It looks okay, but it's not inspiring me. IMO, this is not an in-theatre kind of movie, but might be worth checking out on-demand or on Netflix IF word-of-mouth and the podcast reviews say anything good.

On the Tom Cruise topic, I think that like most of the Hollywood old guard Tom's best work is behind him. Any memorable pop culture with Cruise pretty much ended after Magnolia and Minority Report. Having said that I agree that every once in a while he'll be part of something that I enjoy for what it is (Collateral, MI: Ghost Protocol, Tropic Thunder). I will say this of Tom Cruise; he's never been a great actor but as a good actor he's had a better, more interesting and longer run in prime form than almost any other living actor. Unlike many of his contemporaries like Bruce Willis or Brad Pitt, I have never been able to accuse Cruise of phoning-in a role that I have ever seen. Say what you will of the man (and there's lots to say), he's always hard working and committed to the role. It's probably why he's so prolific and why so many seem willing to work with him. I have to respect his craft as the actor, even though I don't respect his politics as a person.

It looks okay, but it's not inspiring me. IMO, this is not an in-theatre kind of movie, but might be worth checking out on-demand or on Netflix IF word-of-mouth and the podcast reviews say anything good.

On the Tom Cruise topic, I think that like most of the Hollywood old guard Tom's best work is behind him. Any memorable pop culture with Cruise pretty much ended after Magnolia and Minority Report. Having said that I agree that every once in a while he'll be part of something that I enjoy for what it is (Collateral, MI: Ghost Protocol, Tropic Thunder). I will say this of Tom Cruise; he's never been a great actor but as a good actor he's had a better, more interesting and longer run in prime form than almost any other living actor. Unlike many of his contemporaries like Bruce Willis or Brad Pitt, I have never been able to accuse Cruise of phoning-in a role that I have ever seen. Say what you will of the man (and there's lots to say), he's always hard working and committed to the role. It's probably why he's so prolific and why so many seem willing to work with him. I have to respect his craft as the actor, even though I don't respect his politics as a person.

Well said about Tom Cruise. I don't agree with his whacked out religious ideas or politics either, but there has never been a Tom Cruise movie I didn't at least semi-enjoy.

Edited by derex3592

Well said about Tom Cruise. I don't agree with his whacked out religious ideas or politics either, but there has never been a Tom Cruise movie I didn't at least semi-enjoy.

I think that Cruise has this type of old-fashioned movie star "charisma", which helps him get through a lot of roles. That's not to say he can't act, but it does mean that at times in some films he can use this charisma to get him through.

I think that Jimmy Stewart had a similar sort of charisma. His acting wasn't always that great, but he just had that twinkle in his eye and a lot of style. Jack Nicholson has it too. (Although Jack is also an outstanding actor and can win awards for it.)

Edited by taksraven

I think that what makes a good actor - and establishments like the Academy are often to blame for this - has been dominated by narrow thinking for so long many have lost the ability to critically appreciate the non-traditional aspects of acting. Tom Cruise is a case in point. He's okay at emoting and his diction isn't all that great, but his physical commitment to acting is superb. When Cruise falls as a stunt, you believe it. When he fights or runs in a scene, it feels kinetic and real. When he flips out in the middle of a sports agency office, it's physical entertainment personified. These may be small moments easy to forget or overlook, but they absolutely evoke immersion and appreciation in performance.

Speaking of which, I think "performance" is something that gets overlooked terribly when judging actors. Granted, performance is NOT acting, but it can be artistically fulfilling and highly entertaining. Arnold Schwarzenegger has never been a good actor and his range is terrible, but as a performer the man is almost endlessly watchable. Arnold is simply an interesting human being, with a great physical presence and an almost infectious enthusiasm for life and performing. He's so watchable on screen because that charisma and spark comes through so well on film. Sometimes I just don't give a crap about real in a movie; Arnold makes things INTERESTING. As the great Stanley Kubrick once said about acting; "Real is good; interesting is better".

To veer back on topic, "Edge of Tomorrow" doesn't look all that interesting :)

This looks like a somewhat rehashed Oblivion...

Got the same vibe (alien invader, memory loss, lost war, etc.) but with the large scale invasion aspect being shown in the trailer as the main premise along with the assumption that the filmmakers wouldn't be that crazy to use the clone aspect make me think it'll be sufficiently different from Oblivion (at least that's what I hope).

-b.

If they wanna go "alien invasion vs. powered armour" as driving gimmick, why not grab the rights to "Genesis Climber Mospaeda" and REALLY apply memorable mechs/power suits with characters and plot arc you CAN care about? (...This isn't still "Whore-Money Gold's" license property is it?...)

Particularly if they are at risk of getting killed off...

Could this older Tom Cruise pull off Stig?

Rework the 'Mospaeda' story/plot line:

Humans have colonized much of the star system and occasionally fought one another for 'expansion room' beyond a crowded and depleting world, as was the historical norm. So, they maintain an almost conventional military structure, using the same consumption/attrition logic we've always used. Never seriously imagining encountering an intelligence or accountabilities beyond defacto norm after 149 years beyond Earth sphere.

The alien Mimics(...or InViMics...) are first aroused by human technological tinkering with wormhole/'jump' gate tech, in the hopes of interstellar travel--their next step toward 'Level 1 Civilization' progress.

It involves using the mass of Jupiter to direct energy and collapse/bridge a 'loci' in space; monopole ores from Jupiters titanic gravity environment are also involved. A molecule or 'three or four' of which can power mechs, ships, fields and weapons. There are curious 'in vivo/gravito-etheric' field effects around living beings[...precursor to InViMic sensitivity to activated vehicles and weapons…].

What sets off the InViMics feelers is not Robotech 'Protoculture' per se, but the fact that concentrations of biotic sentient mentalities were behind this 'worm-hole' phenomenon--something they could detect & had a kinship to--versus naturally occuring wormhole events(...almost closer to the Macross interpretation of Proto/DeCulture...).

They fold, like termites/ants(Vajra) on 'Swarm Day' and arrive on Earth, at the center of all the biotic sentience. The expected space opera ensues...

Humans have never actually faced non-humans in such scaled war and are out-thought/strategized...like domestic organisms in the face of invasive fish, tropical snake or snail species from another country. They evolve after their initial takeover to incorporate human engineering technology, versus only their innate biorganics and hive strength that contributed to their actually costly but rapid victory.

It is NOT what the Hive Race had in 'hive'mind...and they are now stuck on Earth. They are committed to replenishing themselves, which must be at the expense of the simple, fleshy, psychically 'dull' bipeds who 'tricked' them in-system to a dead-end world[still showing the effects of human resource ravages from the prior 2 centuries of industrial & environmental consumption..)

Marlene is killed in the first "Maginot Line" Op to defend Earth from the 'InVi-Mics'.

Stig(Tom Cruise--at a bit more than his 'canon' age…] is near mortally wounded fending off this global attack and watches Marlene burn up with her ship before passing out. He's rescued by fleet elements that limp away to Mars and Jupiter colonies where humanity tries to wrap their heads around what has just happened and fortify against what else may come.

Forward 9 - 12 years: the D-Day Force is nearing completion and Stig--older, scarred inside & out and lovelessly bitter(...easy attitude for Tom Cruise...)--volunteers as a leader for the advanced, RECON wave from Mars Div. The main fleet elements from Jupiter-Sphere are almost a full year behind in preparation. Mars Div. are to stir up the 'Crabs'(only engaged in a few skirmishes over the years); observe and foment human resistance, making sure there are no major surprises to doom the coming Op.

In reality, the Human colonial leadership is worried it will all fail massively and are actually sending Stig et al. on a "Dieppe Beach" Op...to ferret out whether Earth and any humans are really salvageable--whether the Neutron-S(...or whatever they're called in 'Mospeada'...) warheads, derived from the wormhole research and monopole matter their powerful mechs are driven by--will be necessary to sterilize Earth and start over.

They are also scared by the high possibility the InViMic's proliferation on Earth portends that when they reach colonial hive mass, they'll come out to Mars and Jupiter, consuming the remainder of humanity[..an ironic parallel with contemporary behaviour Humanity leaving Sol for the bounty of a stellar community..].

The rest of the movie/story arc follows our favorite anime generally, with Marlene and the other ochre-eyed, Human-InViMics all being genetic replicants of crewmembers from the annihilated orbital defense forces. Stig is reunited with Ariel because the Hive Conscious senses the powerful 'pit' of loss/hatred/emptiness/loneliness within Stig that correlates with a molecular memory of her persona/being. Thereby moving Marlene/Ariel's 'genetic remainder' into contact with him, so as to understand how such mentally obtuse/flesh limited creatures can create wormholes.

Story subcontexts of regressive human imagination, holistic awareness and inertial, tribal behavior upon the cusp of breaking free of Earth and joining a potential stellar community. The unconscionable waste of our only world and resources for short-sighted, attrition-like repetitious culture. And whether we really still need to look at vast portions of our human brethren as sacrificial or 'expendable' for some shallow goals--no matter how impoverished or conquered by the "dice roll-of-Life" they appear.

The possibilities of alien mentalities that value and move according to different rhythyms, like the InViMic's draw to biotic sentience behind gravitational/'wormhole' disturbances; yet they're organic, not-so-alien intelligences as tangible, relate-able beings in a 'first contact'...and ones we could learn new awarenesses from.

All of this to be contemplated before we join the stars--were the 'jump tech' completed. A kind of pre-graduation lesson for a Level 0.80-0.85 civilization on the Kardashev/Sagan scale. A necessary, mutual learning curve for all species before leaving their ontological cradles.

Unfortunately, I see how this might vaguely touch some of the themes within "Ender's Game"…must not imitate.

However, I'd much rather see such as this become a sci-fi movie plot cliche, more importantly an excuse to create realistic, on-screen Ride-Armours and Legioss fighters[!!!]…than irrelevant time-loops and a dark, brooding future for the sake of being "Call of Duty"-edgy.

I just watched Oblivion again, since I saw it at the movies. I enjoyed it even more the second time. The design work is beautiful.

Oblivion was absolutely gorgeously done. I enjoyed it.

YES!!! It's beautiful to look at... since film is such a visual medium, I can forgive bad acting and dialogue if it looked beautiful (ie; Tron) - however I can't forgive ugliness no matter how good the acting or script is. A friend of mine is the production designer on Edge of Tomorrow, and it looks great! So I'll definitely see it.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone else read the original novel this was based on, All You Need is Kill? If not I would recommend it. The main thing I'm not liking is the casting of Tom Cruise, and the main thing I'm worried about is if they botch the ending or not.

713kgURkOsL._SL1200_.jpg

Unfortunately, as most adaptations from books end up, the film will probably miss the point of the book, and not reach even 1/10 the level of badassery that occurs.

Edited by Tking22

i like the new trailer, but damn, I get more and more upset when I see Tom Cruise, he's playing an adapted version of a young soldier named Keiji Kiriya for f&*@ sakes. Irritating white-washed casting aside, this movie will be make it or break it for me depending on the ending.

Looking forward to this, I like Cruise in movies, plus I enjoy seeing Emily Blunt.

Of all the examples you posted of Japanese designed Mech/Power Armor the only one that speaks to me aesthetically is the Ride Armor from Mospeada. So...yeah...

PS - Power Loader from Aliens is a classic and should be worshiped.

-b.

THing is, most of the mech-suits/mecha we've seen come out of hollywood are Man-Amps, not some form of power armor. Iron Man is likely the only real power armor hollywood has put out on the big screen. Japan on the other hand, with most of its screen material being animated, has been able to create large varieties of power armor that it make individualistic enough to ID the characters. In hollywood, the stars want that face time, and the producers want that face time so make demands to use man-amps instead. Ironman did a good job of finding ways to show the actors face without cutting away from the action too much, and that is what other sci-fi movies need to emulate in some way,

THing is, most of the mech-suits/mecha we've seen come out of hollywood are Man-Amps, not some form of power armor. Iron Man is likely the only real power armor hollywood has put out on the big screen. Japan on the other hand, with most of its screen material being animated, has been able to create large varieties of power armor that it make individualistic enough to ID the characters. In hollywood, the stars want that face time, and the producers want that face time so make demands to use man-amps instead. Ironman did a good job of finding ways to show the actors face without cutting away from the action too much, and that is what other sci-fi movies need to emulate in some way,

yeah and its fully possible as can be seen in the manga as the character to get face time

I think a key point of the movie is that it's more related to our current reality instead of an ultra hight-tech SF universe. The suits from the Manga are too cool to fit in there. And the general audience will perceive an closed armor suit as a robot rather than a human fighter.

I call BS on that EI. Even if it is supossed to be placed in modern times they can still armor up the man amps. Even if it's just sheets of kevlar. Also the Ironman example proves that audiences can accept a person in suit not being a robot.

As much as I bag on the "mecha" designs for this movie I want it to be good. I want it to do well. But I want everyone who comes out of the theatre to say: "Damn that was awesome, but how come they didn't have any blasted armor on those suits?" Then I want Hollywierd to freaking listen to those comments the next time they do a movie in this genre.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok... When you gains the right for a adaptation of any work (game, book, comic, etc) Yu don't gain the mecha/armor design too?

Or they make it for show the face of Emily and Tom Cruise?

I believe the answer is in your last bit there. I'm sure the film's armor could have exactly resembled the novel if they wanted it to, but it's a big budget film and I'm sure Tom Cruise was quite expensive, gotta get your money's worth on that face! Overall, I think the film's power armors look pretty awful, they're not sleek, they're boring, and bulky, it just looks like a bunch of kibble and garbage hanging off a soldier, it doesn't really look like sci-fi power armor to me.

The armor from the manga looks like a cheap KO of the MJOLNIR armor from halo. The movie producers probably didn't want to use the manga designs because they where afraid Microsoft would sue the crap out of them.