Star Wars Rebels - animated series

Such promise at the start of the season squandered. I actually deleted this week's episode before finishing it. Note for show writers and producers, heroes that can get out of ANY predicament (except where plot requires they not do so) are boring - even for kids.

To bad, the last 5 - 10 seconds of this episode where really good and opened up what may become an interesting arc. I thought the whole episode was good enough but I really enjoyed the ending.

Chris

To bad, the last 5 - 10 seconds of this episode where really good and opened up what may become an interesting arc. I thought the whole episode was good enough but I really enjoyed the ending.

Chris

I liked the human lawn dart part, and I was expecting the warm/Glowing rock to be the monsters egg/Baby.

I'm still enjoying Rebels. My son and I typically watch it together each weekend.

He grew up watching the Clone Wars cartoon, so it's great that Rebels is bring back some of the Clone Wars characters such as Ahsoka and Rex.

We're kinda dreading an end of season finale confrontation between Ahsoka and Vader, in case Ahsoka dies.

• 4 weeks later...

Disappointing, like the rest of Rebels.

I loathe the Darth Maul retcon as much as I do the movie he was actually killed in.

Malachor and no mention of Revan? Fail.

Sabercopters.... yeah, just no.

They still don't have the balls to have Vader kill Ashoka.

The TFA cross saber Easter egg is nowhere near as interesting as Filoni thinks it is.

Ezra blindly trusts a Sith, already knowing all the death and destruction they've wreaked on the Galaxy and his friends. Yeah, ok, that's logical.

And we still have the issue of Jedi taking part in the Rebellion. They might not be Knights, but they are Jedi. They both have to die in the not too distant future to avoid crapping on the OT any more than the prequels already have.

I get it that this stuff works with kids, but it's a poor piece of fanfiction being passed off as Star Wars canon.

Edited by Duke Togo

Disappointing, like the rest of Rebels.

I get it that this stuff works with kids, but it's a poor piece of fanfiction being passed off as Star Wars canon.

I agree for the most part, but it was still satisfying to see so many things get tied up into one big crazy knot. Especially the Ahsoka-Vader stuff. And, was it just me, or did they really step up the facial animation a notch for that climax scene?

By the way, I can't recall- was that the first time Ahsoka actually called Anakin, "Anakin" to his face? I won't lie, I got a chill at that.

I agree for the most part, but it was still satisfying to see so many things get tied up into one big crazy knot. Especially the Ahsoka-Vader stuff. And, was it just me, or did they really step up the facial animation a notch for that climax scene?

By the way, I can't recall- was that the first time Ahsoka actually called Anakin, "Anakin" to his face? I won't lie, I got a chill at that.

Yeah, it was the first time. Leaving that confrontation unresolved is so anticlimactic and totally kills the emotion that scene was building up. Filoni himself has said that these non-OT Force users are all going to have to die, and sometime soon. But they're going to keep throwing them out there as long as there is a demand for more episodes and more seasons. They're just going to drag it out.

Edited by Duke Togo

Oh, and what's with

Vader fighting with both hands on his lightsaber? Where is his arrogance and the confidence he usually shows in his one-handed dueling style?

Even in Legends Canon, Vader would switch to a double-handed style when the situation called for the greater level of brutality that can be unleashed with 2 extremely powerful cybernetic arms. It's hard to get around the fact that Ahsoka is a master of lightsaber combat, in her prime. Luke, Obi-Wan ca 0BBY, Ezra, these are all fodder by comparison. She's a master of Shien and Djem So, considered two of the most offensively capable forms of lightsaber combat, and she makes proficient use of two blades. Mind you, when Luke masters his Jedi training and confronts Vader before the Emperor, nearly the whole duel sees Vader take a two-handed form. When the duel is an actual challenge, Vader has the intelligence to drop the one-handed arrogance and switch to a more powerful form, made only stronger through his ability to call upon the dark side of the Force, in fury. And the combat really kicked up a notch when Vader moved to his two-handed form, I thought. It was a nice touch.

Oh, and what's with

Vader fighting with both hands on his lightsaber? Where is his arrogance and the confidence he usually shows in his one-handed dueling style?

I personally remember seeing that specific thing in Empire only.

I thought it was being used to show just how far removed Luke was from Vader in strength and ability during their first duel. The other movie fights have Vader using both his hands once he is in close quarters combat.

I caught myself up with Rebels this evening. I was three episodes behind. A nice finale, I thought, but it did pull a few punches for sure.

Supposedly Ahsoka's fate may not be what we think.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/03/31/star-wars-rebels-dave-filoni-on-ahsokas-fate-mauls-return-and-much-more

which I think is total BS. Don't show her descending into the Temple if she's actually dead and say it is was her ghost or some form of symbolism of her character fading into oblivion. If you wanted it to be left as a "mystery" or left open for her return or if she is indeed dead, DON'T show her! You could have left it exactly as it is just with that one clip cut out. To say it is open to interpretation is ridiculous.

Chris

Even in Legends Canon, Vader would switch to a double-handed style when the situation called for the greater level of brutality that can be unleashed with 2 extremely powerful cybernetic arms. It's hard to get around the fact that Ahsoka is a master of lightsaber combat, in her prime. Luke, Obi-Wan ca 0BBY, Ezra, these are all fodder by comparison. She's a master of Shien and Djem So, considered two of the most offensively capable forms of lightsaber combat, and she makes proficient use of two blades. Mind you, when Luke masters his Jedi training and confronts Vader before the Emperor, nearly the whole duel sees Vader take a two-handed form. When the duel is an actual challenge, Vader has the intelligence to drop the one-handed arrogance and switch to a more powerful form, made only stronger through his ability to call upon the dark side of the Force, in fury. And the combat really kicked up a notch when Vader moved to his two-handed form, I thought. It was a nice touch.

I get that, but

he uses the two-handed form against Ezra. I dunno, maybe I'm just nitpicking, but it seemed odd to me.

Regarding the Ezra fight, maybe Vader wanted to end it quickly. Maybe he just wanted to quickly dispose of Ezra and just get the holocron. Vader/Anakin isn't exactly known for being patient.

I didn't mind Maul at all. If you ever watched the Clone Wars arcs with Maul, you'd understand precisely why Maul has all that hatred for the Emperor and by extension the Empire. I'd be kinda pissed if he hadn't learned anything from those all those times he got burned in Phantom Menace and during the Clone Wars cartoon.

Everyone seems to focus the title of "Twilight of the Apprentice" on either Ahsoka or Ezra, but it could just as easily apply to Maul.

Gotta admit: I got giddy as a schoolgirl when Maul finally whipped out a double-bladed saber after all these years. (He only went single-bladed for all his Clone Wars appearances.) Considering this is still viewed primarily as a "kids' show," they did get pretty dark, showing three deaths and one vicious blinding.

I can just imagine the conversations going on now between Filoni and the Disney executives:

Executive: We need to have Kanan regain his sight.

Filoni: It'll cheapen the whole story.

Executive: How about we have a story arc where they use some silly ancient Jedi technique to regain his sight?

Filoni: What if he only regains partial sight in one eye?

Executive: Can't have a main character be disabled like for the rest of the series! Think of the child demographic and the outraged parents we'll have to deal with!!!

Filoni: Fine! One eye will eventually get fully healed, but the other will be permanently damaged.

Executive: Ooh! Can Kanan sport an eyepatch now?!

Filoni: I guess.

Executive: Kanan Pirate Eyepatches for everyone! More products to push! Get Hasbro on the phone!

The Ahsoka-Vader fight was solid and appropriately emotional. But based on what was shown on-screen, I got the interpretation that she survived.

I agree with Dobber: if they wanted to leave it open-ended, just leave that scene out. We only see Vader walking out of the temple, and we assume Ahsoka was killed. But we are never shown any proof of it. That's much better way to leave it open-ended than showing Ahsoka ambling deeper into a cave.

Potentially-cannon: A ‘Star Wars’ Animated Character Might’ve Appeared in a Live-Action Star Wars Movie?

So speaketh Dave Filoni:

The one thing that I have toyed with and we’ll see how I feel about this, this is probably a spoiler, Carrie Beck, but I gotta give them something. I’ve said absolutely nothing today. And my wife’s like yeah, it’s just like being home. But I think the one thing I have really thought about is I really do think that Rex is that guy on Endor. I really do. Why else is there a bearded old guy on Endor, Tano? Why? It makes no sense. If you don’t want that to happen, do you know what that means? I’m gonna make that happen. I’m getting like Palpatine, I’m getting power crazy.

post-1088-0-46564400-1459524205_thumb.jpg

Speaking of Rex, if Filoni gets his way, Rex may have already been in Return of the Jedi. Personally, I like this minor retcon and would give a nice nod to the fans.

http://www.slashfilm.com/captain-rex-in-return-of-the-jedi/

Chris

Edit: Duke beet me to it.

Edited by Dobber

Personally, I like this minor retcon and would give a nice nod to the fans.

Yeah, I have no problem with this. It looks right, and there is nothing about the retocon that upsets what we know in the OT.

Oh great, Shadow, now I'll never be able to look at them the same way again.

To protect the Empire from devastation!

To destroy all Jedi within our nation!

To denounce the evils of peace and light!

To extend the reach of our Dark Lord's might!

Seventh!

Fifth!

Inquisitors blast off at .5 past the speed of light!

(Daughter's big into Pokemon, so we've seen a lot of Jessie & James lately)

Edited by Kelsain

That episode of Rebels felt more like Star Wars than The Force Awakens did. Brilliant!

If you mean the prequels, then yes. If you mean the OT, I suggest you watch them again and then come back to your statement.