Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

Ok, I do want to say it looks at least slightly better with a competent pose.. but those arms and legs look really weird. :blink: 

Fighter actually looks mostly decent from that angle, though.  I'm.. cautiously optimistic?  I don't know.  It's a really weird beast.

Edited by Chronocidal

3 minutes ago, MKT said:

Yeah Fighter actually looks very nice at this angle. Not so much Battroid though, that right knee is at a very weird angle. Pretty sure whoever posed it accidentally activated the Gerwalk joint there.

I'm really not sure what is going on there, the thing doesn't look like it has a gerwalk joint so much as having two separate knees with a big mid-section between them.

8 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm really not sure what is going on there, the thing doesn't look like it has a gerwalk joint so much as having two separate knees with a big mid-section between them.

Yeah I conflated the traditional Gerwalk joint with the upper knee joint. Double jointed knees is good to have in many figures, but I think it's not supposed to be used this way for Battroid as how it was posed lol. 

22 minutes ago, MKT said:

Yeah I conflated the traditional Gerwalk joint with the upper knee joint. Double jointed knees is good to have in many figures, but I think it's not supposed to be used this way for Battroid as how it was posed lol. 

I'm curious to how long these double knee joints will hold up with all that weight on the back. 

1 hour ago, Raikkonen said:

I'm curious to how long these double knee joints will hold up with all that weight on the back. 

Don't think double knee joints will necessarily be weaker over time compared to single joint with that weight; I think the concern should be more on the strength of the hip joints instead. 

45 minutes ago, MKT said:

Don't think double knee joints will necessarily be weaker over time compared to single joint with that weight; I think the concern should be more on the strength of the hip joints instead. 

Don't the VF-31s all have ratcheted hips? What are the chances they'd go back to regular ball joints?

15 minutes ago, Actar said:

Don't the VF-31s all have ratcheted hips? What are the chances they'd go back to regular ball joints?

Well, the DX VF-1 came after the VF-31, and that went back to ball joints so the YF-21 could go either way. I personally would not be surprised if the YF-21 uses ball joints since there won't be any additional weight on its back from the fast-pack.. 

Wow, that fighter mode just looks so much better than I was thinking (or from previous photos) - the nose actually looks somewhat in proportion.  Did they come up with a new mould or is it just all camera angles/lenses?

1 minute ago, wm cheng said:

Wow, that fighter mode just looks so much better than I was thinking (or from previous photos) - the nose actually looks somewhat in proportion.  Did they come up with a new mould or is it just all camera angles/lenses?

I think the more natural angles help it, but it's also completely hiding the badonk behind it.  I think it's going to have both good and bad angles.  I want to see unhindered side and top views.

15 minutes ago, Actar said:

YF-21.jpg.ff30da6f1acc76327aa2acc29bfb9267.jpg

Turning up the brightness/contrast, you can see that it's rather thick, especially with the FAST Pack.

Yeah, I did notice that, although a significant amount of that chonk is the stand.  The packs themselves look hilariously thick to the point that I probably would never mount them.

On 11/10/2023 at 12:02 PM, IIymij said:

I'm a terrible photoshoper but if this is anything to go by, it looks closer to old yf-21 nose length. Not to mention the wing just looks massive...

The angle of the video might change the dimensions slightly 

Credits to https://anymoon.com/blog/?p=2477 for having these pix for me to reference to

I've been checking on this thread every once and a while...the angle makes really hard to make a good comparison. That said, I'm on the fence about this one...

2 hours ago, sjoebarry said:

STILL not one picture of it in Battroid mode without being on the stand, i.e. standing on its own legs

That pose/viewing angle in battroid isn’t doing the figure any favors.  I did a double take the first time I saw it because I honestly couldn’t figure out what the heck I was looking at.  That said, I’m still buying 2 or 3.  Maybe 1-2 more once I’ve had a chance to futz with it in person.

18 hours ago, rematron said:

Oh! Do I see a tilting seat gimmick in there?!

IMG_2502.jpeg

Nice observation. :good: It does somewhat look like Guld is upright in this pic. 

16 hours ago, Froy said:

This is the first thing that came to my mind at the moment of seeing that 21 with fast packs:

Screenshot_20231116-1526292.png.fa58a0c8147ff76027af9c979649d970.png

:rofl::rofl::rofl: 

Thanks for posting the video @Froy

I'm warming up to Fighter mode even more now. Not sure if Bandai did something, or as some have pointed out it could be camera lens differences then & now, but the whole nose in this video look sufficiently long now almost like Yamato's. With the sharper line definition & curvatures, it now actually might look even better than Yamato's in this area. :ph34r:

The Fast Pack looking as thick as it does, and with the grey contrast actually gives the illusion that the bare YF-21 underbelly is appropriately slim. It like how some cars have dark-colored skirtings or bumper lips contrasting with the body colour to make it look lower or slimmer. I suspect this YF-21 Fighter looks better with its Fast Pack than without, because without it will expose more of the blue underbelly and we'll see more penguins. :p

Battroid still looks janky though.

On side note, happy to see that the HMR VF-0A is also more grey than blue here - colors almost the same as Arcadia's.