So Who Actually Likes Macross?

yellowlightman

Sometimes I wonder why Shoji never liked Macross II...

371349[/snapback]

I wonder about that myself. It could have been easily fit into the official timeline. And it was a good Macross installment.

I believe that the official line is that since Studio Nue/Shoji-san had nothing to do with it (although some of the old crew did on an individual basis), it would not be in the official continuity.

But I wonder if there is more to it.

Edited by SpacyAce2012

Macross 7 had (count them) 7 bad guys, hardly the monster of the week syndrom of Sailor Moon.

371334[/snapback]

I'm glad you brought that up, Keith. Let's take a real look, shall we?

post-1088-1140270913.jpgpost-1088-1140270921.gifpost-1088-1140270949.jpgpost-1088-1140270961.jpgpost-1088-1140270975.jpgpost-1088-1140270988.jpg

And wouldn't ya know it, I forgot to bring my Moon Scepter...

A better question would probably be, what keeps you coming back to Macross (and Macross World?) Nostalgia over a classic favorite, the ongoing new series or something else, like the toys?

DYRL and SDF-M both rock. They were the cornerstones of the mid 80's animation (an amazing era on the animation timeline) and the beginning of a genre that went beyond great visual animation. They were created by a pool of very enthusiastic (& sleep deprived) young but incredibly gifted artists. They successfully blended great mecha designs, adorable characters with real souls, and a captivating story line with universal themes that were simply timeless.

In particularly DYRL, its completeness as a film is unparallel to animations that were before its time or those followed (IMO-it beats the crap out of most animations today, with exception like the Eva series, but then again, the core creative people of DYRL were pretty much the backbone of the Eva team).

DYRL’s immaculate details with ideas & visuals still dazzle me till these days. The idea that “a civilization with the no culture is destined to be savages†still sent chills to my bones every time I think about it…if only G.Bush Junior had a copy of DYRL when he was little…, now wouldn't that be nice he could get the Congress to fund a real Valkyrie development team ;) .

Finally, a trivia for all you DYRL fans out there: In one of his interviews, Mamoru Oshii (GITS) commented on the drama aspects of theatrical releases and confessed that DYRL along with the Eva were the only films that he could remember in the past 20 years that was done successfully… so there you go, need I say more?

And that’s why I keep coming back to Macross. :p

p.s. writing this just gave me a thought, does anyone know if there is a thread that rate some of those memorable moments in DYRL? If not, you reckon is worthwhile doing it? I know my fav...and no, is not the scene where Minmay goes to the shower in nude... :D

I think SDF is one of the best Anime storylines ever.

DYRL i think is pretty but not so great story wise.

Personally i liked the contrast between our cultures being enough to shock the Zentradi out of battle readyness.

I just don't think music needs extra "spirita-power" or what ever to make earths culture strong.

SDF and Plus are great, DYRL is ok (great visualy), everything else is Meh to me.

Macross 7 had (count them) 7 bad guys, hardly the monster of the week syndrom of Sailor Moon.

371334[/snapback]

I'm glad you brought that up, Keith. Let's take a real look, shall we?

post-1088-1140270913.jpgpost-1088-1140270921.gifpost-1088-1140270949.jpgpost-1088-1140270961.jpgpost-1088-1140270975.jpgpost-1088-1140270988.jpg

And wouldn't ya know it, I forgot to bring my Moon Scepter...

371377[/snapback]

You forgot Gigil & Gepelitch. Though again I don't see what you find in common with Sailor Moon, hell, did you even watch it, or are you just arbitrarily using it as a target reference?

Sometimes I wonder why Shoji never liked Macross II...

371349[/snapback]

I wonder about that myself. It could have been easily fit into the official timeline. And it was a good Macross installment.

I believe that the official line is that since Studio Nue/Shoji-san had nothing to do with it (although some of the old crew did on an individual basis), it would not be in the official continuity.

But I wonder if there is more to it.

371366[/snapback]

Perhaps it had something to do with DYRL completely retreading over everything that was covered in DYRL, without including any reason for the events happening, care to canon events that occurred before it, or any sign of originality?

You forgot Gigil & Gepelitch. Though again I don't see what you find in common with Sailor Moon, hell, did you even watch it, or are you just arbitrarily using it as a target reference?

371530[/snapback]

Why Keith, that's Gigil in the upper right picture. I couldn't find one in human form, but of course, you knew that was him up there. You being the biggest Macross 7 fan on the planet and all... I'm sorry to say I couldn't find a single picture of Gepelitch. There's just not alot of interest for Macross 7 out on the net.

And yes, Keith, I have watched Sailor Moon, a series far more coherant and interesting than Macross 7. You could actually say I watched more Sailor Moon than was probably healthy for a human being.

Oh wait, Keith, nevermind... I found a picture of Gepelitch...

post-1088-1140357652.jpg

371555[/snapback]

That's so hilarious and entertaining. Wow. I never saw that one coming either, even though I saw you post that picture in the test forum 2 days ago, the same time you posted the figure skater. It's genius the way you waited that long to bait Keith into a anti M7 bashfest just so you can use that againt him. Oh, Togo, you are too cool! Way too cool to start an internet nerd-off. :rolleyes:

DT,

Keep posting images from M7, watching Az, JBO, and Keith defend them will expose their sexual identity issues, as well as their attraction to lameness. You have just made our job of hating M7 much easier.

DT,

Keep posting images from M7, watching Az, JBO, and Keith defend them will expose their sexual identity issues, as well as their attraction to lameness.  You have just made our job of hating M7 much easier.

371617[/snapback]

I love how the M7 fan runs behind a respected member and agrees as opposed to confronting on his own.  How Macross7 of you.

371216[/snapback]

Yes! Tell that retard which way to the finish line A1! You can do it!

Edited by >EXO<

DT,

Keep posting images from M7, watching Az, JBO, and Keith defend them will expose their sexual identity issues, as well as their attraction to lameness.  You have just made our job of hating M7 much easier.

371617[/snapback]

I love how the M7 fan runs behind a respected member and agrees as opposed to confronting on his own.  How Macross7 of you.

371216[/snapback]

Yes! Tell that retard which way to the finish line A1! You can do it!

371619[/snapback]

LOL

Since you guys don't like to listen, fine. A1, DT, and Keith, thank you for ruining as what started out as a perfectly good thread.

Mod Roy here now. Not gonna open the thread to make a post so editing my post into this one.

For the last time:

Macross 7 is part of Macross and is a legitimate topic of discussion on Macross World. Because of this is shall not be thrown in the corner, hidden or some special section just because a few don't like it, like messing with some people that do or some other stupid petty issue. Membership from this site well be removed first for some before discussion Macross 7 is.