DX VF-171EX from Macross Frontier

charger69

The AIM-9 sidewinder has been in service since the mid-1950s, so it's not that much more of a stretch.

yeah, but in that entire time the basics of dogfighting didn't really change much, it's still jets flying around in the air shooting at each other. There where no major shifts in how you go about things such as being in space or having the ability to turn into a giant robot.

yeah, but in that entire time the basics of dogfighting didn't really change much, it's still jets flying around in the air shooting at each other. There where no major shifts in how you go about things such as being in space or having the ability to turn into a giant robot.

Exactly. Can't imagine how an AMRAAM can compete with reaction/overtech etc. The ASS-1 pretty much made everything instantly obsolete. VF-0 used it, and presumably early VF-1 squadrons, but I can't imagine anything from the VF-4 and later ever ever used them.

The AMRAAM actually has a weaker warhead than the Sparrow AFAIK---I doubt it could even scratch the paint on a modern valkyrie.

Well you know... just because it looks like an AMRAAM doesn't mean it is one. Once a standard body is adopted, the internals can become any number of different weapons. Older HARM and newer generation AARGM missiles use the same body with different internal components.

Maybe they still just really like using the AMRAAM body in the 2050s. :p. Not that the fins would do any good in space, but they might be backup weapons for use in atmosphere if the need arises.

I just wish Bandai would get its head on straight and look at some real aircraft before they go trying to make their own stuff. Admittedly, even Yamato got this wrong on the VF-0 missiles, but if you're going to make an imitation AMRAAM at least mount it on the pylon correctly. <_<

I am surprised there are no missiles in the chest. I imagine there never was supposed to be, but it looks like it certainly could have been an option. Especially after both the VF-25 super and armored packs have chest missile compartments.

Why not keep with the trend and include them for added firepower?

i realize there is a distinct blue tint to them but the toy pictures look REALLY REALLY blue...not a blue tinted grey like i think its supposed to be but a indeed a deep blue with nary a hint of grey at all . if you think the pictures from the mecha manual looks to be the same color as in the following link? http://gamu-toys.info/goukin/gouki/dx26/dx2601.html# i would say your monitor needs calibration or your eyes need checking. no offense intended.

i realize there is a distinct blue tint to them but the toy pictures look REALLY REALLY blue...not a blue tinted grey like i think its supposed to be but a indeed a deep blue with nary a hint of grey at all . if you think the pictures from the mecha manual looks to be the same color as in the following link? http://gamu-toys.inf...26/dx2601.html# i would say your monitor needs calibration or your eyes need checking. no offense intended.

No offense taken. I agree that the blue is a darker shade. When I look at the CG's I tend to think the colors are more faded or dull looking as if from a scan. But when I look at the actual animation (episode 24) using a 6500k calibration I'm not really getting blue at all. It looks more like a charcoal without blue.... So I guess the real questions are, does Bandai use the cg's that are supplied to them? Or do they use the animation? I would think they don't use the animations at all, I mean look at the Macross Quarter they released. Where did they get the colors for that?

Either way I think the toy still looks bad ass and I cant wait to add it to my 171.

Time for a pic :D

The princess wears armor :huh:

vlcsnap-2012-12-27-21h34m39s230_zps84dad205.png

Edited by Loop

I just got my set and it really does depend on the lighting. It's night time now, so I am using my living room lights, and mine look nothing like the deep blue/purple shown in the gamu-toys link. They are a deep charcoal/navy blue sort of colour.

I haven't put them on the valk yet, but so far they look fine.

I already read that the hip armour loves to pop off, as usual for Bandai. I just hope it's not as bad as the VF-25 V1's.

Pic-sie squadron!

After fiddling around, I can say that they are very nice. I had a bit of a parts-fit issue with the left lower-leg armour at first, but it seems to be stable now that I changed the order in which I apply the parts onto the valk.

One of the wings is even looser than the original ones now. The pin wants to pop out all the time. It's a slight annoyance, but the set does come with extra pins just in case, so perhaps using the newer pins will fix it? I haven't tried.

The thigh armour does indeed pop off a lot, but I don't think it's as bad as the V1's. You will want to have them off during transformation, though.

That said, transformation into fighter mode with all the stuff on is much simpler than I was expecting (you cannot put the armour on AFTER transformation into fighter, though). The shoulder rotation and everything went just fine. The only issue I had was with the legs. I don't like the leg transformation to begin with, with all this rotation going on before you can properly extend the legs, there is only so much stress those plastic knee hinges are going to bear, and now you have the added wrap-around leg armour to fit under the backplate. I only managed to do one leg properly and the other one did not want to rotate into the lateral position, nor would I force it. So I took off the armour, rotated the leg and slid the armour back into the space between the leg and backplate. I hope I don't have to do that every time.

Great set, slightly pricey considering the only gimmick is the working landing gear, but really makes the VF-171 a chunkier, meaner-looking machine.

post-1318-0-33236100-1356767451_thumb.jpg

post-1318-0-71068000-1356767454_thumb.jpg

post-1318-0-86511000-1356767458_thumb.jpg

post-1318-0-30100500-1356767463_thumb.jpg

post-1318-0-74358900-1356767466_thumb.jpg

post-1318-0-07777500-1356767471_thumb.jpg

post-1318-0-48327100-1356767475_thumb.jpg

post-1318-0-91221200-1356767479_thumb.jpg

post-1318-0-40869000-1356767484_thumb.jpg

post-1318-0-78525400-1356767488_thumb.jpg

Pic-sie squadron!

After fiddling around, I can say that they are very nice. I had a bit of a parts-fit issue with the left lower-leg armour at first, but it seems to be stable now that I changed the order in which I apply the parts onto the valk.

One of the wings is even looser than the original ones now. The pin wants to pop out all the time. It's a slight annoyance, but the set does come with extra pins just in case, so perhaps using the newer pins will fix it? I haven't tried.

The thigh armour does indeed pop off a lot, but I don't think it's as bad as the V1's. You will want to have them off during transformation, though.

That said, transformation into fighter mode with all the stuff on is much simpler than I was expecting (you cannot put the armour on AFTER transformation into fighter, though). The shoulder rotation and everything went just fine. The only issue I had was with the legs. I don't like the leg transformation to begin with, with all this rotation going on before you can properly extend the legs, there is only so much stress those plastic knee hinges are going to bear, and now you have the added wrap-around leg armour to fit under the backplate. I only managed to do one leg properly and the other one did not want to rotate into the lateral position, nor would I force it. So I took off the armour, rotated the leg and slid the armour back into the space between the leg and backplate. I hope I don't have to do that every time.

Great set, slightly pricey considering the only gimmick is the working landing gear, but really makes the VF-171 a chunkier, meaner-looking machine.

Just out of curiosity...are there any micro missiles in that armor pack?

It stands to reason that the pectoral armor bits should house micro missiles, the same way they do on the 25 armors; however, I don't think Bandai included that added detail as they were never shown openning and unleashing beer-can hell in either the series or movies... at least that I can recall. It's a shame too as that would have added play value, visual interest, and display possibilities.

And if I'm mistaken and they do open to reveal missiles I'll be very happy.

Hmm, was going to ask the same thing.

I haven't heard from them either, but the longer they delay, the more likely I'll wait for the MP Soundwave before shipping my loot.

I'm also been waiting for them to get back to me. I requested a shipping of some of my loot and have heard nothing... and this was before their xmas vacations...

Just out of curiosity...are there any micro missiles in that armor pack?

Like I said, the only gimmick is the landing gear, so no. Yeah, it's a real disappointment at this price range, but what can you do. It looks nice, though.