Macross Δ (Delta) - announcement thread

renegadeleader1

No it was a Hollywood production intended for a global audience.

That's very interesting. Like Dynaman, I always assumed that it was going to be a Japanese live-action film. From a business standpoint, making it in Hollywood for a global audience was probably the best course of action.

I wonder if hard copies of the script still exist anywhere...

Big West's archives would probably be the most likely place. When licensed projects fold, the copyrighted materials made are generally given to the licensor (Big West) since the licensee no longer has any lawful right to them.

Well, yeah... But there are a lot of places in Hollywood that sell scripts (or at least, there used to be). I once found the Sam Hamm script for Watchmen in a musty old shop... I wonder if any copies of the Macross script found their way into places like that.

Although, honestly, if they had, I'd assume that someone would've already found it and put it online.

That's very interesting. Like Dynaman, I always assumed that it was going to be a Japanese live-action film. From a business standpoint, making it in Hollywood for a global audience was probably the best course of action.

Big West's archives would probably be the most likely place. When licensed projects fold, the copyrighted materials made are generally given to the licensor (Big West) since the licensee no longer has any lawful right to them.

Not exactly true - a licensee may no longer have rights to distribute what they create but the extra bit they created is THEIRS - if the licensor wants the stuff they will have to pay the licensee to get access to it.

That little bit of script shown above is enough to prove we dodged a bullet with that live action film...

Back to Delta, singing contest end of January if I remember correctly?

One possible source for the David Newman's Macross international movie script would be Leslie Newman, wife and

co-writer. I'm not sure if she would be willing to sell the Macross script or share it publicly.

Maybe, Gubaba can track her down and do an interview podcast with her to see if she remembers anything about this

obscure Macross script?

Any singing contenders for the Macross Delta series?

Any singing contenders for the Macross Delta series?

Not sure. We don't know if there will be another singer like Frontier or if it's a solo act. I'm sure they are starting to have an idea of who they want out of the ones they've gotten. But auditions are still open so they may get a last minute applicant. Those of us who have been the job interviewer know how much of a process this can be.

One possible source for the David Newman's Macross international movie script would be Leslie Newman, wife and

co-writer. I'm not sure if she would be willing to sell the Macross script or share it publicly.

Maybe, Gubaba can track her down and do an interview podcast with her to see if she remembers anything about this

obscure Macross script?

Hmmm... Something to consider, definitely... Thanks for the tip!

What extra bit are you referring to?

Well, while I don't know any specifics on the Macross Movie, I DO know of a good example of the situatio from video games.

Pac-Man Jr was created by Williams, before Namco revoked their license.

Namco does not own Pac-Man Jr. It belongs entirely to Williams.

Williams, however, does not own the Pac-Man brand. All rights to it reside solely with Namco.

Neither company can port, reissue, remake, or do anything else with Pac-Man Jr unless both companies can come to a mutual agreement.

No one has, and they aren't likely to ever do so. *

I imagine similar issues would plague the Macross Movie script.

*(Tangentally, this is not a problem with the Williams-created Ms. Pac-Man because Williams gave it to Namco. Basically, Namco got pissed that they were making unauthorized sequels in the form of Ms Pac-Man, so they transferred the rights to Namco as an appeasement so they could continue licensing the Pac-brand. Williams then proceeded to continue making Pac-Man sequels until Namco cancelled the license "for real this time" . So Namco owns Ms. Pac-Man, even though they didn't make it.)

Pac-Man Jr was created by Williams, before Namco revoked their license.

Namco does not own Pac-Man Jr. It belongs entirely to Williams.

It shouldn't belong "entirely" to Williams. The previously copyrighted materials (ie: prexisting characters), such as Inky, are still the property of Namco. Only the original portions, such as the character of Jr. Pac-Man, can be owned by Williams. This case is a good example of what I'm referring to here.

I imagine similar issues would plague the Macross Movie script.

Exactly.

Hmmm... Something to consider, definitely... Thanks for the tip!

If you could pull that off I'd be VERY interested in what she had to say.

Back on topic, singing casting should provide interesting details but not being an idol fan the story and valks are really more my thing.

Edited by Mommar

It shouldn't belong "entirely" to Williams. The previously copyrighted materials (ie: prexisting characters), such as Inky, are still the property of Namco. Only the original portions, such as the character of Jr. Pac-Man, can be owned by Williams. This case is a good example of what I'm referring to here.

Exactly.

That was what I meant. Sorry for the unclarity.

The game itself is Williams's, but since they don't own the trademarks or characters(aside from Jr), they can't do anything with it. Well, they could replace all the sprites and change the title screen and sell it as ORIGINAL MAZE GAME PIZZABEANIE., but... why?

I believe that is actually pretty much how Donkey Kong came into existence. The game was supposed to be Popeye climbing the girders while avoiding Bluto and reaching Olive, but Nintendo couldn't secure the Popeye licence somehow and so Gumpei Yokoi changed the sprites and brought the game out anyway.

I believe that is actually pretty much how Donkey Kong came into existence. The game was supposed to be Popeye climbing the girders while avoiding Bluto and reaching Olive, but Nintendo couldn't secure the Popeye licence somehow and so Gumpei Yokoi changed the sprites and brought the game out anyway.

Yup.

Megaman started life as an Astro Boy tie-in before Capcom failed to get that license, too. It seems somewhat backwards to make the game before the license, but... I guess it worked for them?

In a final twist, Nintendo DID successfully secure the Popeye license after getting Donkey Kong ready, and so next year they made, well, Popeye.

Yeah, I remember the Game and Watch Popeye most of all. I didn't know that about Megaman, though! Wow, it's sort of cool that we ended up with what we did, though, because this allowed original IPs like Mario and Megaman to blossom into classic franchises on their own, while avoiding the licensing headaches that would have occurred otherwise.

Yup.Megaman started life as an Astro Boy tie-in before Capcom failed to get that license, too. It seems somewhat backwards to make the game before the license, but... I guess it worked for them?In a final twist, Nintendo DID successfully secure the Popeye license after getting Donkey Kong ready, and so next year they made, well, Popeye.

Wait what?!?

Hmm...

Ok, I can kinda see it... So dr. Kintobor/robotnik is actually dr. Elephant?!?

Well, Thomas Romain (who works for Satelite and has previously been involved with titles such as Basquash, confirmed on twitter yesterday that Kawamori is involved with mecha designs.

post-9325-0-02776200-1421719509_thumb.jpg

As for more news tho, and this is purely speculation on my part, I'm expecting the first news that will drop will be the announcement of the winner of the idol auditions and Im not expecting that until April-ish.

I think we are still a long ways out on getting much more solid information yet, unfortunately.

The show is still a ways off.

I think it was pretty much a given that Kawamori would be doing the mecha designs. I don't know about anybody else, but it never even crossed my mind that there was a possibility that someone else would do the mecha designs.

Graham

• 3 weeks later...

"Marianne" posted a few messages on the Macrosshare blog about her experiences

in auditioning for the Macross Delta singer roles. This might be Macross Delta news.

8 feb 15, 07:59

Marianne: The auditions for the upcoming Macross series entitled "Macross Delta" ever since last month and thanks for all your help.

Marianne: The auditions for the upcoming Macross series entitled "Macross Delta" is finished ever since last month and thanks for all your help.

Marianne: I'm finished singing for the auditions of the upcoming Macross series entitled "Macross Delta" and thanks for all your support.

Marianne: Next month, we will unveiled the winner for the auditions of the upcoming Macross series entitled "Macross Delta" so please wait for it.

I don't know Marianne, unless she goes by another Macross World name. I think she must have mistaken me for

someone else because I don't remember helping anybody out for singing considering that I am not a good singer.

Maybe, I might have said to someone in the past for singing advice, "Sing exactly the way I don't."