LIVE ACTION ROBOTECH (WB gets the rights)

UN Spacy

Everyone got angry at ang lee hulk, bitched about aliens in indiana jones, and moaned about how the robots had no armor covering their body in transformers.

And yet, they still made money with those movies. Go figure.

Did you like the anglee joke? Anglee?. nyuknyuk poo I'm good.

But my point is that IF and only IF they can't make the VF-1 due to the bigwest problem, (are they planning on bringing this movie to japan? I doubt bigwest is going to like seeing vf-1 in an american movie) then and only then skip space war I, do robotech movie with alphas,

...and then after that, do a *prequel of robotech movie (covering space war I and featuring minmay and all that) which has a Mospeada Zero type fighter that is larger than the alpha fighter and sleeker, and more suitable for dogfighting than it. (bigger for alien giant killing purposes, slimmer for speed)

*which is really the "Macross Saga" events, with new Mospeada Zero fighter designs in it. Battlestar galactica had new viper in it, so robotech gets its new fighter. (but this 'new' fighter is older in the story's timeline, of course)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I'd do it in a way that robotech is allowed to be brought to japan without problems of vf-1 appearing in it.

So space War I which had more action (a defense of a whole planet full of humans) than mospeada (just a small team) and southern cross (about medium sized) can come last. It might be more expensive to make, have more things fighting at any one time, and seem more fierce and desperate than the other two wars but would take advantage of the advances in fx seen later. (for example the cg got better in episode 3 of star wars prequel trilogy movies compared to episode 1 which had muddy textures)

The problem of putting existing alphas in robotech would be that the giants would also have to be smaller. But making the last movie a prequel, and giving us a new mecha would fix that. Making the SW 1 movie come last means more time to design a new mech that never appears in any of the cartoons seen in robotech.

Well if the movie actually does suck it won't mean the end of the world would it? Macross will still continue to exist as it always had. So I never understood this idea that if it sucks it will rape my childhood when you guys didn't even care about robotech anyway. :D

Don't you want to see a alpha/legios toy? And for all the hate for the TF LA movie I actually didn't think it was bad for a mainstream audience who isn't necessarily attached to the cartoon characters. Even when I was a kid I was never that big a fan of transformers enough to think it was going to be the end of the world if the movie actually sucked.

later batman movies started to get worse, but look at what happened later: they rebooted it with batman begins.

It's not going to be the end of the world people.

Sometimes it works: Battlestar galactica tv series, transformers animated, 90 Batman movie, rambo 4

sometimes it sucks: x-men 3, spidey 3, aliens vs predator

Well if the movie actually does suck it won't mean the end of the world would it? Macross will still continue to exist as it always had. So I never understood this idea that if it sucks it will rape my childhood when you guys didn't even care about robotech anyway. :D

Don't you want to see a alpha/legios toy? And for all the hate for the TF LA movie I actually didn't think it was bad for a mainstream audience who isn't necessarily attached to the cartoon characters. Even when I was a kid I was never that big a fan of transformers enough to think it was going to be the end of the world if the movie actually sucked.

later batman movies started to get worse, but look at what happened later: they rebooted it with batman begins.

It's not going to be the end of the world people.

Sometimes it works: Battlestar galactica tv series, transformers animated, 90 Batman movie, rambo 4

sometimes it sucks: x-men 3, spidey 3, aliens vs predator

Good points. I still love, for example, "The Basketball Diaries," and the fact that the movie was almost the Platonic Ideal of a terible movie matters not a whit, since nobody remembers it beyond a few Leonardo DiCaprio fangirls...

But I think my objection to the Robotech movie is simpler than that. It's harmony Gold. They way they're run nowadays, Macross is actively blocked from reaching other shores (legally, at any rate...) in favor of Robotech. Thus, anything that allows HG to profit from Robotech is just forestalling the day when I can go out and buy a nice, well-subbed, R1 Blu-Ray Macross Zero set. Thus, I do not want HG to profit.

Plus, I'm more than a little worried that maybe we're all wrong, and HG (and WB) CAN, or at least WILL make a Macross-based movie, and Big West will do nothing to stop them. Thus, HG's legal standing will be justified, and all the Robotech fans will laugh at us, like so:

"SEE WE TOLD YOU, HRAMNOY GOLD OWN "ALL" OF MACROSS! ROBOTECH FORVEER!

HEHEHE"

And I really don't think any of us want to see that happen...

The only thing that really bothers me is that IF it sucks, the uneducated guests in my house will just see Macross stuff and say oww you liked that crappy film. I have a hard enough time now getting them to realise its not Robotech ( notice I put Robotech and not RowBlowTech) but Macross. One guy actually thought the Japanese version was a rip off of the HG Frankenstein.

Crosses figers and says "do a goood job... do a good job"

I want to know...

I don't want people to see my macross toys and say... 'oh, you liked that robotech movie, you're so lame'

The only thing that really bothers me is that IF it sucks, the uneducated guests in my house will just see Macross stuff and say oww you liked that crappy film.

...who are these people that you guys keep letting into your houses to judge you? And why do you care about their opinions?

I want to know...

...who are these people that you guys keep letting into your houses to judge you? And why do you care about their opinions?

It could be worse, really... I don't have many toys, but I have a little Arii poseable Millia red VF-1 battroid I keep at work... co-worker looked at it and said "oh you must really be into Gundam."

:blink:

But my point is that IF and only IF they can't make the VF-1 due to the bigwest problem, (are they planning on bringing this movie to japan? I doubt bigwest is going to like seeing vf-1 in an american movie) then and only then skip space war I, do robotech movie with alphas,

I would think that, even if rights weren't an issue, we wouldn't see existing mecha or character designs in the film. That they'll do some version of the "Macross Saga" is all but a given (it's what most people think of when they think of "Robotech") but if TRANSFORMERS/GI JOE/etc have taught us anything about how Hollywood thinks when adapting nostalgia fare like this, it's that the filmmakers expect the freedom to "reimagine" the look of the thing to suit their perception of broad audience tastes.

So I'll bet you anything that there'll be an "SDF-1" and "Veritechs", but that they'll bear only a passing resemblance to existing designs. And they'll probably have flames on 'em :rolleyes:

Yeah it's pretty much a given that Robotech won't use straight design from the series anyway. The could very much makes a movie based on the "Macross Saga" aspect of Robotech, but with enough modifications so that some king of "Macross/BW lawsuit" won't be an issue.

-Sergorn

So I'll bet you anything that there'll be an "SDF-1" and "Veritechs", but that they'll bear only a passing resemblance to existing designs. And they'll probably have flames on 'em :rolleyes:

They modernized Vipers and the Battlestars for BSG. Is it so hard to fathom that they will redesign the classics for modern times? :rolleyes:

I would think that, even if rights weren't an issue, we wouldn't see existing mecha or character designs in the film. That they'll do some version of the "Macross Saga" is all but a given (it's what most people think of when they think of "Robotech") but if TRANSFORMERS/GI JOE/etc have taught us anything about how Hollywood thinks when adapting nostalgia fare like this, it's that the filmmakers expect the freedom to "reimagine" the look of the thing to suit their perception of broad audience tastes.

:lol:

Yeah, I bet the "veriteks" will be a lot F-22-eque, ala TF's Starscream, which doesn't bother me really. As someone else said, that would sever that current thin line that relates Roboshet to Macross.

Also, IF this movie is a go, I bet they will entirely skip SW1 (with the exception of some minor flashbacks) and focus on a post-near-extinction-event scenario, a lot like Next Generation. After all, next-gen not only has variable planes (which coincidentally could be easily redesigned to look F-22-esque), but also power-armor, which gives a more human-friendly touch (see how TF focused a lot on humans, despite fans' hatred).

It could be worse, really... I don't have many toys, but I have a little Arii poseable Millia red VF-1 battroid I keep at work... co-worker looked at it and said "oh you must really be into Gundam."

Exactly, that or Transformers.

The only thing that really bothers me is that IF it sucks, the uneducated guests in my house will just see Macross stuff and say oww you liked that crappy film.

The trick is to leave them in fighter mode so people don't know they are actually from a robot show. But I do see your point.

Maybe what might happen is there will be a cartoon based on the live action movie called Robotech: Animated (all the animation is done by japanese because anime is becoming more mainstream and popular in the west :D) and then they'll say: Hey I watch that cartoon on saturdays with my kids! I love the robots in that. Let me transform it, pretty please! :D Where did you buy it?

Of course HG will profit, so whatever happiness there is having a alpha and tread combo at decent mass-produced toy price; which allows you to buy multiples, is all cancelled out by having to help the bad guys. :( HG has control of mospeada and japan is too in love with gundam to care. So this is our last resort.

I wonder how much input HG will have, and how much control they will be given on the mecha design? Not all hollywood movies want to rape your childhood or change stuff for the sake of change. 300 for example, tried to make the movie look panel to panel, like the comic and it went ok. (despite some things added that were'nt in it) The last I heard of the he-man movie was that they were going to make that look like 300. So that movie might have started a trend to making movies be close to the source material where it can.

but if TRANSFORMERS/GI JOE/etc have taught us anything about how Hollywood thinks when adapting nostalgia fare like this, it's that the filmmakers expect the freedom to "reimagine" the look of the thing to suit their perception of broad audience tastes.

So I'll bet you anything that there'll be an "SDF-1" and "Veritechs", but that they'll bear only a passing resemblance to existing designs. And they'll probably have flames on 'em

I think if enough people pressure them about making it look and feel like the robotech cartoon maybe they'll buckle under pressure? The thing with transformers though is I didn't mind that the live action movie took some liberties in some areas. For example the changing size of the characters - something I didn't like even as a kid in the 80s. The rest I agree with: they made them too complex and busy where they could have shown the internal mechanics of the robots in a scene of one of their buddies being heavily battle-damaged. A bit like how you get to see the terminator skeleton after the fleshy bits have been rotted away or c3p0 naked body in prequel trilogy when he has no covers.

But with robotech, it's just not as magical apart from the fuel source of the mecha. (protoculture) So I can see people getting pissed off that they can't have the design of the original which doesn't need changing. Maybe just modernised?

If it turns out that the transformation is shellformer stuff I will be very disappointed.

Aho! No, being against Transformers does. :D

Stupidity + Greed + Bad Moviemaking = Transformers. So your comment does not compute. :p

So far, the first two parts of the equation are in place for Robotech...dare we expect the third? I think we dare. Or, at least, I dare.

Few thing I noticed from movie adaptation from anime/games, few successful while other failed hard. I can accept the Transformer Movie, but I was very disappointed with Wing Commander movie (I will not mention UB work here or G Saviour).

Live Action Robotech? First of all Robotech is a rip-off, making a movie from a rip-off is worse then making a remake :blink:

However I will wait until they released an official trailer or at least some script of the movie, although I'm praying it will be sent into development hell for good.

Hollywood seem to have a policy of redesigning everything when it comes to adaptations, so I doubt we'll see VF-1's in the movies. I wonder what they'll come up with. Some shellformer a la Transformers movie, probably.

is this gonna be another "bumblebee" type homage? where we see this jet that doesn't look like it can fly at all, side by side with an F-14 Tomcat. and tobey maqguire will hop onto the weird-looking jet, smash the f-14 tomcat with the propulsion while taking off, shrug, and wink at the camera?

ugh.

ok. now i get the analogy with transformers (which, by the way, i don't hate as much as gubaba, but i don't love as much as the rest of the world, either). but it'll be just like seeing optimus prime with a mouth! no matter how many justifications i hear about that ("he needs it to portray emotions!"), it just feels fracking wrong on so many levels. and for me, it will be the same way with alpha-type designs on a live-action movie disguising itself as the 1st generation of robotech.

but if it's gonna be a film about the 2nd or 3rd gen, they can make the movie, do what they want, and have a blast, and i couldn't care less about any of the details. and i''ll probably watch it coz it's a sci-fi/mech movie. :)

Edited by dreamweaver13

Stupidity + Greed + Bad Moviemaking = Transformers. So your comment does not compute. :p

So far, the first two parts of the equation are in place for Robotech...dare we expect the third? I think we dare. Or, at least, I dare.

i'd actually withhold commenting on the third... until after i see the scene where Tobey dances in the nyan nyan restaurant bar, interrupting the chinese girl while she's singing on stage. yeah, it's probably gonna happen. you know it's gonna happen. :p

Live Action Robotech? First of all Robotech is a rip-off, making a movie from a rip-off is worse then making a remake

That's harsh. I totally TOTALLY disagree.

Look, the Japanese company got their money and HG bought the rights so they can bring it over to America. I mean, wasn't the reason the Japanese studio sold the series to HG because they needed more money themselves, going over budget and stuff? (correct me if I'm wrong).

Robotech is NOT a rip off. It's just a release of Macross, only dubbed and Americanized (just like Bruce Lee movies were dubbed and introduced over here). You think Harmony Gold would have hit gold with the series if they released it in it's original Japanese launguage and subtitled? What, leave all the nudity and blood for a kid to watch after school? I don't think so. You have to change stuff for the audience. For the mass appeal. For the $$$.

Some of you guys act like Harmony Gold committed a crime. They saw a great series, bought the rights to it, then released it the best way they could for American audiences. They did a great job doing so. It doesn't take a marketing genius to realize WHY they did that.

I'm proud to say that I wouldn't know squat about Mospeada and Macross if it weren't for Robotech. I'm not saying I'm gonna start hangin out at robotech.com and drool over the next Robotech sequel they're pulling out of their a$$es.

Robotech was one of the best things in my life at the time it ran. I remember being 12 and nothing made my day more than an entertaining episode of Robotech.

It's not a bad word. And it shouldn't be. Even in the Macrossworld forums.

Edited by fifbeat

Tobey Maguire will play a emo hero, whether it be Rick Hunter or whoever else. Maybe he'll play Dana Sterling (did I remember her name right?).

Is Jeanne Francaix... ^_^

However I will wait until they released an official trailer or at least some script of the movie, although I'm praying it will be sent into development hell for good.

Just to add more controversy, hehe (btw, I loved Transformers... the effects at least)...

Shoji Kawamori himself was in talks with Galaxy films to do a Live Action Macross Movie back in 1994... The movie was supposed to be released in christmas, 1996... But is still in preproduction hiatus. Wonder if the project will be resurrected some day... (With the recent Transformers/Robotech craze).

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

That's harsh. I totally TOTALLY disagree.

Look, the Japanese company got their money and HG bought the rights so they can bring it over to America. I mean, wasn't the reason the Japanese studio sold the series to HG because they needed more money themselves, going over budget and stuff? (correct me if I'm wrong).

Not quite... the reason why Big West and Studio Nue gave Tatsunoko the international rights to Macross was because it was costing Tatsunoko more then projected to make the series and the rights were given the compensate for them having to go over budget. Tatsunoko's subsequent dealings with Harmony Gold are another matter.

:blink:

That happens to me too

Well when you have model planes in a cabinet and people still refer to them as toys your on a looseing streak already. When it comes to peoples opinions we are all judged by and Judge people its Human nature, so like it or lump it it is important because one persons opinion can and does affect how other people perceive you. It maybe my house but im not the only one who lives there.

Why does everyone assume a straight adaption will work? It wont. ever. You cant just take a script from something, plonk it in front of cameras an expect a live action flick. if the transformers had looked like their animated counterparts in CG it would have looked aweful and cartoony. And people would have complained.

Transformers was an amazing flick. was it perfect? No, not by a long shot. but it was great! If they do a Robotech it may well be the same, even if the mechs look different. Let them! Go for it! Bring it on! Entertain me and u cn have the veritechs turn into no early veihcle at all for all I care!

Robotech is NOT a rip off. It's just a release of Macross, only dubbed and Americanized (just like Bruce Lee movies were dubbed and introduced over here). You think Harmony Gold would have hit gold with the series if they released it in it's original Japanese launguage and subtitled? What, leave all the nudity and blood for a kid to watch after school? I don't think so. You have to change stuff for the audience. For the mass appeal. For the $$$.

Some censoring is not the issue. The issue is pointless rewrites and the terrible idea of connecting three unrelated series. The fact that it took more effort to do that than releasing three shows under the same name makes me wonder why they did it.

Some of you guys act like Harmony Gold committed a crime. They saw a great series, bought the rights to it, then released it the best way they could for American audiences. They did a great job doing so. It doesn't take a marketing genius to realize WHY they did that.

If the only requirement is to market toys and models, then you have a lot of options. They could have released it as an anthology series. Hell, they could have bought two more shows and made a Force Five style space opera five-days-a-week thing. The big problem is Carl Macek is a hack and he thinks his dubs are great. I'll never forgive him for what he did to the Fist of the North Star movie. I'll give you the smell of death, Mr. Tweed Jacket.