But that is just my point: why make up and then publish all of these 'pseudo-specs' if you're going to be completely unrealistic anyway?

Because as you point out, they are "pseudo-specs".

I mean, really, do you think you could take some designs and build a real starship, for instance??

tos_cutaway_drexler_2.jpg

Or ANYTHING from Doctor Who, FFS??

2r2ab8n.jpg

People just do it 'cause it's fun.

Good point Taks, but in the case of ST (I could give a rat's ass about Doctor Who [sorry guys]), most 'technical specs', especially from the original series, are retcons. It wasn't until the popularity of TNG that these ships began being designed with more 'precise' technical specifications in mind. My guess is that goes the same for that Doctor Who book you posted.

But in the case of Pacific Rim, they've come into the game showing their cards, and had a clear purpose in mind when they came up with it all which was "Wow, we think these details are awesome!"

I'm sorry if my nitpick of a movie that hasn't been released yet is bothering you but, as I've stated repeatedly in this thread, I expect A LOT from GDT. The more and more I'm seeing of this movie, it looks like he let Hollywood hit him over the head with the "We know what looks and sounds cool!" stick.

I mean, they can build giant mecha in this story, why not some advanced lifting vehicles for them, as well?

is it just me, or is it now mandatory for trailers to have that loud, low pitched, fog-horn sound either at the start or end?

which movie started that fad? getting tired of it now.

I always thought it started with the remake of "War of the Worlds", that creepy sound the Tripods made.

I still love the story a friend of mine told me.. apparently he had the Inception soundtrack playing in the background while he took a nap.

Cue the "BWOOOONGGGG" track. He snaps awake, freaking out, and falls out of bed. :lol:

As for where it started, I do remember it in War of the Worlds, but I'd trace the idea itself clear back to Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. For some reason, advanced civilizations and technology love loud "THRUMMM" sounds.

Good point Taks, but in the case of ST (I could give a rat's ass about Doctor Who [sorry guys]), most 'technical specs', especially from the original series, are retcons. It wasn't until the popularity of TNG that these ships began being designed with more 'precise' technical specifications in mind. My guess is that goes the same for that Doctor Who book you posted.

But in the case of Pacific Rim, they've come into the game showing their cards, and had a clear purpose in mind when they came up with it all which was "Wow, we think these details are awesome!"

I'm sorry if my nitpick of a movie that hasn't been released yet is bothering you but, as I've stated repeatedly in this thread, I expect A LOT from GDT. The more and more I'm seeing of this movie, it looks like he let Hollywood hit him over the head with the "We know what looks and sounds cool!" stick.

I mean, they can build giant mecha in this story, why not some advanced lifting vehicles for them, as well?

The biggest problem you are having WDC is that you are a technical person, whereas most folks creating these documents, are writers and artists and have as much technical know how as my 2 year old, no I take that back Rhys Asimov is a technical genius. They just throw numbers out to make it sound good, with no concept of what they really mean. The problem ultimately comes from the fact that most special effects artists who have never worked with real models or objects before. That is why so many ships, vehicles and robots in sci-fi now look so flimsy to those of us who remember them having bulk and mass. I will applaud the Pac Rim guys for at least making the robots look big and bulky and not have a bunch of flying off bits like on the bayformers.

It looks cool, other than the synchronized kinect operating system used to pilot them (I can see one person doing that, but two just looks really silly). I'm also having trouble imagining how those double bend legs would really work (they can't be very fast and look really unstable).

The old comic Dynamo Joe had a fairly plausible explination for the two pilot system. It was much like on a modern fighter where one was the true pilot and the other was the systems operator/engineer/mechanic to repair the bot in the field. It worked pretty well, and probably would have been better used here. To an extent though I think Del Toro was trying to embrace the general cheese behind giant super robot stories, that might even explain the BS tech specs, make it all over the top and crazy like your Getter Robo stuff. If that is what is going on I am fully behind it, but only time will tell. Remember trailers are designed to get you into the theatre and are not necessarily representative of the actual movie.

I'm with WDC though, you add in stats like that, then you should add in detail that supports it. I don't watch for it obsessively, but it always adds to the enjoyment of the story, sort of like Easter eggs. It won't destroy how I look at the film, I think it's always the story that counts more... but everyone likes the extra attention to detail. It really helps when viewing the movie multiple times... then again, I'll only watch it again if the story is worth hearing again.

There was a thing in Red Letter Media where they compare the time it takes to travel in the Star Trek Enterprise in the old shows and in the movie. It's stuff that I wouldn't be interested in because I'm no Trekkie, but again it added to the enjoyment of the ultra fan. No one makes a big deal of it, it's just there for additional enjoyment.

As far as the BWOOONG, yeah I remember it from War of the Worlds but even then they just stretched it from the big resounding THUD from previous trailers. I went to the movies this weekend and the best trailers were the ones that didn't have any of those sounds.

• 3 weeks later...

Reactions to preview screening?

Pretty good!

I'll wait till it comes out in theaters to get a better opinion. And preferably not from a site that has a hard-on for the movie. And is not a rough cut of the movie. In other words, I'll wait before beating the drum.

• 1 month later...