LIVE ACTION ROBOTECH (WB gets the rights)

UN Spacy

500x341.aspx.jpeg

"From left to right, Melanie MacQueen (Lisa Hayes), Tony Oliver (Rick Hunter) and Reba West (Lynn Minmei.) Is it just me or do they all kinda look like their respective characters, only like, chubby and ugly? Do you even remember that show? Anyway, the one that played Minmei is sorta cougar-ific. Just sayin’."

Christ, that is a *nasty* comment. "Chubby and ugly"???? The person who wrote that comment must look really good. Is it the fact that they dared to work on Robotech that they get crapped on like that????

Taksraven

No. Go away.

:angry: They should have dumped you in Spiderman 2 for Jake Gyllenhall!!!

Bad jokes aside, I wonder if anyone involved in the production (or TM himself) really is cruising MW... it's hard not to find this place on a simple googling of Macross... hmmmm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convention...e-expo/robotech

...Yune ended his presentation with some information about the proposed live-action Robotech movie. He confirmed that Warner Brothers is planning it, and that Tobey Maguire is involved. The script is beng written by Lawrence Kasdan, whose credits include Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Empire Strikes Back, and The Bodyguard. The movie is planned as a re-imagining of the Robotech universe, and will take place in the future. ...

Here's the official byline from the AX2008 panel. This should answer some questions about what they plan on doing.

what, re-making the VeritechFightah-1 huh? Well it should be good for a laugh at least...

movie starscream is starting to look good. hyuk hyuk. :D

ok with this news about that screenwriter, my casting prediction shifts to Harrison Ford as Roy Focker, and Shia as Rick Hunter. :p

movie starscream is starting to look good. hyuk hyuk. :D

ok with this news about that screenwriter, my casting prediction shifts to Harrison Ford as Roy Focker, and Shia as Rick Hunter. :p

Considering H. Ford's age, I would rather see him as Captain Global ....

darn it, why did you have to take my Ford casting call seriously? that takes the fun out of it. :p

face it, it can't be anyone else other than Ian McKellen. Imagine this in his Magneto voice: "Face the greatest sight in the history of mankind.... transformation!" ;)

I won't expect anything in this movie to be profound. Just like Macross was brought to the states and sanitized and lobotomized for the American public as Robotech, the movie will likely do the same. It will just be done in a shorter period of time and will further summarize if not oversimplify the underlying themes of the original. Kinda like the Transformers movie. It's going to make its money by making generous use of special effects while ignoring elements and themes that made the original story so engaging.

LOL what made you think transformers had any profound underlying plot in the first place? Transformers always had a very miniscule plot... always has and always will. Its just a series to sell toys really but I don't mind that because I don't watch transformers for the plot. I see it for the action and special effects more than anything else.

I really couldn't care less about a good underlying plot line for this movie. All I care about is that if it does go through with production, that it is accurate to the original macross and has good special effects and action. Unfortunately though I don't think thats going to happen with this movie.

Well it legally can't be "accurate to the original Macross" and has already been stated to be a "re-imagining" so it looks like you're pretty much stuck hoping for shiny special effects. If this thing actually gets made that's pretty much a given.

Guest sh002

if it doesn't beat transformers in box office gross i hope it at least beats them in movie robot designs.

I will kill you if your actually being serious this time. :lol:

c'mon, how could you NOT like robot jox?? it's the bee's knees!! :lol::lol:

and you can't kill me, unless you're the Ultimate Killing Machine. Part Man Part Metal! Bwahahaha!!!

Robot_jox.jpg

ok gotta stop now... if i go on, i'd kill me. hehe. :p

Edited by dreamweaver13

I keep forgetting to buy that damn movie! (robot jox). Not sure if it was posted anywhere else, but apparently at the recent AX, someone asked Bandai Ent about licening Macross Frontier. The studio rep there said one of the obsticles was HG still claiming rights over the Macross name in the U.S., so I doubt Big West will be playing nice with them over the robotech movie.

I keep forgetting to buy that damn movie! (robot jox). Not sure if it was posted anywhere else, but apparently at the recent AX, someone asked Bandai Ent about licening Macross Frontier. The studio rep there said one of the obsticles was HG still claiming rights over the Macross name in the U.S., so I doubt Big West will be playing nice with them over the robotech movie.

If they do, I'll be highly disappointed.

Hell, if they set up a Big West Legal Fund to help demolish HG, I'd contribute.

Well, if we're lucky, the whole live action movie thing will fall through, HG will finally go bankrupt, Bandai will swoop in and swallow them up, and things can go back to business as usual for Macross fans. Robotech fans won't care, since they're so used to crappy fanfiction by now anyway :)

For the time it was made, it was pure AWESOME. I read the book twice. :D

i have the book, and i've read it 4 times i think. and it's by joe haldeman, IIRC, so that alone makes it worth reading.

the story and concept is interesting enough. it's the production value and the mecha that bothered me. but it was, i guess, good enough for its time. but it won't stop me from referring to it over and over again when i need a comparison to today's CGI-laden robot effects.

that being said, you can't beat the robot jox!! achilles will pwn rick hunter's ass. :p

If they do, I'll be highly disappointed.

Hell, if they set up a Big West Legal Fund to help demolish HG, I'd contribute.

yes, me too!!

here that, Big West? put up that legal fund now!! :)

or how about this: "for every purchase of original macross merchandise, 10 percent will be given to the Big West CRUSH HG legal fund. buy now!"

yes, me too!!

here that, Big West? put up that legal fund now!! :)

or how about this: "for every purchase of original macross merchandise, 10 percent will be given to the Big West CRUSH HG legal fund. buy now!"

Your brain thinking good... must.. crush... HG. hear hear!!!

Well, if we're lucky, the whole live action movie thing will fall through, HG will finally go bankrupt, Bandai will swoop in and swallow them up, and things can go back to business as usual for Macross fans. Robotech fans won't care, since they're so used to crappy fanfiction by now anyway :)

unfortunately, HG won't go bankrupt if the movie flops. they got paid anyway. it'll be WB that will take the damage.

but then again, if WB makes a movie similar to macross, Big West sues, WB will counter-sue HG for misrepresenting that it had the rights to macross , then that could work. :p

i have the book, and i've read it 4 times i think. and it's by joe haldeman, IIRC, so that alone makes it worth reading.

the story and concept is interesting enough. it's the production value and the mecha that bothered me. but it was, i guess, good enough for its time. but it won't stop me from referring to it over and over again when i need a comparison to today's CGI-laden robot effects.

that being said, you can't beat the robot jox!! achilles will pwn rick hunter's ass. :p

LOL I love Alexander's Russian accent... "ACCHIIIILLLLLLESS!!!"