Early reviews are up, and they are what you expected.

Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 50%

"The bloat of this latest entry -- at 165 minutes, the longest of the lot -- suggests that Michael Bay and his team are struggling to rejuvenate the whole premise." - Clarence Tsui, The Hollywood Reporter

"Imagine a little boy, playing with his Transformers in front of a mural that he's created from clippings of his favourite films. Now give that boy a couple of hundred million dollars; voilĂ ." - Blake Howard, 2UE That Movie Show

"Transformers: Age of Extinction has appalling dialogue, deplorable representations of women, un-self-aware action sequences, very little humour and racial stereotyping. In other words, it's a Michael Bay movie." - Dov Kornits, Filmlink (Australia)

"For audiences seeking the same polished, vacuous grand scale spectacle that has become synonymous with both the series and its director, Transformers: Age Of Extinction gives the series a new lease of life." - James Marsh, Screen International

Early reviews are up, and they are what you expected.

"Transformers: Age of Extinction has appalling dialogue, deplorable representations of women, un-self-aware action sequences, very little humour and racial stereotyping. In other words, it's a Michael Bay movie." - Dov Kornits, Filmlink (Australia)

Racial stereotyping in a Michael Bay film? As a black man I find that hard to believe!! :D

>assuming the movies do not have plots when they clearly do
>motorcycle poses "misogynistic
>the autobots being "generic"
>opening action 10 minutes when it is more like 5
>watching 3 movies at once makes you feel "like the audience" when this is unique
>calling the movies a "noisy bar"

All that complaining.

Typical Michael Bay schlock with all action and no plot. While the first three films had some annoying characters, this one has characters that just have no character. You have absolutely no reason to care about any of the human characters here. And in typical Bay fashion, the pacing is all over the place and the ending feels forced.

Nonetheless, I'll go watch it again in 2D, as IMAX did nothing for me.

If it had a different director, I might go to see it in the theatre. But I have no confidence that Bay has progressed passed the happy platue that he has reached in his previouse films, Pearl Harbor, Transformers 1 and 2 and 3... All aspire to too much grandoise machismo to cover up plot lines and scripts that are pretty much crap... And I've stopped hoping that it will get any better with the next sorry attempt to keep his ego boosted.

But hey, maybe this will be better than before. Perhaps in a week or two I might go to see it in the theatre if I hear that it is better than the schlock that has come before.

Or I'll just go see Maleficent again...

Damn, Jolie is hot with horns...

Edited by Thom

I used to like Bay's films. Then I saw transformers 2 and 3 as well as the trailer to the newest one. After awhile they all seem the same to me. I'm just glad they got rid of Shia L character. His presence in 2 and 3 dragged the films down keeping from a better film. To be honest 3 started out pretty good with all the nasa stuff until the movie is forced to cut to Shia's scene and the audience is forced to listen to him complain about not finding a job. Just what I want from my escapist entertainment, reality.lol

This new one looks ok in comparison but I won't waste my $ on it. Maybe on a toy for me and my kid, but I'll wait for the BD.

Edited by cypherxv

It's definitely better than ROTF, but until I watch it again, I can't say if it's better or worse than DOTM.

Yikes.

Being better than Revenge of the Fallen is like saying that what you ate from some horrible restaurant was better than eating what's on the bottom of your shoe.

Still gonna go see it though! :lol:

-b.

Yikes.

Being better than Revenge of the Fallen is like saying that what you ate from some horrible restaurant was better than eating what's on the bottom of your shoe.

Still gonna go see it though! :lol:

-b.

It's just that the film suffers from the usual Bay-isms:

- Erratic pacing.

- A leading lady that can't act (what else is new?).

- Incoherent dialogue.

- Wasted talents (of Kelsey Grammer and Stanley Tucci, to be specific). Granted, Tucci can make a bad movie watchable with his acting prowess, but he got outmatched by the dull script.

- Messy fight scenes.

- Way too long of a running time.

In addition, Bay once again finds another excuse to use Earth as a piece of Transformer history and contradict every movie prior to this. Still, I'll give this film another chance this week.

It's just that the film suffers from the usual Bay-isms:

- Erratic pacing.

- A leading lady that can't act (what else is new?).

- Incoherent dialogue.

- Wasted talents (of Kelsey Grammer and Stanley Tucci, to be specific). Granted, Tucci can make a bad movie watchable with his acting prowess, but he got outmatched by the dull script.

- Messy fight scenes.

- Way too long of a running time.

In addition, Bay once again finds another excuse to use Earth as a piece of Transformer history and contradict every movie prior to this. Still, I'll give this film another chance this week.

See, that part in bold irritates me. There is no need to shoehorn Earth into Transformers history, they had the perfect reason to be here in the first movie. There doesn't need to be some giant-intergalactic sense of kismet.

But as DuelGundam would say, A++ for effort!*

-b.

*( :) , its all good man, enjoy what you enjoy)

You know what else bothers me about this new film? The fact that...

the human-made creations are called "Transformers" when they don't mechanically transform. Instead, they turn into this flying liquid metal (not like T-1000) before molding into their robot forms.

Bay movies have thier own rating system.

Most movies are either thumbs up or thumbs down.

Bay movies are .. "Well it was better than ____(insert another bay movie).

They are so bad, he gets his own "it's better then the one pos" rating system. Lol

In response to A7's spoiler , neither do the Transformers in Bay's movies. They are mechanical impossibilities; millions of tiny fragmented car parts swimming about on a sea of bubblegum and imagination..pure CG magic. For all his bluster about making them realistic, he missed the mark by a mile. I still wish they'd modeled them more like Binaltech/Alternators. At least the transformations would have been believable, and there wouldn't be fragmented chunks of tire here and there in illogical places on the bots. I'll wait for this to air on tv at some point.

How come no one's really addressed that? In robot mode, they're all dirty and scratched up; yet their car modes are in showroom condition.

Oh wait - now the robot modes in AOE are all polished up. And at least a beat-up semi-truck in the beginning of the film shows how badly damaged Optimus is.

Edited by areaseven

How come no one's really addressed that? In robot mode, they're all dirty and scratched up; yet their car modes are in showroom condition.

Oh wait - now the robot modes in AOE are all polished up. And at least a beat-up semi-truck in the beginning of the film shows how badly damaged Optimus is.

I'm sure that has to do with licensing. Dino was supposed to be beheaded by Soundwave after Q. Ferrari said the only way they'd allow the car in the movie was to have the character live.

It's giant car commercial, the car companies aren't going to let you see busted up cars!

Bay movies have thier own rating system.

Most movies are either thumbs up or thumbs down.

Bay movies are .. "Well it was better than ____(insert another bay movie).

They are so bad, he gets his own "it's better then the one pos" rating system. Lol

I'm sure that has to do with licensing. Dino was supposed to be beheaded by Soundwave after Q. Ferrari said the only way they'd allow the car in the movie was to have the character live.

It's giant car commercial, the car companies aren't going to let you see busted up cars!

This man is on a roll.

QFT 2*

-b.

And, like the whore I am, I will go see this in theaters before too long.

While the first three films had some annoying characters, this one has characters that just have no character. You have absolutely no reason to care about any of the human characters here.

Did we ever?

Not once did I sit down to peruse a piece of Transformers entertainment going "Man, I wonder what happens to *insert human character here* this time!"

Well, I lie. I did that for Transformers: Animated.

And then Sari just disappears for most of season 3. *sigh*

Why would you watch something about transforming alien robots in a galactic civil war for generic humans that are in virtually every other story ever made? Not trying to be mean or anything, I just want to know the logic behind that.

Well, yes. However, if you go to see a movie about transforming alien robots, and said robots are forced to take a back-seat to generic humans, it would be nice if those humans were mildly entertaining.

- sorry, my grammar is awful today.

Need to enroll at the DZCFCWCRG(AWTDOTGT)

Edited by Kelsain