What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

I just took on the first episode of Bodacious Space Pirates which I jokingly nicknamed lesbian butt pirates because it looked like yuri if the threads on /a/ were any indication. Didn't feel like taking on anything else in my backlog like Patlabor: The New Files, the one shot OVA Crimson Wolf, or Mawaru Penguin Drum (sometimes I find random anime to throw in if they're available) and since this was crazed back when it was airing (unlike all the mecha stuff airing at the time) I gave it a shot. The episode itself was okay, but good lord, that music is absolutely horrific. Easily some of the worst I've heard in a while. To top it off this will be my last anime series before I decide to do my massive take on of eroge adapted anime.

Finally, I'm sitting down and watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes in its entirety. In the past, I'd only seen up to the mid-30s. I'm still missing the last 26 episodes, though.

Do enjoy! I must rewatch it too soon. Been ages and I want to have it fresh before the new LOGH TV series comes out.

Got up to episode 6 is Bodacious Space Pirates. Credit for making the sci-fi elements actually scientific.... but the pacing and cast were incredibly boring. I would be further in if the site I was watching it on was not going through massive server changes. Guess tomorrow I take on anime adaptions of eroge junk.

I'm watching City Hunter for the first time. Season 1, episode 7. Awesome show so far.

Watch out for City Hunter II... it turns into a flat-out comedy for a while.

But yeah... the first series OP... MORE '80s THAN MIAMI VICE, RAMBO, AND THE BREAKFAST CLUB COMBINED!!

Not anime but anime/manga based. Did not know they rebooted GTO live action in 2012. So far I like the original live action cast (and OP theme ) better but this versions got Ryuji and Saejima in it. Gotta say the new Onizuka Eikichi actually looks like the manga version but Takashi Sorimachi embodies the character better. Still let's give this a shot.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-3i4ztdc_keY/T_cPyUHma-I/AAAAAAAAIbY/pyiGmKmiE88/s1600/vlcsnap-2012-07-07-01h39m10s20.png

Poison is still the better theme.

So Discotek Media has picked up a new series and are hinting at what it might be.

The clues are.

So bad its good.

Really violent.

Never been released on dvd in North America.

What does that sound like to you guys? I'm guessing its Baoh, Angel Cop, or Violence Jack. They already released Mad Bull 34 and Devilman. Its not Devil Lady because ADV released that on DVD a long time ago.

I'm watching "Attack on Titan" on Netflix. Up to episode 6 and liking it so far, I hope it does not fall apart at the end like some shows do.

It's a pretty solid show through the whole run.

The big problem it DOES have is at the end it... just ends. They finish the arc they're adapting at the moment and then just call it quits.

Which isn't to say it's a bad show, really.

But at the point it ends, there's some major plot threads left unresolved.

It's a pretty solid show through the whole run.

The big problem it DOES have is at the end it... just ends. They finish the arc they're adapting at the moment and then just call it quits.

Which isn't to say it's a bad show, really.

But at the point it ends, there's some major plot threads left unresolved.

Yeah, I went straight into reading the manga as soon as the last episode was over. At least, until it got licensed for the US. At that point my manga site dropped the title. How's the dub?

Edited by Kelsain

Watch out for City Hunter II... it turns into a flat-out comedy for a while.

But yeah... the first series OP... MORE '80s THAN MIAMI VICE, RAMBO, AND THE BREAKFAST CLUB COMBINED!!

Yeah, that's what I noticed, haha! So 80's. It's a nostaligia thing for the wife, she used to watch City Hunter and Ranma 1/2 when she was little. The content would never fly as a children's cartoon here in Canada, haha!

Edited by peter

Yeah, I went straight into reading the manga as soon as the last episode was over. At least, until it got licensed for the US. At that point my manga site dropped the title. How's the dub?

There is no dub, it is subtitled only. At least that I have seen, no audio channel option has appeared in the Netflix streaming menu.

Earlier I finished Nanatsuiro Drops, but when I get to my overview of my take on of eroge adaptions I'll talk about it, what I will talk about is the hour long OVA I just finished called Crimson Wolf. It was nice and action filled complete with a super computer summoning a giant three headed dragon.... Real shame they had a ton of sex junk in it (how the hell is this not a hentai?). If you like martial arts give it a shot, some slow pacing aside it is worth a watch.

• 3 weeks later...

been watching gag comedies lately. at the moment, Mitsudomoe keeps getting me in stitches.

OT, anybody else here keeping up with the Claymore manga? i've recently caught up with it and oh boy, now i've seen everything.

those familiar with Claymore are already used to all manner of comebacks and power-ups. even then, developments in the past couple of chapters are likely to surprise:

Teresa of the Faint Smile is back!

been watching gag comedies lately. at the moment, Mitsudomoe keeps getting me in stitches.

OT, anybody else here keeping up with the Claymore manga? i've recently caught up with it and oh boy, now i've seen everything.

those familiar with Claymore are already used to all manner of comebacks and power-ups. even then, developments in the past couple of chapters are likely to surprise:

Teresa of the Faint Smile is back!

I have to say that it was always a possibility considering what we knew about

Claire and how she was created, having a Claymore's flesh stuck inside her, and not a Yoma.. Teresa and Prisicilla duking it out at the end is a good finale IMO and I hope the mangaka doesn't extend it tirelessly.

Having said this, I'd love it if we could get a sequel to the anime now that the manga is close to finishing.

I have to say that it was always a possibility considering what we knew about

Claire and how she was created, having a Claymore's flesh stuck inside her, and not a Yoma.. Teresa and Prisicilla duking it out at the end is a good finale IMO and I hope the mangaka doesn't extend it tirelessly.

Having said this, I'd love it if we could get a sequel to the anime now that the manga is close to finishing.

indeed, i was always aware of that possibility but nonetheless didn't think they would actually pull it out of the hat, and certainly not in such a literal fashion.

i do like the idea of things coming full circle and i am beside myself with delight at seeing her again.

an anime sequel is quite unlikely though given how the anime ending diverged from the manga. i'd love to be wrong about this though and will be happy to forgive any retcon.

alternatively, i will also be sated if they just released PVC figures of the other Claymores, Teresa and Galatea in particular.

indeed, i was always aware of that possibility but nonetheless didn't think they would actually pull it out of the hat, and certainly not in such a literal fashion.

i do like the idea of things coming full circle and i am beside myself with delight at seeing her again.

an anime sequel is quite unlikely though given how the anime ending diverged from the manga. i'd love to be wrong about this though and will be happy to forgive any retcon.

alternatively, i will also be sated if they just released PVC figures of the other Claymores, Teresa and Galatea in particular.

I'd just retcon that anime original ending and go from there.

Having said that, I have no idea if Claymore ever did well saleswise in Japan.

I thought this topic would NEVER be bumped. Anyway....

So at the beginning of the month I found another source to finish Bodacious Space Pirates in dub because I did not want to continue in subs, I managed to finish it a couple weeks ago. This series had some good pacing in some episodes, nice use of science, and the final four episodes were good. However the cast was boring, other episodes were horribly slow paced, the focus kept jumping around, and that younger princess really did not to be in the cast especially when she goes "this ship with irreplacable data, tens of thousands of lives, and lost knowledge should be destroyed because I am a middle schooler that sees my family losing political power!" How dumb. I am also sure you cannot have your niece married off against her will to politicians. Also I was joking about this series having lesbians.... And there actually were lesbians! What a twist. In all serious this was mediocre overall with too many dumb moments that prevented this this from being good.

Yesterday I finished Daimidaler The Sound Robot after seeing the first nine episodes in a row a few weeks back and GOOD LORD THIS WAS HORRIBLE. Without a doubt one of the worst anime ever made complete with over use of ecchi, vicious good guys, incredibly stupid and incompetent bad guys, and THE LAZIEST MONSTER OF THE WEEK DESIGNS EVER. YOU DO NOT REUSE ONE DESIGN FOR HALF THE SERIES! Only the mecha, action, and pacing were actually any good even if I found the music okay, I have to give it credit for good pacing because the vast majority of bad anime I watch never get that down.

Finally I finished Nobunaga The Fool which I also watched three weeks ago with the finale being today. This is without a doubt one of the best anime of all time, top 15 easily. It was theatrical, the cast was all relevant, the mecha and action were great, the philosophy was heavy, it took itself seriously, there was very little fan service, the visuals were astounding, the pacing was fast, and the ending was very fitting. Easily the best anime of the decade, bar none. The only thing that needed improvement was the music as those were only just okay, if that was improved it may have been top 10 or even top 5. Nice job Shoji Kawamori, you have saved mecha anime from the hell Valvrave left behind.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

So, I got bitten by the ecchi bug and binge-watched a couple of series this past week. Normally, I dislike ecchi anime, but I did my best to enjoy the story that was being told. Unfortunately, I did not get the endings I was hoping for in either series.

I checked out Ladies vs. Butlers! first and it had some character progression and a pretty wide variety of different personalities to go with each one. However, the main male lead, while a pretty nice guy and unfortunate victim of bad circumstances, showed his empty-headedness at the end of the series. I know most series involve characters who are in their teens, but they can't all be this dumb when it comes to the matters of the heart. I love tsunderes and Selnia was a great one. This one isn't good enough to recommend, but it might be somewhat entertaining. Only 12 eps, so it isn't too much of a time commitment.

Afterwards, I watched seasons 1 and 2 of Freezing. I had high hopes for this one because it looked like the female lead was going to be a damn good character. The male lead is your typical nice guy who only occasionally shows that he has a pair of balls between those legs. I can't complain too much about him, but Sattelizer, the female lead had her ups and downs. This series has some fairly graphic violence, which includes some dismemberment and blood splatters. However, I always laughed when the first damage a female took in battle was always shown by tearing up the uniform covering her chest. I mean, I can see it happening on a rare occasion, but it was like every time. There's a lot of action in this series and some slightly heartwarming moments, but when the s**t hit the fan at the end of the second season, one of the supporting cast comes out of nowhere and goes godlike on the final boss. It just seemed like the author wrote himself or herself into a corner and this is how he or she got out of it.

Anyway, the main complaint I have about both series is:

Even though the choice is obvious, the authors avoid resolving the love triangles. I want to see some struggle between the male and female leads, but I look forward to the payoff; those moments where you know just about how much they really care for each other. After finally seeing things eye to eye, they are able to tackle any obstacle that comes their way and you know they'll end up together for a long time after the series is over.

I guess what I want is too much to ask for, in most cases...

I stopped watching The Irregular at Magic High School because the male lead is just too OP. Every challenge that he faces is met with cool, calm, overwhelming force. This "high school student" seems to have a vast knowledge of the political state of the country and always makes the right decision, no matter what. Every girl is in love with him (including his sister, ugh) and all of the other students are forced to take a backseat to this guy. I might come back to finish the series, but right now... meh...

Chaika - The Coffin Princess is still going strong. The story is entertaining, the characters are all pretty interesting, and there is always plenty of action. On top of that, there has been absolutely zero fan service! What? You can make a good anime series without impossibly-built female characters? No groping or nudity, either?? Shocking! I'm pleasantly surprised at how well this series has been going and am putting the thumbs up! out there for anyone looking for a good series to follow.

I'm also following Brynhildr in the Darkness. There's ups and downs in this one. While the story is somewhat interesting, it's turning into a super-harem series. The male lead is a smart guy and has some guts, but he's still not smart enough to know when the perfect woman is crushing on him. There has been some fan-service in this series and it seems to happen once per episode. One of the female characters is usually the cause of the fan-service, always being a c**k-hungry nuisance to the male lead. Other than that, it's pretty interesting to follow. Oh, and the first opening music was awesome. They changed the OP in about episode 10; I've never seen an American metal band used as the opening music before. I haven't heard their music before, but it's done by a band named "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". Interesting factoid... This series is not perfect, but worth checking out.

I stopped watching The Irregular at Magic High School because the male lead is just too OP. Every challenge that he faces is met with cool, calm, overwhelming force. This "high school student" seems to have a vast knowledge of the political state of the country and always makes the right decision, no matter what. Every girl is in love with him (including his sister, ugh) and all of the other students are forced to take a backseat to this guy. I might come back to finish the series, but right now... meh...

I'm actually enjoying this series because it's soooo bad that it's brilliant. The MC is so flawless that you get the feeling that he could cure cancer, discover how to do cold fusion, beat Chuck Norris in a fight and impregnate every female in the room by just breathing the same air as them. The term Gary Stu was created for this guy. At some point I'm assuming that the guys who wrote the series might want to introduce some kind of tension into the show, but I won't hold my breath. It's hard to believe that Madhouse was behind this show.

I take it as a twist on the harem genre. Almost all the harem anime I watched, it's about lots of girls loving a loser. Now this series give a good reason why all the girls want him. I'm just waiting for the rude awakening when he meets his match.

Not anime but anime/manga based. Did not know they rebooted GTO live action in 2012. So far I like the original live action cast (and OP theme ) better but this versions got Ryuji and Saejima in it. Gotta say the new Onizuka Eikichi actually looks like the manga version but Takashi Sorimachi embodies the character better. Still let's give this a shot.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-3i4ztdc_keY/T_cPyUHma-I/AAAAAAAAIbY/pyiGmKmiE88/s1600/vlcsnap-2012-07-07-01h39m10s20.png

Poison is still the better theme.

Oh man, I loved both of those live action shows! I think the only thing I didn't like out of both were the movies based on the original live action TV series. Where Onizuka goes to different schools and none of his normal students are there.

Yeah, but I'm a couple eps behind. It hasn't really wowed me.

ditto. stopped viewing it after just an ep and a half. and i am relieved that initial D's finally finished. i can't figure out how i lost interest with the takumi vs shinji battle and just jumped to where i figured their fight would end lol.

now that nobunaga the fool's done, i'll just have to content myself with knights of sidonia.

Edited by nugundam93

an anime sequel is quite unlikely though given how the anime ending diverged from the manga.

imo, they should make a remake (just like what they did with FMA), together with other manga that got butchered due to lack of material (example, Soul Eater and Shaman King to name a few)

so nobunaga the fool is good? I have to drop it 1/3 of the show since I kinda feel that it is not making any sense. So maybe i should go back and watch it again.

imo, they should make a remake (just like what they did with FMA), together with other manga that got butchered due to lack of material (example, Soul Eater and Shaman King to name a few)

so nobunaga the fool is good? I have to drop it 1/3 of the show since I kinda feel that it is not making any sense. So maybe i should go back and watch it again.

I finally caught up with the last episodes of Nobunaga the Fool and must say that I thought it was pretty mediocre. The premise was good, and so is the art and the use of CG, but I thought the plot was unnecessarily contrived and the characterizations are far from stellar. I think this anime was a bad case of trying too much, to mix too many elements together and failing to deliver good solid storytelling. Just my .02.