NEW MACROSS TV SERIES ANNOUNCED!

Tochiro

I don't believe that fans necessarily think of Isamu as NOT around after the events of 2040AD. It's just that we don't see any of the Macross Plus story after the events in the OVA/Film, so there's a natural audience tendency to accept that story line - and all it's characters - as finished. Even though we all understand that the surviving character's lives - hopefully - will continue for a long while, narratively we tend to think of the story as dead; and by extension, we tend to think of the characters as narratively dead (they had happy lives afterward, raised children, had a husband/wife, died of old age). So when we see a beloved character again from an old story that was last left finished to our knowledge, we naturally feel surprise. We might say to ourselves; "Oh, they're still around?!? That's nice to know".

:)

Edited by Mr March

I don't believe that fans necessarily think of Isamu as NOT around after the events of 2040AD. It's just that we don't see any of the Macross Plus story after the events in the OVA/Film, so there's a natural audience tendency to accept that story line - and all it's characters - as finished. Even though we all understand that the surviving character's lives - hopefully - will continue for a long while, narratively we tend to think of the story as dead; and by extension, we tend to think of the characters as narratively dead (they had happy lives afterward, raised children, had a husband/wife, died of old age). So when we see a beloved character again from an old story that was last left finished to our knowledge, we naturally feel surprise. We might say to ourselves; "Oh, they're still around?!? That's nice to know".

You phrased this way better than I probably ever could have :D

+1

So when we see a beloved character again from an old story that was last left finished to our knowledge, we naturally feel surprise. We might say to ourselves; "Oh, they're still around?!? That's nice to know".

Maybe that's why so many are not satisfied with how the fate of the crew of the Megaroad was handled.....seeing Isamu doing what he seems to have always loved to do...flying...was cool.........they should have left it how it ended in Flashback 2012....no need to say that the UNS "lost contact" with them.....it's funny how fans care for fictional characters.....but I guess the way the story now goes....is kind of like a friend or family member gone missing and you never find out their fate......it would bother you....

Maybe that's why so many are not satisfied with how the fate of the crew of the Megaroad was handled.....seeing Isamu doing what he seems to have always loved to do...flying...was cool.........they should have left it how it ended in Flashback 2012....no need to say that the UNS "lost contact" with them.....it's funny how fans care for fictional characters.....but I guess the way the story now goes....is kind of like a friend or family member gone missing and you never find out their fate......it would bother you....

It is pretty much this as you stated regarding Megaroad.

One thing they could have done was due to time dilation and the colony fleet somehow pushed so far no one can follow that they would instead get intermittent progress reports from them saying "All is fine. And look how well our family is doing now..." spaced into longer and longer time periods into the future well into the end of the franchise if need be. Or something like that.

I'm sure fans would mostly be fine with this.

Somehow someone had to get into a huff about being repeatedly asked about the fate of Megaroad and just said "They disappeared, no more contact. Canon"

One thing they could have done was due to time dilation and the colony fleet somehow pushed so far no one can follow that they would instead get intermittent progress reports from them saying "All is fine. And look how well our family is doing now..." spaced into longer and longer time periods into the future well into the end of the franchise if need be. Or something like that.

As long as they didn't get all "Voices of a Distant Star" on us, and we're still getting messages saying they're fine long after they aren't...

Edited by Nekko Basara

I'd just like to see the same SDF Macrsoss Story, Same Mecha, Same Everything, just the modern animation quality like frontier.

As someone who has never seen the original series and finds it abit too old to hold my attention (same problem as many new Gundam viewers) that would be great. Kinda like the whole Gundam Origin deal (Macross Origin :D although technically Gundam Origin covers more than the original series)

I predict the new series will be a 13-episode remake of the original series.

Followed by Macross 7-2. Which is just 52 episodes of Planet Dance on a loop.

There we go. Now we've set the bar low enough that no one can be disappointed by whatever comes next.

As someone who has never seen the original series and finds it abit too old to hold my attention (same problem as many new Gundam viewers) that would be great. Kinda like the whole Gundam Origin deal (Macross Origin :D although technically Gundam Origin covers more than the original series)

It's interesting to know we have some newer fans here who are interested in the older material and that there is actually a potential audience who could use a freshened up version of the original. A lot of the old-timers think it doesn't need to happen and/or there's no reason to but you're one person who proves that wrong (plus I hate the old animation at this point as well.)

I think FB7 already had that covered.

No, I'm pretty sure I heard Totsugeki Love Heart in there once or twice. It didn't hit Peak Planet Dance Potential. :p

Yeah, it was pretty disappointing. But it COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE.

Edited by JB0

It's interesting to know we have some newer fans here who are interested in the older material and that there is actually a potential audience who could use a freshened up version of the original. A lot of the old-timers think it doesn't need to happen and/or there's no reason to but you're one person who proves that wrong (plus I hate the old animation at this point as well.)

See my first experience with Macross where small Battletech miniatures of the Glaug and I was disappointed that it wasn't a Timberwolf. Then there was Macross 7. I watched SDF:M and DYRL afterwards and I have no interest in more VF-1 Valkyries except more Arcadia releases.

I want new mecha, new music, new love triangles and a female pilot as main protagonist!

I predict the new series will be a 13-episode remake of the original series.

Followed by Macross 7-2. Which is just 52 episodes of Planet Dance on a loop.

There we go. Now we've set the bar low enough that no one can be disappointed by whatever comes next.

LOL, invert that and we may have something...

i was thinking about this just now. do we think (and are we looking for), something that will grasp hold of our attention and imagination the way the original (or whichever got you into macross .. i'm assuming for most it was sdfm or dyrl) did? i'm not sure that is at all possible and have it stay within the macross universe. OR, are we looking for something that is ":good enough" that will supplement our love for the macross universe. my hope is we will get something like the former but there are two thing working against that. 1. We aren't as impressionable as we were 2. How can it be so different (ti would have to be i think) and still be macross?

also where would one find any new info/speculation on this topic...other than here. haha

I would settle for a more mature Macross like Macross Plus or Macross Zero.

No Moe, a darker feel and a main protagonist like Shin, Isamu or even Leon from Mac30.

Edited by Duymon

I would repost my Megaroad plot idea, but I don't want to go through 24 pages just to recycle a joke.

Anyways, what I've always wanted to see in Macross is a harem comedy series centered around a incredibly popular and attractive male Idol singer who is secretly a massive otaku, and all the fan-service heavy misadventures that occur as his glasses wearing manager, his tomboy female roady, his big breasted meltran stacker fan-girl, his Tsundere female Idol singer rival, the all female SMS squadron assigned to protect his concert tour, the female nuns pilots that are stationed on the colony ship that the show takes place on, and his adorable younger step-sister all compete with each other to get at his junk.

Edited by anime52k8

Anyways, what I've always wanted to see in Macross is a harem comedy series...

Is this what kids are watching these days? Oh wait, that's what I use to watch... Curse you romantic comedies!

I would repost my Megaroad plot idea, but I don't want to go through 24 pages just to recycle a joke.

Anyways, what I've always wanted to see in Macross is a harem comedy series centered around a incredibly popular and attractive male Idol singer who is secretly a massive otaku, and all the fan-service heavy misadventures that occur as his glasses wearing manager, his tomboy female roady, his big breasted meltran stacker fan-girl, his Tsundere female Idol singer rival, the all female SMS squadron assigned to protect his concert tour, the female nuns pilots that are stationed on the colony ship that the show takes place on, and his adorable younger step-sister all compete with each other to get at his junk.

I think the women from the SMS squadron should all come from a pure Meltrandi fleet that have never seen a man before flying VF-11MAXL inspired Valkyries. :)

If we're recycling jokes, I'll just say that there's no reason the AKB0048 universe and the Macross universe couldn't be rolled into one. An idol singer squadron is the way of the next series. Look into your heart... you know it too be true ;-)

What's the point of Hikaru without Arihiro Hase?

Can't be that difficult to find a voice actor who sounds similar or who can change his voice to sound just the same.

Not that it isn't sad that he killed himself at age 31.

Edited by YF-29 Durandal

All that song energy in one place is just begging for a Protodevilin attack. Akibastar is gonna be ground zero for the apocalypse.

Unless we get some transformable Jaegers in there to cancel it. Piloted with guitars, of course.

If they redo Space War 1, I want to see it from a different perspective. Let the old crew have bit parts and cameos, sure... but I'd rather see a NEW story.

I'd actually like to see it from a destroid pilot's PoV, but fat chance of that.

I'd be down for a retelling of space war 1 as well but I would worry that a different perspective on those events would be really tricky for an entire series. It seems like too much of the war's progression is dependent on the actions of the protagonists from the first series. I would also wonder if a move like that would tweak all our timelines as we know them. Would the ASS-1 crash in 2020?

Well, that's why I said "if".

Even if they kept the same timeline, I'm sure they'd modernize the tech so, for example, instead of roving robotic phone booths, they had holographic cellphones. You know, something that made sense for a world where technology rapidly accelerated after 1999.

I LIKE the retro-futurism, so I'd be sad to see it go.

That said, just because another crew wasn't critical to the course of the war doesn't mean they don't have compelling stories of their own.

Though if you REALLY wanted to be terrible, you'd make it about one of those destroid crews that dies. The last scene of the last episode would be that crushed destroid being trucked down the streets that passes Hikaru, Max, and Kakizaki.

Actually, that'd be kind of awesome now that I think about it. Horrible, but awesome.