LIVE ACTION ROBOTECH (WB gets the rights)

UN Spacy

Guess you don't know business ethics in Japan, most companies would rather loose out on a ton of money than lose face or go back on a decision that has been made no matter how long ago it was made. Trust me I know, it bugs the hell out of me when I have to deal with it.

Thanks for the correction. =) Maybe I've been dumped by too many asian girls for being too low budget...

I'm gonna lose face for them if they don't say yes to 10 million dollars. I know it would never happen. But I still believe that there's a price for everything.

Edited by fifbeat

Money talks. Especially to Asians. =)

BTW, how were they able to use the VF designs in the U.S. Robotech games? (Battlecry, etc.)

It's happened before? Please explain.

The games counted as merch, not new productions. A new movie counts as a new production, so it ain't gonna happen.

The games counted as merch, not new productions. A new movie counts as a new production, so it ain't gonna happen.

Aside from being a piss poor game, Battlecry seemed like it was HG's last hurrah with the Macross license. It was from 2002, so it was after Big West was awarded rights to the SDFM designs, but while litigation was still going on between Big West and Tatsunoko.

They were more concerned with paying Megan Fox millions to bend over (which, was probably the best part of the movie) than to to buy some VW licenses or something. Either that, or the classic VW wasn't cool enough for Micheal Bay and his dumb shaky cameras. (who really knows? Maybe the studios got a better deal with that other car company...) The point is, they can stay true to the original, they just want to do what they want...

The VW Audi Group have long publicized that they do not want to be associated with machines of war. The fact that we got a G1 VW Beetle character was down to different copyright laws to the ones we now have internationally. You cant really blame VW as they were born during the unsettled times before WWII and spent most of the war producing war machines. Even after the war they were a political toy of the British war effort.

A lot of German businesses don't like to remember or admit their War time activities. But ill bet a lot more motor co's want to be involved this time round.

Edited by big F

Money talks. Especially to Asians. =)

That isn't true, though for a number of people it is. Nintendo is given respect from people who don't even like them when, offered whatever it took to have them absorbed into Microsoft, they just laughted in their faces.

I can understand BW hardballin' on HG but if the WB comes a knockin'; I think they might have to listen. Also, didn't BW try to produce their own live action version?

Started pre-production, then dumped it. Maybe Egan knows the real answer why, but I always assumed they realized what a bad idea it would be. :)

Macross - Final Outpost: Earth

Edited by Duke Togo

Yea, but that was 12 years ago, a lot of things can change. HAVE HOPE MAN :p:)

Name a single anime to live action film that even approached being decent. Why would anyone want this to be made?

Edited by Duke Togo

Name a single anime to live action film that even approached being decent. Why would anyone want this to be made?

So you didn't like Speed Racer either. Man, do you enjoy anything in life? :rolleyes::lol: Movies are meant to be enjoyable, not to be scientifically dissected and SERIOUS.

So you didn't like Speed Racer either. Man, do you enjoy anything in life? :rolleyes::lol: Movies are meant to be enjoyable, not to be scientifically dissected and SERIOUS.

I generally don't enjoy crap. :)

Guest sh002

the story may or may not end up as crap (typical for most remakes these days but we shall see if lawrence kasden ends up writing it) and the designs might end up being questionable (imagine movie starscream as a valkyrie) but i'm sure some of the action scenes might be cool. just saw star wars episode 3 again the other day and some space battle scenes like the opening for episode 3 would be awesome with loads of explosions, shooting, zentraedi ships, battlepods, valkyries, powered armors, and the sdf-1.

actually this movie would have potential if done right. there could be a good love story so that the audience can actually care about the characters (a reason to have actors in a movie) and then also be entertained by all the robots, mechs, and action.

Name me a single good anime to live action adaptation. B))

fotns01.jpg

fotns02.jpg

lol! j/k Hey, just because there hasn't been a good live action anime yet, doesn't mean it can't be done. Why give up?

Actually, this one is supposed to be really good:

deathnote.jpg

and of course...

golgo13.jpg

Edited by fifbeat

The Matrix!!!

(huh? what... animatrix came after the matrix? .... oh...)

speed racer was ok for me, i enjoyed it. but not having watched the original series in full, i can't argue whether it's a good or a bad adaptation.

death note live action is, of course, a good interpretation. but that's not a hollywood production, so that doesn't really help in this discussion. and in fact, i loved the live action version of Initial D (chinese production) and i thought it was even better than the anime. but, again, it isn't holllywood so i can't consider it for this discussion.

hmmm.... i can't think of any.

star wars 3?? god forbid. in the event a movie does get made about SW1, i surely wouldn't like it to be george lucas-type eye-candy space warfare. it's good for star wars (which is more fantasy than sci fi, anyway), but those laser sound effects, laser fire smorgasboard and space flight movements would be super cheesy on a macross movie. i was thinking more along the line of battlestar galactica, or even starship troopers, style space warfare. gritty, slow and more use of heavy artillery than lasers.

now that i've though about it... what if the movie was done with the quality (writing/production/effects/acting) of BSG? if it can be done this way, i'd be all for it.

Edited by dreamweaver13

I think a Robotech movie could work if they got Shinji Aramaki to design the mecha (because Nue prolly wouldn't do it) and Itano to direct the fight choreography and direction. Of course that will never happen, because it would rock too much.

I don't know...

The live action version of Macross Plus wasn't too bad.

The visuals were great.

I could have done without them making Myung a pilot, and they shouldn't have turned away from the love triangle bit.

All in all...

If you had never seen the original anime, it was pretty good.

===

And now I will "Abort to Dodge!"

:ph34r:

Edited by daeudi

I don't know...

The visuals were great.

I could have done without them making Myung a pilot, and they shouldn't have turned away from the love triangle bit.

All in all...

===

Ouch...

I don't know...

The visuals were great.

All in all...

===

Why don't you just say the movie name???

Warner Bros. senior v.p. of global toys and themed entertainment Kelly Gilmore mentioned Robotech as part of their long term licensee agenda at the New York Licensing Expo.

And Justice Leage is still in production hell. Studios can pick up rights to a production and just sit on it for years until the license expires and is put back on the market. Things can sit in production hell for quite some time.

I don't know...

The visuals were great.

All in all...

===

dang, bullseye. and the radar didn't even see that coming... ;)