So Who Actually Likes Macross?

yellowlightman

I was kind of wondering about this given that the topic of Macross 7 haters/lovers never dies. That got me thinking that, not a whole lot of people were crazy about Macross Zero either or Macross II. I would wager that a large portion of Macross fandom only really LIKES about hald of the franchise.

Furthermore, a lot of people here seem to be primarily interested in the toys and models, with the series itself coming second.

Personally, I'm not sure I'm much of a Macross fan. I've never seen the original series, and from what I have seen Macross Plus and DYRL are about the only series I really enjoyed.

So... thoughts?

I like it all! :D

Although I'd have to say Macross 2 was my least favorite, but still fine with me. And I liked 7! :p

I like the series, I like the whole idea of the series, I like the music, games, toys, models.

I like SDF-M

I LOVE DYRL

I LOVE Flashback 2012

I don't care for Macross II

I think Macross Plus is acceptable

I wipe my ass with Macross7 and its fans

I like Macross Zero

I'm mostly dyrl fan, then comes the original series (because it was really late when I was able to see it... Robotech was never over here, Macross even less). That's about it pretty much. I have Macross+, but I've watched it only once. I have to watch it more, but it didn't have that much of macross feel in it for me. It's just okay for an anime, I guess. Never seen Macross II, I will check it out, and Zero too, though I don't except that much from them. But I'll give 'em a try. M7=never. I saw like the first episode few years ago, but I don't really remember anything about it except some kind of retarded guitar battles, or something...??? It was enough M7 for me. Oh yes, and to get Flashback 2012 is on my list definitely.

Edited by Sdf-1

Hmm, I like Agent One's format:

Series - pretty good. (7/10)

DYRL - great, although I don't think it stands alone well. (9/10)

Flashback - waste of time (2/10)

Macross 2 - not great, not bad. (6/10)

Macross 7 - bigger waste of time than flashback (1/10)

Macross Plus - really good. (7/10)

Macross Zero - didn't even feel like macross. no good on its own merits. (5/10)

So, I guess I am only really a fan of half the franchise...at best.

And going by the most vocal opinions on this board at least, a bit unconventional.

I LOVE SDF. Then again, I'm a Robotech Convert. But it has the most soul and the designs are my favorite.

I like DYRL. Great animation, but the story just isn't the same. I like the new designs, but some revisions seem to be there for flashyness's sake alone.

I like Flashback 2038. Superfluous eye candy, although not much to it.

I kind of like MII. It feels like a visual successor to SDF, even if the plot was largely meh.

I really like M+. Great premise, great portrayal of the pilots and the testing of new airframes. A damn good job. My only regret is that the VF-11 just isn't as nice as the VF-1, even though it looks to be related successor. And I'm not a giant fan of the YF-19, since it's look and feel are very different from SDF designs and it just doesn't work as well for me. I still appreciate it some, and am in love with the YF-22.

Mac 7 is vaguely watchable for some of the characterizations and for Milia... but I hate that it has anything to do with SDF (except the parts that are straight out of SDF)... and that the future of what was established in SDF could turn out so... silly.

Mac Zero is somewhat tolerable but mostly forgettable. And there are aspects of Zero that actively encourage my forgetting.

So really, I'm not a Macross Everything fan. I'm more of an SDF fan than anything, and I end up liking the subsequent series based on how similar it feels to the original. Conversely, my wrath for a series is also based on how much it deviates or even contradicts SDF. The closer a series tries to place itself to the original, the more glaring the contradictions and thus my wrath becomes. Hence my vast irritation towards M7 and to a lesser extent, M0. Mac Plus gets away with some visual deviation since it's just bloody fun to watch, and it doesn't try to explain or retcon anything in SDF with something that totally feels different from the original.

EDIT: Heh, I meant Flashback 2012. I have no idea where I got 2038.

Edited by Sundown

Noriko reflects my sentiments exactly. I guess in the end I'd put Zero above MII.

I just don't have as much cognitive dissonance watching MII as I do Zero, since MII's already been disowned as part of the continuity. I can watch MII and think, neat... eh, whatever. But Zero gets me nitpicking because it is a prequel.

I hate it all. I'm only hear to watch A1 and Keith go at it. :p

Seriously...

I LIKE most of it.

With 5 being total apathy, 10 being perfection in animated form, and 0 being Robotech( :p )...

SDF Macross = 8.

One of my favorite animes, but wild variances in animation quality and some writing details keep it from a 9 or 10.

DYRL = 7. As a standalone it's too incomplete. It's good, but not great.

FB 2012 = ... Let's be serious, it's a freaking music video.

If I MUST rate it, I give it a 4, largely due to the new animation sequences. I mildly dislike this one.

Macross 2 = ... I haven't seen recently enough to rate.

Macross Plus = 7 for the OVA, 9 for the movie.

My rationale is detailed in other places, but to summarize: the OVA has some severe writing issues to the extent that it passes a reality suspension threshold set by transforming planes. But it's beautiful, and when I'm not screaming at the idiocy, I'm enjoying myself greatly.

The movie lacks these holes, and is a far more enjoyable experience overall(dammit Manga, do a proper DVD release!)

Macross 7 = ... let's say 6.

Interesting concepts and characters, but a failed execution. I enjoyed it, but I'm not really interested in rewatching it.

Macross Zero = We'll go for 6 again.

I really can't say why, but this one rubbed me the wrong way. It's jaw-droppingly gorgeous, though. As with 7, I enjoyed it but don't really care to watch it again.

Macross Series - Good story that kept me interested in the characters and not just the mecha. (9/10)

DYRL - It was a good looking movie, but the story was too mismashed together and hurried that the film suffered in it's storytelling. (7.5/10)

Flashback - Apart from the last few minutes showing the updated clip of the Macross folks, I thought it was cheesy and not all the songs were that memorable at all. (4/10)

Macross 2 - I liked the mecha of the heroes and Marduk's as well. And I really like Ishtar. Storywise, it was bland but not bad. (7/10)

Macross 7 - Dig the VF-17 and VF-11s, even the VF-19 Blazer. But the whole "I gotta sing instead of fight" angle was the ultimate in annoying. (4/10)

Macross Plus - Great action sequences, animation was fine. The whole duel-romance thing was too hokey and much like a daytime soap opera for me to really like. (8/10)

Macross Zero - The bits of action were nice, though not as good as SDF Macross, DYRL or M+. The whole story with the birdman and the blood samples and the flying feathered VF-0 irritated me and ended on a "What the?" type of note. (7/10)

Edited by baronv

I guess I'll leap on the bandwagon... even though threads like this rub me the wrong way.

SDF Macross - 9 out of 10, My second favorite and the one I find myself watching the most when I watch anythying Macross.

DYRL - 10 out of 10, the summit of Macross. The alpha and the omega. IMHO it all goes downhill from here.

Flashback - 5 out of 10, I can watch it sometimes but it's quite boring to me. I think because it has the original characters in it makes me appreciate it more than I might otherwise.

Plus - 4 out of 10, boring... outside of flashy, overly complex mecha designs I don't see what others see in it.

Macross 7 - 0 out of 10, the show annoys me like fingers on a chalkboard. Enough said.

Zero - 3 out of 10, I never got into it no matter how hard I tried. I found the visual style distracting and the plot quite placid.

Macross II - 4 out of 10, it starts off ok but the plot becomes wrote halfway through and the visual quality goes into the toilet. Had promise but wastes it all in my book.

In the end I really only like SDF Macross and DYRL. I guess you could say that I'm one of those people that appreciates sequels less and less... especially with anime. The originals draw me in but the sequels push me away. I'm the same way with Star Wars.

SDF TV (9/10)

DYRL (9.5/10)

Mac Plus (8/10)

Mac 2 (6/10)

FB2012 (i've never watch it before and i'm not sure when i will get the chance to watch it)

Mac 7 (don't think i will ever attempt to watch it no matter how bored i am)

Mac Zero (7.5/10 the credit goes only to the fight scenes)

Hmm..inetersting thread. I like SDF Macross alot, I Love DYRL's action scenes but don't care for the rest of the movie at all, I thought Macross II as an awesome movie, I Love Macross Plus the most of all (the opening of the first part of the OVA with Isamu fighting the battle armors was the greatest Macross action scene ever,) I haven't seen FB, and I've got Mac7 on dvd but only watched a few episodes so far.. .it was tolerable, and I'm sure it will get somewhat more intersting as it progresses, but undoubtedly it will not breach the mark of mediocrity, and it really dsoen't feel like Macross.

EDIT: Almost forgot, I Loved Mac0, even if the storyline part was a bit kooky...

Edited by promethuem5

Mine is rated by my personal expressions from start to finish of each animated entity.

SDF TV :unsure::)B)) (9/10)

DYRL :D (9/10)

Mac II :D:huh::blink: (7/10)

FB2012 <_<B)) (4 /10)

Mac Plus :angry::):DB)) (9/10) Was first angry about Plus not having Mikimoto characters designs.

Mac 7 :blink::huh::) (6/10)

Mac Zero :D:huh::blink::rolleyes: (7/10)

Edited by SaveRobotech

The originals draw me in but the sequels push me away. I'm the same way with Star Wars.

I'm so much the same way. I'm a Star Trek TMP-series and Star Wars OT fan. Somehow in the sequel series they just manage to lose the grand and epic feel of it all.

I guess I'll leap on the bandwagon... even though threads like this rub me the wrong way.

368252[/snapback]

It wasn't my intention for this thread to turn into a "list" type thread, but I suppose my initial post was a little vague.

A better question would probably be, what keeps you coming back to Macross (and Macross World?) Nostalgia over a classic favorite, the ongoing new series or something else, like the toys?

I liked SDF despite every 4 episodes being shitty animation

I really liked DYRL cause it made up those every 4 episodes and it was the best summery in 2 hours of a TV series.

I liked Macross Plus in its movie form, I didn't like it as a 4 piece OVA.

I liked Macross 7 cause it was different, even if it was fruity.

I sort of liked Macross II, but it had far to many issues to wanna mention.

I sort of disliked Macross Zero for its character designs and poorly done story, but I liked its mechanical designs.

And I disliked Flashback 2012 cause it's nothing but a collection of Minmay songs in music video format with maybe 2 minutes of new footage tacted on. So everytime someone says they watched it, I break into their homes and rip out of the film and whipe my ass on it, then pee on it, and if I don't put it back together, I probably then light it on fire to piss them off.

I haven't done anything to A1's cause Crom commands me not too, its the only thing that saves him from my wrath.....James Earl Jones wrath to be specific.

Hmm...Really liked DYRL, didn't like SDF Macross much, enjoyed M-Zero and absolutely loved Macross Plus (that series specialized in freckles). I haven't gotten around to watching M7, so I can't address that point.

It wasn't my intention for this thread to turn into a "list" type thread, but I suppose my initial post was a little vague.

A better question would probably be, what keeps you coming back to Macross (and Macross World?) Nostalgia over a classic favorite, the ongoing new series or something else, like the toys?

368277[/snapback]

I come to Macross World because this site is kept up to date and its SO well maintained. I feel that I am in good hands with Shawn and Graham!

(in case any n00bs read this, I am kidding, the site owners/maintainers should hang their heads in SHAME)

Macross itself keeps me comming back because its just such a great part of my childhood.

IMO, the only prerequisite for "really enjoying" Macross is to value one Macross production to such a degree that one seeks out more. People know when they are hooked; it's not really a surprise :)

I own Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Macross Do You Remember Love?, Macross Plus Four-Part Series, and Macross Plus Movie Edition. Overall, I'd have to say Macross Plus is my favorite of the franchise.

What keeps me coming back to Macross is my appreciation of the quality put into the products of the franchise. The Animeigo set was second to none for a restored, subtitled DVD release IMO. The Macross Design Works was a brilliant collection of my favorite anime lineart. The Yamato 1/48 Scale valkyrie toys are top quality products with fine detail and design. The Tenjin Hidetaka Art Works of Macross is by far the best table-artwork book I own. Quite simply, it's not a mystery why such fine products continue to interest me. As long as the franchise releases these quality products, I will purchase them.

Keep in mind, I bestow upon Macross not just the title of a great anime, but one of the best works of genre entertainment in the visual medium. For me, Macross is a classic of genre entertainment along side Star Wars, Alien, 2001: A Space Odessey, Terminator, Mad Max, Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, X-Men, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Nausicaa, and Cowboy Bebop. It will always retain its status as such a work of art and entertainment for the medium, most likely as long as I live. Even if there was nothing to regularly come back to (such as new products previously mentioned) Macross would forever maintain a permanent spot among my pantheon of favored genre entertainment.

Of course, owning over dozens of Macross DVDs/VHS tapes, three Macross toys, four Macross books, a dozen Macross CDs, six Macross posters, and a host of other merchandise doesn't hurt :)

I loved SDF Macross and DYRL was always really cool but it wasn't until macross plus did I go nuts for macross. Macross Zero I also enjoyed very much and I thought both of these added much to the universe.. Mac 7 on the other hand was a horrid nightmare.

I love the entire saga. It was what got me into the so-called "real robot" genre. And I consider it one of the great science fiction epics.

I just don't watch the movies/shows. My Classic Battletech Playgroup, on occassion, will get together with our old copies of the Robotech/ Macross II RPG. We dig up stats from online sources for the other shows, plus background info. We'll spend hour after glorious hour role playing adventures in the Macross universe. It's a blast.

I do dabble with model kits, mainly ARII kits, with others I just happened to pick up.

I love this genre so much, that I'll suffer Japanese language only dialouge just to watch the stuff I've been missing out on because of a certain U.S. company, and will leave it at that regarding that issue.

The original series ranks as my top fave. Second place is tied between Plus(OVA/Movie) and Zero, with Macross II trailing in a close third. The script of DYRL wasn't as stellar as it's animation, so it ties with FB2012 in fourth place.

I'm currently watching the M7 series and am working on getting the M7 Movie and OVA spin-offs. So, I reserve judgement until I have seen them all. So far, it's not looking so bad and I'm liking it. It may have just gained another new fan.

Hmm..As a whole? Well I hope that would mean all of us. I would hate to think some of us were hanging around a message board dedicated to an anime franchise that we didn't like...

I like it all since it fleshes out the story more. (especially the stuff about PC in macross 7 and how they set up a key system as if expecting the future generation of humans to finally make peace with aliens in the episode where Exedol explores the ruins) There are different characters and they all have different ideas, goals and dreams about how they should live in the world they live in.

Some are idealistic with thier head in the clouds. (basara)

Others are just ordinary guys faced with difficult situations. (Hikaru)

And then you got the reckless hot heads who try to break boundaries and push the limits to stay competitive without worrying about risk or endangering others. (Dyson)

The original tv series for me will always be special though. The main things going for it:

-love triangle (people want to know what happens next?)

-adventure (epic journey through space with many unknowns)

-use of artillary mecha alongside valks (destroids and the monster)

-mystery (who are the zentradi and why are they like us?)

-good variety of characters who are realistic. (no flashiness, characters are grounded in reality)

-many different battlefields and situations (space combat, ground combat, inside ship combat, destroid combat from long distance, upclose combat with giants, dogfights and transformations in mid combat on the hull of a ship, ship-to-ship combat, mecha to ship combat. All these situations show the versatility of the variable design of the vf1)

Overall Space War I is where the real meat of all the fighting takes place so to me it sets up some exciting scenes. Max and milia's rivalry for example. The use of the sdf1 to smash holes into ships and blow them up from within etc. All of the major events take place here. Constrast this to macross 7, at no point did I feel any danger because of all the repetition and focus on music. I mentioned in another thread that the threat of gubaba getting stepped on by stampeding humans was the only real sense of danger in the show. :D All since it was handled in a way that is hard to believe. eg Mylene not having any training but flying around in a custom valk all by herself with no risk of getting killed. They didn't handle the transition of her maturing from kid to adult very well. In SDF:macross, people like Kakizaki were always screwing up and this made it dangerous because everyone's lives genuinely felt at risk due to the serious tone of the show. It was a show about survival.)

As for macross Zero I feel it was rushed and needed to be made into a tv series and include more about roy's past than what was revealed in the ova. For such an important character fans might want to get to know him better, since he died so suddenly in the series. (all we got was a measly little flashback of roy in a propeller plane in SDF:Macross.) They needed to boost his image beyond what we already knew about him in the original. But the ova seemed to run out of time which was a real shame.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

The model kits are what got me into Macross. Back in ´83 a toy and model store here in Cologne had the first IMAI kits and they had built ones displayed in their storefront. I went into the store and came back as a different being..... :blink::D

Unfortunately, the store guys obviously didn´t know what they were selling, and gathering info about Macross was very difficult at the time. I managed to get a tape of the first 2 episodes of SDF and that was it for about 10 years (no Macross on TV, novideos to buy or rent). Needless to say that I watched it until the tape was worn out and that the series had become something almost mythical for me.

From ´94 on anime became more widespread here in Germany and I bought M+, M2 and DYRL (only the crappy COTB Version). I liked them all (LOVED M+)but it was 2003 when I finally got a HK version of the first TV series. The subs are horrid and the animation is of course out-dated by the later OVAs, but - this was the beginning of it all, and for a series made in ´83 it is really good, a great saga indeed!

I like all Macross series I have seen so far, my favourites being M+ and M0, and while I´m not too excited about M2 and MDynamite7 and the 7movie, none of them was a major letdown, and I will give M7 a try as well, but the old TV series will always be the "centerpiece" for me.

So, yes, I can say I like Macross as a whole. It is the only franchise that managed to grab my attention continuosly for over 20 years now. Star Trek and Star Wars are not nearly as addicting to me - I´d rather go and buy M7 even if it is the worst Macross series than enduring that crappy ST NEMESIS movie again! <_<

Being a model kit builder, the recent Hasegawa kits and all those fan-made garage kits are among the most important things that keep me glued to the franchise.

And, even more than that, being a member of MW - it is great to know there are other fans out there, and being able to exchange information, opinions, pictures etc. has become the greatest thing I ever discovered about Macross.

While admitting I haven't seen Macross Zero, is the only Macross Plus series I can really stomach enough to own.

But you already know that I only come here because you keep mentioning Mospeada, and this just part of that 1% of my posts to MW that aren't in Other ^_^