It was good, but it wasn't as good as the over-hyping of it was. It was different, but it wasn't anything award winning.

I don't even think it's worth buying as a digital copy.

I give a rating of "not bad"

out of

Crap

stupid

eh

meh

not bad

awesome

epic

essentially a 3.5 out of 5

debbie.jpg

I was just reading on Wiki that they actually made the suits for filming. Like 80 pounds of foam and gears, and they had to suspend the actors with chains between takes.

Now that's cosplay.

Edited by Gakken85

I loved it! Not to mention the Production Designer is a personal friend and I have worked with Doug Liman and his team before - really nice guys (and that's rare in Hollywood). I'm so happy that it turned out so well. It's a breath of fresh air in the midst of a lot of stale by-the-book Hollywood sci-fi. I enjoyed it even though I was so hyped up for it, so it's gotta be even better if I hadn't had such high expectations on it. It left me wanting more, which is a great thing - it made me feel like a kid again (I can't remember a recent movie which made me feel that way other than Pacific Rim). I highly recommend it, prove to Hollywood that there are people who still appreciates sci-fi - sci-fi is always a tough sell since its so much more expensive to produce than any other genre film and often has lower returns, so why would anyone pay to have this genre made (crap like Grown Ups is so much cheaper and makes more money back)?

It's funny too, my wife really enjoyed the humour, it was forced, it just fit in with the story.

I heard from my friend that when he saw the film for the second time, he realized in the very beginning of it, when Cage was talking with the General/Major(sorry I didn't know his rank), the safe was opened.

Is that true? If yes that should have some connection with the plot. Does anyone knows?

Edge of Tomorrow only made $29M on the opening weekend... WTF?!!! - 3rd place... and some $12M Fault in Our Stars made $48M. I just don't get it... I guess these are the same people that voted Harper & Rob Ford in with an overwhelming majority. ...I'm living on the wrong continent. So much effort goes into great movies and people just want crap!
This is opening back up bad wounds for me from Pacific Rim when Grown Ups 2 beat it in the opening weekend. Both films (Pacific Rim & Edge of Tomorrow) did very well internationally - so its only North Americans that are idiots?

Everybody go see Edge of Tomorrow, its an excellent movie! Prove to Hollywood that dreck isn't enough.

No, in Context EOT was one of the best Sci-Fi films in decades.

It's not that America is stupid, it's just people are so used to being disappointed by

Sci-FI movies, it seems like people are giving up.

My honest opinion, this country is full of morons, and they hate Cruise because of the whole Scientology thing.

Which if anyone bothered to find out what it is, it's a smart move for folks in the lime light.

More then anything people have told me they won't see it because of Tom Cruise.

Then I tell them they are brain dead morons for judging movies by the stars in them. That if I judged my friend based on

The life choices they make, I wouldn't be talking to ya lol.

Watched and enjoy it. Maybe the fact that it was hyped but deep inside, I am setting my expectations low but in the end, I think it is a good film.

I did a google about the film and it says it is based on a Japanese novel and notice that there is a manga adaptation as well (which I enjoyed as well)

...the makings of a future cult-classic?

Going to stay away from the Tom Cruise stuff, but I think he's a talented actor and I appreciate the effort that he puts into his movies. That alone will get him, and the movies he stars in the benefit of the doubt with me.

-b.

Despite his personal life weirdness, he's a good actor, no two ways about it. I liked Oblivion, I liked Jack Reacher, I liked Minority Report, the Mission Impossible films, War of the Worlds, and I really liked Collateral to name just a few. Haha, I'm ashamed to say I liked Last Samurai and Top Gun as well, haha!

I love Tom Cruise. I don't care how actors or musicians act in their private life. I think it's frakking sad so many people DO care what other people do with their time.

Entertain me when I put down my movie cash and you're gold in my book.

Despite his personal life weirdness, he's a good actor, no two ways about it. I liked Oblivion, I liked Jack Reacher, I liked Minority Report, the Mission Impossible films, War of the Worlds, and I really liked Collateral to name just a few. Haha, I'm ashamed to say I liked Last Samurai and Top Gun as well, haha!

Agree with all of this except;

War of the Worlds, Cruise and his movie family drove me nuts - I wanted them all vaporized.

And I'm not ashamed to say that I liked The Last Samurai or Top Gun - for what they were I was entertained and I could watch either to this day.

I love Tom Cruise. I don't care how actors or musicians act in their private life. I think it's frakking sad so many people DO care what other people do with their time.

Entertain me when I put down my movie cash and you're gold in my book.

I also agree with this to an extent, but re: Cruise people are up in arms over his faith and how he went ape-sh!t for Katie Holmes. Which in my humble opinion is ridiculous. There have been a few women in my life, that for various reasons made me want to jump up and down on a couch, some good, some bad - so I won't judge. B))

-b.

What!!? No love for War of the Worlds? Yeah the kids were annoying because they had

A messed up life, but Cruise was great in that.

I honestly can't think of a cruise movie I though totally sucked.

And it's hard to ruin the memories of Top Gun and Days of Thunder.

What!!? No love for War of the Worlds? Yeah the kids were annoying because they had

A messed up life, but Cruise was great in that.

I honestly can't think of a cruise movie I though totally sucked.

And it's hard to ruin the memories of Top Gun and Days of Thunder.

Yup-say what you will about the man but his movies hit the mark everytime, and yeah...I'm talking about that unicorn movie too..

I hated Top Gun, Days of Thunder, and Cocktail - I was happy when Cruise ended his "Competition movie" phase. The rest of his stuff I like. War of the Worlds is a good one, it takes guts to play an un-likeable jerk.

"Born on the Fourth of July" proved the man had acting talent, along with "Rain Man". I even liked him in "Far and Away" which was a middling movie at best.

It is sad that this movie did so poorly and that Transformers has done so well, since all of the transformers films (other then the animated one from the eighties) was garbage.

Hey, at least they tried some bit of effort with Transformers (although I hated all of them!) - BUT what gets me is that EOT was beaten by Fault of the Stars and PR was beaten by GrownUps 2 - which makes it that much more disappointing. It's like the population preferring a Taco Bell special over a Michelin 3 star dinner!

If you hate Top Gun I'm not sure what to say to you...

How can you be a Macross fan?

It's essentially the same crap except the planes don't have a battroid mode and it isn't animated.

How can you be a Macross Plus fan?

It's essentially the same crap except the planes don't have a battroid mode and it isn't animated.

fixed

But really the only similarities are the flight competition, and "jets", the similarities end there.

WM, I wouldn't take those box office numbers as defeats, it really speaks to who goes to the movies. Children, teens, women (or dudes on dates with wives, gf's, etc.) and young adults - besides those that are science fiction fans most of those demos are not the audience for Pacific Rim or Edge of Tomorrow. Honestly I'm not surprised how the weekend box office turned out.

Take it as a win that the movie is so well reviewed and that it has a chance for significant overseas revenue and home viewing.

-b.

-b.

Haven't seen the movie might catch it on DVD.

Not a great fan of Cruise, yes, he can act but what I see most in his movies is Cruise and not the Character.

Still remember him in 'Legend' but he was overshadowed by Tim Curry and that has been a trend in most of his movies, IMHO.

How can you be a Macross fan?

Three major differences, all in Macross favor.

1 - Characters.

2 - Writing.

3 - Plot.

Well one is a massively long TV show, and one is a movie.

You have a young brash kid who is trying to make good and is unsure of himself (Maverick/Hikru) and a seasoned vet who is his best friend. (Roy/Goose). The elder friend dies in a dog fight. They are fighting a faceless enemy (Russia/Zentradi) on a battleship over open water.

Obviously Macross has a lot more development and sci-fi themes, and the pop idol thing, but there are a lot of similarities. It's in the same ballpark.

If you were a kid in the 80's it was badass jet fighters in dog fights and that's all that mattered.

So back on topic; trying to get back into theaters to see Edge of Tomorrow again in IMAX. As with any subsequent viewing I'm trying to pick up on things that I may have missed the last time.

-b.

Check that Safe thing (was it open the first time we see it?) This movie will be ending up in my Blu-Ray collection but that is a while to wait in order to answer that question.