New Star Trek Movie In 2009..

bandit29

Hollywood ran out of fresh ideas years ago, don't ya know?

As long as they can get ignorant people who have never read books or seen the original movies and TV shows the remakes are based on, all the better. It means the executives greenlighting the remakes get more money. As long as enough dodos see the remakes, this trend will continue.

Really, that's all it's about.

I pretty much stay away from most remakes. They just aren't very good most of the time and lack the charm that the original writing staff and actors bring to the originals.

(I saw the Get Smart movie over Thanksgiving when my sister and her boyfriend rented it. Lousy film. Completely lacking in the charm of the TV series. And Stephen Carrell is no Don Adams ((or Maxwell Smart, for that matter) for sure! Different sensibilities, yes, and it completely misses the point. No "missed it by that much" when it's over 10 miles off-target.)

Those are my big beefs against a new Star Trek. I just don't think the director is all that good and know that the writing can't match what was done in the 1960s by writers who were GOOD TV writers AND science-fiction authors. I really don't expect the chemistry of the original cast to be replicated, either. They haven't been successful in that regard with any of the other Star Trek spin-offs, IMHO.

And in all honestly with everything Star Trek on home video, why would I NEED to see a new Star Trek movie in the theaters -- especially if it's going over the same old ground (again), or revamping something that DOESN'T need that!?!!??

P.S. -- You can bet you'll hear more of the same IF either the Robotech live-action film OR a Macross live-action movie ever get off the ground. Frankly, I'm more interested in seeing more of the original animation that's been produced. I know live-action versions will look goofy and things will be changed for incredibly dumb and financial reasons.

Yep... agree 100%. I don't think we have seen many new directions in Sci-Fi/Fantasy since the 1990s/2000s came around. Comics series nowadays are busy either rebooting the franchise or killing off their superheroes (or both!), while media corporations are busy competing on who can reboot their shows and recast their characters in a "new, darker, anti-hero" context. I guess its the end of the era of unbridled optimism and faith in Science...or maybe I am just turning into a cynical old coot!

Edited by edwin3060

And worse yet, what if Nomad, V'ger, & the Borg all combine to form Unicron!

:lol:

This is probably gonna be a massive train wreck. Anyone guestimate at the box office success (or lack thereof)?

I saw that a while back on YouTube. Simple, nice little take. As I commented on that video, he **is** the god***n captain!

Can't go wrong with this

either. A bit old, but still fun.

"Jesus, Bones, give him the brandy!"

Edited by Warmaker

Awsome Star Trek vs. babylon 5 fan movie....

Trek vs. B5

Impressive cgi for a fan made movie. Its no I.M.P.S but its pretty good all the same.

Thats the infamous fan made movie, Star Wreck, which tragically is far better compare to the rest of ST Movies. :lol:

Here is an interview with one of the co writers of the new Star Trek movie: it does contain spoilers, but it also explains what they are doing.

http://trekmovie.com/2008/12/11/bob-orci-e...d-real-science/

Wow, what a convoluted mess. :wacko: So basically, they're trying to justify their time travel/semi-reboot story by saying, "It's the latest in cutting-edge science!!!"

Whatevers. :rolleyes: The ultimate question is: Does it make for a good, thought-provoking story? If not, then who cares whether or not it's scientifically accurate.

Personally, unless a time-travel story can reach the level of "Angel Dark, Demon Bright" (some major sci-fi geeks should know which TV series and episode I'm talking about), it's not gonna leave that much of a lasting impression.

Time travel can bring up some good story issues: are we able to exercise free will/free choice in these situations? Or are we destined to be history's pawn? Can we change history? Or will our actions just result history playing out the way it's "supposed" happen? Should we change history? Or would the alternatives be too risky?

Some good stories can come out of this plot device. But often, most time-travel stories wind up being very derivative or feeling like a retread.

Plus, time travel's been done to death in Star Trek. No question, there's been a bunch of stand-out time-travel episodes in Trek.

But there's also been a good chunk of time-travel dreck too.

Awsome Star Trek vs. babylon 5 fan movie....

Trek vs. B5

Impressive cgi for a fan made movie. Its no I.M.P.S but its pretty good all the same.

Saw this just after they finished it. For a fan movie it is really good. It parodies the whole B5 and Star Trek universe's well.

There are a lot of well placed in joke that only SciFi nuts will see. Worth the 500meg or so download.

Wow, what a convoluted mess. :wacko: So basically, they're trying to justify their time travel/semi-reboot story by saying, "It's the latest in cutting-edge science!!!"

Plus, time travel's been done to death in Star Trek. No question, there's been a bunch of stand-out time-travel episodes in Trek.

But there's also been a good chunk of time-travel dreck too.

Yeah. It sounds like a lame explanation to justify the mess they will be creating with the Trek-verse.

You know, I've also never really liked the time travel/Star Trek combo. The ones I like are

- The City on the Edge of Forever

- Yesterday's Enterprise

- Cause and Effect

But there is just way too many bad usage of time travel in Star Trek: The Voyage Home, that cliffhanger with Mark Twain, All Good Things, First Contact and anything in Voyager.

What really baffles me is why they have never capitalised on the parallel universe thing. Star Trek has done way better with this plot device.

Whatevers. :rolleyes: The ultimate question is: Does it make for a good, thought-provoking story? If not, then who cares whether or not it's scientifically accurate.

Heh. Sounds like justification that could be used to make Macross II canon. :lol::ph34r:

Sorry to hear about that. I am also sorry for my comments about the use of her in the new movie, especially since it now transpires that she was dying of leukemia at the time.

She was a great talent and I would never doubt her importance to the Star Trek Universe. I think the greatest missed opportunity was the fact that she was not able to continue her second in command role from the Star Trek pilot. I think she would have been great in the part if allowed to continue.

For me, her best Trek moment was in DS9 - The Forsaken, when she took Odo in her skirt.

She will be missed.

Taksraven

They should have had her record all sorts of words so they could use them in future installments. Imagine the sequel to this movie. Get Michael Chiklis to play Picard and the guy playing Peter Petrelli to be Wesley Crusher. If Harold can be Sulu, surely Kumar can be the Klingon Kang. Oprah can be Whoopie Golberg and Danny Devito can be Worf.

Sounds like she finished recording her lines for the movie. All the more fitting that they be used now. Her guest spots on the shows were always fun, she will be missed. Sadly the originals are becoming harder to come by these days.

Heh. Sounds like justification that could be used to make Macross II canon. :lol::ph34r:

Actually, Macross Frontier opened a huge window to make II canon, II would still need some minor tweaks, but the whole independantly funded colony fleets, multiple Macross class ships, NUNS, & what not are enough to make me finally accept it as a very likely possability.

Actually, Macross Frontier opened a huge window to make II canon, II would still need some minor tweaks, but the whole independantly funded colony fleets, multiple Macross class ships, NUNS, & what not are enough to make me finally accept it as a very likely possability.

Macross II Cannon??

macrosscannon-attack.png

http://www.new-un-spacy.com/macross2/macrosscannon.htm

Taksraven

i think he knows, and was just screwing around.

trek good. me see trek.

THANK you. At least there is one person in these forums who can spot humor.

And just think. If the director had his way the Trek film would be out now and we all would have seen it. D'oh.

Taksraven

See to me II really never made me feel like they colonized much beyond the solar system. They were talking about the destruction of the human race if Earth was destroyed. It also seemed like bands of Zentraedi were the only threat the UNS ever faced and as such they'd grown complacent.

To me it just seems too much of a wide gap to Frontier and 7.

can we please just give this a rest already, Macross II was never cannon and never will. and you'll never be able to shoehorn it into official continuity unless you go in and hack up the original footage, re-dub it with all new dialog, and probably edit in some new/borrowed footage until it's a completely different movie.

hmm... wait, where have I heard all this before? :blink:

See to me II really never made me feel like they colonized much beyond the solar system. They were talking about the destruction of the human race if Earth was destroyed. It also seemed like bands of Zentraedi were the only threat the UNS ever faced and as such they'd grown complacent.

To me it just seems too much of a wide gap to Frontier and 7.

And that's where the tweaks come in. Instead of Earth, it would have to be a remote colony planet, instead of the actual Macross, it'd have to be one of the mass production models (even II). Put into that new context, many of the elements which were once blarring plot holes, can be attributed to privately funded fleet whackyness.