LIVE ACTION ROBOTECH (WB gets the rights)

UN Spacy

Oh to at least address the actual topic at hand. News of the Robotech screen writer reached a few Japanese news web sites, and some people took it as there would be a live action Macross movie made. They just didn't really understand what the article was saying since it also mentioned Southern Cross and Mospeada but most were like I barley remember Macross. So anyways I had to set them straight. I did find it funny that article tries to indicate the an OVA was made Shadow Chronicles and that sales were brisk.

Y'know, I was wondering if the Japanese boards were discussing the RT live action movie news.

Oh to at least address the actual topic at hand. News of the Robotech screen writer reached a few Japanese news web sites, and some people took it as there would be a live action Macross movie made. They just didn't really understand what the article was saying since it also mentioned Southern Cross and Mospeada but most were like I barley remember Macross. So anyways I had to set them straight. I did find it funny that article tries to indicate the an OVA was made Shadow Chronicles and that sales were brisk.

Y'know, I was wondering if the Japanese boards were discussing the RT live action movie news.

i guess japan is interested when one of their products are being re-made into hollywood movies. case in point: japanese newspapers were the ones who scooped the promo pics for the upcoming DBZ flick.

i guess japan is interested when one of their products are being re-made into hollywood movies. case in point: japanese newspapers were the ones who scooped the promo pics for the upcoming DBZ flick.

The problem is that they seem to take it as a sign of international standing, instead of the wailing and gnashing of teeth that SHOULD ensue.

Case in point: I think Japan was one of the few countries where the American Godzilla did repsectable box office...

The problem is that they seem to take it as a sign of international standing, instead of the wailing and gnashing of teeth that SHOULD ensue.

Case in point: I think Japan was one of the few countries where the American Godzilla did repsectable box office...

yikes, really? it did well there? ugh.

anyway, if indeed japan is feeling some measure of pride from having their movies done by hollywood, i guess i could understand where they're comin from, since i myself live outside of america. maybe it's pride, maybe it's curiosity, but to actually see something that your country came up with, and to have it made by hollywood and shown around the world, hey i'd at least be curious enough to watch it. and later on, either love it or heckle the death out of it.

my point being... do the japanese really have to wail about it? maybe wailing about it is not even worth their time. for all we know, maybe after watching the movie, people in japan just laughed about godzilla, muttering all the while, "silly americans. what will they come up with next?" :p

I apologise for drifting off topic there. As i said, i wasnt asking why people hated the show, I was asking why people hated those who liked it.

To go back on topic; Are there any successful live anime adaptions? At all?

ever?

To go back on topic; Are there any successful live anime adaptions? At all?

ever?

If its made by Japanese, then yes, e.g.

- Nodame Cantabile (well, its basically manga adaptation..)

- Cutie Honey live action (I think so, since I never watch it...)

If its made by Hollywood, no.

Oh that Matthew Broderick. That really makes me wonder how Speed Racer will do there tho...

On a much more important note, that makes me wonder which city has been reduced to rubble more in cinema: New York, or Tokyo? Actually, in DYRL didn't Hikaru and Misa visit the rubble of both?

my point being... do the japanese really have to wail about it? maybe wailing about it is not even worth their time. for all we know, maybe after watching the movie, people in japan just laughed about godzilla, muttering all the while, "silly americans. what will they come up with next?" :p

I think it's the nature of being otaku, more than anything. But, at the end of the day a Robotech movie won't really affect the existence of Macross in Japan, at all. I'm sure there will still be a Frontier OVA, and probably another series or OVA of some kind for the 30th anniversary. For us though... meh...

I think I'd pay multiple times, however, to see a Bollywood Robotech... I can see all the Valkyries dancing now...

On a much more important note, that makes me wonder which city has been reduced to rubble more in cinema: New York, or Tokyo? Actually, in DYRL didn't Hikaru and Misa visit the rubble of both?

aside from Macross DYRL where almost the entire planet looks the same (you gotta give the zentraedi for their principle of Equality in Annhilation), i would tend to give my vote to Tokyo as worse off, seeing as it's the home of Godzilla and all his ilk, while all new york has going for it is the cloverfield monster and all his icky parts. :D

and let's face it, if the statue of liberty is still partiall standing (as is the case in ALL films involving new york), it can't be that bad, can it? ;)

I think I'd pay multiple times, however, to see a Bollywood Robotech... I can see all the Valkyries dancing now...

my friend, you need look no further than macross 7. that series was just a sitar away from being bollywood. peace! :p

On a slightly divergent note from all the legal debate...

People keep mentioning the F-22 as the likely new Veritech fighter. Would it not be more likely for them to use the F-35 JSF? The 22 has already seen its share of screen time, Starscream being an obvious example, and it's also pretty much a US Air Force symbol. For a movie where it's "United Earth" Government vs. Alien Invaders, I would think they'd try to base their fighter jets on a design in more widespread use.

Then again, it's just as likely they'd make up something entirely new and space-age-y to be the new Veritech and forego any attempts at similarity to real-world fighters, sort of like the Alpha and Beta VFs (though in that case, I sincerely hope they come up with something that looks less blocky).

And again I'll reiterate... if Robotech can finally diverge off into its own direction as a franchise, and sever its links to Macross, it would be a win-win for both sides of the discussion. I for one would love to be in a situation where I love both the current Macross stuff coming out and the "new" Robotech. Instead of knee-jerk reactions to the possibility of a live-action RT movie being a repeat/dead-horse-beating of past legal and intellectual property issues, I would say take the high road and encourage those in charge of the upcoming movie to branch out and come up with their own entirely different (but equally awesome) product, and put all this stuff behind us.

People keep mentioning the F-22 as the likely new Veritech fighter. Would it not be more likely for them to use the F-35 JSF? The 22 has already seen its share of screen time, Starscream being an obvious example, and it's also pretty much a US Air Force symbol. For a movie where it's "United Earth" Government vs. Alien Invaders, I would think they'd try to base their fighter jets on a design in more widespread use.

The F-35 shares a similar silhouette to the F-22, but it could be possible to use the F-35. But it would really depend on what direction the production staff is going to take.

Then again, it's just as likely they'd make up something entirely new and space-age-y to be the new Veritech and forego any attempts at similarity to real-world fighters, sort of like the Alpha and Beta VFs (though in that case, I sincerely hope they come up with something that looks less blocky).

Very true. But again, no screenplay, no director...no idea on what they're planning on doing.

I don't see the F-35 being adopted as a Veritech. Even in Robotech all their transformable flying mecha have been twin-engine craft. I think? Besides the F-22 is more well known now.

...and the F-35 is the most uncool fighter design ever.

Just be glad that it's JSF competitor was not the one chosen for adoption: That Flying Guppy was a visual assault to the senses, a total aesthetic abomination; compared to that the F-35 is beautiful beyond description.

I tend to think that as far as a theatrical Veritech, it will more than likely be an amalgamation of current twin jet designs with a heavy dose of "aren't I high tech cool" nonsensical design shapes and bits to make it look futuristic, yet recognizable as a jet fighter.

And again I'll reiterate... if Robotech can finally diverge off into its own direction as a franchise, and sever its links to Macross, it would be a win-win for both sides of the discussion. I for one would love to be in a situation where I love both the current Macross stuff coming out and the "new" Robotech. Instead of knee-jerk reactions to the possibility of a live-action RT movie being a repeat/dead-horse-beating of past legal and intellectual property issues, I would say take the high road and encourage those in charge of the upcoming movie to branch out and come up with their own entirely different (but equally awesome) product, and put all this stuff behind us.

HAH! Not bloody likely! Don't be surprised if they just rip off Kawamori's VF-0 design, since it has [relatively] low exposure to domestic audiences. Its overall design is bears enough similarity to the classic VF's, but it also has "stealthy" design cues that make it look more futuristic, yet different from contemporary real-world fighter designs. Hell, copying other peoples' work and re-hashing it for profit has always worked for Hollywood before; why in the world would anyone expect them to take the high road now?

I would think that i'd be rational that the Veritech would be based off a real-world fighter, no different than the original VF-1 was based off the F-14. What I'm more concerned about are the destroids. Are those going to be generic, ripoffs, or just forgoten altogether. Then there's the topic of the SDF-1. I forget what the big thread said, but I think that they can't make a new production based off the original series designs. How's that going to change?

I have mixed feelings about using the YF-23 as inspiration: I love the plane; IMHO, it was the rightful winner of the competition and should be the symbol of the Air Force, should be the plane featured in Hollywood's blockbusters, and most certainly wins the beauty contest between itself and the 22, which is a fugly pregnant, diamond-shaped F-15 ripoff. In short, I've never been partial to the F-22, and was mollified when it won against the YF-23, which was, by nearly all accounts I've read, the superior performer. So, on one hand, I'd be pleased to see it in the limelight; on the other, I'm concerned by the bastardization that would undoubtedly be visited upon it by Hollywood's special effects people, and even moreso by the thought of Toynami's subpar toys driving it even further into obscurity and shame.

The YF-23 was an achievment in engineering; it was revolutionary and unconventional, and our AF officials didn't like that so they sided with the more conventional, less stealthy, ugly F-22, despite the fact that stealth and speed were the dominant pre-requisites in the competition. By most accounts, the 23 was faster, had greater range, and was stealthy in both IR and radar. The YF-22 was radar stealthy, but not IR due to its vectored thrust. As the conflicts over the last 15 years have demonstrated, stealth is a much greater strategic factor in modern warfare than the ability to do a "serpent manuever", which is so much fighter jockey, airshow fodder with little relevance to actual modern combat. Dogfighting is a combat rarity today because we destroy the enemy's ability to generate airpower before they can get a plane in the air, and if the enemy succeeds in such an endeavour, our fighters, due to the technologies employed, enjoy first look- first kill capability.

Ok, rant over. Hope the Robotech production folks leave the YF-23 alone and just design their own Veritech creation. YF-23, RIP! You are <snif,snif> remembered.

Edited by M'Kyuun

You guys seem to think stuff CAN'T BE DONE. You DON'T KNOW AS YOU AREN'T MAKING THE MOVIE. They could be talking WITH the companies to get rights, YOU JUST DON'T KNOW SO STFU UNTIL WE

Exactly. This ain't Carl Macek and Harmony Gold trying to get some rights; this is a major Hollywood flick. Even Robotech.com and Tommy Yune can't touch it (They didn't even know about the movie til the public did! lol)

But then again, there was that whole Transformers "rights" thing as well. But they seemed like they didn't care enough to stay true to the original visuals... so they just went their own way. They were more concerned with paying Megan Fox millions to bend over (which, was probably the best part of the movie) than to to buy some VW licenses or something. Either that, or the classic VW wasn't cool enough for Micheal Bay and his dumb shaky cameras. (who really knows? Maybe the studios got a better deal with that other car company...) The point is, they can stay true to the original, they just want to do what they want...

Like I said, as long as Micheal Bay has nothing to do with Robotech, I'll watch it.

BTW, who the heck is Tommy Tune anyways? I just know he's some Korean guy with hair who wrote a bunch of average Robotech comic books. Why does that guy feel the need to advertise his name, as if he's Captain Gloval or banged Lynn Minmay or something??

I'm sick of that guy and his hair. In fact, I'm sick of Micheal Bay's hair, too.

Edited by fifbeat

I'm always in the market for cool new variable fighter toys. I hope they redesign the Alpha-Beta to a more sleek rendition. I'd love to have a combo of that if they aim at the mature collector and not just the kiddy market (Heck! I'd love to be hired to design it myself!). But if their idea of a VF is Starscream, they can shove it.

You guys seem to think stuff CAN'T BE DONE. You DON'T KNOW AS YOU AREN'T MAKING THE MOVIE. They could be talking WITH the companies to get rights, YOU JUST DON'T KNOW SO STFU UNTIL WE KNOW SOMETHING. <_<

Again Misa this is a internet nerd fanboard - all we do is talk about what's going on like we're the ones in charge. That's the bulk of the fun of being here. ^_^

You guys seem to think stuff CAN'T BE DONE. You DON'T KNOW AS YOU AREN'T MAKING THE MOVIE. They could be talking WITH the companies to get rights, YOU JUST DON'T KNOW SO STFU UNTIL WE KNOW SOMETHING. <_<

I'll rephrase it just for you. :)

They can't, and I hope Big West and Studio Nue tell them to get stuffed. :D

They can't, and I hope Big West and Studio Nue tell them to get stuffed

Money talks. Especially to Asians. =)

BTW, how were they able to use the VF designs in the U.S. Robotech games? (Battlecry, etc.)

You act like people can't change their minds, DUKEY. It's happened before so be warned.

It's happened before? Please explain.

Money talks. Especially to Asians. =)

BTW, how were they able to use the VF designs in the U.S. Robotech games? (Battlecry, etc.)

It's happened before? Please explain.

Guess you don't know business ethics in Japan, most companies would rather loose out on a ton of money than lose face or go back on a decision that has been made no matter how long ago it was made. Trust me I know, it bugs the hell out of me when I have to deal with it.

I'm sure games just fall under merchadise and not actual production development as straight to dvd or a feature film release. Just a guess but that all HG and BW talk between fan has ever been just a series of guesses.

Still anything is possible, just don't hold your breath or bet the farm.

Edited by Save