Bandai 1/60 DX VF-25 transformable toy thread

It's an evolved chunky monkey, but it's still a chunky monkey.

Those model kit VF-25s are looking pretty badass on the other hand. Hell, I would have bought a scaled up toy based on the model kit even if I had to assemble it, as long as the main markings were already stamped/printed on it.

Did I read correctly in the blog post that you can only order the super packs via the Bandai site?

How does that work for US residents with the HG blockade in place?

now THIS I'm worried about... come on Bandai what's the sense in doing that <_< ? I'll be so disapointed if this turns out to be true, 75% of the reason I wanted was because of the packs.

now THIS I'm worried about... come on Bandai what's the sense in doing that <_< ? I'll be so disapointed if this turns out to be true, 75% of the reason I wanted was because of the packs.

That appears to be the case. It looks like the separate super packs will be available exclusively through Bandai's Tamashii site.

This leads me to suspect that Bandai eventually intends to bundle the super packs at a later time. I bet they're doing to this to get the plain jane VF-25 out the door as soon as possible and give themselves time to develop the super packs. IOW i think it's a delay tactic.

Edited by Vifam7

Will still buy the 1/60 DX, but I think just one of each instead of multiples as originally planned.

At this point in time the 1/100 parts-former is looking far better.

Sigh............I just know that if Yamato had the 1/60 licence, their rendition would be a thing of great beauty. Oh well, it is not to be. :(

Graham

Have you brought up the issue of Frontier with your yamato Rep friends previously G-Man? What they reckon about it all?

You said there is a whole heap of stuff coming out this year (we got the tally down now), and of course the other re-paints and

re-makes next year, (with the possibility of the Reactive, and VF-11 soon)

Will it slow down for us (hopefully), has Yamato got enough stuff to keep them happy during the lack of Frontier licence?

Just seen on hlj.com the model of Alto's it looks great, never seen pics of the model really, not that i was interested. (posted for comparions)

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN955525

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Those model kit VF-25s are looking pretty badass on the other hand.

They look nice, and accurate, but I actually like the more balanced appearance of the toys better. The model looks more anorexic in comparison, sure it is more accurate, but in this case, I don't mind the changes to the toy.

Sigh............I just know that if Yamato had the 1/60 licence, their rendition would be a thing of great beauty. Oh well, it is not to be.

Maybe it is just me, but maybe that is a good thing. Maybe years from now, when they are finally able to get the license, their qc will be through the roof and their toys damn near indestructible. Maybe Yamato will finally have their durability match their high level of accuracy.

IOW i think it's a delay tactic.

Same here...but god damn it that sucks for us in the states!

Have you brought up the issue of Frontier with your yamato Rep friends previously G-Man? What they reckon about it all?

You said there is a whole heap of stuff coming out this year (we got the tally down now), and of course the other re-paints and

re-makes next year, (with the possibility of the Reactive, and VF-11 soon)

Will it slow down for us (hopefully), has Yamato got enough stuff to keep them happy during the lack of Frontier licence?

Just seen on hlj.com the model of Alto's it looks great, never seen pics of the model really, not that i was interested. (posted for comparions)

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN955525

Many of us (myself included) have bought and built the model already and it is the best looking representation of the VF-25 so far. Check out the relevant threads in the model forum, as we shouldn't discuss the model here.

Yamato are not talking with me at the moment (not sure why). I haven't had any replies or news from them for 3 months now.

Previously, they did indicate that the Frontier licence may become available in 3 to 4 years. However, I can foresee Bandai blocking them permanently, same as they have done with the M7 licence.

Graham

Hmmm it's a really hard call to make....I want it cause it'll be in scale with Yamato's releases...but I'm not keen on it's obessity appearance or hand change out...dunno why it really needs that which I thought was also lame about the model kit having 3 different styles of hands.

But I want the character figures!

Many of us (myself included) have bought and built the model already and it is the best looking representation of the VF-25 so far. Check out the relevant threads in the model forum, as we shouldn't discuss the model here.

Yamato are not talking with me at the moment (not sure why). I haven't had any replies or news from them for 3 months now.

Previously, they did indicate that the Frontier licence may become available in 3 to 4 years. However, I can foresee Bandai blocking them permanently, same as they have done with the M7 licence.

Graham

lol, perm blockage, that sucks. And 3 months is a fair long time. Oh well.

My cancellation of the DX Ozma was pushed over the edge by the Super Parts bullsh^t, i'll see what happens later on.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Hmmm it's a really hard call to make....I want it cause it'll be in scale with Yamato's releases...but I'm not keen on it's obessity appearance or hand change out...dunno why it really needs that which I thought was also lame about the model kit having 3 different styles of hands.

But I want the character figures!

So there isn't a articulated hand on the DX's?? That takes the cake. Crapolla!

dunno why it really needs that which I thought was also lame about the model kit having 3 different styles of hands.

It's because most of the time when a hand is made to be articulated on a toy, the sculpt/size is usually compromised, and the fingers are prone to looseness. This is the same reason why Yamato eventually included swappable hands on their later 1/48 releases, and included them from the start on the new 1/60. Bandai got around this on their gundam models by eventually adding a tab to secure weaponry or accessories placed in the hand, in addition to swappable sets of hands.

Here's my take, 2 sets of hands I can live with, 1 set with tabs for gunpod, the second set much like the 1/72's for holding the shield. God and PLEASE tell me they wont pull that same crap unless it actually fits. I've got this nice big gap between the body and the shield in fighter mode and it's just about as horrible as the gaps on the hips.

There were always ways around the hands in the gundam kits, for instance there were alternate molds that were available so you could get poseable fingers for them, and later with a lil bit of cutting you could do the same with the latest releases i think starting from the OYW Gundam.

That's just my take again, 2 sets, not 3, or 4, you tend to loose things easier that way.

Here's my take, 2 sets of hands I can live with, 1 set with tabs for gunpod, the second set much like the 1/72's for holding the shield. God and PLEASE tell me they wont pull that same crap unless it actually fits. I've got this nice big gap between the body and the shield in fighter mode and it's just about as horrible as the gaps on the hips.

There were always ways around the hands in the gundam kits, for instance there were alternate molds that were available so you could get poseable fingers for them, and later with a lil bit of cutting you could do the same with the latest releases i think starting from the OYW Gundam.

That's just my take again, 2 sets, not 3, or 4, you tend to loose things easier that way.

I can definitely see where your coming from about too many hands to swap for every little thing... and I do admit it is kinda annoying... gundam figures usually have like 3 sets of hands and it is really annoying when you have to swap hands for a gun and a blade. Although its annoying the fixed pose hands offer far greater stability than any articulated hand could ever provide. Id rather have a few sets of fixed hands than one lousy set of moveable hands that can't hold the gunpod right...

oh my god...

the casters are final production ?!?!?!?

and the downward sloping nosecone! if anybody needed proof of the DX being 80's style chunky, that's pretty much it.

behold! 80's era limp nosecone!

post-2535-1224047165_thumb.jpg

kinda makes me wish they'd just go full chunky on the thing with just 1 set of blocky hands with weapon slots.

it's not like they were trying to compete with some other company that does Valks in 1/60 scale, right?

i still think i'm gonna buy one for the hell of it. i'm going for "near indestructible" toys this season :lol:

i'll get accuracy with the V2.0 & Tomahawk anyway.

i still think i'm gonna buy one for the hell of it. i'm going for "near indestructible" toys this season :lol:

Yeah, near indestructible toys! Now we can actually not live in mortal fear if the toy took an accidental nose dive from a faulty stand :p I may actually let my nephews play with it if it turns out to be as sturdy as it looks.

1 word. Fugly.

The amor packs don't make them look any better in fact it looks hell alot worse.

Bandai isn't having my money for the 1/60s. But feel free to make me eat my words. As for the Aquarion, it isn't a good toy either, so its a weak example to present an argument. And yes I have it.

You know, about the hips...

I don't think there's a viable way to make those CG-accurate on the toy without suffering breakage issues. The part just looks too thin, and I can't see how a hip joint would fit in there and still be sturdy enough to support the weight of the upper body (+ armor).

Unless they use carbon-reinforced plastic, in which case you can add $60 or so to the price <_<

Also, looking at the Michel/Luca Valk test shots, there's something weird about the upper legs I can't exactly lay my finger on. The upper leg armor looks the same, yet seems to sit higher on Michel's Valk than on Luca's, while Luca's upper legs seem to sit lower than Michel's. Mistransformed?

Furthermore, I suspect these might be the same test shots over and over again, possibly coming from the same, non-final mold.

let's wait until a serious company gives more attention into a design and it would be a real pleasure to make comparaison picks just for you

Serious eh? That would certainly take into account something called durability correct? That is an aspect of quality, merely looking damn accurate and accomplishing the feat of perfect transformation doesn't cut it, durability has to be taken into account. If you were buying a SHE, IHP, or modded Hase I could understand since those are not supposed to be played with, but when you see toys being made by companies catering to collectors there are no excuses. These companies in question aren't making garage kits here, there is no excuse for breakages out of the box and questionable design decisions. It would be a real pleasure to see another company take a stab at the design and make it more accurate; but that pleasure is diminished if something like, oh, an arm falls off.

but it still looks like a VF-25 version of the old VF-1 Chunky monkey...

It doesn't to me, I don't see huge, obvious diecast swing bars in fighter mode, an exposed head without any attempt to hide it, a gun that can't be mounted in fighter mode, legs that can only be swung up and down and not sideways, et a

l.

As for the Aquarion, it isn't a good toy either, so its a weak example to present an argument.

I don't think Ginrai ever stated that it was a good toy. I think he only made the comparison since it is a modern DX toy, based on a mecha designed by Kawamori and made by Bandai, and it is a more accurate comparison to the new DX VF-25 than comparing the 25 to the 1/55 VF-1.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

"You can fix a broken arm, but you can't fix ugly".

Point is, you shouldn't have to. Which is the same reason that this may actually be a good thing for all of us, maybe 8-10 years from now, broken arms, Tab B's, canopy hinges, broken hips, chipped intakes, bp8's, missing heads, flawed 1st releases, weak hinges on parts that endure a lot of tension, rubber seepage, incorrect installation of pins into critical hinges, unforseen breakages due to unforseen chemical reactions between contacting plastic pieces, et al will be ghosts in Yamato's past, and they will finally have their quality control problems eliminated so that they can seriously take on the giant company of Bandai. What they do is admirable but their accomplishments which are no easy feat, are easily tarnished by quality control problems. Maybe they can make a VF-25 that doesn't break. Can they do it now? Who the hell knows. Maybe that is the reason Big West is letting Bandai hold onto the license for Frontier so long. Broken VF-0 arms, problems prior to that in recent years, and more recently, some broken VF-1S toys probably didn't inspire a lot of confidence in Big West. Broke toys don't make a profit.

I like the way the 25 is turning out, like how it is more balanced and thicker compared to the model kit, like how the gear is not as long, and like the overall look. I wish the crotch placement was like the model kit's. I wish the nose gear was just a little bit longer, and that the gear overall were more detailed. I don't mind the inaccuracies so long as Bandai was going for specific approaches for a good reason. It is not like Bandai shoved all the robot limbs underneath and made them blatantly obvious, or shove huge gatling guns under the wings to cover up the intakes, then in robot mode, call the gatling guns arms, or simply did away with landing gears to begin with and just make the engine turbines swivel out from under the intakes to serve as landing gear. That is what some modern transforming jet toys do, some as recent as last year.

^^ The 1/72 is really looking good to me now. I just might scrap my plans on getting the DX 1/60 and get that one instead. Ruins the all 1/60 valks plan I have though.

welcome to the club. that's why I'm glad I never bought into this 1/60 scale crap and have nothing but 1/48 and 1/72 stuff (except for my YF-21)`

Maybe it is just me, but maybe that is a good thing. Maybe years from now, when they are finally able to get the license, their qc will be through the roof and their toys damn near indestructible. Maybe Yamato will finally have their durability match their high level of accuracy.

years from now, nobody will give a crap about toy's as we know them today. by the time yamato gets the license they'll be doing something crazy like self transforming valks and we'll still have all kinds of new QC issues that wont get fixed.

lol, perm blockage, that sucks. And 3 months is a fair long time. Oh well.

3 YEARS. 3 months is nothing.

So there isn't a articulated hand on the DX's?? That takes the cake. Crapolla!

articulated hands suck. they're either too tiny, or (on some gundams) absolutely massive. either way they look like ass and can never hold a weapon right. I'd rather just have fixed pose hands with good detail.

3 YEARS. 3 months is nothing.

articulated hands suck. they're either too tiny, or (on some gundams) absolutely massive. either way they look like ass and can never hold a weapon right. I'd rather just have fixed pose hands with good detail.

no, 3 months without having contact with Yamato.

Ok, point, but can the fixed hands be retracted back into the arm like they should on a PT toy? if not then that's what i'm going on about. I don't feel the need to spell everything out.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

It is not like Bandai shoved all the robot limbs underneath and made them blatantly obvious, or shove huge gatling guns under the wings to cover up the intakes, then in robot mode, call the gatling guns arms, or simply did away with landing gears to begin with and just make the engine turbines swivel out from under the intakes to serve as landing gear. That is what some modern transforming jet toys do, some as recent as last year.

But did those toys cost as much as the DX VF-25?

no, 3 months without having contact with Yamato.

Ok, point, but can the fixed hands be retracted back into the arm like they should on a PT toy? if not then that's what i'm going on about. I don't feel the need to spell everything out.

the hands dont retract on the VF-25 though, they're supposed to be open with the fingers together pointing strait out, tucked into the shield (which in of itself isn't PT).

you can't get possable hands into the correct position for PT anyway's

Ahh righto, well in that case it's not so bad. Still the option for articulated hands would have been nice, like Yamato offers. Chicken hand or not, i like to be able to open them

up or close for specialty poses.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Graham, slightly OT. You said that there is a possiability that Bandai may block the license for good...would that apply to the Frontier Movie as well? DYRL seemed to help get things to us maybe the F movie could do the same?

Chris

Just wanted to say

By keeping this support to a bad looking toy :angry:

we will just get bad looking toys in the futur

wake up guys ! toy manufacturers are reading forums to get a good temperature of their product ....

if we keep saying it is not that bad we will simply keep getting this kind of bad product

we all deserve good products considering the price they are asking for

people who like it have strange taste honestly, we are not the same buyers I guess....

I am always looking for good looking and quality products

and for those that are angry against yamato

I have to say that without yamato design even if it could be fragile sometimes

they will just have a fleet of chunkies that just does not represent corretly the macross mecha universe to display

how could those valks reminds you at a first sight of macross

you have to be realistic

:ph34r:

to finish I am not yamatoed :

as a customer I just deserve a good product specially when the term 1/60 perfect transfo vf-25 is used

When I read VF-25 i expect a VF-25 and not something like a VF-25

:angry:

Edited by Ghostkiller