DX VF-171EX from Macross Frontier

charger69

So don't know if this has been mentioned by the wings on my don't really sit flush in fighter, and to me there does not seem to be a lock in place or am I missing something? Also having this makes me really want a VF-17S from Yamato now.

There are two white pins that hold the wings in on the bottom of the 171 in fighter. It turns out if these pins aren't turned a certain way they are either loose or actually semi-dislodge the wings from their normal resting place. You might try popping them out and switching which side they are attached to.

There are two white pins that hold the wings in on the bottom of the 171 in fighter. It turns out if these pins aren't turned a certain way they are either loose or actually semi-dislodge the wings from their normal resting place. You might try popping them out and switching which side they are attached to.

I'm seriously confused by people saying that the removable wing pins have to be turned a certain way. The pins have a flat side with a corresponding flat edge on the whole in the back plate, the pins cant plug in AT ALL unless they're oriented correctly.

Edited by anime52k8

I'm seriously confused by people saying that the removable wing pins have to be turned a certain way. The pins have a flat side with a corresponding flat edge on the whole in the back plate, the pins cant plug in AT ALL unless they're oriented correctly.

They weren't in correct on my first one.

Actually, you can definitely force them in the wrong direction. I tried it once, but it might stress the socket, so I'm not going to keep them that way. The pins are squishy enough plastic to do it though.

I'm just waiting for the super packs, then I'll be gluing the pins into place once the new wings are on. I still can't believe anyone ever thought that stupid setup was a good idea.

I'm just waiting for the super packs, then I'll be gluing the pins into place once the new wings are on. I still can't believe anyone ever thought that stupid setup was a good idea.

Seriously though, who are all these "F*ck hardpoints!!" people that necessitate 2 sets of wings? Didn't make sense to me on the hi-metal 1/100's neither... must be an internal Bandai thing.

Seriously though, who are all these "F*ck hardpoints!!" people that necessitate 2 sets of wings? Didn't make sense to me on the hi-metal 1/100's neither... must be an internal Bandai thing.

Yeah, I was honestly surprised when I found out they were making them with swappable wings. They should have just made it right the first time around. I don't regret buying it though by any means, although I have yet to transform mine.

Honestly, I'm sure they realized the resemblance to the VF-0's ordinance in the 11th hour - then realized that folks could arm their 171's WITHOUT BUYING BANDAI'S EXCLUSIVE ARMOR PACK!!!11!

The hardpoints were on all the prototype pics until the last set.

Hmmm, speaking of which, I should preorder my armor from NY...

Honestly, I'm sure they realized the resemblance to the VF-0's ordinance in the 11th hour - then realized that folks could arm their 171's WITHOUT BUYING BANDAI'S EXCLUSIVE ARMOR PACK!!!11!

The hardpoints were on all the prototype pics until the last set.

Hmmm, speaking of which, I should preorder my armor from NY...

Hrmm, that still would have not stopped me from buying the armor, it looks bad ass with it on.

I must have really lucked out on mine because the pins have never once fallen out during transformation. They are actually hard to pull out of mine. I bent a fingernail trying to pop one out, it was that tight.

The parts that I keep accidentally knocking off are those stupid chest guns. I've knocked off one of the front landing gear bay doors once or twice and I've accidentally pulled a shoulder off once during transformation.

Those pins however will not budge without effort.

Did Nano ever start a group buy? I didn't see a thread on the for sale section.

He mentioned starting one after his vacation a couple of weeks ago.

I just preordered one at NY. I can always cancel if the group buy comes around...

As a lark I preordered two of these with BBTS, fully expecting the order to be cancelled like they did with my 25S order. Turns out they got them in and they're needing me to update my CC info as they have an old card on file. I already procurred 3 of these and I'm really starting to lose serious interest in obtaining more of any of them (this unit or future ones) with the way bandai is treating us, so I'm going to try to make sure any fellow MWers get first dibs. I'm going to free up my pre-orders tomorrow around 10am Central (US) time. I'll drop another post here a few moments before I do so tomorrow morning to give everyone a fair shot.

Yes, I posted this in the other thread. It's a repost to try to help out my fellow fans.

Just got mine in last week. Judging by the comments this one is a bit fiddly to transform?

Might have to watch some transformation videos before doing it to see that I don't stress or break anything.

Good thing that this valk is not so hard to find compared to the other stuff.

I love the armour/extra weapons for it too. Not quite as cool looking as ozuma armor pack or the VF-11C Full Armor, but a great upgrade still.

I would recommend just springing for it. I haven't seen prices that low for it anywhere else. You won't be disappointed. And IF a cannon fodder version does ever come out, by that time the market will have digested the remaining alto VF-171's. The price will go up and you would be able to sell this one easily.

The transformation is very fiddly (there's a certain order you need to do things, around the neck / chest area) but after some practice now it's not a problem. The parts are well engineered and the transformation is fun now, after getting used to it.

Unlike, say, the v.1 armored parts which sucked every time....

So don't know if this has been mentioned by the wings on my don't really sit flush in fighter, and to me there does not seem to be a lock in place or am I missing something? Also having this makes me really want a VF-17S from Yamato now.

This happens out of the box or after you transform it back to fighter? If it is the later, check the arms and back plate, they have to click in place before the wing can sit flush.

The transformation is very fiddly (there's a certain order you need to do things, around the neck / chest area) but after some practice now it's not a problem. The parts are well engineered and the transformation is fun now, after getting used to it.

I just transformed mine back to fighter for the first time, although I've had the 171 for about a month now. And regardless of what others say, I absolutely love the engineering on this thing. Much better than the 17 IMO. I don't think the 171 is over-engineered. I actually appreciate the extra effort they put into making it look more accurate to the line art. I feel like the 17 took too many shortcuts in the transformation (which others do appreciate since it makes it simpler/easier to do) that were improved upon with the 171. I will admit though that the 17 had its share of engineering that it did better than the 171 (e.g. hip swing bar).

Sure, the transformation is more complex and time consuming on the 171 compared to the 17, but I like the end results way better for all modes. They're all very very nice to look at. Since my toys end up being displayed 99% of the time, that's what matters most to me.

I also like how the parts lock into place more securely in fighter mode such as the back panel, head, and legs.

The only downside you have to be careful of is scratching off the red paint on the back panel. This part is prone to rubbing against the metal arms once you fold them back in for fighter mode.

Edited by ArchieNov

I would recommend just springing for it. I haven't seen prices that low for it anywhere else. You won't be disappointed. And IF a cannon fodder version does ever come out, by that time the market will have digested the remaining alto VF-171's. The price will go up and you would be able to sell this one easily.

That;s a good idea, but unfortunately it's not available anymore. Have to save the cash for the -4 anyway. :wub:

Pardon my rant, but I'd like to try and organize an international angry mob to go and storm Bandai HQ until they hire some competent design engineers..

So, I figured I'd run my 171 through a transformation for fun last night. We all know how those pins love to pop out of the wings, right? Obviously, happened again (a few times). Usually, the pin pops out, I replace it, no big deal.

Not this time. The pin fell out as usual, but this time the wing flew off with it. The head of that dinky plastic pin that forms the actual rotation pivot for the wing snapped off and flew across the room.

So. Now, if you don't count the actual large pin (which I don't, seeing as how it pops off if you breathe on it funny), one of my 171's wings has nothing holding it on.

So my current plan is to wait for the new wings to arrive with my super pack set this winter, drill those stupid pins out of their holes, and screw the freaking wings directly to the fuselage like the dipshits who designed it should have done in the first place.

Seriously. Do these people understand absolutely nothing about how to build something with structural integrity surpassing a soggy cardboard box?? There are just SO many things wrong with that wing design that Yamato somehow had absolutely no trouble with. One freaking screw to hold the wings on, and that's all it would have taken.