Just finished watching the Rising. Very well done murder mystery where the ghost is trying to find her killer. Some great acting all around. I'd wish for a season two, but this kind of story is pretty much a 'one-n-dun.'

Spoiler

I sod wish her interactions with those who can see her was more ghost-like, but that's my only real quibble.

On 8/22/2023 at 1:32 PM, Old_Nash_II said:

From the mind of Visionary

I've said it elsewhere, but I'll say it again. This trailer has to be one of the most generic looking things I have ever seen. Might as well have called it...

Chronicles of Star Dune Episode 1: Return of the Avatar Riddick and the Rings of Jupiter Ascending.😝

1 hour ago, renegadeleader1 said:

I've said it elsewhere, but I'll say it again. This trailer has to be one of the most generic looking things I have ever seen. Might as well have called it...

Chronicles of Star Dune Episode 1: Return of the Avatar Riddick and the Rings of Jupiter Ascending.😝

To be fair, that describes almost every trailer for every TV or movie out there.;)

That being said, Chronicles of Star Dune sounds pretty exciting!:D

Edited by Thom

2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Completed THE EXPANSE on Prime last night. What a great f'ing series!! One of the best space sci-fi series I've watched in a long time. A nice departure from the over familiarity of Star Trek and Star Wars.

I hope it makes a return in some way in the future. A Serenity/Firefly type of of movie would be cool!

There's a Telltale game, though I forget if it's out already or still upcoming.

2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Completed THE EXPANSE on Prime last night. What a great f'ing series!! One of the best space sci-fi series I've watched in a long time. A nice departure from the over familiarity of Star Trek and Star Wars.

I hope it makes a return in some way in the future. A Serenity/Firefly type of of movie would be cool!

As kajnrig mentioned the story is expanded on in Telltales The Expanse, it's in-canon with the show and the show's cast return to their roles for the game, it's really good. Telltale are the ones that make the point and click adventures, not much commitment, not much skill or real gameplay involved, it's mostly an evolving story where you get to choose the major beats, once again highly recommended. 

22 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

There's a Telltale game, though I forget if it's out already or still upcoming.

Still releasing episodes, at a much better rate than their previous games, Telltale did a good job with this one. 

9 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

As kajnrig mentioned the story is expanded on in Telltales The Expanse, it's in-canon with the show and the show's cast return to their roles for the game, it's really good. Telltale are the ones that make the point and click adventures, not much commitment, not much skill or real gameplay involved, it's mostly an evolving story where you get to choose the major beats, once again highly recommended. 

Still releasing episodes, at a much better rate than their previous games, Telltale did a good job with this one. 

I've played the Telltale Walking Dead 1 & 2 games several years ago and they were really good. Maybe I'll check out THE EXPANSE games but I think it needs more, like a movie, spin-off series or heck... an anime :)

4 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

One of the best things about it is how real the tech appears. Except for the drive system, I could imagine us building those ships either right now or just a few decades on. I would love to see a series with the breath of Star Trek but using more science based tech rather than overly fictionized.

On 9/7/2023 at 11:20 AM, TangledThorns said:

Gave Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities on Netflix a go but stopped after first episode. It was so predictable and contrived that it made my brain hurt.

Guillermo del Toro is a decent director but tbh I really think his work is over-hyped.

That's totally fair. I myself really like his body horror stuff, and wish he'd stick with it more often.

Also, IIRC he didn't direct any of the Cabinet shorts, those were other directors. Kinda sucks because I think a lot of the subject matter would be right up his alley.

EDIT:

I remember rather liking episode 3, The Autopsy. The rest are hit or miss, but I remember that one being an overall banger.

Edited by kajnrig

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

That's totally fair. I myself really like his body horror stuff, and wish he'd stick with it more often.

Also, IIRC he didn't direct any of the Cabinet shorts, those were other directors. Kinda sucks because I think a lot of the subject matter would be right up his alley.

EDIT:

I remember rather liking episode 3, The Autopsy. The rest are hit or miss, but I remember that one being an overall banger.

If I remember right all the stories were by different creators and he was just producing it to help them out. 
my favorite Del Toro projects are the ones that are over the top in the creative department. Even a kinda by the numbers film like Don’t be Afraid of the Dark captures my attention in the odd over detailing. There’s a scene in that movie with the kid in the bed, but it’s the most over sculpted bed that easily could’ve been a simple bed with a basic headboard, but it’s like staring into a never ending forest of lines and swirls that just didn’t need to be there, but I’m so glad it was

7 hours ago, Bolt said:

Been enjoying Gamera: Rebirth. The animation is pretty good. If you don't mind the Polygon style. Though I believe its Studio ENGI. 

Yeah, Gamera is good and also waaaaay better than the other Godzilla anime series on Netflix. Gamera succeeds because it actually has plenty of Gamera action in it where as the Godzilla anime series barely had any of the title character, especially Singular Point. Singular Point should have been titled "JET JAGUAR" tbh.

Yeah I watched the whole Gamera series and it's what I wanted from any of the Netflix Godzilla series, it's pretty fantastic. The Godzilla CG movie trilogy was awful, part 1 was okay I guess, the other two were really bad especially part 3 with "Ghidorah", and Singular Point had some decent kaiju action, but also way, way, way, way too much science techno-babble nonsense, it was also pretty bad. 

Ya, I'd have to agree with you both there. The Godzilla trilogy was quite a disappointment, definitely not enough Godzilla action. Too bad, it was an interesting idea. And Singular point , again another interesting take, but didn't really keep me hooked at all. 

Just a reminder that you are not paying Daddy Bezos enough.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/22/media/amazon-prime-video-ads/index.html

New York CNN  — 

Amazon is joining other streaming services and inserting ads into its programming.

Beginning next year, shows and movies on its Prime Video service will “include limited advertisements,” the company announced Friday. Amazon’s change brings it in line with its rivals, like Netflix and Max, adding ad-supported tiers as companies search for additional revenue.

9 hours ago, azrael said:

Just a reminder that you are not paying Daddy Bezos enough.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/22/media/amazon-prime-video-ads/index.html

9 hours ago, azrael said:

Beginning next year, shows and movies on its Prime Video service will “include limited advertisements,” the company announced Friday.

Haven't they already been inserting ads into their videos? I don't have Prime myself, but my brother does and I could swear I've seen the occasional ad whenever he's watching on the PS5 in the living room.