Yamato 1/60 VF-17 Nightmare Diamond Force

Bought the new Dengeki Hobby a few days ago and there are some nice new pics of both the VF-17S and VF-19S.

The VF-17S fighter mode looks really nice in the new pics.

Graham

Scans por favor?

I love the VF-17D and mostly like the VF-17S. I don't like VF-171 on principle. Should have been VF-19F standard fighters for Frontier.

From what I remember Kawamori felt that the form of the YF/VF-19 being in two shows already made it too exposed and seen as too much of a hero fighter to be canon fodder.

I personally like the design of the VF-171 though, it may be cannon fodder in Frontier, but it looks damn nice :p

Wow, over $300, wow. I like the toy, but $300 for one toy is way too much.

I said the same thing about the Project BM! Kaneda and bike, but I ended up buying them.

Deep down inside I think this is alot for a valk on release day, but am teetering on the fence.

I may just break down and buy it.

Cancelling my order as well. Only need just a small amount of money so I can get a 19th century Samurai sword. Monies for these toys is getting way too high, and $300 is just too much. $200 is probably too much, so I think I'm finally going to draw the line.

Looks great, but I'm still not crazy about the light gray on the intakes and such. Too light. Unfortunately outta my price range too. If i had to choose this or the 19F, I think I'd go with the 19. Wish I didn't have to, though...

It really looks beautiful! Thanks for the scan, Graham ^_^

Apart from the test shot of the ABS back part, I’d say these pics are still of the painted resin prototype –I can see the same paint scratches- so I wouldn’t worry too much about the colour scheme yet…

Edited by Reïvaj

Damn, that thing is looking quite ugly. Maybe with a different scheme that mold would look good, but wow, just wow. And what is it gonna cost? Yamato's gotta make it more expensive then the fire valk, golden rule for them most of the time is to keep upping the price for every new mold. This is an easy pass for me, I still need a sound booster for my fire valk, and of course, save for Bandai's eventual release of the RVF-25 renewal version.

Damn, that thing is looking quite ugly. Maybe with a different scheme that mold would look good, but wow, just wow. And what is it gonna cost? Yamato's gotta make it more expensive then the fire valk, golden rule for them most of the time is to keep upping the price for every new mold. This is an easy pass for me, I still need a sound booster for my fire valk, and of course, save for Bandai's eventual release of the RVF-25 renewal version.

:huh: What do you mean with maybe with a different scheme that think would look good? What do you mean with that thing is looking quite ugly? You probably forgot to add “IMO”.

And yes, it is very expensive.

I am on the fence about this one. Are there any *super crazy OMG AWESOME* gimmicks that are being advertised on this one? I remember that we knew about the VF-19 swiveling cockpit feature and whatnot well in advance to its release. Are there any great gimmicks on this set besides the plus point that the gun stows in the leg that can sell me?

I've mentioned it before, but will this also have a cockpit hatch in battroid...?

Damn, that thing is looking quite ugly.

The Nightmare is not supposed to look pretty. It's supposed to look ugly, mean, tough and terrifying, striking fear into the hearts if it's foes. It's not supposed to be a pretty Valk like the VF-19 or VF-11.

Latest pics from the new Dec 2011 issue of Dengeki Hobby Magazine.

Graham

Ok, this is a really tiny thing to get excited about but I just noticed that the VF-17 is using the same hand design as the YF-21/VF-22. The back plate of the hand looks remolded for correct sculpted detail but the fingers are definitely the same (wrist looks the same too but I can't be sure form the pictures). I find it kind of interesting because the VF-11 and VF-19 molds use identical hands which themselves use the same fingers and basic design as the v.2 VF-1's with different molded detail for the back plate, palm and wrist.

Personally I like the YF-21 hand better, They're a little larger and rounder which suits the design of the larger Mac7 valks better than the smaller VF-1 hands (along with being better proportioned overall); though I can see why they went with the smaller hands on the VF-11/19's. The there isn't much room to store hands in either of those arms, I guess they had more room to work with on the VF-17.

Those scans make it look better than the initial colored pictures that we got. I seem not to notice the thinner legs now and fighter mode looks more awesome that ever.

I think all it needs now is the UN Spacy logo on the fuselage and some panel lines for the intakes.

I was actually hoping to get the S as well, but due to the price and the relative unimportance of the S (as opposed to the D) in the series, I'll be missing out on this one.

Question though, does it cost the same for all new molds? Does the complexity of engineering or pieces used factor into the cost? Thinking along these lines, shouldn't the 17 cost less than the VF-19 due to the more simplistic transformation?

Edited by Actar

Thanks for the scan, Graham, this thing just looks better and better. This is coming out at the best time ever for me. I'll have an excellent toy of my favorite Macross VF in one hand and a brand new son/daughter in the other. :D

I was actually hoping to get the S as well, but due to the price and the relative unimportance of the S (as opposed to the D) in the series, I'll be missing out on this one.

Question though, does it cost the same for all new molds? Does the complexity of engineering or pieces used factor into the cost? Thinking along these lines, shouldn't the 17 cost less than the VF-19 due to the more simplistic transformation?

Unimportance of the S?? But it was Gamlin's primary valk, and shown throughout most of the series. The D has actually relatively little screen time.

Unimportance of the S?? But it was Gamlin's primary valk, and shown throughout most of the series. The D has actually relatively little screen time.

I believe you're getting that the wrong way round. The D is Gamlin's primary valk and the one that's most associated with him (its even in the opening). He used the S for a brief period of time before switching back to the D.

I was thinking about this too...

Looking at the designs, the -19 looks much more complicated (though I could be wrong). Is the Yamato VF-17 even MORE complicated than the -19 to justify such a larger pricing, or is it just a pricing increase trend that Yamato is going for....?

I believe you're getting that the wrong way round. The D is Gamlin's primary valk and the one that's most associated with him (its even in the opening). He used the S for a brief period of time before switching back to the D.

If you go by episode count it's pretty 50/50 really. Millia gives the S type to him after they stripped the red paint off it and he has it through Operation Stargazer.