Recently I was playing with my Evolution Toy VF-2SS.  It's definitely not my best Valk by any stretch.  Hell, it has problems competing with $50 Leader class mass market Hasbro Transformers.  But I don't hate it.

It got me thinking that maybe I should haul out my Toynami MP Alpha and give it another chance.  After a few minutes of handling the MP Alpha I was reminded in vast detail what a horrible POS it is.  It's floppier than a wet noodle and is impossible to get lined up worth a damn.  One of the hands on mine broke long ago, requiring me to superglue it in place, and while handling it again joints in the interior of the leg and arm broke.  Admittedly it's over a decade old, but I have a lot of toys that are older than that and they don't disintegrate while I handle them.

So, I see that the ET version of the toy is just a "refined" and bigger version of the Toynami MP.  And while I'm not singing the praises of the ET VF-2, it isn't a total trainwreck like the Toynami Alpha is.  So, my question is, did ET improve the build quality over the ridiculously naff Toynami MP.  For me that Toynami one is the absolute low bar for premium transformable toys.  So, is the ET version at least a notch up from that?  Is it at least VF-2SS level?

Because that red version sure does look nice.  I may be willing to roll the dice on ET again.

Regardless, I'm probably going to hunt for a 1/35 Gakken sometime during 2018.

15 minutes ago, chaff.g said:

The way they've lit these product photos really emphasizes the questionable quality of the plastic. It appears totally translucent, like a gunpla model.

Bandai kits actually have beautiful, vibrant colored plastic... Very much unlike this, which looks like its plastic comes from recycled drinking cups or something. Granted you can't use polystyrene for a toy, but still, that translusency really kills the otherwise great look of the figure.

I really hope Evolution Toys eventually decides to use better plastic. Personally I don't think the Legioss has ever looked better and I'm one of those guys who also bought their VF-2ss. I'd hoped they'd remedied the issue. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the case. I guess I'll have to wait for another company to get the license and hope they do it justice. I really don't understand how even 3rd party TF companies can pull off more complex toys and give us a solid build for around $130. I know Evolution Toys has to pay for licensing but I'd think they'd still turn a profit if they'd use better plastic. Quite honestly I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for this mech if it didn't mean having to handle it with kid gloves.

Edited by adankree

I'm returning my ET Legioss to HLJ for a replacement. It transformed to Soldier just fine, but fell apart going back to fighter. 

I don't think the license for MOSPEADA is all that much. Charging as much as possible for the lowest possible quality = $$$, in the short term.

Can you describe what broke and where? There have now been a few toys with breakages but I haven't really been able to see what's wrong with any of them so I don't know if they just are missing glue or if there's a piece of plastic that's prone to breaking somewhere. Would love to include that info in my review as mine is still in one piece (knock on wood).

10 hours ago, Tober said:

I'm returning my ET Legioss to HLJ for a replacement. It transformed to Soldier just fine, but fell apart going back to fighter. 

That really sucks man, sorry to hear about that.  Yeh....still not regretting not buying this POS toy honestly. As bad as I want all 3, I'm not wasting the money. 

4 hours ago, derex3592 said:

That really sucks man, sorry to hear about that.  Yeh....still not regretting not buying this POS toy honestly. As bad as I want all 3, I'm not wasting the money. 

Yeah, hopefully better luck next time.

Congrats on your latest acquisition. Here's to the build quality being good and the parts staying tight for a long time. ;) 

Judging by the (apparent) thickness of the broken components, I'm wondering if the material was changed to a weaker or more brittle plastic after the designers had designed and toleranced the connections, where they assumed a different plastic.

I had the same hard point fail. Fortunately, the piece can be pegged back into place after the break... Obviously a bummer. Those arm pegs are no good. The knerdout guy had an arm off at the shoulder also right? ET seems really enamored with keeping pegs and trans as tiny as possible to the detriment if their products.

Jeebus. How hard can it be to make a decent Legioss? So far my Gakken still seems to be the best, and Captain America’s a dang close second, defeated only by its price. 

Hey, the Evo Zeta comes with Dark Legioss figures!  ^_^

61LvyKwh95L._SL1100_.jpg

On 12/16/2017 at 5:28 PM, jenius said:

Anyone been able to keep the fingers on the hand when going back to fighter mode?

Are you having trouble positioning the hand so that it fits under the forearm?

Edited by tekering

So, exciting times! Anymoon.com will be transition to 4K content beginning 1/1/2018 and my latest post has a few 4K pics in it. I treated myself to a new camera :). I'm hoping early next year I'll also switch to 4K videos with a bit higher production values as well. Fingers crossed! In the meantime, I've got my Evo toys review up on anymoon.com. Here's a teaser pic:

ET-Legioss-Eta-13.jpg

Edited by jenius

7 hours ago, jenius said:

So, exciting times! Anymoon.com will be transition to 4K content beginning 1/1/2018 and my latest post has a few 4K pics in it. I treated myself to a new camera :). I'm hoping early next year I'll also switch to 4K videos with a bit higher production values as well. Fingers crossed! In the meantime, I've got my Evo toys review up on anymoon.com. Here's a teaser pic:

ET-Legioss-Eta-13.jpg

Just saw your review.  Discouraging is the word I would use... after all this time, still can't get a decent Legioss toy.

By the way -- is "lee-jee-os" the correct pronunciation?  I always thought it was pronounced "leg-ee-os" (hard "g", "leg" as in the things you stand on).

For well over a thousand years, English speakers have ignored foreign pronunciation rules and just applied their own phonetic conventions instead... which is why we pronounce karaoke as "carry-okie" instead of "kahra-okay."  To mispronounce Legioss is simply part of that proud tradition (and perfectly consistent with English phonics, at least).

If Tatsunoko really gave a damn, they would've used a spelling like "Leggy Ohss" anyway... and we wouldn't have this trivial problem.  <_<

8 hours ago, jenius said:

Never take pronunciation lessons from me.

And yet, despite repeated apologies, you do (ironically enough) pronounce "Gakken" correctly.  :p

So my justification on "Legioss" would be that it's a made up, not Japanese word, being spoken in Japanese in the show. The closest English word I know is ”legion” and hence I say "li-ji-ose". That said, if you read Tolkien a lot or use ”legend” as your basis, you may go with something more like an elf name and come out with something more similar to how it was pronounced in the show. Either way, like Mospeada, it's a made up word, so I don't think we should overly sweat it.

25 minutes ago, jenius said:

So my justification on "Legioss" would be that it's a made up, not Japanese word, being spoken in Japanese in the show. The closest English word I know is ”legion” and hence I say "li-ji-ose". That said, if you read Tolkien a lot or use ”legend” as your basis, you may go with something more like an elf name and come out with something more similar to how it was pronounced in the show. Either way, like Mospeada, it's a made up word, so I don't think we should overly sweat it.

No worries, not trying to pick a fight.  By "correct" I guess I meant the way the Japanese characters would say it on the show, and therefore the way the creators would say it.  Your pronunciation of "Legioss" in no way detracts from your tremendous service to the Macross/Mospeada/Transformers/mecha toy collecting community!  Consider it a reflection of your credibility and depth of knowledge -- "Gosh, if that's how Jenius says it, it must be right!"  :-)

Edited by SuperSenpai

18 minutes ago, UN Spacy said:

LOL folks paying full price...this’ll be 50-60% in a few months. Even then it doesn’t justify the ill fitting parts and abundance of stretch marks.

I know, I'm very weak, I love Mospeada and the Legioss, I can't show self restraint, I canceled my HLJ preorder but finally caved in and bought it.

7 minutes ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

I know, I'm very weak, I love Mospeada and the Legioss, I can't show self restraint, I canceled my HLJ preorder but finally caved in and bought it.

Hey, that's ok, Ignacio. Who know's if this will literally go on sale? It might, down the line but we're not sure if it's 50%, 60%, 80%, etc. Right? And by then, who knows if there's some stock to sell? As long that you're happy with your purchase, then all is good. If not, then the only thing you can do is just shake your head. ^_^ 

5 hours ago, jenius said:

.... or we could just use a simple stand-in in place of these exotic names.  The Greek alphabet is widely used and known, so I propose that we call it... an Alpha.  :D

36 minutes ago, CoryHolmes said:

.... or we could just use a simple stand-in in place of these exotic names.  The Greek alphabet is widely used and known, so I propose that we call it... an Alpha.  :D

Well, I would have to agree if this is the Robotech thread and not Mospeada. And last time I checked, this is Mospeada thread. ^_^