I like the Human Alliance toys and the ROTF Leader Class Prime. I still have them even if they don't fit into my collection anymore. The transformation of the ROTF Prime is one of the best I've ever seen on a toy.

I always said that these movies would spell the end of the TF toy line producing any kind of quality toys.

I don't know. In a way, this sort of makes sense. New movie means tons of kiddies going to the theater and wanting toys of what they just saw. And I know parents who have complained that Transformers are too complicated for their kids (hell, my 7 year old nephew was asking for help with the Legends class figures I got him for Christmas). So they take the line that kids are most likely to want, and they dumb it down for them. I don't think there's been any indication that this simplification is going to be across the boards, though. Generations figures will probably still be what we've been getting. If simpler movie toys means better sales and more money for Hasbro, so Hasbro can keep making good Generations toys and keep bringing over Masterpieces, then by all means simplify the movie toys. I guarantee I bought more Generations toys in three months than movie toys over the course of all three movies anyway.

I always said that these movies would spell the end of the TF toy line producing any kind of quality toys.

IMO the first two movies robot designs made the toy engineers wake up try new things. They were out of their comfort zone and had to step up. The evolution from movie one toys to movie two toys was incredible. ROTF Leader Prime and the HA line were the pinnacle of that. What they learned certainly shows in the designs for the non movie lines that came. The TF Animated and the first releases of TF Prime were very satisfying to transform. They did new things and refined and made fun the tedious transformations of the alternators line.

Of course, the excuse to dumb down the designs (which they have actually been doing for a time already) has more to do with saving costs. $60 for that shell former is a lot of money into the bank for Hasbro.

And my main beef: WFT is up with so few paint apps???? That has zero to do with making the toys kid friendly; that is just being frakking cheap. That Optimus does not look half as painted as the box drawing of him looks. That really pissed me off as a little kid, specially with my Ninja Turtles (had to paint and mod them myself lol).

Make the toy as simple as you want, but at least spend some money making all those stupid little details have the colors they should!!

Based on what's been shown at the UK ToyFair this week, some stuff seems 99% confirmed, and some stuff seems "likely, as there probably isn't much mis-information going on at that place". So, we now know (probably) that:

The Lamborghini Aventador is

Lockdown

And the fan-rage-inducing (once it becomes more widely known) identity of the grey cabover truck is the evil Decepticon

Ultra Magnus

Months ago the producers said people wouldn't be happy when it was revealed---and boy were they right!

(of course, that brings up the point---if you know your target audience won't like it that far in advance---why do it in the first place? With how little most Bayformers resemble their G1 namesakes, why even use the names at all? Either use more appropriate ones, or make up new ones.)

If the "new" Star Trek movies had "Kirk, the evil Klingon doctor"-----a lot of fans wouldn't take that well. This isn't quite to that level, but it IS really, really messing with an established, iconic character.

Or maybe they'll pull a reverse Sentinel Prime with him. But that'd seem even worse somehow, frankly lazy/cheap, since we just saw it in the last movie.

Based on what's been shown at the UK ToyFair this week, some stuff seems 99% confirmed, and some stuff seems "likely, as there probably isn't much mis-information going on at that place". So, we now know (probably) that:

The Lamborghini Aventador is

Lockdown

And the fan-rage-inducing (once it becomes more widely known) identity of the grey cabover truck is the evil Decepticon

Ultra Magnus

Months ago the producers said people wouldn't be happy when it was revealed---and boy were they right!

(of course, that brings up the point---if you know your target audience won't like it that far in advance---why do it in the first place? With how little most Bayformers resemble their G1 namesakes, why even use the names at all? Either use more appropriate ones, or make up new ones.)

If the "new" Star Trek movies had "Kirk, the evil Klingon doctor"-----a lot of fans wouldn't take that well. This isn't quite to that level, but it IS really, really messing with an established, iconic character.

Or maybe they'll pull a reverse Sentinel Prime with him. But that'd seem even worse somehow, frankly lazy/cheap, since we just saw it in the last movie.

I prefer the Diaclone names: Convoy or Powered Convoy..

What's next making Megatron a good guy and the Autobots the bad guys....... Oh wait that was Megatron's Master Plan, and they already rapped that last film.

How much actual say do Hasbro/Takara actually have in what they do with the characters? They are after all a very established toy line as is very evident.

So far the films have for the most part turned most of the previous established history on it head.

All the alt verse reboots have nearly always not messed with the basics. The designs changed but the names and their alignment with Autobots or Decepticons have stayed.

Hope fully this is some sort of pre film anti publicity. What's the chances that they just got the names wrong on the packaging. Wouldn't be the first time. Palitoy did it, and they are now part of Hasbro.

I live in hope.

How much actual say do Hasbro/Takara actually have in what they do with the characters?

If I'm not mistaken, they get final approval.

And even up to the finished film, it could still be wrong. The tank in the 07 movie is Brawl, (according to everything from toys to games) but the actual subtitle in the film says Devastator.

Right. Because Michael Bay or someone wanted the tank to be Devastator, and Hasbro nixed it.

Really even 3PC

I like how they justify that kids need instant gratification. I try not to teach my kids that.

If that is the modern requirement for children, I cant even be bothered to transform or even think about transforming my toy, so if I wack it on the floor it will do it for me.

"the I want it now generation" is the beginning of the end for the human race.

Edited by big F

If that is the modern requirement for children, I cant even be bothered to transform or even think about transforming my toy, so if I wack it on the floor it will do it for me.

"the I want it now generation" is the beginning of the end for the human race.

You God damn kids with your ADHD and your fancy electronic adding machines. In my day we had to transform our toys up hill, both ways, IN THE SNOW, and we LIKED it! Now get off my lawn!!! where's my prune juice?

Way to highlight the weaknesses of the toy by posting a comparison pic with MP-10 and ROTF leader class Optimus.

It's articulated, though; I'll give it that much.

The biggest problem here is that both Hasbro and ILM are basically pulling the movie designs in opposite directions. Hasbro is adamant in making simpler toys, while ILM, instead of making the designs a little simpler, actually did away with most of the car parts, making the new designs nigh impossible to transform without resorting to shell-forming.

Frankly, I'm not even a fan of the new "King Arthur" look OP's got going on here, much less the toy.

Is it just me, or are the graphics not as impressive as the previous movies. Something about this trailer doesn't scream photorealistic to the extent that previous TF films have.

Noticed a difference to, but I just attributed it to the filmmakers wanting a slightly different look for the CGI.

C'mon, it's Prime riding Grimlock! :wub: / :p

-b.

Is it just me, or are the graphics not as impressive as the previous movies. Something about this trailer doesn't scream photorealistic to the extent that previous TF films have.

What stood out to me is that many of the TFs are colored something other than silver. It's a welcome change.

What stood out to me is that many of the TFs are colored something other than silver. It's a welcome change.

Many? Silver-grey Swoop, Silver-grey Grimlock, Silver-Grey Galva-Magnus-Motormaster-Tron, Dark silver-Grey Lockdown...

One bright green 'bot doesn't counteract all the other new ones being "more of the same".