Yamato 1/60 VF-17 Nightmare Diamond Force

Wow, I come back from a week long vacation and pics of the VF-17 has cropped up. I don't think it looks that bad at all considering physical limitations on a design that required a lot of anime magic in the transformation. That price hurts and makes my wallet cry. I hope they wait a while before they come out with the 17D so I can fit it into a budget. Too many Macross items releasing too close to each other.

if this doesnt sell well, there will be no other versions. And maybe Bandai will not be making the vf-171 after they see the fail from Yamato. And maybe this will be the last "new" Macross toy made... (not talking about repaints with different heads)

Anyways, we have come a long way from the price of the vf-1 1/48th scale. The price point will make it unfeasable for many that could buy the more expensive toys such as the yf-19 / 21.

if this doesnt sell well, there will be no other versions. And maybe Bandai will not be making the vf-171 after they see the fail from Yamato. And maybe this will be the last "new" Macross toy made... (not talking about repaints with different heads)

Dear everyone,

If you do not buy this toy YOU are responsible for the end of Macross toy production for all time! :p

Edited by Raptor One

So the VF-171 can be made from this right? But then I don't think Yamato has the Macross Frontier license yet to make that.

Nope. While the base transformation is 99% the same, apart from the folding nosecone of the VF-171, nearly every part on the VF-171, with the exception of the gunpod and perhaps the hands is completely different to the VF-17 and would require 100% new tooling to make.

Basically, you cannot make a VF-171 by just slapping a longer nose, different canopy and wings on a VF-17. The difference are far greater than that.

Same sort of situation with the YF-19 and VF-19Kai/F/S/P. While at first glance they look similar to the untrained eye, nearly every part is completely different,

Graham

Just wondering, but I just looked at the lineart (*ducks in cover*). It seems that this battroid mold would look GREAT if they could just push the chest piece down a bit. Seems to be a bit to parrallel to the ground, where as it should really be pointing further downwards. Maybe the yamato showcasters talked with Hasbro, and are presenting mistransformed shots?

Dunno, but I think it would look a LOT better with that adjustment

Just wondering, but I just looked at the lineart (*ducks in cover*). It seems that this battroid mold would look GREAT if they could just push the chest piece down a bit. Seems to be a bit to parrallel to the ground, where as it should really be pointing further downwards. Maybe the yamato showcasters talked with Hasbro, and are presenting mistransformed shots?

Dunno, but I think it would look a LOT better with that adjustment

I had already pointed out earlier that on the CAD drawing from head on we saw several months ago that the chest piece was lower. I'm wondering if this prototype can't pull that off right now because it was planned to be lower from what I can tell.

I don't like a lot of the stuff people mentioned as well, but gosh darn it, this has actually grown a lot on me the past few hours.

*le sigh* might just have to put down a pre - order. Some one tell me their using ratchets for the ankles or the cockpit can open in battroid,

and this deal is sealed (man, toys are getting a lot more expensive)

[blind faith mode - faith is blind so this is redundant]

I will buy it. I have faith that the product will look much better than the pics!

I played with my YF-19 last night and I love it. I trust the aesthetics of Yamato. They failed me on the QC, but never yet on the design.

Basically, you cannot make a VF-171 by just slapping a longer nose, different canopy and wings on a VF-17. The difference are far greater than that.

Oh well, there goes the 1/60 NUNS VF-171 dream.....

I didn't waste any time and Pre ordered it the moment I saw it at AMIAMI.

Having some NEW valk designs that are designed and built using modern technology obiously comes at a price. I think a few members have already posted that they may only get one version of these more expensive valks (VF-17S or VF-19S). That kind of sucks as I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to get EVERY variation possible.

Hope everyone can get a little extra cash around Christmas, I'm sure you all agree it would be nice to have a few new VALKS under the tree.

That was me. I plan to get one VF-19 (s type) and one vf-17 (probably the fat head version) and maybe save some of the rest for bandai vf-25 renewal. Then hopefully by that time HLJ has a sale or something.. They are getting really expensive now.

I think space is also an issue with some people too. I'm one of those guys that only display 1 or 2 things at a time while everything else gets boxed. But generally I am glad we are getting different things other than vf-1.

This is why I think yamato should one day do some PT 1/100 (start with macross zero) and see how they go with enemy mecha like QRau with superposability to fight the bandai himetal vf-1..lol

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Well graham I think they need to have an enemy mecha. I know it won't sell as well as hero valks, but keep in mind an enemy like that will look good in a display with any of the vf-17 or vf-19. I think either this or make a vf-11 with armour pack bundle. (make the vf-11 modified from the stand alone vf-11 c that was released earlier)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

i'm on the fence about this one. looking at the various pics, the fighter mode actually looks nice from most angles except straight on from the side. so i'm telling myself that when it's in my display case i'll hardly ever get to see the side view. i might actually buy it, but it's a question of how soon. if some of the comments here are any indication, this might be up for a deep discount later on. of course unless this is as limited as the YF-29 run.

I'd love Yamato to make a 1/60 Fz-109.

Hell yeah, my number 1 request after the VF-17. An ENEMY to fight. Love watching Basara outmaneuvering them and Gamlin blowing them away....

I had already pointed out earlier that on the CAD drawing from head on we saw several months ago that the chest piece was lower. I'm wondering if this prototype can't pull that off right now because it was planned to be lower from what I can tell.

It looks like they got it better in the photo on the left:

post-12283-0-66344100-1319003271_thumb.jpg

I'm amazed.

If you don't like it, don't buy it, and then they won't continue to bother us by making anymore Macross toys(...although I'm sure Graham and a few others will buy enough of a VF-17 fleet to keep them afloat)

Sure we should all just buy every release no matter the cost just so hopefully they'll make the next toy. Whatever.

Chris

Sure we should all just buy every release no matter the cost just so hopefully they'll make the next toy. Whatever.

Chris

Unfortunately thats kinda the case. If these off mech a don't sell well were gonna get about 10 fresh paint VF-1's instead. I couldn't stomach the VF-19 Kai bcuz of basara but this and vf-19s are on preorder.

It looks like they got it better in the photo on the left:

post-12283-0-66344100-1319003271_thumb.jpg

Hard to tell if it's the angle of the photo though. One is up higher than the other. There isn't a big difference there. The color on the left looks a lot better IMO.

Does that fit in it's leg too?

Well, in the game it switched from/into regular gunpod instantly the moment we press the button. And I don't think that Mega Beam Launcher (mass produced version of Gamlin's makeshift beam cannon perhaps?) ever existed outside the game. So we'll never know.