Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Certainly looks better than I thought it would, and fighter mode looks really nice. Between the landing gear and  the Arms & Shoulders actually connecting evenly. 

And unlike the Toynami's I don't think those hands will be exploding anytime soon. 

Thank you for all the pics tekering! B))

Edited by 505thAirborne
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, tekering said:

Toynami_scaling.thumb.jpg.6d6ef153f18194a684e60efad8f26f6d.jpg

 

 

Thanks for taking the time to take the pics and write the review.

Just wondering--any points of fragility with the toy itself, or during transformation (I'm thinking of various issues with the Yamato valks over the years)? The shoulder hinges in particular look a bit thin, but maybe they're solid? 

Thanks again. 

Edited by gingaio
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you ever seen a Legioss that could pull off a two-handed grip?  B))

two-handed.thumb.jpg.c3857470d7e370b0bf2c92feb254df8d.jpg

3 hours ago, SuperHobo said:

Are the ratcheting shoulders for forward and backward movement or lateral movement. 

Forward and back.

5a118d36c1970_shoulderjoint.thumb.jpg.ac04e057b2bfde71568761098d6f5c27.jpg

3 hours ago, gingaio said:

Just wondering--any points of fragility with the toy itself, or during transformation (I'm thinking of various issues with the Yamato valks over the years)? The shoulder hinges in particular look a bit thin, but maybe they're solid?

Well, the rotating shoulder hinge is die-cast, but the parts that connect to the arm are all plastic...

However, there are more significant causes of concern.  For starters, there's the faux ankle joint:

stress.thumb.jpg.57822084f3612bbc1cf886ca4817ddc2.jpg

Those are some scary-looking stress marks holding the piece that connects the foot to the leg.

yikes.thumb.jpg.b8c9bb3e0fd49c2daa62cf5dd152c888.jpg

As you can see, there are two little screws that attach the ankle piece to the leg, but the connection isn't particularly solid; there's definitely a little side-to-side play, but don't mistake it for actual ankle tilt.  If you try to twist the foot in one direction or the other, you're just going to cause further stress to that connection.  I actually had to replace the upper screw there with a larger one just to keep the piece secure, since it had worked itself loose in the hours or so since I first got the figure...

problems.thumb.jpg.1fc100dbaee0d2241237dbc3b54f459b.jpg

Note the stress mark on the tip of the rectenna fin, too; it's just a little too long to properly stow under the panel in Armo-Fighter mode, and will likely get bent every time you go back to fighter again.  Thankfully, Evo used the best possible plastic for pieces like this -- rigid enough to hold the shape, but soft enough to bend without snapping off -- so regardless of what you think of the aesthetics, it's an excellent choice for the durability of the toy.  Nonetheless, I'd recommend just trimming the top 5-6mm off that fin.

A more complicated problem is the missile cover hinge on the shoulders.  It's a double-jointed design, meant to open up and then fold down flat against the side of the shoulder, but there isn't enough clearance to get the piece to fold properly.  I'm afraid to force it, especially since it's just as likely to scratch the painted surface as it is to snap off at the hinge, so it only opens up half way.  It's a relatively minor issue, but one to be wary of nevertheless.

I'll let you know if I encounter any serious problems.

1 hour ago, Convectuoso said:

So, how tall is it in Armo Soldier mode?

Exactly the same height as Granddaddy Gakken, as it turns out!  ^_^

5a1199d80d096_withgranddad.thumb.jpg.0c4f14742eb1739b7508769892348218.jpg

Or, to be more precise:

ruler.thumb.jpg.3dd71348d2f091a3f333a370c0106472.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@tekering  Yes ratcheting shoulders! Loosening shoulder joints has always been a problem with modern legioss toys. The shot with the gakken is what I've been waiting for! I love the size. :wub:  But what was EVO thinking with the ankle design? You can't actually get an ankle tilt without stressing the plastic? Good lawd. :( Then there's the fin....they didn't notice it was too long to fit in the socket? Oh EVO toys.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SuperHobo said:

@tekering  Yes ratcheting shoulders! Loosening shoulder joints has always been a problem with modern legioss toys. The shot with the gakken is what I've been waiting for! I love the size. :wub:  But what was EVO thinking with the ankle design? You can't actually get an ankle tilt without stressing the plastic? Good lawd. :( Then there's the fin....they didn't notice it was too long to fit in the socket? Oh EVO toys.....

It's just like how the tail fins on the CMs Legioss were too long to fold all the way into the arms.  Since this was designed by the same guy, maybe it's a weird signature of his.  :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

looks like a terrible paint job and cheap material, just like the 2ss. I do really like the proportions though. If this looked like it was better quality I would buy it, but at the way it looks now and base on the 2ss, i would only buy for half the price at best. I wish arcadia would make this toys

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, eriku said:

It's just like how the tail fins on the CMs Legioss were too long to fold all the way into the arms.  Since this was designed by the same guy, maybe it's a weird signature of his.  :lol:

Can we contact Weijiang and ask them to make a KO of this guy that both fixes it's problems,makes it out of much better materials  and for less money? If they can do that for transformers, why not this guy? :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, tekering said:

5a1199d80d096_withgranddad.thumb.jpg.0c4f14742eb1739b7508769892348218.jpg

 

Thanks for all the additional pics and info. Very much appreciated.

First-world dilemmas, first-world dilemmas...told myself I'd buy into this line if the toy has good quality and is at least as big as the old Gakken. Well, the second criterion has been met. And it looks great to boot. 

The stress marks, especially on the ankles...ouch. Consider my OCD triggered. Last thing I want is a $300 toy that's going to tear an Achilles upon transformation. And the stress mark on the fin is no fun either. Uh. Same issue with MP Hot Rod...need that character, but don't need the QC problems like flaking chrome. 

 

4 hours ago, SuperHobo said:

Can we contact Weijiang and ask them to make a KO of this guy that both fixes it's problems,makes it out of much better materials  and for less money? If they can do that for transformers, why not this guy? :D

 

I know, right? A super-sized, super-QC'ed Legioss. That's the dream. In fact, my MPP-10 is currently the dream on my shelf. 

Edited by gingaio
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, captain america said:

I wonder how it would look next to the Gosu. :ph34r:

I'm afraid my King Crabs aren't ready for photography yet... but it sure looks awesome next to Pinky!

ideal.thumb.jpg.123691fd4003af1284d46df720e7f2fb.jpg

Oh, and the Evo pilot figure fits nicely into the Gosu's cockpit.  ^_^

fits.thumb.jpg.ca490c749ff26e9dc0df4d29d75d8a1b.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the pics and info, tekering!  I may not pick this up, but it's still nice to see all the comparison pics and all the details we never get to see in the promo pics.

What's your opinion on the hip joints?  Any chance this figure can pull off any A-stances either in Armo-Diver or Soldier mode?

Also, are those ratcheted shoulder joints strong enough to hold a one-armed, pointing-the-gun-out-with-arm-pretty-much-parallel-to-the-ground pose?

If this can pull those two things off, we may have a new standard-bearer in the Legioss/Alpha toy category.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tekering - Thanks for the pictures and review. Especially that side profile in Fighter mode photo.

 

It might not be perfect but this is the best Alpha that I've seen. If there is another option someone let me know. That picture with the old version really tells the story. I got rid of that old version. I hated the beached whale look in Fighter mode and a few other issues. But I love the proportions on the new version.


It is expensive though. They are asking for too much compared to the Bandai VF-31. And I don't know why we are getting stickers for the Alpha at that price. But this might be that saying beggars can't be choosers or something like that. We are getting Alphas and Cyclones. I'm getting the red version. And most likely the green and blue too. Maybe by the time the red and green versions are released they can get the stickers on the fighter so we don't have to place them. And perhaps fix some of those other issues.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Mog said:

Any chance this figure can pull off any A-stances either in Armo-Diver or Soldier mode?

Also, are those ratcheted shoulder joints strong enough to hold a one-armed, pointing-the-gun-out-with-arm-pretty-much-parallel-to-the-ground pose?

Something like this, you mean?

5a12ce337c535_DiverA.thumb.jpg.973c090a44600bff20c0c38068dcb4b4.jpg

Or this?

5a12ce3595c71_SoldierA.thumb.jpg.c170a35a743106f681ff86fb0cec720a.jpg

No sweat.  B))

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Once I get my Legioss I will post some pics about minor DIY improvements concerning weaknesses shown on pics (thanks a lot for all the pics). I am thinking about adding grease and change some screws.

In my opinion this Legioss is nice but way too expensive. i agree WE could send a KO to the EVO designers. At this time, nothing can  beat  the very old Gakken in terms of solidity.

 

1 hour ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

Beautiful pics!!!! Thank you. I really like the look of this Legioss. The sculpt is awesome.

I don't trust the choice of materials for its contruction.

You can spam the thread with pics!!!! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another great touch: the Mospeada "Cyclone" Ride Armor (in its collapsed state) is visible in the fuselage mid-transformation.

nice.thumb.jpg.1c3ec5c5f3e34718b6e92076529a9757.jpg

9 hours ago, JetJockey said:

It might not be perfect but this is the best Alpha that I've seen.

It's the best Legioss toy to date, and it's more accurate (and better articulated) than any of the licensed model kits, even.

1 hour ago, hector2001 said:

In my opinion this Legioss is nice but way too expensive.

9 hours ago, JetJockey said:

It is expensive though. They are asking for too much compared to the Bandai VF-31.

Totally unfair comparison there.  Bandai is a massive company with their own factories, and Macross is a huge and vibrant franchise with numerous TV series and feature films.  The VF-31 is a guaranteed seller.

Evolution Toys is a tiny company having to work with overseas factories, and Mospeada went off the air some thirty-odd years ago.  The market is infinitesimally small by comparison, so we're talking about a much smaller production run with a considerably higher per-unit cost as a result.

1 hour ago, hector2001 said:

At this time, nothing can beat the very old Gakken in terms of solidity.

Another totally unfair comparison.  Gakken's toys were designed for a totally different market -- they were meant for kids.

2 hours ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

You can spam the thread with pics!!!! 

You say that as if I wasn't already...  ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Indeed, I think some people grossly underestimate the cost and complexity involved with manufacturing, especially when subcontracting is involved. Just an FYI, know that the toys that you see in big retail stores are loss leaders, so night-and-day difference with highly detailed collector toys.

With that said, ET deserves praise for scaling-up their Legioss so far beyond the published stats. In fact, it comes closer than any previous Legioss toy to the anime style sheet size comparison.

Based on the size of the pilot in the Gosu cockpit that Ted posted, it's probably still a hair undersized, but close enough.

size-chart-02.gif

IMG_0624.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I understand the costs that small toy companies incur for these collectors' items.

I think some of the comments above reflect disappointment that, given the asking price, Evo couldn't come up with a sturdier toy (at least according to what we've seen).

Asking price is one thing. A quality toy, though...while, yes, Third-Party TF makers don't have to pay licensing costs (because they're essentially making illegal product), they're also consistently (these days, anyways) putting out toys that are of quality that rival and/or surpass that of the official toy companies. 

For example, Weijiang upscaled/knocked off/redesigned the MP-10 figure and released a product that, quality-wise, is essentially perfect (and much, much better than the official version)--you can pick it up for $75 shipped now. And there are two companies who've made/are making 2-foot-tall Omega Supremes (original designs) that are of high quality, and about the same price as or cheaper than the Legioss (again, unofficial toys, I know, but these are also tiny companies--just groups of fans--who are making these things). 

In any case, I don't think 'collectors' items' and 'quality/sturdiness' need to be mutually exclusive. I'd like to see more reviews to get a fuller picture, but man, those kinds of stress marks right out of the box is pretty bad. 

That said, I get the different points of view--the "this is the best we got, so I'm going for it" opinion and the "if this is the best we got, I ain't buying." 

In any case, thanks to Tekering for filling this thread with all the beautiful pics. 

Edited by gingaio
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, gingaio said:

I understand the costs that small toy companies incur for these collectors' items.

I think some of the comments above reflect disappointment that, given the asking price, Evo couldn't come up with a sturdier toy (at least according to what we've seen).

Asking price is one thing. A quality toy, though...while, yes, Third-Party TF makers don't have to pay licensing costs (because they're essentially making illegal product), they're also consistently (these days, anyways) putting out toys that are of quality that rival and/or surpass that of the official toy companies. 

For example, Weijiang upscaled/knocked off/redesigned the MP-10 figure and released a product that, quality-wise, is essentially perfect (and much, much better than the official version)--you can pick it up for $75 shipped now. And there are two companies who've made/are making 2-foot-tall Omega Supremes (original designs) that are of high quality, and about the same price as or cheaper than the Legioss (again, unofficial toys, I know, but these are also tiny companies--just groups of fans--who are making these things). 

In any case, I don't think 'collectors' items' and 'quality/sturdiness' need to be mutually exclusive. I'd like to see more reviews to get a fuller picture, but man, those kinds of stress marks right out of the box is pretty bad. 

That said, I get the different points of view--the "this is the best we got, so I'm going for it" opinion and the "if this is the best we got, I ain't buying." 

In any case, thanks to Tekering for filling this thread with all the beautiful pics. 

I definitely agree with what you're saying here. I've designed and had many products manufactured, personally and for former employers. However, there's always the question, regardless of the final market size: "Is the final product worth the cost?" (Not to mention, "Is the final product going to damage our reputation?")

In this case, it looks to me like this may be the best we've got, but it remains to be seen whether it's worth the cost.

Now, back in that 2007-2009 Mospeada resurgance (I may be misremembering the years), I snapped up every product I could, because it was better than nothing.

At this point, if it's a ride armor (or Motoslave, etc.), then I'll almost always get it, regardless of cost (though the new rush of Megazone 23 products may be finally over that line of me being willing to spend big money on small products or flawed products). For other Mospeada products, like this... just not feeling it.

 

(gingaio, to your comment about third party/unlicensed TF products: I snap up every third party motorcycle that comes along. A few have disappointed, but most, in recent years, have been at least equal material quality and much better or more interesting engineering than any of the HasTak stuff, in my opinion. I'm very willing to pay the 3x-10x higher prices when I know the final product is worth it.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, tekering said:

Something like this, you mean?

5a12ce337c535_DiverA.thumb.jpg.973c090a44600bff20c0c38068dcb4b4.jpg

Or this?

5a12ce3595c71_SoldierA.thumb.jpg.c170a35a743106f681ff86fb0cec720a.jpg

No sweat.  B))

Thanks for the pics.  It's about time we get a modern Legioss/Alpha that can actually keep its gun up in that position!

Regarding the A-stance, I was hoping for more lateral movement at the hips, like this:

5a13fe65d0bb2_UpdatedAlpha-Beta.jpg.854e385a395a801559b1fef6fea30b3a.jpg

(I actually have my Toynami Alpha in an even wider stance currently.  But those wide stances are only due to cracked hip connectors in the Alpha's thigh area and paper clips keeping the legs from splaying away from the hip joints.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mog said:

But those wide stances are only due to cracked hip connectors in the Alpha's thigh area and paper clips keeping the legs from splaying away from the hip joints.

Yeah, nothing says "broken toy" like an awkward A-stance.  :unsure:

2 minutes ago, edstuff said:

Soooooo I've been gone a while. My toy interests fluctuate. Is JM making invids again????

He is indeed.  B))

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Officially it will be closer to 1/32 like the Gakken but, as the captain has pointed out, the official stats don't agree to numerous pieces of art and the show is inconsistent also. Unofficially, backing into the most likely proper size, the toy would be more like 1/48.

Edited by jenius
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gaaaahh.....I don't need to get into these!!! Wedding expenses have just killed me...But I SO need to! They do look fairly cheaply built, but then again....as many have pointed out, will we ever get anything better??? Most likely not...:unsure:.  Still gonna wait for the Jenius review before I even think about pulling the trigger. SO much on pre-order for the end of the year and early spring! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still not convinced....I have a stress mark 'phobia', (you know, the kind of people who boils their toys in order to remove stress marks....). When toys right out of the box have stress marks left and right not great.

I was actually back on the fence as to ordering one. But the pics of the ankles part kept coming into my mind. Not to mention having to do some DIY after getting it (issues with the screws etc). Not impressed by the lack of details and below-average manufacturing. Although, scale and articulations aren't bad.

Also,you get one, you're bound to get the others (as far as I'm concerned anyways....).¥90000 for all 3. Too much. 

On the other hand if it ever goes on sale, at an 'reasonable' price...who knows.:ph34r:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • azrael changed the title to Mospeada

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...