I've learned not to judge a show by its first episode. Plenty of curisoities are there to get me watching again, but overall It was an okay beginning. There are elements that remind me of Fringe and then there are things that remind me of Heroes. Hopefully, this show will be able to match the success of the former and avoid the superdark fantastic crash of the latter.

Edited by technoblue

The show was interesting and shows promise. A couple things of note, good and bad:

Good:

Nice use of other Whedonverse actors

Nice callouts to the other marvel movies

Interesting setup for Coulson (is he the real coulson, a clone, Life Model Decoy, cyborg?)

Good setup for the rest of the series

The C-17 interior is laid out very similar to Serenity,

Bad:

The flying Lola was super cheesy, could have been avoided or done better

The C-17 modifications were just stupid. A second tail, that is just a copy and paste of the outboard wings: fail. Adding a third set of engines to said tail: Fail. Placing said engines almost directly in the exhaust path of the inboard main engines: Fail. If they wanted to make the C-17 VTOL, why not just put the QuinJet's lift fan in the tail, or have them pop out.

Neutral:

The super hero guy could have/should have been Luke Cage, that's just me, but I wanted him to be Luke Cage, maybe Marvel is holding out to do a Luke Cage movie or show.

I will stick with it for a few episodes and see where it goes. But I want to see some Firefly alum come on and comment that their C-17 seems familiar, since the layout, as said is based on Serenity, just flipped around.

Guest davidwhangchoi

The car is a call back to the flying car Nick Fury used in the comics. I don't think it's cheesy in a world that has a god, a big green monster and a soldier dressed in a flag.

I'm glad you didn't include the engineer with iron suits that travel across the city from his house in that fantasy world.

those suits are very very real, especially the 1/6 scale versions:

just to add:

agents of shield did pretty well in ratings:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/25/entertainment-us-shield-idUSBRE98O0YZ20130925

Edited by davidwhangchoi

They did have that lame explanation for Coulson's return but they did hint that it's not exactly as he thinks it is. Another thing that they hinted at was that both Agent Coulson and Agent Ward have been to Tahiti.

Overall, good plot and connections to the movie but bad acting and of course shot like a TV movie of the week. Heroes had a more interesting look and feel. Hopefully they'll take the opposite direction of Heroes and actually get better. Was looking forward to seeing MIng Na but she's seen better days. Not jumpsuit material.

The show was interesting and shows promise. A couple things of note, good and bad:

Good:

Nice use of other Whedonverse actors

Nice callouts to the other marvel movies

Interesting setup for Coulson (is he the real coulson, a clone, Life Model Decoy, cyborg?)

Good setup for the rest of the series

The C-17 interior is laid out very similar to Serenity,

Bad:

The flying Lola was super cheesy, could have been avoided or done better

The C-17 modifications were just stupid. A second tail, that is just a copy and paste of the outboard wings: fail. Adding a third set of engines to said tail: Fail. Placing said engines almost directly in the exhaust path of the inboard main engines: Fail. If they wanted to make the C-17 VTOL, why not just put the QuinJet's lift fan in the tail, or have them pop out.

Neutral:

The super hero guy could have/should have been Luke Cage, that's just me, but I wanted him to be Luke Cage, maybe Marvel is holding out to do a Luke Cage movie or show.

I will stick with it for a few episodes and see where it goes. But I want to see some Firefly alum come on and comment that their C-17 seems familiar, since the layout, as said is based on Serenity, just flipped around.

Fully agree with the positives. I just finished Firefly and it is very nice to see a familiar set up in that plane. Shepard!!

Really liked how they use the shared movieverse.

Since I’m familiar with the classic SHILED iconography I was wondering when a flying car was going to turn up lol. Really liked it as well as the other cute comic references here and there. "With great power comes a lot of weird stuff" hehe

Now the biology and tech geeks got on my nerves. Couldn’t understand them much over all their tics.

Fully agree with the positives. I just finished Firefly and it is very nice to see a familiar set up in that plane. Shepard!!

Really liked how they use the shared movieverse.

Since I’m familiar with the classic SHILED iconography I was wondering when a flying car was going to turn up lol. Really liked it as well as the other cute comic references here and there. "With great power comes a lot of weird stuff" hehe

Now the biology and tech geeks got on my nerves. Couldn’t understand them much over all their tics.

FitzSimmons? They were okay, when they weren't talking over each other. They became incomprehensible, a short way through the argument over the "night night gun."

I'm going to chalk it up to being the pilot episode, but I felt like the trademark Whedon snark factor was turned up to 11 throughout. It didn't really fit Coulson's character in particular, but hopefully it settles back down as the cast/crew find their footing.

This is exactly what I found most annoying about the pilot episode! My main thought was, "there's a reason why they don't design real-world plane like that.".

Yes, but the unwashed masses who don't know Thing One about aerospace engineering aren't going to care overmuch. :)

And besides, the wonky C-17 is nothing compared to the flying aircraft carrier that was in the movie. :)

Edited by Vifam7

I'm not feeling this show at all.

Sure, there's being a patient viewer while a show hit's it's stride, but there has to be something there that draws me in during the wait for the show to reach it's potential. The concept, the actors, the writing, the plots, the music, the effects, anything. But this show, nothing is there except a show about super heroes and the agency tracking them. The dialogue of the pilot was not entertaining, the jokes were not firing and the actors were not engaging, and somehow this second episode seemed to make all that even worse. There is no Josh Holloway here, no Summer Glau, no Timothy Olyphant, no one or two actors in this entire cast that is drawing me in. The stories certainly aren't distinguishing and the effects always feel like bad CG on a sound stage. And the music is just so damned boring.

What's worse, this series isn't showing any indication anything different will be done with the super hero concept or sci-fi genre conventions. I've been through Star Trek, X-Files, Stargate, Lost, and a dozen other such broadcast genre shows. If Agents of Shield is just going to be a super hero veneer for yet another tired run of villain/monster/anomaly/disaster-of-the-week episodes WITHOUT any new spin/humor/twist to any of it, I'm out. At least have the balls to be daring and provocative like Battlestar Galactica or have the talent to be funny and entertaining like Firefly.

This show is just so dumb it makes "The Avengers" look like "Breaking Bad". I'm going to drop it.

Edited by Mr March

Guest davidwhangchoi

The need to give SHIELD over to Norman Osborn to run as Iron Patriot to make this interesting... i fall asleep when the two lab assistants babble in that forced accent.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Half of it was boring but the team building it set up was nice. It’s still a bit rough but now that the setting and the team have been established next episode should get the subjacent plot rolling for real.

I still have faith in Agents of Shield because unlike other similar shows of “weird thing of the week” it actually draws stuff from a mythology that has been set up before (thanks to the movieverse) instead of them having to set it up slowly. None of the usual shadowy-organization-screwing-their-discoveries. Here they are the ones in control seeing as they are “Shield”, the top in getting things undercover in a proactive way, after all.

In two episodes it either picks up to have life of its own moving away from a "Warehouse 13 but with heroes" or it stays leaching the movieverse references for the rest of the season until it runs dry.

If they could get a vibe similar to Warren Ellis’s Planetary but in the Marvel Universe this show would be awesome.

Cool to see

that little nod with the emp rod that is basically the same brain killer Simon used in Serenity.

... i fall asleep when the two lab assistants babble in that forced accent.

Yeah, those two are definitely the weak link. They feel redundant. Have cosmic rays fuse them into one single being with an easier to understand voice or something...

And like Mr. March says, the music is boring.

Half of it was boring but the team building it set up was nice. Its still a bit rough but now that the setting and the team have been established next episode should get the subjacent plot rolling for real.

I still have faith in Agents of Shield because unlike other similar shows of weird thing of the week it actually draws stuff from a mythology that has been set up before (thanks to the movieverse) instead of them having to set it up slowly. None of the usual shadowy-organization-screwing-their-discoveries. Here they are the ones in control seeing as they are Shield, the top in getting things undercover in a proactive way, after all.

In two episodes it either picks up to have life of its own moving away from a "Warehouse 13 but with heroes" or it stays leaching the movieverse references for the rest of the season until it runs dry.

If they could get a vibe similar to Warren Elliss Planetary but in the Marvel Universe this show would be awesome.

Cool to see

that little nod with the emp rod that is basically the same brain killer Simon used in Serenity.

Yeah, those two are definitely the weak link. They feel redundant. Have cosmic rays fuse them into one single being with an easier to understand voice or something...

And like Mr. March says, the music is boring.

Why do they keep referring to Fitts/Sommons like they are one person?

Edited by miles316

I thought overall the second episode was better than than the first but it is still no Firefly at this point. Lets hope they have some better scripts in the can for the episodes coming up.

I will give the show 4 episodes, most Whedon shows, as well as most genre shows need about 4 episodes to really hit their stride. I think the biggest issue I have with this one is that it feels like the first two episodes were written to go together as one long episode. The studio/channel demanded it get cut into two episodes which required added scenes and hurt the overall flow. The biggest reason why I feel this was intended as a long episode, the character build up, and the bookending with Maria Hill at the beginning and Nick Fury at the end. I would like to see a cut of these two episodes as one long one, with a lot of the BS scenes removed, it would likely flow better.

I'm really underwhelmed by the series so far. It feels like a a typical genre show from the 90s. While it would've been great if it aired in the 90s, recent shows (breaking bad, SoA, Walking Dead, Game of thrones etc) have really stepped up the game. I never thought i'd be this not interested in a Joss Whedon show. Something also off for me about the Coulson character. I'm not sure what it is but he doesn't seem like the same character to me (maybe he isn't?). I found Coulson enjoyable to watch in the movies but not so much in the show.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i'll DVR it, but not worth coming home just to watch it Tuesday nights after the second episode... kill off those fake accents and i think i can bear another episode, hope this doesn't get killed off quicker than firefly. It's boring.. but that makes sense what Knight26 shared what the studio wanted. if the 3rd is boring i'm going back to watching the Voice while playing pc games on my laptop.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

i'll DVR it, but not worth coming home just to watch it Tuesday nights after the second episode... kill off those fake accents and i think i can bear another episode, hope this doesn't get killed off quicker than firefly. It's boring.. but that makes sense what Knight26 shared what the studio wanted. if the 3rd is boring i'm going back to watching the Voice while playing pc games on my laptop.

Fitz/Simmons actors are from the UK.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Fitz/Simmons actors are from the UK.

These UK actors are voice trained to sound either way. (i'm making this up, i have no proof :) edit: i found this http://www.imdb.com/list/MRL3_EZgCm0/ )

the accents sounds forced and very pronounced not genuine like they were directed to emphasize it,

in some scenes the lab rat doesn't even sound like he has an accent at all.

Breaking Bad actor that plays Elliot Black (grey matter guy) talks w/ an american accent. in USA's Suits he talks with a British accent.

the guy that plays Apollo in Battle star sound totally american and in real life sounds nothing like the show, Dr. House is the same (Hugh Laurie.)

it sounds like Michael Weston talking to Fee while they were spies in ireland. (Burn Notice)

the irish or whatever banter is not working...

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Why do they keep referring to Fitts/Sommons like they are one person?

Because "Fitzsimmons" is an actual last name, so it's an attempt at punnery to have an apparently inseparable pair named "Fitz" and "Simmons".

I feel the need to give it a few more episodes, 'cause I like Clark Gregg as Coulson, but it is a little bland so far. It needs something to distinguish it from the pack.