Considering you 1) compared LotR books to The Hobbit movie, which are two completely mediums and 2) compared the LotR books to The Hobbit which, while sharing characters and settings, are different stories with different audiences your response about neither having women makes no sense. Drawing comparisons between a second series of books (which I also found boring to read) and a Movie based on a book that isn't even part of LotR and is made by a Film Maker who is known for blowing stories up to ridiculous proportions (King Kong should NEVER be three hours) your original comparison is out of context.

Yeah, there aren't many women in the books. There doesn't always have to be women in every story though.

You complain that I'm mixing books and movies about the same topic and then bring King Kong into it? I think agreeing to disagree is best.

You complain that I'm mixing books and movies about the same topic and then bring King Kong into it? I think agreeing to disagree is best.

King Kong is another long, boring Peter Jackson film. Just like The Hobbit film.

Movies aren't only about spectacle (albeit all of the movies recently mentioned in this topic have that) nor about quickly shuttling the plot from A to B to C as efficiently as possible.

Sure, your mileage on PJ's additions will vary pending your individual tastes, but I liked the time spent developing and adding depth to the characters and places, and on building tension.

Yes, I thoroughly enjoy my extended editions sets of the LotR triology (movie night weekend becomes movie week).

Admittedly I haven't seen the Hobbit (waiting for the DVD*), and its been years since I read the Hobbit or the LotR trilogy, but one thing that cannot be forgotten about the books (especially LotR) is that they are mostly about the journey itself, not the destination.

* I work nights, and have 3 kids. Never-mind the dearth of movie theatres, their cost, and the last train Cinderella effect.

A 2 1/2 hour battle?

Uh.. if they're smart. Who wouldn't want to see that? haha.

I remember the AVP movie. That would have been fantastic if nobody spoke.

But yeah, They will do the death of smaugh for the first 30 min. They have to kill the necromancer in the south of the forest, that's a good 30 min, and then the battle.

Uh.. if they're smart. Who wouldn't want to see that? haha.

I remember the AVP movie. That would have been fantastic if nobody spoke.

But yeah, They will do the death of smaugh for the first 30 min. They have to kill the necromancer in the south of the forest, that's a good 30 min, and then the battle.

And after the battle I bet there's some sort of long epilogue, maybe in the Shire with a young Frodo running around and Bilbo burying his gold around the place.

I'm seriously wanting a time machine right now. 6 months is too long!

I'm wondering how long it'll take to open over here. Hopefully not much longer than stateside.

And after the battle I bet there's some sort of long epilogue, maybe in the Shire with a young Frodo running around and Bilbo burying his gold around the place.

Yeah, I'm sure we'll get a half-hour of five different endings that never appeared in the book.

Disturbing LACK of Smaug in that teaser... My fear would be they'll drag it out so Bilbo falling down the treasure isn't until the very end. Battle of Five Armies probably won't be 2 hours long, unfortunately and still dreading the appearance of Dain with a big mohawk and William Wallace blue face paint.

• 3 months later...

Can't wait! Also looking forward to the extended BluRay of the first movie coming soon. Haven't seen it since the theater as they won't get me double dipping for one of these movies again!

Chris

Anybody else get goosebumps from Benedict Cumberbatch's Smaug voice?

Cumberbatch's voice does that to a lot of people. Which is why people love hearing it. (Dammit, hurry up with Sherlock S3!!!!!)

Awesome. Don't forget this isn't just the Hobbit book but the Hobbit book + the Simarellian references and the Appendix stuff. I am sure the third film will be the bridge to the beginning of Fellowship.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...