Hopefully they are simply not wearing their beards for that pic.

I was about to say, they don't look has hairy as I imagined....Gimli had a beard that covered everything but his eyes almost, haha!

Looking great, can't wait.

Though I do hope Peter Jackson lays off the wilhelm scream this time around. Nothing jerks me right out of a movie in quite the same way that does.

Its funny isn't it. To filmmakers it is probably the biggest "in joke" that they have, but I think that so many in the general public are aware of it now, that it does have the effect you describe of taking one out of the film.

And for those who want to know what the hell we are talking about...

I was about to say, they don't look has hairy as I imagined....Gimli had a beard that covered everything but his eyes almost, haha!

We're only on 7 of the 13 dwarves, and Thorin is still missing so just wait.

Ye lads want facial hair, I'll giv ya some facial hair in today's roundup: Bifur, Bofur & Bombur

the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-20110713111341600-000.jpg

If you can't see it, here's a source: http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/07/13/46046-hot-dwarves-peter-jackson-strikes-back-with-bombur/

That's better....I was starting to thing those first two dwarves could use a little weight around the middle as well...short, fat, bearded creatures (even the women, haha!).

Its funny isn't it. To filmmakers it is probably the biggest "in joke" that they have, but I think that so many in the general public are aware of it now, that it does have the effect you describe of taking one out of the film.

And for those who want to know what the hell we are talking about...

Yeah--now that everyone's in-on-the-joke, it's not quite as funny. Still neat to hear it in movies and be able to pick it out, go: oh yeah, I know what that is. <_<

Oddly enough, I've never seen the movie it's originally from. I forget the title, but IIRC it was a western [John Wayne?] from the 40's or 50's. The source of poor Lt. Wilhelm's distress is his being attacked and killed by a crocodile during a river crossing scene, or something to that effect. *cringe* Ewww!

Edited by reddsun1

That's better....I was starting to thing those first two dwarves could use a little weight around the middle as well...short, fat, bearded creatures (even the women, haha!).

Bifur, Bofur and Bombur I believe were Broadbeam Dwarves, whose people originally settled in Beleriand during the 1st Age. Its likely their home city was Belegost.

Yeah--now that everyone's in-on-the-joke, it's not quite as funny. Still neat to hear it in movies and be able to pick it out, go: oh yeah, I know what that is. <_<

Oddly enough, I've never seen the movie it's originally from. I forget the title, but IIRC it was a western [John Wayne?] from the 40's or 50's. The source of poor Lt. Wilhelm's distress is his being attacked and killed by a crocodile during a river crossing scene, or something to that effect. *cringe* Ewww!

First use of the Wilhelm scream; 1951's Distant Drums:

The name comes from 1953's The Charge at Feather River:

I've always been partial to this painting of Thorin (by Angelo Montanini). I can only assume that they have Thorin as he was at Azanulbizar (with Orcrist) since he most certainly was not that young.

DwarfNoble01.jpg

Why does Santa have an ax?

:p

-b.

Most of them look pretty cool, if a little more stylised that I imagined. However, Thorin does look a little young in my opinion. His 'luxuriant beard' is anything but. Still Richard Armitage is a great actor and I know he will bring the steely determination on that was Thorin's prime characteristic.

Mmh. I don't know why I thought they'd look a bit more 'dirty' if you understand what I mean. But I have plenty of confidence in that they'll look and sound the the part once on screen.

Can't wait for this trailer :D

I too thought Gowron. :)

Me too! Good thing I read the previous few posts before blinding posting. Yeah, not sure if I like the manicured beards here. But I've said this before....too young looking, too lean, and to clean. Skinny hobbits with shoes. Maybe they'll look better on screen.

Edited by peter

Its gotta be Thorin at Nanduhirion, unless PJ is basically throwing the entire backstory out of the window. Since Azog is in it, the opening probably IS the conclusion of the War of the Orcs and Dwarves. Thorin Oakenshield would be 53 in the battle (quite young for one of the Khazad to go off to war). Still not as young as Dain Ironfoot who beheaded Azog at the tender age of 32 at the end of the battle.

Hmm... Fili & Kili don't look enough alike as brothers. Would have preferred if the "Chibi Aragorn" looked like the other. Most of the rest are ok.

Is it just me, or does the one on the right look a lot like Seth Green?

God, as much as that would pull me out of the movie I almost wish it was Seth Green.

He's certainly got the right stature for the part. :lol:

God, as much as that would pull me out of the movie I almost wish it was Seth Green.

He's certainly got the right stature for the part. :lol:

Kili: It is no hassle...

Gandalf: Sh!

Kili: But...

Kili: I am.

Kili: All I am say...

Kili: They are going to get a...

Kili: I am...

Kili: I am just...

Kili: Would...

Gandalf: Sh!... Knock-knock.

Kili: Who is there?

Kili: But...

Gandalf: Let me tell you a little tale about a man named Sh! Sh! even before you start. That was a pre-emptive "sh!" Now, I have a whole bag of "sh!" with your name on it.

:lol:

Edited by Rabidweezil