First use of the Wilhelm scream; 1951's Distant Drums:

The name comes from 1953's The Charge at Feather River:

That was hilarious! Thank you!

Funny thing is: the original sounds ever-so-slightly different from the re-dubs that have been subsequently used over the years[only just a little]. Go figure. :blink:

ed: I wonder how they'll handle Smaug. My only reference has always been the '77 cartoon. I always liked Richard Boone's gravelly, booming performance as the dragon; lent him that much more imposing presence.

Edited by reddsun1

They look much more the part after seeing them all together.

I agree....the Klingon one doesn't look so Klingon in this pic

HBT-DWF-007.jpg

Edited by peter

ed: I wonder how they'll handle Smaug. My only reference has always been the '77 cartoon. I always liked Richard Boone's gravelly, booming performance as the dragon; lent him that much more imposing presence.

Smaug is going to be voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch, who has become famous in the last 12 months for playing Sherlock Holmes in the latest BBC series based on the legend. Great actor. Martin Freeman plays his Watson so there is a bit of a link there......

290x200_BenedictCumberbatch.jpg

A trailer for Sherlock, so you can get some idea of what he's like.....

Eh, they look pretty close to how I imagined them. I always hated how they looked and were portrayed in the old Rankin Bass cartoon, like a bunch of bumbling garden gnomes.

I think they look more in line with how Dwarves in fantasy novels & games are portrayed, which is a far cry from the ones the general public is familiar with, like the ones in Snow White & the 7 Dwarves.

None of which involved heroes using Florentine street fencing techniques....

meh, all movie sword fighting is historically inaccurate to actual medieval sword fighting to begin with. And since middle earth isn't even supposed to be medieval europe...

carry on though, someone needs to be mad about something, might as well be this.

Edited by eugimon

carry on though, someone needs to be mad about something, might as well be this.

Damnit man, that's the most perfect response to any and every negative internet post that I've ever seen. :lol:

I do understand the fan rage though - I had a pretty hefty amount if it when the LOTR films first came out. I was so angry when the Elves showed up at Helms Deep that I think my soul actually left my body for a few seconds. I've since learned that I can lead a much happier life and enjoy movies more by having two separate drawers in my mental filing cabinet, one marked "Books" and one marked "Films". Things can still get to me though. Like if The Hobbit ends in an 'everyone sing and dance!' routine set to a Smashmouth song or something, that would push me over the edge.

meh, all movie sword fighting is historically inaccurate to actual medieval sword fighting to begin with. And since middle earth isn't even supposed to be medieval europe...

If the fight between Dread Pirate Roberts and Inigo was not realistic, well then, reality is just going to have to change.

Is that a strawman or a serious question? :lol: Seriously, though, the double-handed meme does stink. Kingdom of Heaven did decent medieval choreography...

Is that a strawman or a serious question? :lol: Seriously, though, the double-handed meme does stink. Kingdom of Heaven did decent medieval choreography...

Exactly. That was one of the things I liked about Kingdom of Heaven. The Lord of the Rings should have looked like that in more ways than one (the distressing amount of plate armour grated on my nerves). I guess it depends upon your level of tolerance. I hate seeing Heroic Saga myths/stories that have the characters using Crusader Knight's Arming Swords (Cross-shaped, which was to show a Knight's devotion to Christ) instead of Migration and/or Viking Era Long Swords. The more I began studying The Migration Era, the more I found I had little tolerance for stuff like Excalibur or even The 13th Warrior.

The usual answer is 'people don't know any better, so what?' which basically answers the question. If people DON'T know any better, then WHAT is wrong with at least attempting to LOOK proper? Certainly not money, since there ARE weapon/armour prop smiths out there that will reproduce the stuff necessary.

Serious question. Lord of the Rings isn't set in any historical era of Earth, and is entirely fantasy, so it confuses me why anyone would expect anything "realistic" out of it. To me the whole point of fantasy is an escape from reality, where anything is possible. I don't need to see a fantasy realm trying to follow the rules of medieval sword fighting choreography.

Serious question. Lord of the Rings isn't set in any historical era of Earth, and is entirely fantasy, so it confuses me why anyone would expect anything "realistic" out of it. To me the whole point of fantasy is an escape from reality, where anything is possible. I don't need to see a fantasy realm trying to follow the rules of medieval sword fighting choreography.

Ah, but Tolkien does tell us what kind of warfare the peoples of Middle-Earth engaged in. The shield wall was a favoured tactic. The use of both long swords and short stabbing swords (Dunedain Eket), spear, javelin/dart, long knife and bow are prevalent throughout. The best armour of any people in Middle-Earth is the matchless mail of the Dwarves. This is basically Heroic Saga stuff, not Renaissance plate armour, jousting and/or Florentine street fencing.

The Rohirrim were not 'mediaeval', in our sense. The styles of the Bayeux Tapestry (made in England) fit them well enough, if one remembers that the kind of tennis-nets [the] soldiers seem to have on are only a clumsy conventional sign for chain-mail of small rings.
- JRR Tolkien

Well, if we nitpick about weapons and historical inaccuracies then... why the hell doesn’t anybody complain first about how in EVERY historical/medieval inspired movie all the women have perfectly shaved legs, armpits or any facial hair? :ph34r:

I'm not complaining. And I'm a one-time member of the Society for Creative Anachronisms, so if anyone's got a right to be anal on this matter, it's me! However I'm just so happy we are getting a live action Hobbit movie. I agree that the dwarves look a little 'Klingon' but I think we have to wait until we see them in context. It might be because we are conditioned to now see a certain type of makeup associated with Trek's low budget faux-aliens. If someone would have told me a couple of years agot that the top spy on Spooks (Richard Armitage) could be a the stately, yet greedy Thorin, I would have laughed at them. Him, a dwarf? Now I see it, I think it's brilliant casting. The art depatment should have made him look a bit older though.

• 2 months later...

So, I've been thinking about this lately and decided to see what you guys think.

As much as I like Jackson's LOTR movies, one thing that always bothered me was the noise and cacophony that accompanied wearing the one ring. IIRC, in the books one's perception while wearing the ring was mostly dimmed, shadowy sight, and other senses heightened.

And so that leads me to where this could go wrong in The Hobbit. How the hell is the audience expected to sit through the Bilbo and Smaug scene with all that noise, bass rumble, and visual windiness going on? I mean, they haveto tone that down or else it will just look like sh!t, you know?

Maybe it had to do with Saurons (spelling) gathering strength and influence on the one ring by the time the Rings trilogy started. Maybe he was to weak to really effect the ring in the Hobbits time period?

Chris

Maybe it had to do with Saurons (spelling) gathering strength and influence on the one ring by the time the Rings trilogy started. Maybe he was to weak to really effect the ring in the Hobbits time period?

Chris

I think that is what they are going to try to explain (outside of the film) to cover any discrepancy. However, I think that they dug themselves into a hole with this one. I mean, it was pretty retarded the first time around.

• 1 month later...

I think that is what they are going to try to explain (outside of the film) to cover any discrepancy. However, I think that they dug themselves into a hole with this one. I mean, it was pretty retarded the first time around.

They are going to do just what has been done before, tone it down with no explenation - and most people will never notice (or care) about the difference. Same trick is used constantly in the movies, check out any "battle" scene on a bridge - at first the alerts are sounding and lights flashing, but after a little bit they stop - even if in reality they would still be going.

They are going to do just what has been done before, tone it down with no explenation - and most people will never notice (or care) about the difference. Same trick is used constantly in the movies, check out any "battle" scene on a bridge - at first the alerts are sounding and lights flashing, but after a little bit they stop - even if in reality they would still be going.

and honestly if you think about it its better left up to the individual instead of an explanation in the film