Yamato 1/60 VF-11B Thunderbolt - Thread 2

azrael

I love this toy. The sculpt is awesome in all three modes, transformation is easy, it locks together well & has good poseability. This is the VF-11B toy I've been waiting 15 years for! Now bring on the VF-11C.

Oh yeah! Do you know if Yamato will be doing this?

vf-11c-battroid.gif

vf-11c-superatmosphere-fighter.gif

(thanks to Mr. March for the images macross mecha manual).

If yamato makes one of these then I will get one.

Oh yeah! Do you know if Yamato will be doing this?

vf-11c-battroid.gif

vf-11c-superatmosphere-fighter.gif

(thanks to Mr. March for the images macross mecha manual).

If yamato makes one of these then I will get one.

I love this scheme, but prefer the FAST back on the battroid.

This toy is pretty solid. I also think the back of the Valkyrie in Battroid needs a better way to lock, unless I'm missing something. What exactly are those levers next to the wings for? I went through the manual, and moved them when I was supposed to, but wasn't able to really discern what they do.

Is there also a trick to getting the cockpit secure? I can get it to stay in place, even upside down, but I'm not satisfied with how it sits. It looks a little off, and the slightest touch can knock it out of place again. I'd really rather it was a solid piece of the fighter than removeable. Unless, of course, there is a way to lock it in place nicely and I've simply overlooked it.

I have that issue too. Mine rocks back and forth with nothing but the tip of that little pointed plastic part on the slider to keep it elevated. It looks like there's little slotted pegs that are supposed to go into the slots on the side of the cockpit, but they really do nothing to hold the cockpit in place. Mine won't fall out when turned upside down, but it won't stay in place either. I'm a little disappointed how everything else about the toy has been designed very well, but the cockpit itself (I'm not talking about the heatshield, so please no one ask about the lower heatshield again!) just seems poorly designed in its ability to stay firmly in place in fighter mode.

you need to fiddle with that slider. at 1mm or so from the final position the the little tab locks on the cockpit will hold against the fuselage and keep it in place. Still not completely solid but it won't flip around or tip back and forth if you're not actively pressing down or manipulating the cockpit.

I seam to have found my new special purpose. :D I can't keep my hands off this one. It transforms really nice with not much complexity and is very solid. I don't have much trouble with the cockpit or the heat shield. For not liking the design of the VF-11 I love this toy.

you need to fiddle with that slider. at 1mm or so from the final position the the little tab locks on the cockpit will hold against the fuselage and keep it in place. Still not completely solid but it won't flip around or tip back and forth if you're not actively pressing down or manipulating the cockpit.

Thanks. That seems to help. Though it takes me around 3-5 minutes of fiddling before I can get it just right after each time I transform it. I still think that such a hassle should not have been necessary in the first place.

I wish it had more tampo printing as well. It seems like a backward step from the 1/60 VF-1s. At least the stickers are the thin kind that come with the new VF-1s and destroids rather than the sucky ones that came with the YF-21 and earlier products. Overall, I really like this toy though. It is definitely the easiest of the Mac+ valks to transform, though that's more due to the straightforward transformation of the valk's design itself.

As a side note regarding the stickers, is there any material that shows where some of this stuff is supposed to go? I usually go by the Hasegawa model decal instructions but they never made a VF-11B. I have a general idea where to put most of them going by conventions used by the other valks, but just wondering if there might have been something that Yamato went off of to design the other stuff on the sticker sheet.

Just played with mine. Quite impressed with it. B)) Overall solid , tight and no floppiness except the cockpit which feels abit loose after you remove the foam but not enough to fall off or anything during barrel rolls or turbulence. Had no problems with the heat shield either. Not sure why Graham had problems with his initially. Big clumsy fingers perhaps :lol: I love all the modes and can't decide which mode to leave it in now. So for now its in space-economy mode which is battroid mode. Glad to see the box size is the same as the 1/60 V2s. Smallest Macross Plus box yet.

My only issue with it is the price. The price is the same as a YF-19 (or was it more?) but its considerably smaller than a YF-19. But that's just a minor nitpick considering how the 19 feels like a lemon compared to the 11B.

I never really thought these early yamato stickers were that bad. When I have the time I cut as close to the image as possible. I use a pair of mustache trimming scissors works great but be careful especially with stickers with white lettering so have good lighting around.

My big box of macross joy just arrived! VF-11, Max 1S, and 4 of the new stands. Haven't had a chance to play with them yet as I'm at work, but I'm very excited. Disappointed, though, that the stands sound like they are lemons (according to the stand thread.) I'll have to see how mine are. :(

Chris

I never really thought these early yamato stickers were that bad. When I have the time I cut as close to the image as possible. I use a pair of mustache trimming scissors works great but be careful especially with stickers with white lettering so have good lighting around.

The main problem with the old stickers were that they were composed of multiple layers which tended to peel at the corners eventually. Also they were thicker and stiffer which made it difficult to fit them into panel lines as well and thick enough to cast shadows.

My big box of macross joy just arrived! VF-11, Max 1S, and 4 of the new stands. Haven't had a chance to play with them yet as I'm at work, but I'm very excited. Disappointed, though, that the stands sound like they are lemons (according to the stand thread.) I'll have to see how mine are. :(

Chris

I think if Yamato had some way to lock the swivel points after you get them in a desired position, that would have made the stands pretty great. If after you've had the chance to mess with the stands and have a different experience than what I reported in the stand thread, please do tell. I'm curious if someone might have more luck trying to get something like a 1/60 VF-1 with fast packs or any other valk prior to the VF-11 displayed on the stand in a position other than completely horizontal.

I find the VF-11 toy to be surprisingly light weight. There is a very noticable difference in weight even between the VF-11B w/ packs vs a bare bones YF-19. It might even be comparable in weight to the 1/72 VF-11B. But even with the light weight, neither of my stands could support the VF-11 in any sort of dynamic position :( Disappointing since there are so many pictures with the VF-11B displayed on these new stands.

The main problem with the old stickers were that they were composed of multiple layers which tended to peel at the corners eventually. Also they were thicker and stiffer which made it difficult to fit them into panel lines as well and thick enough to cast shadows.

I think if Yamato had some way to lock the swivel points after you get them in a desired position, that would have made the stands pretty great. If after you've had the chance to mess with the stands and have a different experience than what I reported in the stand thread, please do tell. I'm curious if someone might have more luck trying to get something like a 1/60 VF-1 with fast packs or any other valk prior to the VF-11 displayed on the stand in a position other than completely horizontal.

I find the VF-11 toy to be surprisingly light weight. There is a very noticable difference in weight even between the VF-11B w/ packs vs a bare bones YF-19. It might even be comparable in weight to the 1/72 VF-11B. But even with the light weight, neither of my stands could support the VF-11 in any sort of dynamic position :( Disappointing since there are so many pictures with the VF-11B displayed on these new stands.

Well after the good review I will buy one

So for now its in space-economy mode which is battroid mode. Glad to see the box size is the same as the 1/60 V2s. Smallest Macross Plus box yet.

Well, if I want to display my fighters in fighter mode and don't want to waste space I just extract the feet and let it stand on them. Works reasonably well.

I have to say the way the plastic is matte to semi-glossy and the deep-brilliance of the purple-greyish paint makes the toy look great. It just exudes quality.

The canopy has so much of that rainbow paint on it, that it looks more like a mirror. I can barely see the pilot.

The same paint on my VF-1 V2s is barely noticeable, here it clearly is overkill.

I collected mine yesterday and I must say that I'm very very happy with it :lol:

I think the first ones didn't include this photocopy addendum:

post-322-1241659471_thumb.jpg

Translation?

Don't panic folks!

They're SUPPOSED to be in there.

Translation?

Don't panic folks!

They're SUPPOSED to be in there.

Are they supposed to remain in there or removed? ^_^

I notice if you leave them there, the cockpit has a tighter lock in fighter/gerwalk mode.

I collected mine yesterday and I must say that I'm very very happy with it :lol:

I think the first ones didn't include this photocopy addendum:

post-322-1241659471_thumb.jpg

What it says (based on my rudimentary japanese):

Thank you for purchasing the VF-11B with Super Pack.

Before play, a cushioning material previously placed in the neck of the item must first be removed.

Failure to do so may result in breakage during transformation.

Remove the cushioning material after removing the cockpit pod. Please refer to pg 26 of the included manual (Options and Gimmicks) for instructions.

Mine arrived from Over-Drive today. I must say, I'm pretty impressed.

I do have a question though. The tips of the feet are articulated. Are they supposed to be locked in a bent position when it's in gerwalk or battroid mode or are they just supposed to be springy like?

I'm asking because one of mine bends and stays in place. The other bends, but will not stay. It sort of bounces back.

Mine arrived from Over-Drive today. I must say, I'm pretty impressed.

I do have a question though. The tips of the feet are articulated. Are they supposed to be locked in a bent position when it's in gerwalk or battroid mode or are they just supposed to be springy like?

I'm asking because one of mine bends and stays in place. The other bends, but will not stay. It sort of bounces back.

Both on mine are springy...and it doesn't bother me since the weight of the 11B holds them in place if needed. They tend to stay bent in battroid and less bent in gerwalk, so i guess its sort of like an "auto-articulation".

Ok, add me to another great VF-11 experience! I finally got the diffintive VF-11!! It's just soo beautiful! Here a few pics of it on an new Yamato stand with my VF-1's...not including the Roy 1S Strike which is on a Flexi display stand on a shelf not pictured ;) I will say that I like the new Stands....they are not perfect by any means but they aren't as bad as I was expecting. Yes, the swivle part does suck, but honestly if you display your Valks in fighter mode like me, the swivle is pointless. The VF-11 works great on the new stand as you can see. I can make it Roll and pitch without any problems. The VF-1 series also doesn't seem to have any problems...however, when you add the Fast packs onto the VF-1's, it adds a substantial amount of weight and does reuduce the amount you can get the Valk to roll before gravity takes over and the friction can't hold it any more. The positions I have them in in these pctures are solid. I can bang on the table and they won't fall or tip over. Main problems I have with these new stands are that you can't extend the "arm" like on a Bandai action display base so your valks are pretty much going to all be level because there just isn't that much difference in height by moving the "arm" up or down. The swivle is pretty useless, but I think that is more of an issue for Battroid mode people so I can't really judge it and maybe it will work if you know what you are doing. For other Vlaks like the larger and heavier VF-0 or YF-19 series, you probably cant do much with them other then a slight bank or incline due to their size and weight. Lastly I HATE using the attachment peices. Now this is not the stands fault but the attachment peices really just take away the ability to just take the Valk off of the stand and just zoom them around, and I find getting the damn peice on the Valk (particularly on the VF-1 series) a royal Pain In the Ass!. So if I were to compair these new stands with a Flexi-display stand. I would have to say I like these stands better. The do give you the abilityl to dsplay the valks in a roll or climb without any issues wher a Flexi stand pretty much just need to be straight and level unless you buy multiple stands with different arm lengths. The Flexis do have the edge in playability( no attachment peice required) and the base foot print is smaller. As it is I'll be buying a few more of these stands for my Roy 1S , Max 1A, and for any other future VF-11 or VF-1 I may buy. Hope this helps you guys.

Chris

post-265-1241714133_thumb.jpg

post-265-1241714152_thumb.jpg

post-265-1241714190_thumb.jpg

post-265-1241714213_thumb.jpg

post-265-1241714239_thumb.jpg

post-265-1241714263_thumb.jpg

post-265-1241714285_thumb.jpg

post-265-1241714330_thumb.jpg

Got mine earlier in the week and no issues here, but hot damn I do love this toy, definitely my favorite Macross toy out of the few I do own. The VF-11b was always my favorite and I'm finally glad to have a toy to replace the 1/72 version. Having played around with it for a few days now I really cant think of a single complaint to log against it as it's pretty much perfect in every way.

Here's hoping the VF-25 is just as good as I have one of those bad boys on the way now :D

I started working on my review last night but I probably won't post it until next week. I want to take comparison shots with the other Mac Plus toys and also the original 1/72 toy so it's going to take a while. Plus I really want to put it through its paces before I write a blurb on it.

I must say the VF 11 is one good looking fighter. Love looking at it in all angles. Even at work I cant stop looking at the pics posted. Very nice formation pics Dobber. Good stuff