HLJ Virtual Tour

mpchi

http://www.collectiondx.com/article/a_visi...hobbylink_japan

Thanks to JoshB at collectionDX, we have an awesome article, interview, and a video tour of our favorited (or hated for some) toy source HLJ warehouse. Man what a trip! Wish I was there, and now I have a much better idea how my toys went from the shelves (drool...) to my door steps.

Enjoy folks. And thanks again for all the work JoshB and folks at collection DX to put this together.

:o ............Oh my........... :) ............want.............. :( ...........couldn't afford it all................ :ph34r: ..............I would never be allowed in there because I would first steal a pallet mover and then proceed to ransack the place. All the while screaming hysterically at the top of my lungs "Gotta catch them all! HeHeHeHeHeHeHeHeHeHeHeHe!" :wacko:

Seriously though if I had access to something like that my will power would go out the window and I would be eating boiled shoes for a loooong time. I think sometimes it's a good thing a have to mail order everything. Although with all the money I would save on shipping. :ph34r:

Edited by logos

Wow, the HLJ place is just so much more advanced then I thought. Imagined a kind of small warehouse ran by a few employees doing the online stuff, not a company of this size and scale.

Wow, the HLJ place is just so much more advanced then I thought. Imagined a kind of small warehouse ran by a few employees doing the online stuff, not a company of this size and scale.

It wasn't THAT long ago where it was literally a closet. :)

Best line:

"You know those cool air filled bags that cushion your order? Those are filled right here in the factory. Open one up, and you are breathing Japanese air".

Because we all know valks fly best when they're surrounded by Japanese air.

That must've been a great tour to go through. The fact that the warehouse is so big definitely shows where my money goes when I order through them. Imagine winning a 5 minute shopping spree, all you can grab? What section was the Macross toys in??? :lol:

That place is pretty incredible. They have a pretty impressive setup.

I think it would be pretty cool to work there.

I'm surprised I only saw a YF-19 and Ghost booster box on the return/damaged goods shelf, unless there were more Yamato Macross items in that Yamato cardboard box on that second from the top shelf.

Darn. I wanted to hear more about the distributing issues with Macross.

I know!! I was starting to zone out a bit until the subject of Macross distribution came up...and then the video cuts away. Right at the juicy part! Damn! It is nice to see where all my money is going, though. Heh. I'd almost be too scared to visit there, though... I don't know how much self-restraint I could show. My poor bank account would be empty in minutes. :lol:

I know!! I was starting to zone out a bit until the subject of Macross distribution came up...and then the video cuts away. Right at the juicy part! Damn! It is nice to see where all my money is going, though. Heh. I'd almost be too scared to visit there, though... I don't know how much self-restraint I could show. My poor bank account would be empty in minutes. :lol:

Minutes? I could do it in seconds!

Awesome article!

It definately was much smaller 3 years ago before they moved to their new place. I visited the old place which was basically a large warehouse in a country suburb in Gunma.

The road walking towards HLJ

post-1640-1238999903_thumb.jpg

Ye Olde HLJ

post-1640-1239000156_thumb.jpg

Heh :)

I remember when, about ...what?...8 years ago?...I order PVC MEGA Hotrod and Megatron from them.

To this day I have NEVER gotten them :)

But I forgive them :)

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

I agree with everyone that I wish they had got into the licensing issues more. From the little they did discuss it sounds like it does not affect them as a 3rd party seller. My take on it is that they didn't make the toys, they just export them. They are not selling them in the US. We are virtually buying them in Japan, and having them shipped over here after the actual sale.

It's been my experience that HLJ is a 1st rate company. They have always done right by me. Even when there was a mix-up, they corrected their mistake greatly to my favor. Looks like a good place to work. What a fun job for the person(s) that open up the items to take pictures.

OMG WOW!... Haha I've been a long time customer of HLJ for many years but I never expected HQ to look as nice and as pristine as it does. Even the warehouse looks spotless and isn't what I usually think of when someone mentions a warehouse.

This guy must be making big bucks to have such a nice facility especially in japan. All those expensive toys in that warehouse make me dizzy. I'm not used to seeing all those yamato valks and SOCS lying around along with all the gunpla and everything else.

Only thing I hate is the high shipping cost to the USA especially if its an EMS shipment. Still if you're looking for the latest releases from japan this site always has it before ne one else.

Seems like it took a lot of work for Mr.Hards to get to where he is now. But with the falling economy nowadays otaku hobbies aren't the best business. Still I wish him the best and many thanks for years of awesome customer service.

I am surprised too at how clean, organized and efficient it is. If Toyota had operated a toy distribution center, it would probably look like that. It puts to shame a lot of the toy and hobby stores here in the US. :lol:

Their warehouse is a lot bigger and a lot cleaner than I though. I just got a $59 1/48 Angel Bird from them today to go with the $56 Urban Armor from Angolz. It's good to know when they have a clearance sale they'll likely have plenty of stock to pick from.