1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

Haven't they already been inserting ads into their videos? I don't have Prime myself, but my brother does and I could swear I've seen the occasional ad whenever he's watching on the PS5 in the living room.

The article mentions it’s been on a limited phase but starting next year, it will be rolled out to all markets on the low tier subscriptions.

14 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Trailers are just too long these days...

They more often than not give too much away, leaving little in the way of surprises. Too, I've found some trailers to be more enticing than the actual films. I feel that way about The Creator, for which I had a strong enthusiasm although the film left me feeling somewhat underwhelmed, at least story-wise. The visuals were lovely, though. Kudos to ILM and Weta Workshop.

On 10/15/2023 at 8:28 AM, Big s said:

I’ve seen both on YouTube, but it seems like it took a while for them to do much other than YouTube 

On 10/15/2023 at 9:00 AM, Old_Nash_II said:

HUm.. I don't know that, thanks to tell me

I only saw the pilot of Hazbin and the Helluva Boss

I must have passed right by

Hazbin Hotel got picked up for a full season right after its pilot aired. So it was on hiatus until it was to be released on Prime. Helluva Boss has been having new eps made regularly and is pretty much in it's second season on Youtube. 

Side note: The cast for Hazbin has been recast, so it's not the same VAs from the pilot. Otherwise same writers and art style, so take that as you will.

The Fall Of The House Of Usher.. woah!

The dark subject was a lot to take in. But i loved the Poe references and the social commentary. 
Not for the faint of heart, but well done.

The acting was great. And I especially loved Mark Hamill. 

On 10/25/2023 at 8:21 PM, Bolt said:

The Fall Of The House Of Usher.. woah!

The dark subject was a lot to take in. But i loved the Poe references and the social commentary. 
Not for the faint of heart, but well done.

The acting was great. And I especially loved Mark Hamill. 

Agree! My wife and I just watched it last weekend and we both really enjoyed it. I'm definitely planning on watching the other Mike Flanagan shows on Netflix based on the works of classic horror writers: The Haunting of Hill House and The Haunting of Bly Manor.

In the meantime, I just finished watching Mech Cadets on Netflix. Given the rather generic title, I expected another trope-ridden, poorly written anime-wannabe show, but it was much better than I thought it'd be. The animation looks a little shaky/stilted at first, to me anyway, but seems to smooth out as I watch it. The show definitely has some good representation with the majority of the characters of non-white ethnicity and well animated as such. Too, the voice cast is also ethnically diverse to match their characters. While the main story arc revolves around the typical mecha vs kaiju dynamic, the main draw of the show has to do with the relationships between characters and their motivations. There's a little more to it than that, but I don't wanna spoil it. Anyway, I thought the writing and delivery of the dialog was really well-done with a decent, if a bit overused, plot. I hope it gets a second season.

After finishing Mech Cadets, I started watching another new release on Netflix, an anime called Pluto, which I'm really enjoying. Again, superb writing, interesting characters, and an interesting plot all conspire to make it a compelling watch, IMHO. I'm only three eps in (eps are about an hour long) and I'm hooked. My understanding is that it takes place within the Astro Boy Universe, but it seems to be its own thing with characters animated in typical realistic style rather than the toony AB style. It's essentially a murder mystery set in a world where robots are quite advanced, some nigh indistinguishable from humans, where seven of the most advanced robots as well as human advocates of robots are systematically being killed in a particular fashion and one of those seven robots is the detective assigned to the case. Great watch so far.

1 hour ago, M'Kyuun said:

Agree! My wife and I just watched it last weekend and we both really enjoyed it. I'm definitely planning on watching the other Mike Flanagan shows on Netflix based on the works of classic horror writers: The Haunting of Hill House and The Haunting of Bly Manor.

Don't forget Midnight Mass, I think it's on Netflix. Oh and Gerald's Game, after Stephen King's novel, is pretty good, too.

21 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Don't forget Midnight Mass, I think it's on Netflix. Oh and Gerald's Game, after Stephen King's novel, is pretty good, too.

Gerald's Game I've seen (and read), but yeah, I neglected to add Midnight Mass to my previous post. I'm planning on watching it, too. Seems Mike Flanagan has a real talent for translating written works, taking elements from various stories by a writer, and incorporating them in a compelling and fitting manner. I think it'd be interesting if he did something Lovecraftian or based on the works of H.G. Wells, although horror seems to be more to Mr. Flanagan's interest. Still, I'd love to see him venture into sci-fi.

Speaking of which, I'll recommend Tales from the Loop on Prime inspired by the artwork of Simon Stalenhag. I was unfamiliar with Stalenhag's work until stumbling upon this show, but the latter intrigued me sufficiently to research the former, and I found both to be quite enjoyable. While the directors/production team did an amazing job of realizing and implementing elements of Stalenhag's art throughout the episodes, it's the depth of the human stories told throughout the show that make it stand out still in my mind.  I highly recommend giving it a watch. On a side note, Mr. Stalenhag has published other art, and I'd love to see a continuation of this series if the prod values and writing remain on par.

10 minutes ago, azrael said:

That is why we're cutting back on streaming, it's ridiculous that prices increased so much in the past year.

On a side note you may be able to save $$ through cashback and/or offers on your credit card. For example I get 6% cashback for streaming plus $25 redeemed for spending over $99 on MAX via a annual subscription renewal on my AMEX Blue Cash card.

Edited by TangledThorns