LIVE ACTION ROBOTECH (WB gets the rights)

UN Spacy

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convention...e-expo/robotech

Yune ended his presentation with some information about the proposed live-action Robotech movie. He confirmed that Warner Brothers is planning it, and that Tobey Maguire is involved. The script is beng written by Lawrence Kasdan, whose credits include Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Empire Strikes Back, and The Bodyguard. The movie is planned as a re-imagining of the Robotech universe, and will take place in the future.

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but for those who are thinking that Big West is some sort of messiah or knight in shining armor for our woes as Macross fans outside of Japan, you should really rethink your position. What do you know about the company? What do you know about the people who run it and are employed by it? What do you know about the company's financial situation and influence? (Note that Macross Frontier is being sponsored by Bandai since Big West can't seem to handle it by itself). Ditto with Harmony Gold. By all indicators, it is Big West that has become the speed bump to what we want whether it be merchandice or media like Macross Frontier.

So will this movie go with a cartoon CG look (ie speed racer) or a serious live action look (ie battlestar galactica)?

Doesn't look like much new information is coming out. Not a surprise they are reimagining the show. I think the tv series dragged on too long. Just give us three wars like the star wars trilogy.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convention...e-expo/robotech

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but for those who are thinking that Big West is some sort of messiah or knight in shining armor for our woes as Macross fans outside of Japan, you should really rethink your position. What do you know about the company? What do you know about the people who run it and are employed by it? What do you know about the company's financial situation and influence? (Note that Macross Frontier is being sponsored by Bandai since Big West can't seem to handle it by itself). Ditto with Harmony Gold. By all indicators, it is Big West that has become the speed bump to what we want whether it be merchandice or media like Macross Frontier.

I don't know about knights or messiahs, but what about the fact that they employ Kawamori and the talent that is the creative force behind Macross? The people that actually have bled what we, as fans clamored over. Not people who sit around and expect a piece of the pie or pump out muck like Shadow Chronicles. How has Big West been the speed bump to bringing people Macross Frontier when it's them that sold the license to Bandai? As far as we know Big West has settled for the Japan market and is still able to produce better toys and and better shows. What has HG done with it's Robotech license and it's distribution rights for the rest of the entire world? As I said over and over, I loved Robotech as a kid and if they were able to match that level of excitement with the stuff they're coming out with now then I'll be behind them 100%. But the crap they expel towards their fans now is kinda just insulting. I'm glad Toynami found their place is the toy world as a distributors of Japanese produced toys. That seems to suit them better than being the designers.

The studio rep there said one of the obsticles was HG still claiming rights over the Macross name in the U.S., so I doubt Big West will be playing nice with them over the robotech movie.

Sorry, I have to say this......

TO HELL WITH HG!!!!

There, I've got that out of my system now.......

Edited by taksraven

I rather watch an entire season of SPACE GUNDAM V, than watch Transmorphers or any "film" made by Asylum, or whatever they want to call themselves. They should hire Uwe Boll, since he would be the perfect director for their style of movie making. :lol:

I heard the new Robotech movie will be based off this:

Warning: Spoilers!

:D

I think a re-imagining of Space Gandam V is looooooooooooooong overdue. Don't you?

Yes, there's a whole generation that knows nothing of the beauty, terror, truth, and sublimity of Space Gandam V. Besides, kids today, they like their robots and, if that last Lord of the Rings movie is anything to go by, they like their giant spiders...so it's a guaranteed hit!

Good catch, fifbeat!

EDIT: I also hope that if they ever make a Hollywood Gundam movie (G-Saviour doesn't count; it was Canadian), I hope they make it EXACTLY like

. Edited by Gubaba

I don't know about knights or messiahs, but what about the fact that they employ Kawamori and the talent that is the creative force behind Macross? The people that actually have bled what we, as fans clamored over. Not people who sit around and expect a piece of the pie or pump out muck like Shadow Chronicles. How has Big West been the speed bump to bringing people Macross Frontier when it's them that sold the license to Bandai? As far as we know Big West has settled for the Japan market and is still able to produce better toys and and better shows. What has HG done with it's Robotech license and it's distribution rights for the rest of the entire world? As I said over and over, I loved Robotech as a kid and if they were able to match that level of excitement with the stuff they're coming out with now then I'll be behind them 100%. But the crap they expel towards their fans now is kinda just insulting. I'm glad Toynami found their place is the toy world as a distributors of Japanese produced toys. That seems to suit them better than being the designers.

QFT. Ever since AL became BFF's with the boys over at HG, he's seems to have lost that understanding. As I see it, HG is a looter, having no real productive value, but rather trying to leech off of the original creative talent.

vinnie

From what I understand, the people of HG have tried to contact members of the original Japanese talent for projects (most notably, the Shadow Chronicles). For a number of reasons HG has been unable to obtain these original maestros so they've been forced to make do with what they have. Now, you might all be thinking that sounds crazy but you'd be surprised how hard some of these Japanese artists can be to find, let alone engage in any sort of business discussion with. Rumor had it that HG was so desperate to get into contact with these people that they were sending some of their reps to Japan to attend things like signing events. The fact is the name Harmony Gold means nothing to these original artists since Harmony Gold hasn't had to cut any of them a check in the past (and probably doesn't have much of a budget to do so now) and you get HG scrounging to make something worthwhile through the collective efforts of a bunch of fans and amateurs. So, I've got little hope of HG doing much to be proud of but maybe WB will dump some resources into this.

EDIT - Grammar

Edited by jenius

Being a Robotech/Macross fan, I would like to see a live action version of Robotech. The supposed live action Macross movie intitled: "Final Outpost Earth" was never made, and I think if HG and Big West could possibly come to a cease fire;

they could make a movie that could be entitled Robotech in the US and Macross in Japan...Uh I just woke up! I was a nice dream, however I don't think it will happen. The Robotech movie we'll get probably will go the same way as the Sentinals and Shadow Chronicles:changing the charcter and mecha in order not to show any Macross influence. I would not get my hopes high on the Robotech movie having any resemblence to the Robotech we know and love. Robotech is over, do you remember love? ^_^

That sounds like a fat wad of BS to me. Besides, when HG refers to "creators" they're usually referring to Tatsunoko staff who had nothing to do with Macross.

I don't know, seems like a reasonable rumor to me since it wouldn't be something really self-serving for HG to spread on its own. "None of the original artists wanted to help us so we had to wing it" isn't exactly a flattering rumor to spread.

HG trying to reach the original creators is like reporters trying to reach Brangelina to ask her about her new kids... you know they're not gonna pick up, but "we thought we'd try anyway". Why would Kawamori and company even entertain the idea? They already have free control of their own material that can be realized a million times better. If HG can afford to prouce something like Macross Plus, Macross Zero, Frontier or even Seven... you think they would come out with something like Shadow Chronicles? HG couldn't even afford to bring it out as a series as planned, instead their fans are getting some movies bound to end up like the Sentinels, unfinished. I'm sure Tommy Yune fears the day they do pick up the phone and decides to work for them... cost and creative-wise. HG can't afford Kawamori much less a whole crew that can bring them a good series...

From what I understand, the people of HG have tried to contact members of the original Japanese talent for projects (most notably, the Shadow Chronicles). For a number of reasons HG has been unable to obtain these original maestros so they've been forced to make do with what they have. Now, you might all be thinking that sounds crazy but you'd be surprised how hard some of these Japanese artists can be to find, let alone engage in any sort of business discussion with. Rumor had it that HG was so desperate to get into contact with these people that they were sending some of their reps to Japan to attend things like signing events. The fact is the name Harmony Gold means nothing to these original artists since Harmony Gold hasn't had to cut any of them a check in the past (and probably doesn't have much of a budget to do so now) and you get HG scrounging to make something worthwhile through the collective efforts of a bunch of fans and amateurs. So, I've got little hope of HG doing much to be proud of but maybe WB will dump some resources into this.

EDIT - Grammar

Last I recall, HG has yet to acknowledge anyone outside of TP for their contributions to Macross. I do believe, though I could be wrong that none of the remastered discs, nor their website acknowledges Kawamori (Mechanical Design, Story), Itano (Animator), Ishiguro (Director), Mikimoto (Charater Designs), or Miyatake (Mechanical Designs). These people were the heart and coul of SDF-Macross.

vinnie

HG knows they're up a creek as far as Macross goes, I highly doubt they'd ever try to contact anyone related to that branch of Robotech.

And if they know it, I'm sure WB knows it as well; that's why I think a live action Robotech movie will probably be set during the Mospeada segment, with maybe Toby playing the part of Scott Benard. :blink:

Last I recall, HG has yet to acknowledge anyone outside of TP for their contributions to Macross. I do believe, though I could be wrong that none of the remastered discs, nor their website acknowledges Kawamori (Mechanical Design, Story), Itano (Animator), Ishiguro (Director), Mikimoto (Charater Designs), or Miyatake (Mechanical Designs). These people were the heart and coul of SDF-Macross.

Ishiguro is 70 years old this year. I don't think you'll want to bring him on-board at that age considering he was probably entering retirement when Shadow Chronicles was being made. As for the other guys, I would expect all of them to have been kinda busy at the time.

And if they know it, I'm sure WB knows it as well; that's why I think a live action Robotech movie will probably be set during the Mospeada segment, with maybe Toby playing the part of Scott Benard. :blink:

the way he cried in spiderman 3, he'd be better as that yellow dancer guy. hehe. hehe. :lol:

oops, sorry gubaba, didn't mean to hurt your feelings... i'm sure you didn't mean to act like a complete wimp in that scene. :p