Star Wars Rebels - animated series

No, everything moving forward is now canon. Including all novels & comics. They've got a "story group" that handles the overall chain of events and prevents discontinuties. It's a good idea, in theory, and relatively easy to keep things untangled so far. We'll see how it goes over time.

I'm fine with that. Filoni and Co. had their work cut out for them to repair the damage Lucas did in the Prequels. They succeeded in making Anakin a strong yet conflicted character; I felt he was portrayed far better in the CW series than in any of the Prequels. If there was one misstep, it was Jar-Jar. They had a perfect opportunity to make his character older and wiser and overall more palatable, but they kept him perma-stupid and grating. I'm guessing Lucas wouldn't let them change his character. Or his annoying speech pattern/diction.

I've never given much thought to where the Rebellion got their ships and equipment, or what ships were used for what. I just enjoy the ride, b/c I doubt Lucas or ILM were thinking tactics when they put a ship in any given scene. I think it was more for variety and good visuals; too much of one ship is boring, so throw more ships into the scenery to break up the monotony. But it's entertaining to read all the conjecture. :D

Yup, only the films, Clone Wars, and the current Rebels series are canon.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. The new novels outside of "Legends," the comics and at the very least part of Battlefront are canon.

I was also pointing more to the constant "fanfiction" thing that is always brought up. Since Rebels, EPVII, some of Clone Wars, the new novels, and the comics are all sans George Lucas, they would then be "fanfiction."

:rolleyes:

Edited by Chewie

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. The new novels outside of "Legends," the comics and at the very least part of Battlefront are canon.

I was also pointing more to the constant "fanfiction" thing that is always brought up. Since Rebels, EPVII, some of Clone Wars, the new novels, and the comics are all sans George Lucas, they would then be "fanfiction."

:rolleyes:

Nope, as Lucas had at least some direct involvement with the animated shows. But this argument is moot. Anyone who cries out "why does this contradict what I read in so & so novel / comic" are who I'm directong the licensed fanfiction comments to. If you still want to argue about it, then you obviously aren't paying attention.

I was trying to point out that the NEW comics(started Jan '15 with Star Wars, Darth Vader, Princess Leia, Kanan and Lando Calrissian), and a small but growing list of novels not marked as "Legends"(Lords of the Sith and the "Journey" series) are all also part of the new canon. So anything that happens in them can be considered "true" in the grand scheme of things as far as their standing before/during/after the PT/OT timelines.

I was also stating my distaste for the "licensed fanfiction" title because until Disney took over, GL/LFM let the canon exist for most of the EU unless it directly dealt with major characters or anything GL directly contradicted(Boba Fett -_-). Guessing since that title comes with anything GL didn't touch or create himself, I was also pointing out that that would then make some of Clone Wars, most of Rebels, part of the new game and The Force Awakens fanfiction or licensed fan product which isn't correct either.

I saw what your original comment was directed to, and until 2 years ago, it was almost all legitimate, canon history. I wasn't necessarily trying to argue anything.

A LOT of people have little to no idea that the EU doesn't exist like it did anymore, and adding that "licensed fanfiction" comment to the explanation of why/how/whatever is pure opinion.

Uh... That almost makes me cry. Those two should not fight.

Uh... That has be scratching my head as I never imagined you are a person that could be moved by that, lol!

It is definitely hard to put two and two together though, especially after watching the rapport between the two from Clone Wars. I just can’t visualize the person behind Vader’s mask once had a Padawan he nicknamed “Snips”, and I also can’t imagine Vader was once someone who tolerated a padawan calling him “Skyguy”.

Don’t get me wrong, I actually quite enjoyed Clone Wars, but I just can’t make that mental connection that Anikin from Clone Wars becomes Vader that I knew from original holy trilogy.

But yeah, if they do face off, it will be brutal. I think it's inevitable, but how they plan to handle it is beyond me.....

Edited by peter

I'm gonna call it now.

Vader kills Ahsoka.

It's the only way the circle can be conplete.

I can see that too.

Also, I think Ezra escapes Vader by using his hidden blaster in his lightsaber hilt. In the trailer, when Vader is forcing Ezra's lightsaber towards his throat, the blaster nozzle is pointing towards Vader.

Chris

You know what would be cool? Exploring the actions of some of the other Rebel cells.

I know they're the good guys, but in CW, they explored the fact that not all Republic leaders were good and not all Seperatist leaders were bad.

How would the Ghost crew respond to another cell that justified true terrorism? Although that's probably a little heavy for this show.

Well, but that was really just an Imperial trap. What if the crew were tasked to work alongside another cell that wasn't concerned with civilians?

History is full of examples of people who are fighting for just causes, using despicable methods. It would be interesting to see this side of the Rebellion as well, perhaps as something that needs to be reined in before it can become a true Alliance.

Well, but that was really just an Imperial trap. What if the crew were tasked to work alongside another cell that wasn't concerned with civilians?

History is full of examples of people who are fighting for just causes, using despicable methods. It would be interesting to see this side of the Rebellion as well, perhaps as something that needs to be reined in before it can become a true Alliance.

It is also full of people fighting to get rid of the same "top dog" but for entirely different causes, in fact MOST rebellions work out that way. This is why the armed toppling of a government usually results in chaos.

You know what would be cool? Exploring the actions of some of the other Rebel cells.

I know they're the good guys, but in CW, they explored the fact that not all Republic leaders were good and not all Seperatist leaders were bad.

How would the Ghost crew respond to another cell that justified true terrorism? Although that's probably a little heavy for this show.

It's funny you bring that up. My buddy and I were talking about Gundam and Star Wars the other day, and I mentioned that one of the things I like about Gundam is that there's good and bad on both sides. I mentioned that, while I liked Rebels, I didn't really like how the Empire is almost a comic caricature of evil. I told him I'd love a Star Wars show that's about a group of Stormtroopers as good guys... guys who are simply loyal and patriotic, guys who are shown to be protecting the Empire's citizens, fighting pirates, criminals, and rebel terrorists whose actions are shown to harm innocents.

• 1 month later...

Really good season premiere. Disney is showing true investment in Star Wars. Wish they did the same with Tron :(

They didn't have to pay $4B or Tron. They will take it more seriously.

got my fix......just to hear that smooth vader voice. Ahhhhh, like coke.

Really? Are you really making a reference advocating recreational drug use?

If the rest of the second season is as dark as this (and doesn't devolve into Inquisitor of the Week garbage), we're in for a treat.

Vader was straight owning them the entire time!

A few other observations:

Vader could have easily killed Kanan or Ezra. I have a feeling he was just toying with them.

I couldn't have been the only one snickering when Ezra (or Kanan) saw the BURNING refugee camp and said, "They must have taken the residents prisoner." . . . . . . sure :rolleyes:

Vader vs. the whole Phoenix Squadron. Such a mismatch! . . . . . For Phoenix Squad! Glad that the creative team behind the show remembers that Anakin was a hot-shot pilot. Those skills didn't exactly go away just cause he's in the black mask and armor now.

Can't wait to see what happens next with Ahsoka and Rex!

Edited by Mog

Can't help but wonder if the next inquisitor will be

Darth Maul. The Emperor was saving him for something, but what? Maybe he'll turn out to be a leash for Vader, or maybe the Emperor will send him after Ahsoka if Vader let's her go at some point. Hell, maybe he'll hunt down Ventress. So many possibilities.

Edited by Keith

Can't help but wonder if the next inquisitor will be

Darth Maul. The Emperor was saving him for something, but what? Maybe he'll turn out to be a leash for Vader, or maybe tge Emperor will send hum after Ahsoka if Vader let's her go at some point. Hell, maybe he'll hunt down Ventress. So many possibilities.

Ooooooooo, I didn't think about that!

Most folks are betting the female Inquisitor they have shown is Bariss.

I really loved Siege of Lothal. Great work on VADER and my kids were just as into it. Even my wife got hooked 5 minutes in and she has not watched any of REBELS at all really.

That premiere was indeed great and Vader was pure badass. Great to see, I loved that part aswell when Ahsoka tried to figure out who was piloting that TIE, Vader is coming now. gonna be awesome to see how it goes down.

Looking forward to the new inquistors too.