely saw no way that they could ever recoup the necessary tooling costs. The v2 1/60 VE-1 and VT-1 were only released because the new line had been designed with two-seaters in mind with minimal changes -- specifically, the introduction of the swappable nosecones. Add to that the fact that they were considerably higher-priced than regular FP 1/60 v2 vf-1 valks.

The answer is to make a v2 version of the Zero line, from scratch. But Zero is not SDF Macross. It just doesn't have the same following, and thus there is less chance that people are going to want to double-dip. Bandai BARELY managed to succeed with their v2 Chogokins, they had to play a ridiculous game of "ultra-limited production, yo, get 'em while you can!" in order to maximize their sales. No way that sort of demand can be created for Zero again, unless they release a movie edition of the anime nationwide and everyone loves it as if it was directed by Hayao Miyazaki and feel they must have these robot toys. Heh, well, maybe that's a bit extreme. But still... I dunno....

No, I hear ya. Makes a lot of sense when you put it that way.

Just to slightly veer off topic - I loved the animation and valks of Zero. But the story actually sorta made me mad. It almost felt like it was ripping off what I always thought was the real Macross story. I can't say I feel that way much anymore, after having seen how well Frontier and to a lesser extent, 7 ties everything together, along with Zero. They all changed the story somewhat, so once you've seen them all, you have a much different impression of what you thought Macross was.

But yeah, fair chance Zero was never meant to be as big a seller as all the other franchises seem to have been. Awesome designs aside, we're probably lucky to have gotten what we did in terms of toys and models.

Edited by mickyg

No, it's not. What I mean is that it was a conscious business decision to exclude the 0D out of the line, the same as it was for the two-seater valks in the 1/48 line. Namely, they most likely saw no way that they could ever recoup the necessary tooling costs. The v2 1/60 VE-1 and VT-1 were only released because the new line had been designed with two-seaters in mind with minimal changes -- specifically, the introduction of the swappable nosecones. Add to that the fact that they were considerably higher-priced than regular FP 1/60 v2 vf-1 valks.

The answer is to make a v2 version of the Zero line, from scratch. But Zero is not SDF Macross. It just doesn't have the same following, and thus there is less chance that people are going to want to double-dip. Bandai BARELY managed to succeed with their v2 Chogokins, they had to play a ridiculous game of "ultra-limited production, yo, get 'em while you can!" in order to maximize their sales. No way that sort of demand can be created for Zero again, unless they release a movie edition of the anime nationwide and everyone loves it as if it was directed by Hayao Miyazaki and feel they must have these robot toys. Heh, well, maybe that's a bit extreme. But still... I dunno....

I agree, but I still want to see V2 VF-0 toys from scratch. I love the designs from Macross Zero, the VF-0 looks like a steampunk-esque take on the VF-1, so back in 2002 when everyone was saying it looked more advanced than a VF-1, I thought it looked more crude, more brutish, less sleek; yet very appealing.

Part of me thinks, if a new toy of the Fire Valkyrie in bright ass colors, piloted by a Pacifist who sings in battle, can be well received, so can a new VF-0 toy. Just my opinion though but again, I dig the VF-0. I also want one because I looked forward to the 2010 reissues so much, only to end up disappointed. They're lemons. The sculpts are awesome, hence why I have my doubts Yamato ever revisiting the VF-0 again, but nonetheless, I would still like to see them make new VF-0's. It's the 10th anniversary of Zero, while it wasn't the best media tie in for Macross, it did have some impressive aspects and awesome designs.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Bandai BARELY managed to succeed with their v2 Chogokins, they had to play a ridiculous game of "ultra-limited production, yo, get 'em while you can!" in order to maximize their sales.

I have to disagree with that statement. "Selling out" and "maximizing sales" are not the same thing. Based on how many people still want but can't get a VF-25F, VF-25S, YF-29, or VF-25G, Bandai has not maximized sales, not even close to it.

If Yamato is fearfull of the lack of support for something like the VF-0 line perhaps they could look at a similar strategy to how they are rolling out with the VF-4. A limited run of web exclusives is a great way to help out the fans and if it proves to be a success they could add more to the line. Hell, an advance pre order which determines production like the tamashi web orders would be perfect.

I think yamatos reputation, particularly after the last couple of releases, has improved a great deal. collectors and fans may be more willing to put down some cash for limited releases.

From a business stand point I totally understand their reluctance to revisit the line, however you have to wonder if a V2 VF-0 would be a runaway success.

I have to disagree with that statement. "Selling out" and "maximizing sales" are not the same thing. Based on how many people still want but can't get a VF-25F, VF-25S, YF-29, or VF-25G, Bandai has not maximized sales, not even close to it.

I know how you feel, but there's something to be said for "keeping them wanting more". Look at the YF-29 reissue. It can almost be seen as manipulating demand. "Buy now or you might not ever get a chance!" 6 months later: "Haha, gotcha! Still want it?? Buy now or you may never get another chance!!"

I have a VF-0S currently, and *Knock on wood*, it hasn't started to yellow yet like some of the ones I've seen recently. But I had to hot glue certain parts to make a sturdy fighter mode. Granted, I can easily remove the glue with no harm whatsoever, but I'd rather have a VF-0S that I didn't have to do that to just to have a solid fighter mode.

-Kyp

• 3 weeks later...

awww... :getreadytoeatyourwords:

Dude you come here everyday, much like I do and everytime a casual member pokes their head in to check up what's going on, you're so quick to jump down their throats with a smart ass remark. And nothing in his post says that he thinks it's Mac 0 30th anniversary.

Graham also stated that Yamato had no interest in making a Macross. And there's no chance they'll ever get the Mac7 license because Bandai had a deathgrip on it. Graham has a definite connection to Yamato and he's first to know about any of that stuff but that doesn't give you license to take his word as a bible and smack people that don't check here everyday.

I'm kinda tired of the bullying around here. From you and other fans in the know. Share the info... don't show it off. It's not as important to them as it is to you. If anything, people just come off around here like big giant jaded nerds.

I'll second that. I'm a very new member who really enjoys macross but am not a master at it. I found this site and it seemed to be a great source to tether all the releases, models, and tips together, but I haven't posted like I've wanted to do because I don't want to get blasted from some die hard fan. Its a shame the culture of the conversations seem to be eroding into a yahoo like chat room instead of a great resource for fans. Great fans should share and help other fans not blast them.

• 2 weeks later...

The Zero may be my fav valk design. It has everything I love about the vf-1 series and improved upon it. We definately need a revisit of this series. The vf-0D would be awesome for the 30th anniversary because it revisits old territory in a new way. They also have the ability to squeeze several releases from it.

They should also rerelease the vf-11. We only got two toys friom it. A custom paint scheme could be easily accomplished.

The Zero may be my fav valk design. It has everything I love about the vf-1 series and improved upon it. We definately need a revisit of this series. The vf-0D would be awesome for the 30th anniversary because it revisits old territory in a new way. They also have the ability to squeeze several releases from it.

They should also rerelease the vf-11. We only got two toys friom it. A custom paint scheme could be easily accomplished.

Yeah a VF-0D would be awesome but I'm still praying for a VF-11 wth full APS armor.

I too would love to have a renewal VF-0 and SV-51 designed from the ground up again by Yamato. I have owned a VF-0S and tried to transform it and got so frustrated by it that I traded it for a Masterpiece Starscream, despite all the design flaws with that design. Now, I am kicking myself for that decision and look fondly at my SV-51Alpha toy sitting on its stand in fighter mode. As much as I love the design, I just cannot stand the floppiness of it in either GERWALK or Battroid modes that I feel I need to keep it in fighter. I wish that they made a new mold for these and my limited Macross toy money would definately go towards a new version of both of these.

Twich

A version 2 VF-0S would be good.

1. VF-0D;

2. Reactive Armor.

Regarding to the "Is it maximum profit for Bandai to produce limited DX?" discussion, my view is negative.

Given the overhead costs in tooling and etc, it makes the most sense to produce as many units as the market can digest.

There is a purpose to generate the "I want it" hype, and the purpose is to sell more units. Unless the Bandai management takes that "those losers can't get one" laugh as year-end bonus.