LIVE ACTION ROBOTECH (WB gets the rights)

UN Spacy

Heehee I love coming here whenever there is news of robotech shows.

I remember when all the doubters said shadow chronicles would never ever in a million years come out and it actually did!

Getting scared that robotech the live action movie might get made are you? hehe :D

I agree with fifi that the whole point of doing a live action robotech is to include robots.

Don't you get it? Transformers was the movie that made it ok to start releasing the giant robot live action movie and try to steal away some of the fans of that franchise towards RT.

It's like what happened when X-men live action movie came out, and then later all the other super hero movies came out. Hollywood is all about trying to outdo the other guy and clone the hell out of each other and steal each other's idea.

Just look at the similarities to disney and dreamworks movies that get released. $$$$ It's not art or anything. It's a kids/teens cartoon. You guy are worried that if it does turn out good, HG will benefit.. :D And even if it IS utter crap, shouldn't you be celebrating with glee that robotech as a franchise is failing to reel in new fans?

Yeah yeah if it sucks it will "rape my childhood", but that is outdone by the pleasure of harmony gold not getting what they want (a successful movie) isn't it? (haven't they caused you grief that it would satisfy you that RT LA ends up being a turd?)

I'm just saying.... BSG had some changes (Starbuck being a chic for example, the voices of the cylons, the blade-runner style replicant robots) and people got used to it, didn't they?

Maybe this movie will take out some of the cheesy stuff from the cartoon? ie the singing bits, the 'oh rick', the cheesy sounding names like "Veritech", and actualy replace them with something better - just because something has changed doesn't mean it has to be a change for the worse.

Having said all this I think the very name Robotech is already cheesy sounding, but considering the times we are living in surrounded by all this machinery(robotech automatically means something to a layperson as the name is selfdescriptive), the money made from the TF LA movie, and the cashing in of movies made from cartoons from the 80s, RT sounds like a natural choice to make into one. Yeah the legal battle and problems with designs are going to be there, but maybe they can make something that is very similar to a vf-1 that isn't a vf-1? VF-1 needs modernising anyway right?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Heehee I love coming here whenever there is news of robotech shows.

I remember when all the doubters said shadow chronicles would never ever in a million years come out and it actually did!

Getting scared that robotech the live action movie might get made are you? hehe :D

To be quite honest...yeah, I am. Hollywood getting involved means that more money is at stake, and the parties involved will get more ruthless.

I agree with fifi that the whole point of doing a live action robotech is to include robots.

Don't you get it? Transformers was the movie that made it ok to start releasing the giant robot live action movie and try to steal away some of the fans of that franchise towards RT.

It's like what happened when X-men live action movie came out, and then later all the other super hero movies came out. Hollywood is all about trying to outdo the other guy and clone the hell out of each other and steal each other's idea.

Just look at the similarities to disney and dreamworks movies that get released. $$$$ It's not art or anything. It's a kids/teens cartoon. You guy are worried that if it does turn out good, HG will benefit.. :D And even if it IS utter crap, shouldn't you be celebrating with glee that robotech as a franchise is failing to reel in new fans?

If it somehow sinks Robotech and Macross emerges unscathed, sure. I can't really see that happening, however...

Yeah yeah if it sucks it will "rape my childhood", but that is outdone by the pleasure of harmony gold not getting what they want (a successful movie) isn't it? (haven't they caused you grief that it would satisfy you that RT LA ends up being a turd?)

I'm just saying.... BSG had some changes (Starbuck being a chic for example, the voices of the cylons, the blade-runner style replicant robots) and people got used to it, didn't they?

Maybe this movie will take out some of the cheesy stuff from the cartoon? ie the singing bits, the 'oh rick', the cheesy sounding names like "Veritech", and actualy replace them with something better - just because something has changed doesn't mean it has to be a change for the worse.

Good point, but I think your overestimating Hollywood's mental prowess.

Having said all this I think the very name Robotech is already cheesy sounding, but considering the times we are living in surrounded by all this machinery(robotech automatically means something to a layperson as the name is selfdescriptive), the money made from the TF LA movie, and the cashing in of movies made from cartoons from the 80s, RT sounds like a natural choice to make into one. Yeah the legal battle and problems with designs are going to be there, but maybe they can make something that is very similar to a vf-1 that isn't a vf-1? VF-1 needs modernising anyway right?

Yeah, one of my Japanese friends (and Macross fan) laughed out loud when I told her that that they called it "Robotech" here. Certain names don't age well...anything with "tech" or "video" in the name just SCREAMS '80s, just as "cyber" denotes early '90s...

I just want to say this: HG are not the only ones who rip off things.

http://bucketbros.com/text/disney-dreamworks-feud.html

In general if there is money generated from the original, they see it as "it's not risky to make now" because all they have to do is copy a formula.

Of course that's not what people who want a good robotech movie want. RT is not transformers.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

the new BSG has its fans. Mostly those too young to know anybetter- or who were "too cool" for scifi back in the 70s/80s (IMHO).

The only thing I found remotely tolerable about that scifi version of a cross between West Wing and 24 was the fightercraft.

But I admit that I am probably in the minority on that.

Edited by daeudi

Oh I agree. I definitely think the new BSG isn't half as good as it should have been. Definitely overrated but far better than everything else out there in sci-fi on tv right now... which isn't saying much. Then where they had good opportunities (Dirk Benedict as Cain for God's sake! Instead of the flattop-bull-dyke-Ro-Laren), they wasted them. Way too much Lee angst, too. And let Stands with a Fist die already!

"Remake" is the most appropriate term for Robotech compared to Macross. Kinda like the new Battlestar:Galactica with the old. Only if they had the done the changes to the new one with edits and called Dirk Benedict's character something else while calling the "Athena" character "Starbuck" and using choice edits to make "Count Iblis" the "Grand Poobah" and making the snowflake ship of lights guys the Lords of Kobol.

This movie can either be very very good or will be very very bad. I'm leaning on the latter... Best case scenario, it ends up like Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor. A movie I would buy on Blu-ray for the action scenes and skip past all the love schmuck. Kinda like I do with my Animeigo Macross DVDs. :D

Edited by Uxi

A movie I would buy on Blu-ray for the action scenes and skip past all the love schmuck. Kinda like I do with my Animeigo Macross DVDs.

Hmmmm....

I like nearly every aspect of Macross. Even the love story. I really don't think it would be Macross without it.

This movie can either be very very good or will be very very bad. I'm leaning on the latter... Best case scenario, it ends up like Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor. A movie I would buy on Blu-ray for the action scenes and skip past all the love schmuck. Kinda like I do with my Animeigo Macross DVDs. :D

I'm with fifbeat and Gubaba on this one, but it reminds me of the last time I actually saw Robotech... I had to FF or mute pretty much every Reba West song. I kind of wished I never relived that childhood memory(trauma?).

Also... you actually bought Pearl Harbor on Blu-ray?!?!

Edited by stray

My ears are still bleeding. And some people say that the songs in Robotech are better than in Macross. :wacko:

My question to those who want this Robotech movie to be made based on Macross, do you want these Minmei songs to be put in the movie?

You know, there are two Reba West songs I don't mind: To Be In Love and It's You Who's On My Mind. You know, in a cheesy way. And, if anything, Reba West had the perfect Anime girl voice. Listen to her while she's fighting with Lynn Kyle. That's some great acting. lol

Also, a lot of the Robotech soundtrack is great. The only soundtrack music I can't stand is the one that plays during every battle sequence. Even worse is the one one that sounds like a Trident gum commercial... you know, "the taste is gonna move ya"...

Hard for me to hate anything about Robotech really... I grew up on that shiznit, man...

Anyways, i thought this was kinda trippy... Read the paragraph below the picture, I found it doing a random search on someone's blog... AND I AGREE! LOL Wonder what they all looked like back when they dubbed it.

500x341.aspx.jpeg

"From left to right, Melanie MacQueen (Lisa Hayes), Tony Oliver (Rick Hunter) and Reba West (Lynn Minmei.) Is it just me or do they all kinda look like their respective characters, only like, chubby and ugly? Do you even remember that show? Anyway, the one that played Minmei is sorta cougar-ific. Just sayin’."

Wonder if the girl who dubbed Annie is an ugly little midget looking chick. lol

Oh I agree. I definitely think the new BSG isn't half as good as it should have been. Definitely overrated but far better than everything else out there in sci-fi on tv right now... which isn't saying much. Then where they had good opportunities (Dirk Benedict as Cain for God's sake! Instead of the flattop-bull-dyke-Ro-Laren), they wasted them. Way too much Lee angst, too. And let Stands with a Fist die already!

"Remake" is the most appropriate term for Robotech compared to Macross. Kinda like the new Battlestar:Galactica with the old. Only if they had the done the changes to the new one with edits and called Dirk Benedict's character something else while calling the "Athena" character "Starbuck" and using choice edits to make "Count Iblis" the "Grand Poobah" and making the snowflake ship of lights guys the Lords of Kobol.

To go off-topic, now you have people saying Frontier's depending too much on the originals. Don't want that to happen to Galactica do you? At least you can claim some difference between the original if you don't like it (still never got to Earth though ;) ) I think I and others just want to be able to disown this from Macross even if it's good.

That kind of crap singing make me want to kill my whole family using a katana and then blow up myself using incendiary knives. (I know, I have played Ninja Gaiden II too much lately ...)

Edited by Macross007

Guest sh002

I hope at least some or all aspects of this movie (story, robot designs, characters, transformation sequences, camera work) are better than transformers.

"From left to right, Melanie MacQueen (Lisa Hayes), Tony Oliver (Rick Hunter) and Reba West (Lynn Minmei.) Is it just me or do they all kinda look like their respective characters, only like, chubby and ugly? Do you even remember that show? Anyway, the one that played Minmei is sorta cougar-ific. Just sayin'."

I think I need therapy after seeing that pic. Thanks fifbeat  :unsure:

Kind of looks like a promo shot for "Mel, Reba, and Tony in the morning" on some radio station.

lol no problem.

I'd like to see an image of what they looked like when they were recording the show.

Tony Oliver does seem like a cool guy. Saw some clips of him on youtube, and some fan requested that he act like Rick Hunter. Funny guy.

BTW, really enjoying the dvd set. =)

500x341.aspx.jpeg

"From left to right, Melanie MacQueen (Lisa Hayes), Tony Oliver (Rick Hunter) and Reba West (Lynn Minmei.) Is it just me or do they all kinda look like their respective characters, only like, chubby and ugly? "

A nicer way to say it would be "chubby and old," but damn, it's true. I didn't know just how much Reba West really looks like Minmay...not DYRL or FB2112 Minmay, but definitely SDFM Minmay.

But... what about the music? Are you an Iijima Mari convert yet?

Mari is way more cougar-rific than Reba West... unless you like some cushion for the pushin...

Love the music so far (I'm only on the beginning of the second disc - so Minmay hasn't hit her prime yet!).

So far, EVERYTHING is better. =)

Still, no matter how much I like Macross, Robotech is still very special to me.

at what point did this thread suddenly become a "get to know your robotech voice actors" festival? <_<

anyways... just a thought... wouldn't it be funny if Maguire and/or WB didn't actually know the whole legal situation regarding HG and Nue/Big West (just a whimsical what-if)?

Maguire: ok, ok, time to start production! let's start with building the props for the SDF-1! gosh, i'm so excited about this one...

Production Assistant: um... sir... i don't think we can do that...

Maguire: huh? what the heck are you talking about?

PA: um, well sir, it isn't really clear yet if the robotech rights we bought from harmony includes the design of the SDF-1. we might have to make up another design.

Maguire: You're kidding me right? I'm being Punk'd, right? how can i make Robotech without the SDF-1???

PA: well, we can always try, but this japanese anime company could start suing us, and it could delay the production indefinitely and --

Maguire: what the hell does a japanese anime company have to do with this? we're remaking a cartoon, last time i checked. not one of those ghost in the whatever anime giant robots with flying fists yadda yadda.

PA: Um, ok sir, at this point, i think i'm the one being Punk'd. You're kidding me, right?

Maguire: kidding you about what?

PA: Um...you do know robotech was anime, right sir?

Maguire.....

PA: .....

Maguire.....

PA: .....

Maguire: um...yeah of course i knew that. haha. i was just messing with you. you thought i didn't know that?? how could i not know something like that, right?? ha-ha. got you there. ha-ha. ha-ha. ha..

PA: haha, ok sir, you got me there. haha. just makin sure...

Maguire: anyway, so ok scrap the SDF-1 design. call michael bay and ask if he has an idea for a new robot ship design...

(sigh) oh well, can't be helped. let's just start production with the veritechs! ok, i want it to look just like in robotech 1st saga, ok?

PA: (sigh) oh boy..... um sir....

Edited by dreamweaver13

So has Tobey stated he is an big Robotech fan? I know he wouldn't admit to being into the original, coz of HG.

i remember reading in one of the articles that came out when the news of the movie came out that Maguire confirmed being a fan of robotech. you're right, he would be silent about whether he's a fan particularly of the original macross, since the one he and WB dealt with was HG.

the skit above is just for fun, and is not in any way a reflection of TM's fanboy leanings, whether for RT or macross. for all i know, he could be a hard-boiled SDFMacross otaku who just got the robotech rights as a mere first step to negotiating with Big West on the macross rights. hell, for all i know, Gubaba could be Tobey Maguire. ;)

i remember reading in one of the articles that came out when the news of the movie came out that Maguire confirmed being a fan of robotech. you're right, he would be silent about whether he's a fan particularly of the original macross, since the one he and WB dealt with was HG.

the skit above is just for fun, and is not in any way a reflection of TM's fanboy leanings, whether for RT or macross. for all i know, he could be a hard-boiled SDFMacross otaku who just got the robotech rights as a mere first step to negotiating with Big West on the macross rights. hell, for all i know, Gubaba could be Tobey Maguire. ;)

CRAP IN A HAT! dreamweaver13's on to me! ABORT! ABORT!