DX VF-171EX from Macross Frontier

charger69

of course I know I wanted them. I just want to be able to blame it on peer pressure when I'm spending money on toys. :p but hey, I'm less interested in a 171 cannon fodder now.

Edited by anime52k8

post-1819-0-92588800-1357139211_thumb.jpg

Once again I would strongly advise in not sticking things where they do not belong as those pegs are different sizes.

n5xKg.jpg?1

It actually works quite well this way. They clamp on securely without being stressed. Cavaliers would have the best colour match.

But to put VF-1 missiles on VF-171, the peg need to thinner/removed and the clamps need to be thinner.

Yeah, it's no surprise the bandai missiles fit on a yamato valk. The problem is that Bandai uses a smaller center pin, and they submerge the hardpoints further, pushing the pylons up into the wing.

Unless you make a custom mod of the pylons, they won't be able to attach on the bandai wings.

The tigh armor keeps pooping off on mine as well. Bandai can't make functional thigh armor to save their lives, but otherwise a very nice addition the the valk. I should've bought 2 sets.

Man, that looks sexy. Still waiting for my set to arrive from N-Y... shipped out on Dec-27 but, since I cheaped out and opted for non-regitered SAL, I have no way to track it or reference it back to N-Y for an inquiry.

It will be like a pleasant surprise when it arrives. :)

The tigh armor keeps pooping off on mine as well. Bandai can't make functional thigh armor to save their lives, but otherwise a very nice addition the the valk. I should've bought 2 sets.

I don't know if I could handle another set if it's "pooping off" :p

Got my order from NY for what I thought was my 171EX. Instead they sent me Armored parts.......

Had to write them a nice little letter in Japanese asking them if I could just pay the retail for the Armored parts and have them ship me my VF-171 EX. They agreed.

Guess I don't need to source the armored parts anymore now O_o

Very nice! Mine came in over the weekend and all I got to do was inspect it for QC issues (of which there are nada). I knew I should've gotten a second set for my other one. It's very pretty armor and I'll find the time to play dress up with my war machine later, I hope.

Edited by xrentonx

Whoopee!! Got my armored parts today. N-Y continues their unbroken record of delivering the goods, and lousy packaging: one layer of bubble wrap, tossed into a too-small FedEx Express medium box (for SAL shipping, go figure...) with no further cushioning other than some crumpled newsprint to protect the contents from the straining folded over flaps held together with lots of tape; good thing those FedEx boxes are sturdy stuff, and the USPS gorillas took pity on my package, and it arrived in perfect shape with not a mark on the toy's plain brown box.

Now to open this bad boy and see what all the fuss, adoration, and frustration is all about. ^_^

Edited by mechaninac

Whoopee!! Got my armored parts today. N-Y continues their unbroken record of delivering the goods, and lousy packaging: one layer of bubble wrap, tossed into a too-small FedEx Express medium box (for SAL shipping, go figure...) with no further cushioning other than some crumpled newsprint to protect the contents from the straining folded over flaps held together with lots of tape; good thing those FedEx boxes are sturdy stuff, and the USPS gorillas took pity on my package, and it arrived in perfect shape with not a mark on the toy's plain brown box.

Now to open this bad boy and see what all the fuss, adoration, and frustration is all about. ^_^/>

That's exactly the same packaging mine came in. I also used SAL since I wasn't in a hurry to get these. I've noticed that NY has been reusing a lot of old boxes and have been stingy on the cushioning. My first ever purchase from them were both Super Packs for the renewal 25's but those came in a new box double their size, styrofoam peanuts and bubble wrap. Cost cutting for sure. Hey, at least we still have the little note thanking us for our purchase. =)

yeah, i always hold my breath when i receive NY packages, given the state they're in. fortunately, no damaged goods or boxes, yet.

i don't mind them re-used old boxes (save the environment!) but i really hope they pay more attention to the cushioning.

hopefully, more will follow HLJ's air-filled bags and shrinkwrapped-to-card base approach. uses the least material, therefore greener, lighter and cheaper.

I GOT MINE!!!! AHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Oh my god this is awesome. Only real complaint is that the thigh armor is, as others have mentioned, barely held on by anything and flies off constantly. Whoever at Bandai looked at that design and said "yeah, that's good" is a jerk and should be slapped.

Also, some of the tabs and clips are so damn tight it was really scary forcing everything on for the first time. i do find it funny how so many people complain about the wing pins falling out, but when I actually want to take them out they've so tight in there that I ended up launching both of them across the room. It took me a good ten minutes to find them on the floor afterwords.

oh, and lol shopping cart wheels.

:edit:

additional observations: I'd totally forgotten just how god awful hard the transformation of the VF-171 is. Not conceptually difficult but slice the crap out of your hands on razor sharp pieces of plastic everywhere difficult.

I'm also really surprised how much heavier the armor makes this. It doesn't look or feel like much as your putting it on but the added heft once it's all done is impressive. BTW, I'm curious what the chest armor piece is actually supposed to do. I.e. I always thought it was some sort of missile pack like on the VF-25's, but it doesn't open.

Edited by anime52k8

oh, and lol shopping cart wheels.

Sometimes I wanna scream obscenities at Bandai for these things but I TRY not to be a crazy sperglord best I can :)

...but Jesus, Bandai. :(

Sometimes I wanna scream obscenities at Bandai for these things but I TRY not to be a crazy sperglord best I can :)

...but Jesus, Bandai. :(

They're actually not nearly as bad as the v1 DX's wheels. They're more like the stumpy rear wheels on the VF-11 except justifiable because the available space in the leg armor for landing gear is really tiny.

8367465535_f50679996a_z.jpg

BANDAI VF-171EX with Armored Parts ランディングギア by B_A_T_, on Flickr

This is probably actually the only place where wheels that stumpy would be perfectly functional. Unless you get the crazy idea to try and deploy with this armor in the atmosphere, you really only even need those wheels to cart the plane around on the flight deck.

But yeah, they seriously skimped on the chest armor. It's supposed to be full of missiles.

Makes me think.. how hard would it be to shapeways up a full fledged chest launcher pack? Or at least a set of panels you could plug into the existing armor piece with doors... hmm.