Whats the next macross series?

So ive been thinking about this for a while. Since frontier is over and its movie is due out soon, what aspect of macross would you like to have them do next?

I think it would be cool if they went back and explained how Hikaru and the Megaroad 1 disappeared and where it disappeared to and base a series around the megaroad getting back to earth or its original course.

So ive been thinking about this for a while. Since frontier is over and its movie is due out soon, what aspect of macross would you like to have them do next?

I think it would be cool if they went back and explained how Hikaru and the Megaroad 1 disappeared and where it disappeared to and base a series around the megaroad getting back to earth or its original course.

So would ALOT of us, unfortunately Mr. Kawamori has all but said that he's told the story of Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay. As much as we would like to see this, it is unlikely that it would happen; at least with Kawamori calling the shots. :angry:

I'd like a bit more just-after space war 1 stuff...like the founding of planet Eden.

Or something on Earth in the mac7 or frontier decades. Perhaps a bit of political intrigue, how launching of colony ships effects family ties and stuff.

Or maybe a fairly direct sequel to Frontier dealing with the settlement on the vajra planet in the spirit of the post rain of death reconstruction SDFM episodes.

That'd give us more background of vajra/protoculture interaction and triangle settlement. Though, TBH, I'd be fine with just the former. the "Tenchi solution" works fine with me. (I love TVtropes)

Honestly more macross is good macross to me...I'd just like it to try and keep out of the too common ordinary highschooler, falling into the cockpit type stuff, if possible. (though that was subverted to some extent in frontier...because he was training to be a pilot...it still kinda annoys me)

My word, if Zero is dumb then what is Macross 7? :p

Well for me, I'm actually hoping for a total overhaul of the original series. It's too outdated in animation. Not saying change the script, or the episode structure, just the visuals. I would really like it if they implement the 3D style of Zero or at least of Fronteir.

If not, then maybe a sequel to Frontier but encountering a larger Zentradi threat from another galaxy, or even the supervision army would be a nice addition? And should they make this sequel, it would be interesting to see if the technology of the VF-27's cockpit will become a standard for future Valk designs?

Please no more magical creatures, or giant bugs. :p

If we are looking post 2059 Kawamori could place the next Macross out of the Milky way galaxy, exploration with Varija technology. Personally I wouldn't mind an anime from the Zentradi perspective like Zentran or Meltran squad as focus. Maybe a bit like Valkyria chronicles.

Seeing as pretty much every Macross series is influenced by a different anime genres or themes:

SDFM: Space Opera,Romance

Macross 7: Super Robot, Music Band, Vampires, Comedy

Macross 7 Dynamite: Police, Pirates

Macross Plus: Cyberpunk

Macross Zero: Fantasy/Supernatural?

Macross Frontier: Moe/High school Drama/Slice of life/Mystery

potentially left would be:

Tournament, Martial arts: Valkyrie competitions alla Macross II or even G-gundam

Sports: Macross Seven Trash or similar

Magical girl: Sheryl the Galactic Fairy does have a nice ring to it :p

Horror: Ranka goes yandere?

Psychological: hmm, Mamuro Oshii get's to direct a Macross project?

Harem: Love Octangle

Eroge: hmm, nope, let's not go there.

Edited by Bri

Since there's a different approach to each new Macross series made by Mr Kawamory, I think it's time for a serious, mature, gritty, violent, and more on the military side series this opportunity.

Macross Frontier took elements from all of the franchise universe to please a wider fanbase, now it's time for an original series, DYRL?, Macross Plus approach. Something along the lines of the Sega opening Macross game.

potentially left would be:

Tournament, Martial arts: Valkyrie competitions alla Macross II or even G-gundam

Nothing against you bro, but don't give atrocious ideas :lol:

I suck on my Macross history, but if there was another colony ship sent out not long after the Hikaru/Misa ship that would be cool. I'd love to see the VF-4 in action. There could be references to Hikaru's colony ship as nods to the fanboys dying to know what happened to it and maybe a Supervision army tangle so we can learn more about them.

Not another "I-want-more-Hikaru/Minmay/Misa"-thread.... :rolleyes:

The only thing that makes me want more of those three is that we're just told they disappeared there's no explanation.

I'd be happy with the franchise "discovering" what happened to them over the course of, or even as a small bit of a future series.

Nothing against you bro, but don't give atrocious ideas :lol:

Hehe, don't worry. I'm just making fun of Kawamori's different choices of genre. In fairness, I would love to see a darker, more complex Macross story as long as the characters stay true to the Macross concept of being a bit more noble then the real deal (and Mikimoto character designs would be mandatory).

Edited by Bri

I think a Macross "Western" could be very cool. Set it on a backwards colony planet with a limited resources. Small town must defend itself again bandits, alien creatures, and Zentraedi "gone native" with a handful of destroids and VFs fixed in battroid form. The hollywood shorthand would be "Deadwood with mecha and giant aliens."

Since there's a different approach to each new Macross series made by Mr Kawamory, I think it's time for a serious, mature, gritty, violent, and more on the military side series this opportunity.

Hell yeah.

Edit: I'm in the "Just say no" camp to the more Hikaru/Misa/Minmay, sentiment...

Edited by Vic Mancini

Put me in the 'taking a step back' camp. There are 3 very active decades of material to mine between the end of the SDFM arc and the start of the Plus/M7 era that haven't been touched. ...By a series, anyway, I know the games and other material have ventured into that territory, but those aren't open to everyone.

I would like a series that covers some of the missing decades from 2012 to 2045. We just got a 4 episode OVA for 2040. Video Games did cover this area but they could be animated.

What I think the next series will actually be: Kawamori get this great idea for an anime adaption of Breaking 2 The Electric Boogaloo. He pitches the idea to people who can fund this new series. They listen and politely start turning him down. Just then Kawamori says "did I mention this was going to be a Macross sequel?" Suddenly they're interested and we have a new Macross Series.

Kawamori get this great idea for an anime adaption of Breaking 2 The Electric Boogaloo. He pitches the idea to people who can fund this new series. They listen and politely start turning him down. Just then Kawamori says "did I mention this was going to be a Macross sequel?" Suddenly they're interested and we have a new Macross Series.

OMG this.

featuring the Dancing Skulls Squadron in candy colors.

a dance-off to the future!

Not another "I-want-more-Hikaru/Minmay/Misa"-thread.... :rolleyes:

Seconded.

Me, I think anyone who is expecting something that will-answer long-standing questions only die-hard Macross fans know or care about is simply setting themselves up for disappointment.

I also think that whatever the next Macross story is, it will be something completely unexpected. When the news starts leaking out, most of us will look at it and think, "Well, THAT'S not what I wanted!" And it may turn out to be something really great.

Or not. You never know.

These two combined wold be neat. It'd probably have almost like a IGPX feeling to it. But somehow that fate of the galaxy would have to be involved

It could work but the movie may do some of that

Hmmm... she is almost to that point. Macross Days anyone?

that could work. but Sky Crawlers wasn't that good.

That would be confusing.

Addendum: I never liked Tenchi Muyo

Its Been done already Live-action. :blink:

He could always throw everything out the window and do time travel.

Just long as they don't go the route of Gundam. I.E. emo kids find giant overpowered robots and can't decide if they want to fight or remain neutral. :unsure:

Just a thought

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

ANYTHING Macross is ok as long as there is no more Valks with speaker pods going round yelling BOMBAAAAAAA!!

I'd be okay with speaker pods if they were used in atmosphere where you can actually hear vs. outer space where there is no atmosphere.

In short if were they were used logically like in frontier . Then I'm okay with them.

Seconded.

Me, I think anyone who is expecting something that will-answer long-standing questions only die-hard Macross fans know or care about is simply setting themselves up for disappointment.

I also think that whatever the next Macross story is, it will be something completely unexpected. When the news starts leaking out, most of us will look at it and think, "Well, THAT'S not what I wanted!" And it may turn out to be something really great.

Or not. You never know.

I TOTALLY disagree. I knew about Macross II DECADES before it came out because it was such an awesome idea, how could I not guess at it? :lol:

I want to see a slightly darker and serious Macross that is filled with deeper slower music to reflect the change in mood as well. Personally, I would love to see and hear a Japanese equivalent of Alexx Wesselsky as the next Macross singer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY-sjG-4b1c

I also want to see a singing idol that is outside of the Love triangle and be a supporting main charter for once. The "celebrity is overrated I just want a normal relationship" plot is getting too cliche for me. I say have the singing idol be the dead charater for once, their spirit and music can live on.

These wings of ours are Burning Red!

There loud cry tells us to grasp happiness!

Erupting Burning Feather!Seiti-ha Love-Love BOMBAAAAAAA!!!!

*King and Queen of music Basara and Minmay come flying out from the wings of the Goddess Valkaryrie and burn a music note into the heart of the Devil SDF-3*

These two combined wold be neat. It'd probably have almost like a IGPX feeling to it. But somehow that fate of the galaxy would have to be involved

OMG YES! THIS NEEDS TO BE MADE! the fate of the galaxy doesn't HAVE to be involved, but their should be some greater conflict. I want to see competitive valk racing so badly.

Only if it's about a lieutenant colonel who goes AWOL after the destroid unit he commands is decimated while on a UN peacekeeping mission, only to return years later to launch terrorist attacks on the greater Tokyo area in order to incite a civil war between branches of the UN defense forces and... wait :unsure:

I'll go a step further and say that if it ever did happen, the eagerly awaiting fans would find it didn't match their expectations anyway. I'll call the absence a good thing on that count.

Macross Frontier took elements from all of the franchise universe to please a wider fanbase, now it's time for an original series, DYRL?, Macross Plus approach. Something along the lines of the Sega opening Macross game.

Macross Galactica? :lol:

I'll go a step further and say that if it ever did happen, the eagerly awaiting fans would find it didn't match their expectations anyway. I'll call the absence a good thing on that count.

Perfect point. after all these years, whatever Megaroad story they come up with -- no matter how awesome -- will most likely fail to live up to the hype that has been built up in the heads of macross fans.

I'd like to see a series or OVA going back a bit, having a more serious tone, dealing with a Megaroad class ship and featuring VF-4's.

Best idea so far... B))

Another could be an anime adaptation (OVA, movie, series... whatever) of Macross the First. Yet another version of the original Macross... but with up-to-date animation and modified designs. ^_^

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Something set between 2012 and the Macross Plus era. Such a large gap exists that could be filled with lots of interesting stories and other goodies.

I'd love to see a show set onboard a Megaroad ship. Its our first step into the unknown and it could be alittle like Star Trek in a way with focus on exploration and meeting new and unique species.

To boldly go where no man has gone before......macross style B))

Edited by thankheaven

Maybe I've watched too much Gundam - but I think side stories would be interesting. Say for instance a short series about the Space War I or the Macross 7 events told from the perspective of outside character. It could be a chance to offer a different vision of known conflicts, perhaps even with a different tone. I think it could be interesting

That being said - yeah assuming the next Macross is done by Kawamori (and I see no reason why It wouldn't be) It'll probably be something we don't expect, as usual.