Bandai 1/60 DX VF-25 transformable toy thread

The wonky posses of the 1/60 DX VF-25G and RVF-25 battroids are likely beacuse they are preproduction test shots or resin sculpts, which always have very loose joints and so can rarely stand straight.

Graham

why would they need to build a resin sculpt for the G? i can understand why with the RVF-25 because of the radome, but isn't the G completely the same valk except for the head and gunpod?

Based on looks only, I prefer to buy any Yamato 1/60 instead. I did wanted an Ozma, but for me, these just don't worth the effort.

I'm not a accuracy nazi, mind you. Not in this case at least, I've only seen a few episodes of Frontier and whereas the Messiah has grown on me, for the battle sequences I can hardly tell if the hips are too big or if the knee sits too high up, but I do like to see my toys as works of art, and I think every Valk should look mean, cool and sleek on Gerwalk, Battroid and Fighter modes respectively and this toy fails miserably in all three cases. (same reason why I decided to skip on the CMs' Legiosses, tho' I kinda like Armo Soldier mode sometimes).

Maybe the DXs strong point is not on the looks but on the sturdiness, durability and zero design issues, but that also remains to be seen.

interesting vintage VF-25 :lol:

more seriously

the overall look is way off unfortunately I am sticking to the models

the side view in fighter is so bad

this is the only VF-25 toy downtown for years

why why Bandai !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

why have u done this

it is year 2008 technology should have been used for the design

WOW...I think I've actually traveled back in time to the 1980's judging by the way those toys looks...I hope they cost like in the 1980's too, only way I actually buy a POS looking thing like that...

If you think that looks like the 80's 1/55 Valkyrie... are you drunk? Botched lasik surgery?

If you think that looks like the 80's 1/55 Valkyrie... are you drunk? Botched lasik surgery?

If you think it looks like a modern toy I think you are blind or just too happy to get the only vf-25 toy in 1/60

simple exemple : short landing gears is an old school design

those gears just make it looks like the alpha masterpiece

I do not even think that the fighter mode is mistranformed it just pops up from everywhere It is me being bad here

====> mistransforming a valk into fighter mode is a real challenge

I have nothing against Bandai and I thought it would have been nice to have competition that could bring us all good valks in the near futur

but it makes no match here

Where is the sleek mode of the VF-25 ? they have screwed up with the design and this just not acceptable nowadays

no compromise was made from a mode to another mode... none of them looks really good

If pay for a valk I would expect at least envoy one of the mode :p

I know a lot of us on the bord just bought a valk cause they loved 1 particular mode.... just for the display in the collection

Hmm. Looking at the Luca and Mikhal versions I suspect that if I do get one of them it won't be displayed in Battroid with the Super packs attached. Perhaps in fighter, but in Battroid I would definitely be displaying them clean. (Now what I really want to know is whether they are poseable enough I can get a good, braced, shooting stance with that sniper cannon.)

For some reason the landing gear on the DX doesn't really bother me too much. I know it isn't show accurate, and isn't entirely practical by the look of it, but it doesn't bother me that much. In fact, that side view is making me lean towards the idea of picking up the Alto version - the colours look rather striking in that lighting.

Karl

Did I read correctly in the blog post that you can only order the super packs via the Bandai site?

How does that work for US residents with the HG blockade in place?

Oh, that would suck! I hate all these loops and hoops and hurdles that us non-japanese macross fans have to get through to enjoy this hobby! Damn you Harmony Gold!!!!!

If you think it looks like a modern toy I think you are blind or just too happy to get the only vf-25 toy in 1/60

simple exemple : short landing gears is an old school design

those gears just make it looks like the alpha masterpiece

I do not even think that the fighter mode is mistranformed it just pops up from everywhere It is me being bad here

You have got to be kidding me. You can quibble over minor details all you want. If you think this looks like an 80's toy, you've never seen an 80's toy.

why would they need to build a resin sculpt for the G? i can understand why with the RVF-25 because of the radome, but isn't the G completely the same valk except for the head and gunpod?

test shot.

it looks like the head/super packs are resin, and the rest of the body is final materials.

You have got to be kidding me. You can quibble over minor details all you want. If you think this looks like an 80's toy, you've never seen an 80's toy.

not an 80s toy but something that could have been produced years years years ago :lol:

My post pointed out that lazy bandai team did not use correctly the availaible technology to produce the toy

ouups they used CAD design actually but the cad was wrong !

let's wait until a serious company gives more attention into a design and it would be a real pleasure to make comparaison picks just for you :p

I think the main problem is the price. For that price, a higher quality item is to be expected. It isn't anime accurate, it looks "chunky", none of the modes look great, and it's expensive. That's a combination for failure in my opinion. I think they should be marketing these for around $60-70 standard and maybe $70-80 with Fast Packs/Armor. Heck, they could have just scaled up the models, which look great and only cost about $50. So a smaller, cheaper version looks better than the larger (which should mean they can tool it better), more expensive version. That shouldn't happen. I'll just wait for a model with armor/fast packs (hopefully Michel's b/c I love that sniper rifle and blue color scheme).

Edited by protostar8

This really is enverything I was afraid of when we heard Bandai was producing this toy. It may be sturdy and may be 100% qc free, but it still looks like a VF-25 version of the old VF-1 Chunky monkey...(not a fan of that one either outside of nostalgic reasons) guess the long wait for Yamato or anyone else....including Bandai, to make something better has started. The models will hold me over along with the VF-11. If this Toy was priced as a toy, $50-MAYBE $80 range I'd think about getting one. but for $120-140 you gotta be kidding me.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

You guys need to go revisit the 1/55 if you think it is at all in the same class as the VF-25. This VF-25 is quite similar in design and build to the recent Chogokin Aquarion.

I think you're the one missing the point. The complaint is that it's aesthetically similar to the chunkies. They look to be as far from the look of the animation and lineart as much as the chunkies are to the VF-1.

I'm not really disappointed about how these turned out. Even the 1/100 which are much more pleasing to the eye, I just dont like small giant robot toys.

I'm only buying 2 of each instead of three!

:lol:

nah, I'll be skipping both of these until they make the armored versions in the 1/100 scale.

If this Toy was priced as a toy, $50-MAYBE $80 range I'd think about getting one. but for $120-140 you gotta be kidding me.

Chris

maybe you'd like them to start writing you checks too while their at it. be realistic, regardless of how good/bad the DX looks, there's no way they could charge that little. it's not a cell phone or playstation where they can sell it bellow cost and make money back through later charges. bandai has to at minimum break even, and expect to be able to turn a profit.

I think you're the one missing the point. The complaint is that it's aesthetically similar to the chunkies. They look to be as far from the look of the animation and lineart as much as the chunkies are to the VF-1.

But it's NOT aesthetically similar to the Takatoku 1/55s. The Macross 7 1/60s are aesthetically similar to the Takatoku 1/55s. Those look like simplified, rough and tough, cheap for kids toys. The 1/60 VF-25 looks like Bandai's recent non-SoC Chogokin output. An assload of metal, kind of gangly, more concerned with being heavy and metal and covering all the transformations without breaking than looking precisely like anemic 3D models from the shows in question.

Aquarion.

aquarion-sol-3.jpg

Not the same mode, but it was all I found with a quick google:

http://img43.echo.cx/img43/8153/aquarionluna0ny.png

Edited by Ginrai

maybe you'd like them to start writing you checks too while their at it. be realistic, regardless of how good/bad the DX looks, there's no way they could charge that little. it's not a cell phone or playstation where they can sell it bellow cost and make money back through later charges. bandai has to at minimum break even, and expect to be able to turn a profit.

OK, so I'll be realistic. How about they actually make a toy that looks more like the subject then what they have. If they are so concerned about profiting, then they should have put more effort into making a more accurate sculpt, ensuring that more people would buy it. Look, I know that there are many people that are quite happy with the DX so far, but how many of us are also now passing on buying one....or at least not buying nearly as many as they originally would have. The price point they seem to have set these at SEEM to be high for just a toy, being at a more collectors grade type products cost, but the sculpt falls short of what should have been given for said cost.

Chris

No offense buddy, but you think they aren't making a freaking killing at that price??? Look at Masterpiece Starscream (while I don't like it that much), it is a very well engineered, pretty sturdy toy. It only costs $100 (or at least it did at release). The US version only cost $75. Yamato used to make valks of similar quality and sell them around $100 (and they came with armor at that price point). So the toy is overpriced. Toy companies now-a-day charge a very high premium. I'd wager that each of these costs Bandai no more than $30 with engineering factored in to the charge per piece produced. Hell, Transformers are too cheap and have too good of engineering for anyone to say that something like this is acceptable at the price they are charging (Just using TF's as a reference b/c they have very good quality and fairly low price for all except re-issues and customs).

A voice of reason! God damn it I miss your reviews man!

But it's NOT aesthetically similar to the Takatoku 1/55s. The Macross 7 1/60s are aesthetically similar to the Takatoku 1/55s. Those look like simplified, rough and tough, cheap for kids toys. The 1/60 VF-25 looks like Bandai's recent non-SoC Chogokin output. An assload of metal, kind of gangly, more concerned with being heavy and metal and covering all the transformations without breaking than looking precisely like anemic 3D models from the shows in question.

Agreed

Look at Masterpiece Starscream (while I don't like it that much), it is a very well engineered, pretty sturdy toy. It only costs $100 (or at least it did at release). The US version only cost $75.

Actually, it was $48 something plus tax. With tax in my state, I paid $51+.

that aquarion toy doesn't make for a good argument... it too is fugly. I guess there's a market for faux 80's toys.

Wow, I am amazed by the people here. This does NOT look like an 80's toy. The articulation is far above 80's toy level, the complexity of the transformation is far above, the looks are far above... You can't possibly be serious.

Maybe you need a memory refresher:

PRO_314_2_2978.jpg

062.jpg

You don't have to like this toy, but the idea that the Chogokin DX VF-25 is on the same level as 80's toy design is ludicrous.

Furthermore, have you TOUCHED the DX Aquarion?

The DX is to the 21st century what the Chunky was to the 80s or w/e. Obviously toy technology has come a long way. The DX would be a marvel of engineering if it was from 1980. The opinion is still valid however. The DX is a big bloated fugly toy imo. It barely passes for accurate...gasp much like the old chunky did to the subject matter.

Aquarion.

aquarion-sol-3.jpg

Not the same mode, but it was all I found with a quick google:

http://img43.echo.cx/img43/8153/aquarionluna0ny.png

Hey, that Aquarion dude stole Kawamori's VF-25 design! What a ripoff!

:p

The DX is to the 21st century what the Chunky was to the 80s or w/e. Obviously toy technology has come a long way. The DX would be a marvel of engineering if it was from 1980. The opinion is still valid however. The DX is a big bloated fugly toy imo. It barely passes for accurate...gasp much like the old chunky did to the subject matter.

Whatever man, you need to get your eyes checked.

Furthermore, have you TOUCHED the DX Aquarion?

Yes... I believe... back in 1986... I bought the Matchbox Voltron instead.

:lol:

Man... I just got a report to mod about this thread... seriously, people on this forum get so worked up...

even me sometimes.