Is it that tribike from Zillion? :p

"Popular '80s anime," so I'd say no.

Maybe I am betraying my lack of knowledge of 80s anime, but I'm leaning towards Mospeada myself.

Mospeada seems to have been decently popular, and I honestly can't think of many other shows with transforming mecha that aren't Macross that fit the bill.

I mean, Gundam and Transformers are excluded I imagine. What else had:

- Transforming mecha

- Was popular

- Would make many MWers happy

?

I hope not Orguss. I applaud the quirky designs, they had a lot of character...but they just don't LOOK good.

"Popular '80s anime," so I'd say no.

Maybe I am betraying my lack of knowledge of 80s anime, but I'm leaning towards Mospeada myself.

Mospeada seems to have been decently popular, and I honestly can't think of many other shows with transforming mecha that aren't Macross that fit the bill.

Don't be so regional... :rolleyes: Zillion was quite popular on Japan, Brazil and France. They even had a transformable Trichange toy from SEGA impossible to find that goes for an insane amout of money among collectors.

Nah.. I'm just messing around :p ... chances of being Zillion are almost none. Just my obscure anime reference :ph34r:

Maybe they want to show toynami how is done and make a Voltron... :wacko:

Edited to attach SEGA's Trichange pic

post-209-1168997960_thumb.jpg

Edited by Limbo

I'm actually surprised so many people keep thinking Mospeada, especially with the whole HG debacle.

My first impulse was Bubblegum Crisis and I'm sticking to it. Ride Armor would be nice...but a MOTOSLAVE would be the greatest toy ever. Period. :p

Yamato, we NEED Boomers and hardsuits (and more affordable figs of the gals)!

I'm actually surprised so many people keep thinking Mospeada, especially with the whole HG debacle.

My first impulse was Bubblegum Crisis and I'm sticking to it. Ride Armor would be nice...but a MOTOSLAVE would be the greatest toy ever. Period. :p

Yamato, we NEED Boomers and hardsuits (and more affordable figs of the gals)!

You know, BGC goes seem like a good possibility now that I think about it.

Southern Cross though...that's funny. Sad-funny, but still funny.

Well, it could be a BGC Motoslave, or a Masterpiece Jetfire based on his G1 self b/c TF's are kinda hot right now with the new movie coming out, but my guess would be something from Mospeada, especially since I've seen reports of companies expressing interest in the line from a few years ago. If I remember right, the company wanted to do a full line of bikes that transformed to ride armor, and a set of poseable figures in armor as well. I'd love to get a Beta though.

I think it's pretty obvious which 80's anime I personally want it to be.

Yes, I'd die a happy man if I could get a Legioss/Tread combo (large-scale, transformable, and connecting, of course). But it'd be pretty sweet too to see the Ride Armors done with revoltech-style joints and articulation.

But the "popular" blurb and HG/Toynami having the rights to Mospeada make me think otherwise.

Oh well, a man can dream......

*begin flashback* - Age 11

OMG Gobots!!!

My very first plastic glued robot model was "Leader One" an Alpha Fighter. I was like WOW why is this Gobot cool and looks nothing like the Gobot animation, and all the others suck?

Oh and the main bad guy enemy was some sort of Cyclone rip off...

*End Flashback*

Edited by Star Dragon

you mean Cy-KILL!

Ha! I remember one of the model makers back in the 80's ripped off a ride armor model and resold it as Cy-Kill in the states ... Revoltech maybe? I think it was the Blowsperior one ... They did the same thing with the Legioss kit (can't remember scale ...) which I remember building as a kid.

"Gobots are like the K-Mart transformers" - Randall :)

Except that Gobots don't exist in Japan. So that'd be Machine Robo, except that the main hero doesn't really transform, but rather summons a large robot, kicks butt, gets his butt kicked, summons an even larger robot, and wins. Although the anime was decently popular, that was mostly due to the female lead character, AFAIK...

I'd think "Galvion" if it has to be from a transforming robot anime, except that the Galvion anime failed miserably, despite having very nice music, and some really cool robot designs...the toys (designed by Takatoku) were never brought out widely, either (mainly because Takatoku went bankrupt).

Uh, what have we left?

Dancougar? Unlikely, there's the SOC already.

<draws blank on transforming robot animes>

Well what were all the transforming robot shows of the 80s? Maybe that is where the search should start. List the shows, and the mecha, and then really look hard at it to determine what. Like this:

Mospeada: Legioss/Tread/Ride Armor: Unlikley due to HG/Toynami selling theirs overseas including japan, IIRC

Southern Cross: AJAX/HoverTank/That funky jet: Unlikely, not popular enough

Gundam Zeta: The Zeta Gundam transformed right?: No way, Bandai

Gubuster: the Gunbusters: Not sure, was it 80s or 90s, and I think another company owns it

Orguss: Orguss/Nikick/etc...: Unlikely as Graham said

Gubuster: the Gunbusters: Not sure, was it 80s or 90s, and I think another company owns it

Bandai have recently bought out a Soul of Chogokin toy of Gunbuster, though unless they have an exclusive license that shouldn't stop anyone else having a go, as Studio-Halfeye bought out a transforming Gunbuster model just prior to that.

Well what were all the transforming robot shows of the 80s? Maybe that is where the search should start. List the shows, and the mecha, and then really look hard at it to determine what. Like this:

Mospeada: Legioss/Tread/Ride Armor: Unlikley due to HG/Toynami selling theirs overseas including japan, IIRC

When did Graham say Orguss is unlikely? He knows what the line is so I don't think he will comment for fear of ticking off yamato. I still say it's the most likely.

Dancougar or Dangaio, maybe?