LIVE ACTION ROBOTECH (WB gets the rights)

UN Spacy

perhaps a mish/mash of Macross & Mospeada, but I seriously doubt they'd do anything but some kind of origins story.

That's what I'm thinking, but I wouldn't rule out a primarily MOSPEADA based movie, with the "Macross" bits told through backstory exposition.

Actually, I wouldn't rule out a movie using the bare bones Southern Cross story.

If they are indeed going to try and circumvent the whole Macross legal issue, they'll have to do something, while still making it a franchise that has at least a passing semblance to the Robotech story with room to milk it in sequels.

• 3 weeks later...

i'd still love a live action dyrl either slapped as robotech or released separately named macross though another company/country. ok runs and hides.

• 7 months later...

My thoughts:

I agree I would love to see some cool toys that are just like the VF-1, maybe even modernised a little then if they can't make them look exactly like the old cartoon.

But if they can't use the vf-1 at least use the legioss/alpha and tread/beta fighter. Aaaaahh I am imaging myself going into a toy store now buying a perfect-transforming alpha fighter at a decent price. (but with the quality and attention to detail of an adult toy collector's toy) :p

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

..and yeah even if the movie sucked, but it resulted in alpha/beta fighter toys that didn't suck, that would be reason enough for me to be happy. Then when the movie comes out in japan, it sparks interest in mospeada again and then a new mospeada anime tv series is made. :D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

i'm just guessing here but i think the buzz from the fake macross trailer that was a youtube a while back, might have helped in getting this going.

it will probably suck so i will end up downloading it and watch it for free as i do with everything else.

hollywood gets none of my money!

Spidey as Rick Hunter?

Check out the new SDF-1! :ph34r:

That's actually kinda cool. I remember seeing clips of that robot from the japanese 1978 TV show. Yes, spidey actually had a giant robot! =)

I think the clip is on youtube.com.

I'm all for a robotech movie. I just hope they keep it real.

We should all be lucky with have someone with star power and is probably a Robotech fanatic... this can be good!

Wow... this movie might actually do worse than Speed Racer. If nothing else comes of this I hope legalities get resolved as far as US rights to Macross.

While not Chinese, about 30 years too old, and not an actress, I had to agree with a friend's suggestion that Bjork could have been a good live action Minmay.

All I ask for is -

1. A decent story. It doesn't even have to be canon or faithful to the original series.

2. Some decent actors.

3. Not have that rolling herky jerky fast-forward MTV style camera work. Transformers made my eyes hurt.

4. Some cool looking mechs with well done action scenes. But I'm sure it'll be some kind of cheap-ass CG crap with ugly looking "Veritechs". :p

I'm still think this should not be made, Hollywood lack of imagination having to remake a remake of a film or a book or whatever and turning now to 80's cartoon are depressing and I don't want them to butcher Macross, even if it is Robotech, HG knows their most successful event is the Macross saga and will do everything possible to use this in their film

I don't want people to see my macross toys and say... 'oh, you liked that robotech movie, you're so lame'

It can't and won't be a Macross movie.

You probably said Transformers wouldn't be a Transformers movie either but it was :p If Robotech can at least pull off what Transformers did (or more), it will be good. Do you ever hope for anything? :lol:

I'm still think this should not be made, Hollywood lack of imagination having to remake a remake of a film or a book or whatever and turning now to 80's cartoon are depressing and I don't want them to butcher Macross, even if it is Robotech, HG knows their most successful event is the Macross saga and will do everything possible to use this in their film

I don't want people to see my macross toys and say... 'oh, you liked that robotech movie, you're so lame'

Maybe this will be like the first Hulk movie. It'll tank so bad that they'll have to make a MUCH BETTER one a few years later. :D Robotech can fail then Macross can come back!! :lol:

You probably said Transformers wouldn't be a Transformers movie either but it was :p If Robotech can at least pull off what Transformers did (or more), it will be good. Do you ever hope for anything? :lol:

I don't see the connection the transformers, but Big West and Studio Nue own the rights to the character and mecha designs of SDF Macross. Harmony Gold cannot legally produce a series or a movie using those designs. This was settled in Japanese court 5 years ago or so. It CAN'T be a Macross movie.

Wow... this movie might actually do worse than Speed Racer. If nothing else comes of this I hope legalities get resolved as far as US rights to Macross.

While not Chinese, about 30 years too old, and not an actress, I had to agree with a friend's suggestion that Bjork could have been a good live action Minmay.

FYI Bjork is an actress and won best actress award at Cannes Film Festival for her performance in Dancer In The Dark. She would be the perfect Minmay but she is 43 years old and Minmay was supposed to be what 16? That may be a stretch.

FYI Bjork is an actress and won best actress award at Cannes Film Festival for her performance in Dancer In The Dark. She would be the perfect Minmay but she is 43 years old and Minmay was supposed to be what 16? That may be a stretch.

Go figure... I didn't realize that. If it were 20-25 years ago Bjork would have been perfect...

But hey, the girl that played Ayane (also 16)  in the Dead or Alive movie was 32... granted it may have been the 7th worst movie ever made but... erm. I can't think of anything redeeming.

Truthfully, Minmay would be the easiest character to find. You know how many cute little asian chicks there are that can sing and dance (and act)? If you watch a lot of asian films (Japanese, korean, etc) there are a dime a dozen.

I think Tobey would make a great Rick Hunter (especially if they're going off the Robotech series). So, considering he's the head of this "robotech" idea, I'm happy.

You know, I'm surprised to see a lot of negative attitude towards this proposed movie. And mostly because they're going off "Robotech"... As much as I hated the Transformers movie, I'm glad it came out. Because you know it opened doors for "giant robot" movies.

So, if the Robotech movie does come out, you know, and I'm almost 60% sure, that Japan would make their own version of MACROSS. And those Japanese and Korean movies, if you watch them, a lot of that stuff is up to par with big Hollywood productions, as far as effects go... so it would, by no means, be low budget crap.

Edited by fifbeat

I don't see the connection the transformers, but Big West and Studio Nue own the rights to the character and mecha designs of SDF Macross. Harmony Gold cannot legally produce a series or a movie using those designs. This was settled in Japanese court 5 years ago or so. It CAN'T be a Macross movie.

I KNOW THAT. :) You're saying that a LITERAL Macross movie can't be made, that I understand (unless both companies get their fingers out of their asses and grow up). But if Robotech SUX, like some say it will (I'm still hopeful), then maybe a few years later someone can get it right.

That's what I'm saying. :D

I hope beyond hope that this is a good movie. It has great potential. If McGuire is a true fan he will want to see it done right. Kasdan is a good screenwriter and hopefully can make Protculture work. I think They could make the Macross Saga in 2 movies. Sarting the first movie from the beginning and ending when SDF-1 gets back to Earth. the Second can run from there to either the end of the final space battle. I think it will lose a lot durring the rebuilding story at the end of the Saga.

This movie could be a good cross of Top Gun and Independence Day. With not focusing on the special effect but keeping with the story and staying true to the animation Valk designs we could all be suprised. Then again I see what is going on with the G.I. Joe movie and I fear for the worst.

I hope beyond hope that this is a good movie. It has great potential. If McGuire is a true fan he will want to see it done right. Kasdan is a good screenwriter and hopefully can make Protculture work. I think They could make the Macross Saga in 2 movies. Sarting the first movie from the beginning and ending when SDF-1 gets back to Earth. the Second can run from there to either the end of the final space battle. I think it will lose a lot durring the rebuilding story at the end of the Saga.

This movie could be a good cross of Top Gun and Independence Day. With not focusing on the special effect but keeping with the story and staying true to the animation Valk designs we could all be suprised. Then again I see what is going on with the G.I. Joe movie and I fear for the worst.

Yea I hear you. I hold out hope too like I did for TF and it was worth it. :) I just hope this is as well, PROTOCULTURE MUST SUCCEED!!!!!

(Just please no Zor or Flower of Life) :p

Edited by MisaForever

First things first, I wanna see Lawrence Kasdan's script treatment of this bastard child. Should it be green-lighted with that script, then well, I hope you kids like your RT fans running amok around here.

Laurence Kasdan? What was the last good thing he wrote? Freakin Accidental Tourist? Does anyone even remember that Oscar winning snore fest? The guys involved in Raiders were all abducted during the wrap party and replaced by pod people! The real Harrison Ford would never wear an earring!

Dispite people wanting to see "their Robotech" in live action. The actual film guys are most likely going to revamp, rewrite, recreate the whole thing. They would be idiots if they didn't.

Dispite people wanting to see "their Robotech" in live action. The actual film guys are most likely going to revamp, rewrite, recreate the whole thing. They would be idiots if they didn't.

Yes, hence the "Transformers" analogy I used above. :)

Maybe there's still hope that "Rick Yamata" will see the light of day.

I asked this same question about the DBZ L/A movie in production...WHY? Why do we need a live action version of Robotech? It's a poor retelling of the original material anyway. We all obviously enjoy Macross, what's the point? We all know it will never be as good as the anime. If someone with the amount of passion as Peter Jackson has for the LOTR's novels was helming this project I might be a little more optimistic but at this point I really can't see the point in doing this.

I asked this same question about the DBZ L/A movie in production...WHY? Why do we need a live action version of Robotech? It's a poor retelling of the original material anyway. We all obviously enjoy Macross, what's the point? We all know it will never be as good as the anime. If someone with the amount of passion as Peter Jackson has for the LOTR's novels was helming this project I might be a little more optimistic but at this point I really can't see the point in doing this.

Because ROBOTECH would sell more tickets...

A lot of people who grew up on Robotech don't know squat about the original Macross. It's only the ones (like myself, and many others in this forum) who did their research to find out that Robotech was taken from the three shows. Back then, we didn't have the internet. We didn't have access to the original videos...

I seriously hope that if the movie is made it will kick butt and make all the bitter "Macross" fanboys (and believe, I'm one of them, but I still stay loyal to Carl Macek and Robotech) eat all their negative words.

Besides, just because, or IF they made a "MACROSS" movie, chances are, the % rate of it sucking would be the same of any Robotech movie sucking.

Lighten up. And be glad. Like I said, it's bound to open doors for more ideas.