Yamato 1/60 VF-19S/F/P - All Variants

charger69

.... why would you ever paint something like that clear green, when you already have transparent green plastic parts elsewhere on the valk?

Unless I'm mistaken, and the nose sensors have always been painted, in which case the question becomes, "wtf yamato, did you run out of green transparent plastic?"

.... why would you ever paint something like that clear green, when you already have transparent green plastic parts elsewhere on the valk?

Unless I'm mistaken, and the nose sensors have always been painted, in which case the question becomes, "wtf yamato, did you run out of green transparent plastic?"

I'm quite sure Yamato has always used uncolored clear plastic that is then painted with translucent paint going all the way back to the 1/48's

Edited by anime52k8

anyone notice that the kai mask is molded into the inside of the green visor?

post-19-0-05127300-1357005293_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-07455000-1357005341_thumb.jpg

my copy also came with that unfortunate birthmark on the visor (remains of an air bubble)

Finally, I feel vindicated after I and some others saw the Kai face molded in the visor and got mocked for it and told they were just the cameras.

Thanks, Eugimon.

I'm quite sure Yamato has always used uncolored clear plastic that is then painted with translucent pain going all the way back to the 1/48's

Huh, that is a bit surprising, but guess it makes sense then. It just seems weird why anyone would do that when transparent colors of plastic aren't anything new. Didn't make sense in bandai's VF-25 kits either.

Huh, that is a bit surprising, but guess it makes sense then. It just seems weird why anyone would do that when transparent colors of plastic aren't anything new. Didn't make sense in bandai's VF-25 kits either.

It's cheaper and easier for them to gang mold all of the clear parts on one sprew and then paint them the appropriate colors than it would be to have separate tooling for the each color. (Also, it makes inventory management easier when you only have to use 1 color of plastic vs 3~4).

Hmmn. Has anyone tried to remove the clear green paint from a Yamato visor? The early v2 VF-1's had very dark visor paint, I think I'd risk trying to repaint mine. (assuming I can get it off nicely, without crazing the plastic). Anyone tried just soaking it in alcohol for a day?

PS---aren't the YF-19 nose sensors molded in red?

See, that's what I thought was the case. Maybe certain colors are easier to mold transparent?

And anyway, yes, from a mold perspective it does make sense. I guess maybe I'm more surprised that if all their visors really have been painted all along, we haven't ever really seen anything like this more often.

I got my 19P in the mail yesterday. Very cool looking. I'm happy to have something will the long wings and all of the canards as I think it looks better, though I can appreciate the more streamlined 19F/S as well now. I've noticed the panels don't seem to fit as well though. The hatches for the landing gear on the shins don't seem to line up as nice as on the F/S. The cover for the missiles on the calves don't seem to fit as well either. I haven't had time to attempt transformation yet. Hopefully I don't encounter the same issues Renato had (or worse.) As soon as I get some time in the daytime I'll snap a few pics.

My experience with model kits is you actually get better results with true-clear plastic painted with clear-tinted paint. The piece always looks clearer and has more luster, because more light is able to shine through the thin later of tint than it is through a part that was fully molded in a color, just due to the mechanics of the way light works. It absolutely makes more sense for Yamato to do it this way.

I transformed my P last night, for some reason it was super tight, but that's better than it being really loose. I did not notice any major problems with my copy except for a ding on the sharpest point on the wing. Overall I really like it' more than I thought I would actually.

Freaking customs.. my VF-17D and VF-19P have been held up in LA since last week. <_<

So have a lot of our members VF-4's as well. It's not just you, we're all getting screwed here. My P made it by the 29th and it cleared customs the next week, everything else (17D and 2 4G's) hit the 30th and 31st and have been stuck there for seven days now.

Is it the same smooth, shiny plastic used on all other previous VF-19 releases?

On a different note, I'm already somewhat scared of transforming a VF-19, it seems that going back into Fighter has a tendency to scrape the chest stripes. My Kai had already some big scratches on the yellow stripe's edges, good thing I have a Hi-Metal and planning to get another Kai for Battroid so that I don't have to keep transforming my current Kai.

Edited by kamadoma

Nice pictures Mommar. :)

Would it be possible to snap a picture of it without the shoulder speaker fins on? Just wanted to see how it looks and how big the hole is for them. It was reported that the Valk comes with them not attached but no one seems to be willing to take a picture for me. Not sure if the BAT photos show this as the pictures don't show on my iPad.

Chris