Bandai 1/60 DX VF-25 transformable toy thread

apparently, this image is not the version dx 1/60 but the vf-25f of the new range vf-100

Well that looks glaringly familiar to the initial supposedly DX pictures - so maybe the actual DX will look even better :)

Pete

How's about this? I don't think the Bandai DX toy looks 100% flawlessly accurate to the show. I am glad. I prefer it. The model on the series looks far too lanky and girly compared to the DX toy which is beefier and tougher looking.

Agreed. While my opinion may not count for much, the last few pictures at the bottom of the original post showing the unpainted plastic toy make me prefer it over the overly lankily- proportioned model kit.

apparently, this image is not the version dx 1/60 but the vf-25f of the new range vf-100

Hmm...interesting that the crotch placement is the same. I do like the more balanced appearance.

Agreed. While my opinion may not count for much, the last few pictures at the bottom of the original post showing the unpainted plastic toy make me prefer it over the overly lankily- proportioned model kit.

Same here, nothing has to be completely accurate just to look good. Same reason I like the CMS Legioss. *edit whoops!* There aren't blatantly obvious pieces this toy that make it look like a child's toy. It's definitely a toy for the older fan, just not the most accurate.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Bandai's model still look better. The valks are meant to be skinny imo. although I will still buy this at some point because I like the sturdy toughness of bandai toys.

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Actually some people said they'd wait 10 years. I think it would be good if there was a poll made: Would you buy a bandai toy that looked like an upscaled 1/72?

If these sell well, maybe they could consider doing version 2 in 5 years time like yamato did with vf-1. :p

Hmm...interesting that the crotch placement is the same. I do like the more balanced appearance.

Same here, nothing has to be completely accurate just to look good. Same reason I like the CMS Legioss. *edit whoops!* There aren't blatantly obvious pieces this toy that make it look like a child's toy. It's definitely a toy for the older fan, just not the most accurate.

I love the CM legioss too, maybe i can live with this version just the same as i did and continue to with the CM adaption of the Legioss.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Bandai's model still look better. The valks are meant to be skinny imo. although I will still buy this at some point because I like the sturdy toughness of bandai toys.

Actually some people said they'd wait 10 years. I think it would be good if there was a poll made: Would you buy a bandai toy that looked like an upscaled 1/72?

If these sell well, maybe they could consider doing version 2 in 5 years time like yamato did with vf-1. :p

there should be an open poll to determine who bitched about it and bought it anyways and who has the willpower to actually wait 5-10 years.

...and even if bandai keeps the MacF license for that long, the so-called "new" macross fans, who's first foray into Macross is MacF, will find out that Macross goes way way back. and they're gonna read this thread and think "what are these Yamato valks that everybody keeps mentioning?"... and guess who else is gonna cash in on these new fans???

there should be an open poll to determine who bitched about it and bought it anyways and who has the willpower to actually wait 5-10 years.

...and even if bandai keeps the MacF license for that long, the so-called "new" macross fans, who's first foray into Macross is MacF, will find out that Macross goes way way back. and they're gonna read this thread and think "what are these Yamato valks that everybody keeps mentioning?"... and guess who else is gonna cash in on these new fans???

Yamato. :D That's if they are still making stuff by that time, which i hope they are.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Holy crap those things are more massive looking than Ozma's VF-25 with Armored Packs in the anime. If they make Armored packs for the 1/60 VF-25, it's going to look like those obscenely obese people that come waddling out of McDonalds with a bag full of Big Macs. :o

Those things are going to have a pretty damned chunky fighter mode.

Addition: I see DX on the card too Kensei.

Edited by Sumdumgai

After seeing the Michel and Luca Super Pack equipped DXes, I have to say, the placement of the hip joints on the legs seem too low.

As I said before, I don't mind the placement on the crotch, or even the placement of the legs themselves. But now that I've seen where the hip joint connects to the legs, it bothers me because it makes the leg movement unnatural. Just look at Michel's valk and see how the legs are practically in front of the torso. That's terribly unnatural and unsightly, not to mention how ugly it would further look when posed in action shots.

The Super pack themselves do not bother me. They look good on the VF-25. I'm wondering now how the armored pack will look like, given that it has more bulk than the Super pack. None of the missile bays are open though, so I'm wondering if the missiles will be removable.

I like the detail on Michel's sniper rifle as well. I hope Bandai does a spring mechanism to simulate the opening of the stabilizers in the anime. That would be awesome!

I'm considering waiting for an Ozma Armored Pack bundle instead of buying the naked valk this December. That way, there will be time for some tweaks to the original manufacturing process and hopefully, less manufacturing errors after the first run.

a bag full of Big Macs.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........Big Macs................

Ehem - anyways - back on topic:

It seems that Bandai is using Hasbro employees to do their photography and product display placement. Hasbro employees, after all use the simple 5-steps-to-Absurdity method:

1. Don't look at the instructions

2. Correct Transformation is a matter of open artistic interpretation

3. Posing is what you do to get the job doing the gallery/photography - after that it don't mean nothin'....

4. Lighting and angle sound like complicated words. Anybody got a dictionary?

5. They're just toys and I'm not going to waste my time on them; I am an artist! There are black and white allies in New York or birds chirping on trees to photograph.

Pete

Crotch armor's still missing. And these pics just prove again that Bandai seems to have "missed the point" of the VF-25, that which defines it compared to other valks:

The VF-25 is supposed to be skinny in battroid so as not to look FAT when all armored up. VF-25 is the first valk to be able to transform in full armor, and is thus designed to look good with it equipped in all modes. Unless you fatten it up...

They are growing on my more and more. One thing that really bugs me about battroid mode which nobody else seems to have mentoned is the upper arms (bicep area). They just look too thick IMO. I can live with the too high hips, too long ankles, but the upper arms really bug me for some reason.

Graham

I think those of us who complain about the "accuracy" of the DX toy are a bit "retconed" by the 1/72 model...Certainly, the model is very close to the CG model we see in Frontier and the lineart that's been circulating around, but some things are never "perfect", still, the proportions in the model look very good to me eyes and if the 1/60 model was exactly like that, I'd be woohooo and get it in a second. I don't own a large collection of mecha, only selected Macross toys...the Revoltech Regults are not lineart or TV show accurate at all, but come to think of it, the mechs in the show were very "low resolution" so I am not bothered by the longer legs and bigger feet of the revoltech Regults, I tend to think of this as some kind of artistic license, and if the outcome pleases me, I am fine.

Back to the VF-25, as I said, the model may actually be more "visually pleasing" than accurate (or both which is great), and I really wish the toy was a bit more like the model. Regarding mechanical feasibility, and despite the exoskeleton explanation, from 1/72 to 1/60 is not that far really and it's been proven that those proportions work even though there is some partsforming, most certainly the actual skeleton of the toy would need to be much simpler than that of the model.

To answer Graham, I really cannot ignore any of the design problems of the subject discussed. I agree that Macross toys (or the trasformable Bandai kit) are very cool toys in their own rigth, in the "vacuum" of no TV shows or anime whatsoever, but at the end of the day, they're designed, produced, marketed and purchased because they represent some mecha we saw in action in the anime. I have no idea if Yamato would have done a better job, or if/when will they get a license for MacrossF, but as some others suggested, maybe the best solution is to pass on this one.

Is that the actual toy or is it animation??

I am quite sure this is not animation, but did you guys notice that the battroid is actually lying on a desktop instead of standing on its feet?

they only flipped the picture to make it look better...

More pics of 1/60 VF-25F, S, G and RVF-25 from the trade show.

http://hk.rd.yahoo.com/blog/mod/art_title/...ticle?mid=14930

not very flattering pictures really...with armor, the DX toy looks like it's going to burst at the seams, even chunkier than the original chunky money.

On the other hand, those figures of Alto and co. are frikin' good, I am completely buying all...still missing Ozma tho.

Uhhhh! Glad for those of you that like it but those armoured pics look terrible! As someone else said, the out of place legs just add to the problem and become even more WRONG with the armour. Also the first pic of Alto's VF-25 gives us the first nearly profile shot of this sculpt in fighter mode. IMO it looks WAYYYYYY to fat in the leg area and the nose just looks off somehow too. Overall, YUK for me. Hopefull when this is released people will take good pictures and it will look better, but at this point I'm not holding my breath.

Chris

The wonky posses of the 1/60 DX VF-25G and RVF-25 battroids are likely beacuse they are preproduction test shots or resin sculpts, which always have very loose joints and so can rarely stand straight. I'm sure production versions will look and pose better.

The 1/60 DX VF-25F Alto and VF-25S Ozma are growing on me and look better from most angles and in most modes, especially if you squint a little. :p

The deal-breaker pic though is the side view photo of Alto's 1/60 DX VF-25F in fighter mode. The short landing gear and chunky proportions really look awful and no amount of squinting helps.

The 1/100 Alto VF-25F partsformer on the other hand is looking better and better with each new pic.

Graham

Ok, who the heck posed those things, as if the sculpt weren't bad enough it looks like Michels VF-25 Is doing a pelvic thrust, what is full sized Klan Klan standing right in front of him?

hmm... very interesting. the alto, as a toy actually looks pretty good. it's not accurate to the anime at all, but as a a toy separated form the show it looks good to me (still not buying). as for the armor, it looks good, though I think the armor is too fat (as in it's excessively thick). another thing I've noticed, it looks like the shield has to come off in order to transform, like on the model kit.

overall the model looks good, the toy looks decent but not my cup of tea.

and as for the gashapons... OMG WANT!!!!