Hi-Metal R

joppewo

On 7/29/2023 at 2:51 AM, twich said:

I think that it is really cool him standing next to the XB-70 Valkyrie with the VF-1J Valkyrie.  I wonder when this was taken?

I noticed in the thread talking about the Bandai DX Chogokin YF-21 that showed up at Otacon 2023 that in addition to the YF-21 and YF-19, they also had the Bandai Hi-Metal R VF-0S and the VF-4A.  Could this mean that Bandai is fixing to release the VF-4A under the WWM banner?  I would not mind picking up the VF-4A Hi Metal R, I have the VF-4G in Focker colors, and it is a good toy, but I would like the Hi-Metal R version to be available here, in the US at a US e-tailer.

Twich

Apparently it was taken when he was on the way to Otakon in DC- so just a few days ago. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, fifbeat said:

I just love the size of it, man! 😃 I wasn't expecting it to be this big! 

image.jpeg.17ca04f02d7aab4eff12e0657eb935a6.jpeg

The figure itself is outstanding but is it weird that I love that retro Takatoku-esque packaging?

1 hour ago, Raikkonen said:

Can we expect any new reveals of the upcoming Tamashi, or just the usual prototypes of the last few years... 

I keep hoping for some VF-1 stealth or low-vis... they're such no brainers... 

Keep the HMR M0 run going ...c'mon SV-51!! And also the VF-0S Armor!! And dare i say it, ghost set??

Hmm...Have a sneaky feeling the armor is going to be packaged with as a new VF-0S bundle.

8 hours ago, seti88 said:

Keep the HMR M0 run going ...c'mon SV-51!! And also the VF-0S Armor!! And dare i say it, ghost set??

Hmm...Have a sneaky feeling the armor is going to be packaged with as a new VF-0S bundle.

All 3 definite buys, likely x2 for the 1A with Ghost. 

SV-51 needs to be the green fodder as first release or Ivanov's as first releases... but knowing Bandai, it's gonna be Nora's... (Just not a fan of her colour).

If the 0S is being released with the armour, I'm wanting them to do it in a slightly toned down grey instead of that bright white. Like the VF-4. 

2 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

Question for everyone. How often do you transform your HMR and the joints and tabs still good after multiple transformations? 

Frankly, I'd love to know the same. I have transformed mine less than tree times each, and it's nowhere as easy as with my Arcadia's or DX. Sure is tighter than a Toynami, though.

Then of course I have gorilla hands and carpal tunnel as well, so maybe mine's not the average experience...

9 hours ago, Radioguy said:

Frankly, I'd love to know the same. I have transformed mine less than tree times each, and it's nowhere as easy as with my Arcadia's or DX. Sure is tighter than a Toynami, though.

Then of course I have gorilla hands and carpal tunnel as well, so maybe mine's not the average experience...

I have paino hands and it was a frustrating for me going from gerwalk to plane. Aligning the arms then getting all the tabs to click in followed by gently squeezing various points to seam out any gabs was a bit much. 

4 hours ago, vladykins said:

I occasionally pull some down to play with them and have never had joint problems. 

Good to read. 

12 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

Question for everyone. How often do you transform your HMR and the joints and tabs still good after multiple transformations? 

I transform my 1-A cannon fodder a bit and so far it’s holding up pretty well. No cracks or anything. My Yamato ones would have given up at the amount I’ve messed with this one. I don’t have too many Arcadia ones though.

15 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

Largely depends on the specific valk, but the TV Hikaru VF-1J is my "beater" HMR that I don't care too much about what condition it is in.  I've transformed it probably over two dozen times, and while it is notably looser than the others that I've only transformed a couple times, it still holds together well and can hold poses just fine in Gerwalk/Battroid.

On 8/19/2023 at 5:39 AM, Slave IV said:

That’s the great thing about having tons of basically the same toy in HMR, DX, Yamacadia or whatever form. I play with them whenever I want and usually have so many from each line that I don’t think I’ve ever worn one particular one down. 

I was down that Rabbit once in general collecting, but felt way better the moment I pulled myself out from it, flogged of my collection and liberated a lot of my mind from being owned of collecting so much. 

Edited by Raikkonen

2 hours ago, fenrir72 said:

Yamato is the runt of the pack!

Never had an issue with Yamato (Albeit, I never got any of the Macross Zero due to the alarms that went off daily). A friend of mine had the 1/48 low vis Yammy, and he transformed that thing endlessly daily, and after so many year, that thing still stands without issues. 

I have a DX VF-1J that I actually pulled from the box to put out on display.  I'm a box collector and this is a big deal for me.  The DX is just so beautiful that I had to get two copies - one for display, one for storage, and one...well, not there yet. 😉  Transformed it a couple of times, don't want to do it again.  But definitely take it down from time to time just to admire it.

19 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

I was down that Rabbit once in general collecting, but felt way better the moment I pulled myself out from it, flogged of my collection and liberated a lot of my mind from being owned of collecting so much. 

that means you gave up collecting lol.  Collecting's a lot like marriage, you're owned by it, and the minute you're not, you find yourself without a wife.

3 hours ago, MacrossMania said:

that means you gave up collecting lol.  Collecting's a lot like marriage, you're owned by it, and the minute you're not, you find yourself without a wife.

But I have a real wife. Why do I need another? 🤣

I didn't give up collecting. I just disconnected from obsessing with it. I was collecting too much of it from Hot Toys to Lego, every week more boxes. It wasn't a hobby anymore, it was purely a fix.

Now that I'm beyond that, I feel liberated and I fully enjoy the few pieces I get once in while. The VF-0D was my first in almost 2 years. 

And don't get me started on how much easier it is to move homes and the cardboard space now available. 😂

I haven't bought a lot to begin with.  But I get you.  I'm feeling like I'm spending a lot of time chasing the item and not spending any time enjoying the item.  I got my DX VF-25 Revival Alto weeks ago and I haven't even taken it out of the box to check it out yet.  Kinda makes me think "what am I doing?" 

I'm trying to focus more on the Hi-Metal R line now as it offers more of a variety with the Destroids and Enemy mecha.  It also helps that it is a lot easier to store.  I personally find them better to play with than the larger more detailed offerings.

Edited by DewPoint

1 hour ago, DewPoint said:

I'm trying to focus more on the Hi-Metal R line now as it offers more of a variety with the Destroids and Enemy mecha.  It also helps that it is a lot easier to store.  I personally find them better to play with than the larger more detailed offerings.

Me, it's cost and space, and I tend to think that's true for most who go all in on HMR.

If I had the money and space, it would be DX for all, and for the original series, I really try to make that happen. However, I have opted for HMR in the meantime, and especially for Zero and Frontier, etc. Might I sell off my HMRs one day? It's not impossible if I do get all the larger scale ones I want, but I still think I'd want to keep some.

I should add that when you have large hands, like me, HMR can be a chore to transform compared to Arcadia or DX, so that IS another factor for me too.

21 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

Never had an issue with Yamato (Albeit, I never got any of the Macross Zero due to the alarms that went off daily). A friend of mine had the 1/48 low vis Yammy, and he transformed that thing endlessly daily, and after so many year, that thing still stands without issues. 

May Garland shoulder joint just broke off after staring at it. My VF1S DYRL (shoulder buster....Graham sent me replacement parts) connecting port below the cockpit won't lock in anymore. So 2x is enough for me. My Quadlum Rao(re-issue) and VF-0S Phoenix no issues so kind of an even score but soured my views on Yamato Macross mecha.

1 minute ago, fenrir72 said:

May Garland shoulder joint just broke off after staring at it. My VF1S DYRL (shoulder buster....Graham sent me replacement parts) connecting port below the cockpit won't lock in anymore. So 2x is enough for me. My Quadlum Rao(re-issue) and VF-0S Phoenix no issues so kind of an even score but soured my views on Yamato Macross mecha.

That's painful to read. I feel for you!!! I've only owned the 1/60 v1 from early 2000, which I sold, the VF-1's 1/48, and also sold those, and basically kept a few of the1/60 VF-1 V2 last run before rebranded as Arcadia. 

6 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

I didn't give up collecting. I just disconnected from obsessing with it. I was collecting too much of it from Hot Toys to Lego, every week more boxes. It wasn't a hobby anymore, it was purely a fix.

Now that I'm beyond that, I feel liberated and I fully enjoy the few pieces I get once in while. The VF-0D was my first in almost 2 years. 

And don't get me started on how much easier it is to move homes and the cardboard space now available. 😂

6 hours ago, DewPoint said:

I haven't bought a lot to begin with.  But I get you.  I'm feeling like I'm spending a lot of time chasing the item and not spending any time enjoying the item.  I got my DX VF-25 Revival Alto weeks ago and I haven't even taken it out of the box to check it out yet.  Kinda makes me think "what am I doing?" 

I see quite a bit of myself here and am at the stage of trying to free myself a little. Too much obsession with collecting, FOMO, and the dopamine high when purchasing & receiving packages but not enough time spent on enjoying. There's was also the fear of being away from the collection for long periods of time; an invisible chain tying me down. So I started to sell my collection extras, very anxiously at first to see how I would personally handle it, and the good news is that I don't miss them at all!

The next stage would probably be selling the only copies of items I have, which will entail a hard look at what I really want to keep. That would require quite some mental fortitude. :unsure:

Definitely in the same spot, and I need to start thinning down what I hold onto.  I have a lot of duplicates acquired just from the sheer nonsense of trying to make sure I get a single copy during pre-orders, and some specific cases like the VF-171s that I ordered multiples of just to make it more likely that I'd get one good one out of the bunch :p 

The HMRs are dangerous though, and it's really easy to justify multiples, since they're so much smaller.  It falls into the same sort of logic as "if they have half the calories, I can eat twice as many, right?" :lol: 

Edited by Chronocidal

15 hours ago, DewPoint said:

I got my DX VF-25 Revival Alto weeks ago and I haven't even taken it out of the box to check it out yet.  Kinda makes me think "what am I doing?" 

This was my turning point. Well, this, and discovering things I forgot about sealed in shipping boxes in my cardboard. 

8 hours ago, MKT said:

I see quite a bit of myself here and am at the stage of trying to free myself a little. Too much obsession with collecting, FOMO, and the dopamine high when purchasing & receiving packages but not enough time spent on enjoying. There's was also the fear of being away from the collection for long periods of time; an invisible chain tying me down. So I started to sell my collection extras, very anxiously at first to see how I would personally handle it, and the good news is that I don't miss them at all!

The next stage would probably be selling the only copies of items I have, which will entail a hard look at what I really want to keep. That would require quite some mental fortitude. :unsure:

I wish you the best, I know it's tough. 

6 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

The HMRs are dangerous though, and it's really easy to justify multiples, since they're so much smaller.  It falls into the same sort of logic as "if they have half the calories, I can eat twice as many, right?" :lol: 

Well, after getting my first ever HMR, the 0D last week, and even though the Gerwalk to plane transformation wasn't the best of experiences, I am considering of flogging my remaining Yammies bar one of the Focker low vis, as well my Evas, and perhaps focus on HMR, but only those on releases prices... no ways I'm tracking back to ebay pitfalls. 

Edited by Raikkonen

15 hours ago, DewPoint said:

8 hours ago, MKT said:

Yeah I buy a lot less than I did way back when. It's not an income issue as I make a lot more now than I did 10 years ago. I think you just reach a point where you're like "why the heck do I have 3-4-5-6 copies of such and such valk?!"

Over the years I've found that I get the most fun out of fixing these toys up the best I can; basically what I wish they were "out of the box" considering how expensive some of these toys are. I think the PF editions of the 0D, YF-19, and VF-4A are the only valks I've bought that I've been 100% satisfied with without adding any additional work of my own.

9 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Over the years I've found that I get the most fun out of fixing these toys up the best I can; basically what I wish they were "out of the box" considering how expensive some of these toys are. I think the PF editions of the 0D, YF-19, and VF-4A are the only valks I've bought that I've been 100% satisfied with without adding any additional work of my own.

What are your plans for this new 0D? Just paint and decals, or other adjustments?

19 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

Everybody cleans house a few times.  Sounds like you really unloaded.  It happens.  Sometimes guys just divest themselves of their collections and walk away.  Sometimes they just downsize like you did.  Whatever floats your boat.  I'll bet you  made your wife happy though. 🤣