What will Hasegawa do next?

KOG Water Dragon

@SteveTheFish Thank you for the pictures. The finish on the Q-Rau is so perfect.

According to someone on Twitter, the TV version is still not decided, but I can imagine this coupled with a full Milia figure (like the Crusher Joe kits that came with a 1/20 Alfin) totally going through the roof.

22 hours ago, Big s said:

Did they invent these markings just for this kit?

Nah, animation model sheets frequently have much greater detail than what gets animated... and just as the TV design was only slightly tweaked for Do You Remember Love?, the markings were largely unchanged as well:

queadluun-rau-lineart2.png

1 hour ago, tekering said:

Nah, animation model sheets frequently have much greater detail than what gets animated... and just as the TV design was only slightly tweaked for Do You Remember Love?, the markings were largely unchanged as well:

queadluun-rau-lineart2.png

I know there were markings for the tv version, but I’ve never seen them for the movie version in any previous artwork. But that’s not to say there wasn’t something I hadn’t seen. I’m just thinking it’s possible Hasegawa basically used these from the tv version and recolored them for the most part. I was just curious if there was any artwork or designs before this kit that show the movie version with markings 

20 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Just like the Hasegawa Regults, the Q-Rau is too tall for HMR

I would argue exactly the opposite.  The HMR Regults are demonstrably too small, so I use the Hasegawas for HMR displays.

The HMR Regults (and Glaug) scale much better with the Revoltech Valkyries. :good:

19 hours ago, derex3592 said:

The lazy guy in me wants to just buy this, slap it together, panel line it, flat coat it and call it a day. The model guy in me wants to wait to see if they do the TV version. 

I’ve always felt the movie versions should be gloss coated. The tv version though always seemed like it should be dull. That’s really just an odd personal belief though.

3 hours ago, Thom said:

I know the figure is '1/72' but about what size is she compared to either 1/8 or 1/12? On SSM it was noted that she looks to 'happy,' so I figure some 'fierce' alternate eye decals would suit better.

She looked rather happy when she was Swiss cheesing that dudes face, and chopping another dude in half and again while she was swishing another dudes head. She was kinda a psycho to be honest. She wasn’t satisfied just killing, she took pleasure in defiling their already dead corpses. Even when she was fighting max she had a bit of a smile going

Definitely getting this one! But the pictures of the cockpit remind me of the age old question…..where do her legs go? Even if they wanted to make a full figure I don’t see how she could “really” fit in the darn thing.🤷🏻‍♂️

Chris

3 hours ago, Dobber said:

Definitely getting this one! But the pictures of the cockpit remind me of the age old question…..where do her legs go? Even if they wanted to make a full figure I don’t see how she could “really” fit in the darn thing.🤷🏻‍♂️

Chris

The movie version has her legs in the backpack while the tv version they go into the upper legs

5 hours ago, Bolt said:

I have a feeling the Moscato version is still slightly taller. 

I’m pretty sure it is. His scaling usually ends up a bit bigger for the zentraedi while Hasegawa and others seem a bit too short to be realistic. Millia in the movie appears gigantic next to Max, while the millia in this kit will maybe be only three to four times his height. The mechanical illustrations have the zentraedi somewhere between those heights and the mecha itself looks a bit larger in those pictures than they do on screen. Zentraedi size is one of those things that are super hard to really figure out since on screen the mecha almost look the same height as a VF-1 battroid while the pilot on screen is exactly the same height as a VF-1 battroid making no logical sense. I’m personally just happy to see the Zentraedi mecha even a little taller than the battroid and I can at least try to believe in anime magic and super cramped pilots barely squeezing in

21 hours ago, Big s said:

Yeah, but I get the feeling that they’re trying to compete with hasegawa.

I don't think so. You're making an assumption from a Western bias, but understandably so. All of these company presidents get along with each other rather well and tell each other about their plans to do things. They really do not step on each others' toes. I worked at Aoshima in 2016. It was only for 8 months and I quit. I like the company, but the business manager was a total bosshole so I was one of many who quit. My team lead went on to form his own company, Rocket Models (does the Fist of War model series). My friend in the R&D department who was the one responsible for their 1:72 scale JGSDF series quit and went on to work for Hobby Japan, whom I do occasional translation work for. The jerk manager is long gone now, fortunately. Anyhow, he made it miserable for people for a while and being an American, I wasn't gonna put up with his crap when I could make better money teaching English. During the time I worked there though, I got to see firsthand how the companies interact with each other.

When I worked there, people from Hasegawa would come to visit. When I first started at Aoshima, I suggested that they do Crusher Joe and Dirty Pair model kits. I was told that Hasegawa already had plans for those properties. Then a few years later, Hasegawa came out with Crusher Joe kits, and then last year Dirty Pair. They let each other know what their plans are. I am certain that Max Watanabe talks with Mr. Hasegawa a lot and knows what they have coming down the pipeline. 

For a good example of how the model companies complement each other, look at the relationship between Arii and Imai's Macross kits from the '80s. Imai did a 1:72 scale Defender, so Arii made a 1:100 scale Defender. The two companies directly cooperated per the license and did not each make the same subject in the same scale. Their products were also advertised together side-by-side in magazine ads, etc. So while they "competed" with each other, they also cooperated with each other. Years ago when I was bugging the Hasegawa Macross guy (can't remember if it's the guy in the last picture on the left or not) to make a VF-4 Lightning III, he said that they had discussed making one but had decided not to. I'm pretty certain that he already knew that Wave had plans to make one, but wouldn't tell me. This is a very different philosophy from Western companies. The cohesion among the Japanese modeling companies is what helps them prosper together. Max Factory has a 1:72 scale Battroid, but it is decisively different from Hasegawa's, far more anime stylized. Wave's Valkyrie kits are in 1:100 scale. Bandai's Valkyries focus on the transformation gimmick.

The black sheep of the Japanese modeling companies is Fujimi. They have a rather American-style competitive philosophy. They deliberately step on others' toes. It's why you never see them at either the Shizuoka or Tokyo hobby shows. I've only seen them at Wonder Festival. Long ago, the 1:700 Waterline Series of ships was with Tamiya, Aoshima, Hasegawa, and Fujimi. Tamiya made a 1:700 scale Yamato battleship, and Fujimi wanted to make one too. This pissed Tamiya off and they were "voted off the island," so to speak. So although Fujimi is one of the several plastic model companies located in Shizuoka, they do their own thing. They directly compete against Aoshima's car models too. They do not honor the spirit of cooperation and instead focus on competition. 

5 hours ago, electric indigo said:

I still have not forgiven Aoshima for not making the Silent Moebius Spinner...

I asked Kaneda-san about that. It's been 5 years or so already. What gives? He said that he still wants to do it, but it's on the backburner. He's preoccupied with other stuff. Unless things have changed, he is also responsible for the company's pre-painted anime figures.

11 minutes ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

I would love one of those. So bummed the movies and series aren't available on bluray.

My friends attended a Silent Mobius event in Tokyo last weekend. I can ask them what news may have come from that. If you are talking about an English-language bluray release, then that would depend on the likes of Discotek to release.

19 minutes ago, SteveTheFish said:

My friends attended a Silent Mobius event in Tokyo last weekend. I can ask them what news may have come from that. If you are talking about an English-language bluray release, then that would depend on the likes of Discotek to release.

Yeah, hoping for a subtitled bluray release. I'm in the USA region.

Can I be the idiot in the thread who literally only today made the connection on releasing the milia quead and the max vf1s....

In my brain it was just the next battroid release...man I am dense sometimes. Love this dual type release!!

I'm happy to see new plastic kits being made of these classic designs like the Q-Rau, though one aspect I think Hasegawa really fumbles the ball in is surface detailing. Zentraedi weapons are (based on the information gleaned from watching the series) very old and seemingly crude but very reliable. The new movie Q-Rau plamo utterly fails to depict that. The missile hatches, sensor blobs and "greebly" bits all look like modern manufacturing: neat and clean. I believe something more akin to Soviet-era aircraft would be more fitting (buckled and ill-fitting panels, crude rivets, etc.) But I guess for the price, they have to cut corners somewhere.