New Star Trek Movie In 2009..

bandit29

I dont understand why people can actively dislike each other over different opinions.

Isn't that the basis for most of the wars in history.

Humans are fundamentally built to disagree and fight. Religion politics liking one sci fi over another they are all down to opinions when you boil it right down. In religion you get fanatics cultists, suicide bombers and the like in Politics you get the likes of dictators or the lifer politician who only knows his job as senator or MP etc, and in sci fi its down to if you like Trek or Starwars and then down to if Kirk was better than Piccard, which give you the sort of person that is so offten parodied as the Sci Fi geek, it just a form of religion if you like, but without the actual God figures and people being nailed to stuff for being nice.

I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I still don't get why Kid Kirk drives a classic Corvette over a cliff in the trailer :huh:

Vostok 7

Because the whole gag was that the viewer doesn't know it's set into the future until you see the hoverbike. That was the point anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if that whole bit was merely done for the trailer, and isn't even in the movie.

Because the whole gag was that the viewer doesn't know it's set into the future until you see the hoverbike. That was the point anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if that whole bit was merely done for the trailer, and isn't even in the movie.

I got that, but it just left me like "Ok, what was the point of that? Is Kid Kirk against old cars or something?" Then of course you see him riding around on a "old" Harley... So maybe he was on a joyride and forgot about the giant miles deep chasm at the end of the road... But why did he act like it was planned then?

See what I mean?

And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the scenes in the trailer didn't make the movie. That seems to be the norm anymore. It's even worse when you buy the DVD hoping they are there in the "deleted scenes" and then they aren't even there either <_<

Vostok 7

Assuming the scene is even in the movie, I really don't think it's important that the viewer knows why Kirk drives the car off the canyon, any more than the viewer needs to know why he was driving past the under-construction Enterprise, or why they were skydiving in that later scene, or why McCoy was talking to Kirk, or why Kirk and Spock were fighting. The point of a trailer is to get the viewer to want to see the movie to see these scenes in their context.

Assuming the scene is even in the movie, I really don't think it's important that the viewer knows why Kirk drives the car off the canyon, any more than the viewer needs to know why he was driving past the under-construction Enterprise, or why they were skydiving in that later scene, or why McCoy was talking to Kirk, or why Kirk and Spock were fighting. The point of a trailer is to get the viewer to want to see the movie to see these scenes in their context.

I think they were skydiving because it's extreme!!!

hkextreme.jpg

I got that, but it just left me like "Ok, what was the point of that? Is Kid Kirk against old cars or something?" Then of course you see him riding around on a "old" Harley... So maybe he was on a joyride and forgot about the giant miles deep chasm at the end of the road... But why did he act like it was planned then?

See what I mean?

And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the scenes in the trailer didn't make the movie. That seems to be the norm anymore. It's even worse when you buy the DVD hoping they are there in the "deleted scenes" and then they aren't even there either <_<

Vostok 7

I think it was done as a thrill ride... see I get the idea that this Kirk became a delinquient when he was supposed to enter Star Fleet, but didn't because the time line got messed up.

OMGWTF!?! *yawns and goes back to sleep until the thing comes out*

although the intel star trek site is quite good... well at least the lookaround the uss kelvin is.

They left out the good part. Apparently, just as she was cast in the original series, she had to sleep with the producer for her part...eww :)

They left out the good part. Apparently, just as she was cast in the original series, she had to sleep with the producer for her part...eww :)

Typical Hollywood MO, no? :lol:

Seriously though, I am sure that they could have cast better for the "computer voice" for the film. They should get the guy who does "Eddie the shipboard computer" in Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. (Original version, not the 'new' movie)

Taksraven

Aww, I was hoping they'd get the voice of the computer from Portal. :(

Oh well, no complaints though. I wonder what style of voice she'll use though.. she did an utterly mechanical monotone voice for the original series, I wonder if they'll leave that the way it was, or have her do the TNG onward voice.

Just a quick point that may have been made before. With everybody whinging about the ship being built on the Earth's surface, there would seem to be some consistency with what was already established in the series.

Apparently the plaque on the original Enterprise stated that it WAS constructed in San Fran, even though it would make more sense to construct such a vessel in orbit.

If I'm wrong, correct me.

Taksraven.

Apparently though, the timeline has been effectively fubared. While a lot of things should have happened a certain way, they didn't because something wayyy back when was messed up.

A friend of mine and I were actually discussing the temporal ramifications of what the plot appears to involve... it gets ugly and complicated fast.

[geekmode]

Ok, so apparently Kirk never entered Starfleet. His entire life has gone a completely different route, which means all the times he seemed to singlehandedly save the universe may never even happen. I don't want to get into the individual TOS episodes, because many of them still could happen if Spock fixes things up. But the plots of several of the movies are now completely out the window due to things changing.

First and foremost, I'm guessing that with Kirk never getting into Starfleet, he never has a son, or at least not the same one from a scientist he probably met in Starfleet. So, his son David isn't around to make Genesis work, which means the project might have failed, which means the Reliant might never go to Khan's planet and pick him up. So, Khan dies, Spock doesn't, and they never travel to Vulcan to revive him. So they aren't on their way back to Earth when the whale probe hits, and without that handy dandy Klingon ship to land in Golden Gate Park, odds are they're not going to be saving any whales. That's just the start too. Without even touching ST:V and VI, what if Kirk doesn't wind up in the Nexus in Generations? Basically everything he ever does comes into question, so who knows what effects it'll have?

[/geekmode]

Apparently though, the timeline has been effectively fubared. While a lot of things should have happened a certain way, they didn't because something wayyy back when was messed up.

A friend of mine and I were actually discussing the temporal ramifications of what the plot appears to involve... it gets ugly and complicated fast.

[geekmode]

Ok, so apparently Kirk never entered Starfleet. His entire life has gone a completely different route, which means all the times he seemed to singlehandedly save the universe may never even happen. I don't want to get into the individual TOS episodes, because many of them still could happen if Spock fixes things up. But the plots of several of the movies are now completely out the window due to things changing.

First and foremost, I'm guessing that with Kirk never getting into Starfleet, he never has a son, or at least not the same one from a scientist he probably met in Starfleet. So, his son David isn't around to make Genesis work, which means the project might have failed, which means the Reliant might never go to Khan's planet and pick him up. So, Khan dies, Spock doesn't, and they never travel to Vulcan to revive him. So they aren't on their way back to Earth when the whale probe hits, and without that handy dandy Klingon ship to land in Golden Gate Park, odds are they're not going to be saving any whales. That's just the start too. Without even touching ST:V and VI, what if Kirk doesn't wind up in the Nexus in Generations? Basically everything he ever does comes into question, so who knows what effects it'll have?

[/geekmode]

Sounds like the retcon from hell. Never a good idea.

Taksraven

The one major, over-riding thing that absolutely killed Trek for me is all this time travel nonsense. 'Enterprise' especially, although the rest of the series used that lame device to varying degrees. A Star Trek reboot shouldn't be anything else but a trek (sorry) through space; there's enough interesting sci-fi formula out there to create a plot from, than once again throwing all the established canon out the portholes..

Here is an interview with one of the co writers of the new Star Trek movie: it does contain spoilers, but it also explains what they are doing.

http://trekmovie.com/2008/12/11/bob-orci-e...d-real-science/

If I'm understanding this basic interpritation of quantum mechanics, if you go back in time a new time-line is created period. Also, if you do change something in the past, it won't affect the timeline you came from. So my question is then, from what was refrenced in the interview, once you go back in time you CAN NOT return to your original timeline. Moving forward will only move you forward in your new timeline however close/identical it maybe to the one you originally came from. Sounds pretty cool to me and would make sense from what we've seen in most of Trek and even Back To The Future. So like someone else said, maybe Nero is just trying to create his own Stronger Romulan Empire, not trying to help the one he came from. Still doesn't explain Spock going back though since it wouldn't have changed his timeline.

Chris

Edited by Dobber