Star Wars Rebels - animated series

I loved the fight.  Back to the roots, no more of this flying around shite from the prequels.

The choreography for Obi Wan's moves looked like they were borrowed straight out of a classic samurai movie where the master is all about simple, quick and efficient (though as a sword practitioner, I still have issues with Obi-Wan's grip and chicken-wing elbow sticking out).

And I will echo this is more in line with Obi-Wan's fighting style of the OT.  Hats fukking off to the Rebels crew for making this episode just about perfect in answering to fan complaints about the stupid flying flighting from the prequels, and bridging the prequel Obi-Wan with the OT Obi-Wan, accomplishing what George could not.

As for hyping up the fight with all the teasers, well, I was extremely relieved and happy it wasn't a long, drawn out flashy sword-dance.  

37 minutes ago, peter said:

I loved the fight.  Back to the roots, no more of this flying around shite from the prequels.

The choreography for Obi Wan's moves looked like they were borrowed straight out of a classic samurai movie where the master is all about simple, quick and efficient...

Hats fukking off to the Rebels crew for making this episode just about perfect in answering to fan complaints about the stupid flying flighting from the prequels, and bridging the prequel Obi-Wan with the OT Obi-Wan, accomplishing what George could not...

Such good story telling in this show. I still don't have much patience for the Clone Wars depiction of Anakin and Obi-Wan, though I have warmed to the rest.

But Rebels is another thing all together.  At first I cringed when Maul returned, but it was been awesome to see how we has integrated into show and how it has given his character the dignity the prequels never did.

I know it's unlikely, but I do wish Rebels would get a live action outing, or at least the appearance of a few of the principals in the upcoming SW offshoot movies.

^^Chopper appeared in Rogue One (in the scene where a communications guy runs up to Mon Mothma).

And you hear them calling for a General Syndulla (Hera) over the Yavin PA system.

Plus, a lot of folks want to retcon that the the old rebel guy in ROTJ wearing the Scout Trooper disguise is actually Rex.

53 minutes ago, Mog said:

^^Chopper appeared in Rogue One (in the scene where a communications guy runs up to Mon Mothma).

And you hear them calling for a General Syndulla (Hera) over the Yavin PA system.

Plus, a lot of folks want to retcon that the the old rebel guy in ROTJ wearing the Scout Trooper disguise is actually Rex.

I have to watch RO again. I did Chopper and the Ghost references the first time I saw them, but didn't hear the General Syndulla call.  I'm one of those people that wanted the mean-ish General dude in the RO briefings to turn out to be the current Fulcrum.

If you look at pictures of the voice cast, Kanan and Ezra's voice actors (Freddie Prinze Jr. and Taylor Gray) actually look like their animated counter parts.  They could easily spend some time on screen.

2 hours ago, Mog said:

THIS!  I read somewhere that they didn't rule out that guy as Rex.

Also, I hope Fulcrum makes it through Rebels alive.

Back to Twin Suns....who was Maul referring to as the Chosen One?  Vader or Luke? 

Edited by peter

I also wondered what the crew of Rebels would look like in real life.  They had the Ghost in Rogue One, as well as Chopper, which was cool, but what would the rest of them look like, who would they cast?  What was Rex doing between the end of Rebels and Jedi?

Kind of fun thinking about these sort of things.

Edited by peter

4 hours ago, peter said:

The choreography for Obi Wan's moves looked like they were borrowed straight out of a classic samurai movie where the master is all about simple, quick and efficient (though as a sword practitioner, I still have issues with Obi-Wan's grip and chicken-wing elbow sticking out).

And I will echo this is more in line with Obi-Wan's fighting style of the OT.  Hats fukking off to the Rebels crew for making this episode just about perfect in answering to fan complaints about the stupid flying flighting from the prequels, and bridging the prequel Obi-Wan with the OT Obi-Wan, accomplishing what George could not.

As for hyping up the fight with all the teasers, well, I was extremely relieved and happy it wasn't a long, drawn out flashy sword-dance.  

There is a long gap between flashy over the top fights and the blink and you'll miss it variety.  As for Kenobi - I expected an episode with him in it would have more of him in it...

4 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

There is a long gap between flashy over the top fights and the blink and you'll miss it variety.  As for Kenobi - I expected an episode with him in it would have more of him in it...

Meh, I can understand some being disappointed by the length of the fight, they did make a big deal out of it, but once again, I think what we got was perfectly fitting. And as you pointed out, there's a long gap between two Master's efficiently, and precisely striking at each other and blink and you'll miss it. There was a TON of love and attention to detail in that little duel. Also, with a character like Obi-Wan, especially this close to ANH, I wasn't really expecting very much of him in it at all, I think Rebels delivered pretty much EXACTLY what I expected, length and content wise. Obi-Wan can't have too prominent a part, we're way too close to ANH events, and I'm not sure what else you'd be expecting from him except chatting with Ezra for a bit longer. I figured Maul would catch onto Obi-Wan's mission, and that as soon as they finally faced off that would end up being their battleground. To each their own once again, they did kind of play it up like a bit battle was coming, but I still feel what we got was perfectly big enough, the duel was very intimate, it was far more about the meaning and finality of it then a big duel/fight itself. These are old Masters, once again, I'm not expecting a prolonged fight from either, Maul was ready to end it either way, and Obi-Wan has a fairly important kid to watch.

Spoiler

Damn. . . . Commander Sato took one for the team. 

Hope this isn't the last we see of Thrawn.  Even though he didn't capture anyone, his plan still wiped out a good chunk of the Rebel ships and fighters.

On 3/20/2017 at 4:28 PM, Tking22 said:

Meh, I can understand some being disappointed by the length of the fight, they did make a big deal out of it, but once again, I think what we got was perfectly fitting. And as you pointed out, there's a long gap between two Master's efficiently, and precisely striking at each other and blink and you'll miss it. There was a TON of love and attention to detail in that little duel. Also, with a character like Obi-Wan, especially this close to ANH, I wasn't really expecting very much of him in it at all, I think Rebels delivered pretty much EXACTLY what I expected, length and content wise. Obi-Wan can't have too prominent a part, we're way too close to ANH events, and I'm not sure what else you'd be expecting from him except chatting with Ezra for a bit longer. I figured Maul would catch onto Obi-Wan's mission, and that as soon as they finally faced off that would end up being their battleground. To each their own once again, they did kind of play it up like a bit battle was coming, but I still feel what we got was perfectly big enough, the duel was very intimate, it was far more about the meaning and finality of it then a big duel/fight itself. These are old Masters, once again, I'm not expecting a prolonged fight from either, Maul was ready to end it either way, and Obi-Wan has a fairly important kid to watch.

I'm really surprised Ezra didn't talk about Obi Wan after he go back.

Glad to see Fulcrum got rescued.  I was really rooting for this guy.  Filoni hinted at X Wings in the 4th season....should be awesome.

X-wings! That would be awesome. Been wondering why we haven't seen them yet.

As for the finale, honestly, I was underwhelmed by it. I'm really tired of the Imperials being COMPLETELY incompetent. I get that Stormtroopers can't hit crap, but come on the show takes it to new levels, but then add in officers not following orders ect. :rolleyes: I know it is a kids show but really how did the Empire become this dominant force in the galaxy and be "supposedly" so dangerous and then just fail at every turn. The finale was just meh.

Chris

^^Imperial Officer incompetence doesn't bug me as much, as it seems to be a trend (Admiral Ozzel from Empire Strikes Back).

Besides, Konstantine has demonstrated his idiocy on a few memorable occasions.  So, his disobeying Thrawn (trying to grab some glory and stick it to the non-human Grand Admiral) doesnt surprise me much.

Considering they wiped out a good chunk of those two Rebel squadrons; destroyed a bunch of their ships, fighters, and resources; and

the Rebels needed the help of some Mando strike force and a huge assist from a Force-wielding entity just to escape

, we can't really say Thrawn's plan completely failed.

3 hours ago, Dobber said:

X-wings! That would be awesome. Been wondering why we haven't seen them yet.

I recall Yavin being mentioned in the season finale -- Phoenix's ultimate destination after the loss of their base in Thrawn's attack, if I'm not mistaken -- so we're bound to see X-wings... at least I hope we'll get to see them.  This also indicates that Rebels is getting very close to the events of Rogue One... within a couple of years, at most.

Edited by mechaninac

Dave Filoni gave an interview about Season 3 a few days ago. He said that Ezra has finally gained enough experience and maturity to not talk about everything. He knows Obi-Wan was there, possibly he's protecting something, and Ezra has the understanding that if he talks about it he'll endanger that. He already did so once, bringing Maul there. 

As for the duel, Filoni said that for every parry that Maul managed to perform, it would have shown that Maul was Obi-Wan's equal, and he's not. It was short because Ben is frankly that good and has progressed much further than Maul has, who is constantly consumed by his need for revenge.  

Finally, as for Thrawn, Filoni said there's a balance he needs to strike between Thrawn being the almost unbeatable strategist the fans want and canon portrays, and the fact that the Rebel characters need to survive and fight another day. Filoni has said that if he had time and scope, he'd show Thrawn victorious over other Rebel fleets and cells, because he is indeed successfully prosecuting the fight elsewhere. Books and comics will probably show that. 

Let's see... Bendu might not be gone permanently. Filoni loved working with the R1 team to get Chopper and the Ghost in there. No word on a retelling of R1 just yet. It's certain that Kanan and Ezra will split a while before the events of Episode IV, since the interviewer was clever to bring up the point that if it was any other way, there's no way the people at Yavin wouldn't have met Luke and said "Hey! There's a couple Jedi here you should meet!"

Really good interview, worth Googling. 

Hanks for the info. Perhaps if they don't want to kill of Kanan and Ezra maybe have Thrawn chase them off into the unknown regions thus explaining all of their abscences.

Chris

1 hour ago, Sildani said:

As for the duel, Filoni said that for every parry that Maul managed to perform, it would have shown that Maul was Obi-Wan's equal, and he's not. It was short because Ben is frankly that good and has progressed much further than Maul has, who is constantly consumed by his need for revenge.  

Granted, Obi-Wan has gotten better but Qui-Gon must have been a bleeping idiot...

3 hours ago, Sildani said:

Dave Filoni gave an interview about Season 3 a few days ago. He said that Ezra has finally gained enough experience and maturity to not talk about everything. He knows Obi-Wan was there, possibly he's protecting something, and Ezra has the understanding that if he talks about it he'll endanger that. He already did so once, bringing Maul there. 

Finally, as for Thrawn, Filoni said there's a balance he needs to strike between Thrawn being the almost unbeatable strategist the fans want and canon portrays, and the fact that the Rebel characters need to survive and fight another day. Filoni has said that if he had time and scope, he'd show Thrawn victorious over other Rebel fleets and cells, because he is indeed successfully prosecuting the fight elsewhere. Books and comics will probably show that. 

Let's see... Bendu might not be gone permanently. Filoni loved working with the R1 team to get Chopper and the Ghost in there. No word on a retelling of R1 just yet. It's certain that Kanan and Ezra will split a while before the events of Episode IV, since the interviewer was clever to bring up the point that if it was any other way, there's no way the people at Yavin wouldn't have met Luke and said "Hey! There's a couple Jedi here you should meet!"

Wow, really good read, holy.  Thanks for pointing us in the right direction for a LOT of information. 

Really looking forward to season 4

3 hours ago, Sildani said:

I suppose what they could do is have an episode where there's more planning/co-ordination with other Rebel groups and they can discuss just how badly Thrawn has wrecked the other groups and even have them admit that he essentially won and they can't rely on luck to survive again.

Interesting, since every newly published SW thing going forward is canon, I find this very interesting. A new Timothy Zahn written Thrawn book coming out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Thrawn 

"Zahn noted that the novel would cover several years between Thrawn's "first encounter" with the Empire and the events of the third season of Star Wars Rebels"

Brings hope that as time passes the Thrawn trilogy might actually get realized in films.  We already have a new Han Solo cast, now just need younger versions of the original's cast.  Would also be cool if they somehow included references to Thrawn in the upcoming Skywalker legacy movies.

I barely knew a thing about Thrawn until watching him in Rebels, cool character.  

It seems like he's getting quite a bit of attention, so I wonder if he's going to make an appearance in Episode VIII?

The fourth and final season, oh boy. I can't wait either, it's been an great ride, this show has been phenomenal in my opinion. I'm guessing everything will lead to Scarif? We know Hera and Chopper make it there, but everyone else is off the table. At this point I've given up on my Snoke being Ezra thing, I'm guessing all this Outer Region stuff that popped up in the new Thrawn book and other written media is where the remnants of the Empire picked up Snoke after they got trashed in EP VI, at this point I see Ezra and Kanan falling to Vader. Ahsoka is returning too, and I'd guess either Vader finishes her too, or she goes Grey Jedi like Luke in EP VIII and goes into exile or something.

Bo Katan's back, huh?  Should be interesting.

Also, I wonder how many years/months elapse between Season 3 and 4, because Saw aged pretty badly there.

Personally, I'd like to see Rex meet up with Cody.  Or better yet, can we finally get the story of why Rex removed the chip in his head or what he was doing during Order 66?

They'll likely conclude the liberation of Lothal they've been running for the 4 seasons. They started with it and they should end with it. Seeing that Saw is showing up, they'll likely address his further split from the rest of the Alliance. Characters don't have to die, but they have to be put into a position where they cannot influence the story any longer. For example, Ahsoka. She lived but did not emerge back outside the temple after the fight with Vader and for the most part, her involvement in the story ended there. The same can happen to other characters where they choose a path that writes them out of the main story.